Jim Thomas NFL Chat - 7/26/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below.
*********************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_20

Gotta-Support-The.jpg

We're starting a little earlier today because of a podcast scheduled with Orlando Pace, who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 6.

Also, some (former) Rams fans in St. Louis, say they have received e-mails to purchase new Rams hats, and aren't happy about it. Anyone here get those e-mails?

------------
Be honest, did you remember Dave Barr?

Yes, I do remember Dave Barr. I remember talking to him briefly at the Matthews-Dickey Boys and Girls Club, where the Rams practiced in 1995, the inaugural season. The player I had to double-check was Clifton Crosby who appeared in a couple off games for the '99 season.
----------
yes, Jim, I did receive an email for the LA Rams hats. Makes me sick to my stomach

Dr. Mizzou can you send an e-mail to jthomas@post-dispatch.com? I'd like to contact you later. To anyone who received the Rams email. Please email me at jthomas@post-dispatch.com.
----------
This is truly outrageous. Today I got an email from the LA Rams trying to sell Rams' hats and jerseys. Are they nuts? Anyone else get such an email? Your thoughts.

Yeah, seems like a lot of people got the e-mail.
------------
Is this FINALLY the end of the line for Aldon Smith?

Not quite. But I think he's close.
----------
I knew Aldon Smith a little at Mizzou. We had biology class together in 2010. Super nice guy, it is really sad to see what has happened to him. You just wonder what happened in his mind when he left Missouri and went to the Bay Area.

Interesting. Yeah, I don't know much about his time at Mizzou.
----------
Aldon Smith, not so smart. There weren't any warning signs when he came out of Mizzou, right?

Also, I did receive the email about Los Angeles Rams hats....just laughed and clicked the unsubscribe button in the email.

Thanks.
------------
Were you invited to the Friday dinner with the Rams legends? Would've loved to be a fly on the wall there.

I attended a media session before hand at the restaurant.. It was great to see the players, and it was great to see them interact with their former teammates. After a couple of minutes together, the old stories start flowing like the players were still in the locker room together.
-----------
Yes - I got one of the hat emails: I unsubscribed to the Rams emails immediately.

In recognition of the event last weekend, my 5 best wins in St. Louis Rams history (not counting the Super Bowl or NFC Championship Game wins: too easy):
1. 49-37 Divisional Playoff win over Minnesota in Jan. 2000 - almost better than winning the Super Bowl
2. 27-20 Divisional Playoff win at Seattle in Jan. 2005 - 3 for 3 that season!
3. 42-20 over San Francisco in Oct. 1999 - finally breaking the 49ers losing streak
4. 33-27 (OT) at Seattle in Oct. 2004 - the most unlikely comeback!
5. 27-14 over San Francisco in Dec. 2001 - Niners were treating it like a "see where we're at" game. As they found out.
Honorable Mention: 16-13 (OT) over San Francisco in Dec. 2012 - hey, a win in the Fisher Era! Memorable game, though.

I like your list. I'd have to include the very first St. Louis Rams victory, 17-14, at Green Bay. Unheralded second-year pro Isaac Bruce blocked a Craig Hentrich punt, getting to the ball so quickly it hadn't even reached Hentrich's foot. Then on the very next play, he lined up at wide receiver and caught a touchdown pass.

Some other's to consider, the Trent Green revenge game in 2000, with Mike Martz pouring it on in a 57-31 victory over San Diego _ 13 months after Rodney Harrison crashed into Green's leg in a preseason game; or how about that 20-17 overtime victory at Philadelphia to start the 2001 season.
----------
Jim do you remember on maybe back to back plays where Ironhead Heyward and Toby Wright hit each other? I think they each won one of those. Always have tried to find a clip to no avail.

I believe it was in '96 or '97, in Atlanta.
----------
In his MMQB column, this week, Peter King says the NFL doesn't have enough minority head coaches given their success (with which I concur) but also makes a couple of other interesting points including: Head coaching is a young person's game and head coaches don't get enough time to succeed. Do you think Brooks, Linehan or Spagnuolu could've made the Rams winners, eventually? Do you think younger NFL head coaches would be better?

Of the three, I think Brooks might have been the best head coach. With a strong general manager _ he was saddled with Steve Ortmayer _ he might have had a chance. Remember, Big Daddy got only two seasons. John Shaw felt bad about that in retrospect, and it factored into him giving Dick Vermeil a third year in 1999.
-----------
Hey Jimbo-Come party with me! - by Tre Mason

242673.gif

Sorry Tre. Not much of a partier these days.
----------
And, to keep things in balance, my 5 most excruciating losses (not counting the Super Bowl 'loss' to the Patriots):
1. 29-23 (OT) to Carolina in the Divisional Playoff in Jan. 2004 - to this day I can't think about this game without getting angry!
2. 31-28 at New Orleans in the Divisional Playoff in Jan. 2000 - if Az-Hakim doesn't fumble that punt, I still think the Rams come back to win
3. 38-35 at Tampa Bay in Dec. 2000 - Monday night, another galling loss
4. 24-22 at Seattle in Nov. 2006 - thank you, Richie Incognito
5. 10-3 at Philadelphia in Dec. 2002 - the true end of the Greatest Show on Turf era
Honorable Mention: either of 2 home losses to Seattle in 2007 (24-19) or 2013 (14-9) - gotta punch it in , guys

Excellent choices, Kman. Can't argue with anny of them. The '02 game in Philly was the game in which Warner's hand was bothering him badly and the aftermath led to the Brenda-gate outburst.
----------
My outsider view of Spags was that he was an insecure coach who wasn't a true leader. Were the rumors true that he banned Hanifan from using the gym at Rams Park and took down pictures from the GSOT era?

large_spagnuolo81509

Yes, Hanifan was not allowed in the building. And yes, the pictures were taken down. Spags is a good man, but was just too much of a control freak as a head coach. Insecurity may have played a role in that.
------------
To add to the excruciating loss list, how about the loss to Detroit in 1999. 4th and 18 or something right? Or, the loss to the Titans in '99. Wasn't there a terrible non-call on a roughing the kicker that could've made a difference in that one?

Taje Allen getting beat in Detroit! Some of the Rams in town for the Legends game were joking about that Friday night.
----------
Any behind the scenes anecdotes you can share from the Legends of the Dome "reunion" this past weekend?

Mike Furrey is head coach at Limestone College, a Div. II school in South Carolina. Mike Jones is head coach at Lincoln U., a Div. II in Jeff City, Mo. I suggested to Furrey that the schedule each other. Most players signed memorabilia with their uniform numbers. I was asked to sign a few items, and put 431 next to my signature. That's the number of preseason, regular season, and playoff games for the Rams during their 21 seasons in St. Louis.

All in all, it was a great afternoon. The players genuinely enjoyed being there, and with rare exception patiently signed everything put in from of them. Not only were the former players on hand, but former Rams PR personnel, game day (press box) personnel, team doctors, trainers, equipment guys were all on hand to help run the event on their own time. It was great to see them all.
-----------
Who does better this year, Bradford - Eagles or Rams?

I'll go Bradford-Eagles, but not by an overwhelming amount. I see the EAgles as like an 8-8 squad.

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

----------
I heard on the radio, or in a chat, or on Twitter, or somewhere, that you're going to the opening of Rams training camp. One question: Why?

Because the team's first practices in California as well as the first home game in California are part of the story of the team leaving St. Louis. If you are following our coverage of the Rams, it has been cut back drastically from what it used to be, and that will continue to be the case. But we will continue to have some coverage.

Many fans are still interested because they want to root against the team. I've had many other fans tell me they hate what Kroenke did, but hold no ill will against the players, especially those who played in St. Louis. I've had some fans in StL tell me it's the only team they've ever known, and will continue to follow the Rams.
----------
How much do you think the Rams will miss Jenkins this year? It seems as if he caught inordinate amount of criticism among fans. He stayed relatively healthy and outside of a few bad decisions seemed to be the Rams most productive corner since his arrival in STL.

Jenkins has a lot of talent, and was serious about his craft at Rams Park. But he could also be a selfish player, gambling for interceptions and getting burned. His tackling was inconsistent. Saying that, his play last season was easily his most consistent as a Ram. If E.J.Gaines returns to his 2014 form as a rookie, the absence of Jenkins will be minimized. If not, of if Trumaine Johnson is injured, then there will be problems.
----------
Any chance of Kurt Warner making a run as a third party candidate this year? He'd have my vote and I think he'd win in a landslide (and i probably don't even agree with him on most issues).

That's funny. I've never asked Kurt about any political ventures. Don't think it's in the Cards.
----------
Will you still be reporting on the Rams or shifting into more of a columnist role?

My new job description is NFL writer. So there will be some Rams coverage, but it will be more broad-based coverage. Last week, for instance, I wrote about the possibility of the Raiders moving to Las Vegas. For this Wednesday _ tomorrow _ I'm writing 10 questions (and answers) around the NFL as training camps open.
---------
Jim, have any of the GSOT players said anonymously anything bad about the NFL or Kroenke?

Not as much as you'd think. Otherwise no comment.
---------
Jim, was there any talk among the guys this past weekend about trying to do a charity game again in the future or was this it?

Some thought it would be a good idea. But the cost and time expended by Tiffani Burris of the Isaac Bruce Foundation and Bruce himself, probably means it's a one-shot deal. For example, it cost more than $100,000 just to open the dome doors for business. Bruce got no breaks on that from the stadium people. Plus, it's difficult to get all these players together at one time.
----------
Since you're doing more reporting on the entire NFL, now, could you do reporting for fantasy football?

Thanks for asking. As part of a regular Sunday NFL package we're planning, we will have some sort of Fantasy Football presence.
---------
Where do you see, the PD NFL coverage in 3 years? Next year, I expect to see a heavy Rams coverage with more coverage than previous years of the other regional teams (Chiefs, Colts, and etc) but in three years and as the Rams roster churns, there will be less connection with the team.

That's a good question. So the short answer is probably less Rams coverage and more regional or overall league coverage as the years go by.
----------
How come no Faulk this past weekend? He was at a golf tournament? Weak. In my opinion, he has been tepid at best in his defense of St. Louis' football fans, in the wake of StanK's condemnation of our value as a football town. I get that he works for NFL network, but so does Kurt.

Yeah, I talked to Marshall about this a couple of weeks ago, and I believe he was in the big charity pro-am at Lake Tahoe and couldn't get out of that commitment.
----------
Josh Gordon had drug issues in college. I believe he has 3 suspensions in the NFL. I believe in second chances, but what kind of message is Goodell sending. When is enough enough? Thanks.

Well, there's no indication that he will make the Browns' final roster. And yes, Gordon has had more chances here than many people get in life.
---------
Jake Long to the Ravens. Not that he's away from that cancer of a team...pro bowler again?

Don't think the knees and other assorted injuries/surgeries over the years will allow it.
---------
Several teams, including the Rams, have made big and risky investments in unproven QBs, this offseason. Who do you think made the best bet?

I still think Paxton Lynch could very well be considered the best of the lot when all is said and done in a few years. Plus Denver didn't have to give up all those picks to get him like Philly did for Wentz and the Rams did for Goff.

OhComeOn.gif

---------
What are your thoughts about moving T. J. McDonald to LB to replace Akeem Ayers (hybrid S/LB)?

You know, T.J.'s hard-hitting playing style could make him an effective undersized LB, but the Rams already have one of those in Mark Barron. They probably don't need two.
----------
Do you think if the Rams get off to a good start the rating here will drop? I will watch every week as long as they're getting blown out.

Interesting question. Will most of the Rams fans watching here root for the team to lose, or to win? It could be a mixture.
---------
I sure hope Ike's foundation didn't get stuck with a bill after the event last weekend. Any info on that? I was hoping more fans would show up than that. I'm sure he didn't, but that would've been a great opportunity for Kroenke to make amends...maybe a nice sized donation towards the event and Ike's foundation.

I'm told they made a modest profit when all was said and done, but nothing to write home about. The only Rams involvement that I'm aware of was sending a list of former dome suite holders to the Legends organizers, but most of those e-mails bounced back. The Bruce Foundation people asked for a season-ticket list from the Rams _ for help in contacting potential Legends ticket buyers _ but I was told the Rams declined to do so.

The LA Rams had an employee there who's involved in the team's charity flag football game in Carson, Calif. next month. Interesting, isn't it, that after zero flag football games in 21 seasons in St. Louis, the Rams decide to hold one in their first year back in LA next month, just a few weeks after Bruce's game.
----------
Attendance figure for Legends of Dome was just over 10,000, correct? Did you get any sense that Bruce was disappointed in turnout?

Yes, he would've liked to have seen more people there, but was very happy about the response and the warm feelings generated by those who were there.
---------
More about moving T. J. opposite of Barron. I was thinking more into the future if Ayers doesn't work out

Again, I don't think you necessarily want two undersized linebackers lining up _ meaning Barron and McDonald both lining up at linebacker at the same time.
---------
What we're the deciding factors that led to the cards leaving after 1987?

I was covering Mizzou football and basketball at the time, so I wasn't involved in the coverage. But it was all about the stadium, a football only stadium because the Big Red as they were called locally at the time had been sharing Busch Stadium with the baseball squad. The big difference between then and now as I recall is that St. Louis civic, business, and political leaders didn't really have anything resembling a stadium plan.

This time around, with the Rams, there was a stadium plan in place by Peacock & Blitz. A stadium plan that Houston owner Robert McNair, chairman of the NFL finance committee, said was "pretty close" to being a good plan in early December.
-----------
See another team that may have interest in Foles for a backup?

Unless there are some injury needs that crop up in the preseason/training camp, I can't see anybody trading for him. So teams I think will wait to see if he gets released at the end of camp.
----------
With ESPN Nick Wagnor headed to the 49ers any chance you can take his spot for the Rams?

Nope. But best of luck to Nick, a good man and a good reporter.
---------
do u think st.louis will ever get a team again

Doesn't seem likely in the short term. For one, I don't think the current group of civic, business, and political leaders have any appetite for pursuing a team, not after they spent lots of time, effort, and money ($16 million) to keep the Rams here and felt like they got nothing resembling a fair shake in return from the league _ and certainly not Kroenke. I do wonder about the long-term viability of the Jaguars in Jacksonville. But that's a ways down the road, if it materializes.
-----------
Any chance Higgbee beats out Kendriks in camp?

Slim. . . and none
----------
Question for the big O.. As a HOF left tackle what does he see or not see in GRob that is causing him to get so many penalties and does he think GRob can overcome those issues?

I'll pass it along.
----------
Fisher should have picked up Anquan Boldin while he could and cut Quick real quick?

I think Boldin would prefer playing for a contender, particularly at this stage of his career.

GIF-Gorilla-Attack.gif

So the Rams aren't even contenders, Jim?
----------
Any injury report from Saturday? I saw more than a few guys holding on to their hammys by the 3rd quarter.

Jeff Wilkins suffered at the least a sprained ankle when he was thrown down on the sidelines by his former long snapper, Chris Massey. His left ankle was wrapped as he left the field Saturday, said it would truly mess up his golf game for a while. I'm sure there were plenty of aches and pains for others on Sunday and Monday as well.
----------
I'm at a weird pace as far as what I would like to see the PD cover NFL-wise. As an organization, I hope the Rams continue to perform exactly as they did here for the last 12 years indefinitely. However, there were players who showed true compassion for STL fans (Heck, Quinn among others) that I will continue to root for and Gurley has a fan for life for immediately acknowledging STL fans when he won the Offensive Rookie of the Year award. However again, I'm looking forward to your broader-based coverage of the league.

We plan to make some training camp stops in the Midwest. And we'll be in Arrowhead on Sept. 11 for the Chiefs' season opener.
---------
Last year Jeff Fisher was on the sideline(forget the game) with the player huddled around him while he was trying to motivate them. I knew then that the Rams were missing players how were leaders. Now with C. Long and JL55 gone they are even more devoid of players who are leaders in my mind. How do you see stepping up now on O and D?

I think Ogletree has some leadership qualities that will come to the forefront this season at middle linebacker. William Hayes has always been a team leader. On offense, I'm thinking Cory Harkey, maybe Lance Kendricks.
---------
Where their guys you were surprised to see didnt show for the Legends game?

Not really. I had contact with Faulk and London Fletcher, and knew they had commitments they couldn't get out of. I was told Kevin Carter also had such a commitment. As for Steven Jackson, I was told he's still contemplating playing this year, so he didn't want to commit. And Long and Laurinaitis are reporting to camps this week and I'm sure didn't want to pull a hammy or something in a flag football game.

Fred Miller had agreed to play but didn't show. Don't know why. Tommy Polley was a surprise appearance, organizers didn't know he was coming, but there he was. (He was the one _ the only one _ on the field without a legends jersey.)
----------
I pull for individual success of SOME of the players, especially after they leave the team via FA, but hope for the franchise to fail miserably. I'm not sure if that's possible, but that's what I feel. Make sense? I wonder if others feel that way.

Makes sense. I'm sure there are others that feel the same way.

tumblr_mfoo8cfnNv1rgmzzzo1_500.gif

------------
With no injuries involved can Reynolds beat out Saffold straight up?

Can't see it. Reynolds is tough and smart. But Saffold is strong and athletic.
-----------
Do you see enough improvement in the Rams' o-line?

A healthy Saffold means instant improvement right off the bat. A healthy Jamon Brown and another year for Rob Havenstein should only help. Greg Robinson of course is a key.
----------
I'll be rooting for certain ex-StL Rams (Long, Laurinitis, Gurley). But, I hope the Rams go 0 for eternity. I also hope they continue to have the worst HC and GM in the business. Also, you may still have to deal with him, so you probably can't answer honestly...but, did you always know Demoff was a little weasel?

bcga.gif

Honestly, Kevin and I always had a good relationship. Sure we had some ups and downs. But I can only think of one time he misled me. I get the ill-will. It's totally understood. And I'm sure there are some things Kevin regrets doing or saying and would have done differently.
----------
not much of an o-line, Case as QB, no-one to catch a ball....how long before the Rams use up Gurley?

That could be a concern given Gurley's past injury history and the lack of anything resembling a proven passing game.
-----------
I always get the impression that the national media thinks the Rams have moved back "where they belong", hence there's really no outrage on the move outside of St. Louis. Seems to me that the GSOT was undervalued nationally way back when too; there seemed to be a bias against St. Louis as the Rams' home the whole time.

Also, was there any bias against the Rams because they were the only team owned by a woman (seen by some as 'eccentric')?

I know some in the national media have expressed that sentiment to me, and if that's the case, perhaps the Lakers should return to Minneapolis, the Clippers to San Diego, and the Dodgers to Brooklyn to square all accounts. And I guess the Rams by all rights should return to Cleveland _ they spent their first decade there after all.

The Greatest Show Rams were considered a finesse team by some, and trust me, that description rankled Martz and the players at the time. But I think they got plenty of respect overall. In the case of Georgia, I think some of those feelings were present when it came to the league and some club owners _ she was eccentric. But I don't recall that such feelings were prevalent among league owners however.
----------
OK, that wraps it up for this one. Thanks for playing. Talk to you all next week.

iqt.gif

-----------

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How come I didn't get the email?:rant:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I bet St. Louis based proctologist a are making a killing these days prescribing butt twitch ointments.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hey Jim, I can't stop stop asking questions about the Rams, as long as we both hate them. The nerve of them trying to keep me as a fan.

Signed:
Dipshit.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I know. The melodramatic moral outrage. :rolleyes: I'm surprised they had time to express their disgust at being marketed for Rams gear, with all their duties this week at the Convention, and all.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Was disappointed in this part of it... you'd think they'd help out Isaac Bruce a bit since it benefited charity. But nope...

• I sure hope Ike's foundation didn't get stuck with a bill after the event last weekend. Any info on that? I was hoping more fans would show up than that. I'm sure he didn't, but that would've been a great opportunity for Kroenke to make amends...maybe a nice sized donation towards the event and Ike's foundation.
    by rp 12:58 PM
  • 0e475d5f-323f-402d-8cf9-425ee2567049.jpg

I'm told they made a modest profit when all was said and done, but nothing to write home about. The only Rams involvement that I'm aware of was sending a list of former dome suite holders to the Legends organizers, but most of those e-mails bounced back. The Bruce Foundation people asked for a season-ticket list from the Rams _ for help in contacting potential Legends ticket buyers _ but I was told the Rams declined to do so. The LA Rams had an employee there who's involved in the team's charity flag football game in Carson, Calif. next month. Interesting, isn't it, that after zero flag football games in 21 seasons in St. Louis, the Rams decide to hold one in their first year back in LA next month, just a few weeks after Bruce's game.
    by jthomas 1:05 PM

EastRam

Pro Bowler
The gifs were funny!

Pretty good chat as always. JT always just reports the facts.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Was disappointed in this part of it... you'd think they'd help out Isaac Bruce a bit since it benefited charity. But nope...

• I sure hope Ike's foundation didn't get stuck with a bill after the event last weekend. Any info on that? I was hoping more fans would show up than that. I'm sure he didn't, but that would've been a great opportunity for Kroenke to make amends...maybe a nice sized donation towards the event and Ike's foundation.
    by rp 12:58 PM
  • 0e475d5f-323f-402d-8cf9-425ee2567049.jpg

I'm told they made a modest profit when all was said and done, but nothing to write home about. The only Rams involvement that I'm aware of was sending a list of former dome suite holders to the Legends organizers, but most of those e-mails bounced back. The Bruce Foundation people asked for a season-ticket list from the Rams _ for help in contacting potential Legends ticket buyers _ but I was told the Rams declined to do so. The LA Rams had an employee there who's involved in the team's charity flag football game in Carson, Calif. next month. Interesting, isn't it, that after zero flag football games in 21 seasons in St. Louis, the Rams decide to hold one in their first year back in LA next month, just a few weeks after Bruce's game.
    by jthomas 1:05 PM

Yup, That sucked.

Wonder how Bruuuuuuue reacted to that?

RamzFanz

Damnit

It wasn't the Rams, it was the NFL shop.

I'm still a Rams fan, but it did bother me.

You're trying to sell me gear after taking my team away under false pretenses? Really?

I totally get the hate. It's not even what they did, it's a business, it's how they did it.

hat (1).jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It wasn't the Rams, it was the NFL shop.

I'm still a Rams fan, but it did bother me.

You're trying to sell me gear after taking my team away under false pretenses? Really?

I totally get the hate. It's not even what they did, it's a business, it's how they did it.

View attachment 15073
It's SOP. I bought an Emmitt Smith jersey for my nephew, about 20 years ago, and I still get emails from the hated Cowboys.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I wonder if this event conflicted with the Rams plans in LA?
http://www.ramslegendsgame.com/

This event in Carson City was develop[ed/created AFTER Bruce announced the event in St. Louis. The Ram's have never had a flag football charity event in St. Louis and sent a LA Ram's employee who is working on their charity flag game to the Game in St. Louis. Wonder were the LA Rams got the idea for the charity flag football game?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This event in Carson City was develop[ed/created AFTER Bruce announced the event in St. Louis. The Ram's have never had a flag football charity event in St. Louis and sent a LA Ram's employee who is working on their charity flag game to the Game in St. Louis. Wonder were the LA Rams got the idea for the charity flag football game?
possibly....But taking emotion out of it, does it make more sense to back an event for a former home/fans that looked for an opportunity to embarrass the team? Or, use an event to remind Los Angeles of the Rams past in their new home?

Name
rick
" I'm sure Boldin would prefer to sign with a contender" Uhhh, butthurt much Jimbo??? Sure" we should listen to JT for UNBIASED Rams reporting. OK, thanks for playing JT. BTW, Boldin signed with the Lions, is that contender enough for ya butthurt-boy???

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What a bunch of fucking sad sacks. Fuck off losers.