Jake Ellenbogen's All-Time Rams Roster: Quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who's starting for your All-Time Rams squad?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Jake Ellenbogen's All-Time Rams Roster: Quarterbacks

227364_37e9a03433434b32914f4108fc4a3d74~mv2.webp

In this renewed series Jake gives you a complete all-time Rams roster going through each position. Here we start at quarterback where there were will be one starter, two backups, and an honorable mention.

Starter: Kurt Warner
227364_8d4e3943691843a4a745ad583181b1c5~mv2.jpg

upload_2017-6-19_3-33-2.gif

(50 starts, 35-15 record, 66.4 comp %, 14,447 yds, 102 TDs, 97.2 QB Rating w/ Rams)
(2x MVP, 3x Pro Bowler, 2x All-Pro, 1x Super Bowl Champion w/ Rams)
We all know the fairytale career of Kurt Warner. The one who bagged groceries dominated the NFL Europe League and the Arena League. The leader that went from being behind Brett Favre in Green Bay to going to the Rams and backing up Trent Green.

Warner may have had some luck in the form of Rodney Harrison's dirty hit that knocked Green out of the starting job in preseason, but Warner had paid his dues and when the time came he took over the job and ran away with it. Many may disagree with this choice, but the Rams only Super Bowl came from a team that was quarterbacked by Warner. Not just quarterbacked, but led in a way we had never seen, leading a team that truly changed the game by shattering records across the board including setting a new record for team offense points scored until the recent Patriots dynasty broke that.

The Rams were bad before this magical run with a magical quarterback, a phenomenal offensive mind and offensive weapons that would give defenses nightmares. It didn't end the way we all may have wanted, but there is no denying that Warner is a Rams legend and with his 32,344 passing yards, 65.5 completion percentage, 208 passing touchdowns and career 93.7 quarterback rating in 116 games as an NFL starter. It's easy to understand why this newly enshrined Pro Football Hall-of-Famer would be starting on my all-time Rams roster. Warner added two MVP awards, two All-Pro awards and four Pro Bowl team appearances to his resume of an impressive career.

No.2 QB: Norm Van Brocklin
227364_b1c9988743cf4707a8c7d1b3c895cc17~mv2.jpg

(65 starts, 42-20-3 record, 53.3 comp %, 16,114 yds, 118 TDs, 74.7 QB Rating w/ Rams)
(1x MVP, 6x Pro Bowler, 1x All-Pro, 2x NFL Champion w/ Rams)
The Dutchman, as they called him, had one of the most prolific careers for an NFL quarterback. The crazy thing about Norm Van Brocklin was the fact he was drafted to a team that already had a legendary quarterback in Bob Waterfield. Can you even imagine that today? Waterfield was 29 years of age when the Rams made the gutsy selection of Van Brocklin. That's like if you took Aaron Rodgers and how much of a superstar he is today and drafted the top overall quarterback because you couldn't pass up on him.

Now, with that being said The Dutchman was picked in the fourth round of the draft due to concerns he would ultimately give up playing football. The Rams clearly grabbed the bull by the horns and pulled the trigger on an opportunity they felt they could not pass up. Rams Head coach Joe Stydahar had a plan and as crazy and diabolical as it gets, he platooned the rookie Van Brocklin with the star veteran Waterfield.

During this time they became the "Greatest Show on Grass". Stydahar turned out to be a genius with the way he utilized two would-be Hall of Famer's. The team set the crippling average of 38.8 points per game back in 1950 which has never been broken and in this day in age seeing the Greatest Show on Turf and the New England Patriots dynasty offense, I believe it will stand the test of time. Van Brocklin ended up going to six Pro Bowls and was able to end up winning two NFL Championships with the Rams. The Dutchman threw for 23,611 yards in his career to go along with a whopping 173 touchdowns through the air in 101 games started. To add to all of that his 554 passing yard record remains as the most yardage thrown for in a single-game.

No. 3 QB: Bob Waterfield
227364_e27a814ccf39484d9d03061a64fe9429~mv2.jpg

(57 starts, 14-8 record, 50.3 comp %, 11,849 yds, 97 TDs, 61.6 QB Rating w/ Rams)
(1x MVP, 2x Pro Bowler, 3x All-Pro, 2x NFL Champion w/ Rams)
The only quarterback who has had his number retired by the Rams organization falls to third-string on my roster. This, however, is not a knock on Waterfield himself. It doesn't help that we are trying to narrow this down when talking about three Hall of Famer's. Now, Waterfield's stats do not pass the eye test at all seeing as he actually had more interceptions than touchdowns which in today's league would get you a spot on the wall of shame.

Do not let the stats deceive you. First off, he was 100% Rams and he proved that playing his whole entire career there and then when he stopped playing he coached the Rams. Today's game is completely different to when Waterfield was playing. Waterfield was one who single-handedly carried the Rams to wins in their seasons. Waterfield not only dominated with his arm, but he also dominated with his leg.

How dominant was Waterfield you may ask? So dominant, the Rams owner Dan Reeves decided to make his the highest paid player in the league in just his rookie season after leading his team in his rookie year to win a championship over the Washington Redskins. Again, the stats may not look pretty, but Waterfield is a Hall of Famer and a two-time NFL champion.

Honorable mention

Roman Gabriel
227364_d7d2d41ecdb54927b7a64ceeb8045182~mv2_d_1280_1528_s_2.jpg

This is one of the tougher honorable mentions on this roster. Roman Gabriel was fantastic with the Rams, he isn't quite a Hall of Famer, but led the Rams to a 74-39-6 record as a starter in 119 games over a span of 11 years. Gabriel was, of course, a former MVP and thus had to be mentioned in this piece in some facet. It will likely hold him back that he never won a championship like the top three mentioned, but you know your team has had a nice rich history if an MVP at QB is an honorable mention. This is the pick I expect to receive plenty of disagreement on.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Are you okay with this position group or do I need to make some shakeups? Let me know! Be sure to stay tuned for the next article in this when we tackle running backs.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I imagine the Bulgerites will be weighing in on this list...lol. But yeah, you have to take Warner considering the way the game is played today. Although the Rams were leading the way with integration, it was still a mostly white boy league in Waterfield and Van Brocklin's days. I think less athletic players on football teams back then, accentuated the performance of players like Jim Brown and later Gail Sayers who were very athletic. Warner played with the best, against the best....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There is only one QB jersey I have ever donned and IMO, the greatest QB to wear the horns is the man that triggered the greatest show on turf and BTW no questioning the size of Kurt's hands.
120909022849-belief-warners-4-story-top.jpg

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
Why Warner OR Bulger? People act like it's one or the other. Bulger was fucking good. He couldn't sustain the success like Warner did, but his candle burned bright for several years.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why Warner OR Bulger? People act like it's one or the other. Bulger was freaking good. H.

Bulger was good, but not in Kurt's class. I liked Bulger, I loved Kurt. Granted I understand why the Rams went with Bulger and Warner needed a whole year to get the hand healthy and realize he needed to wear gloves, but Warner was superior and made great throws in the clutch.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why Warner OR Bulger? People act like it's one or the other. Bulger was freaking good. He couldn't sustain the success like Warner did, but his candle burned bright for several years.

C'mon Juggs, you know where this coming from, right?

The great Warner vs Bulger War's after the team dumped a Hall of Famer for his back up. It was the Bulgerites vs the Warnerites for years, it seemed. Yes, Bulger was pretty damn good, which I meant that some might be upset that Roman Gabriel was on the list instead of him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I meant that some might be upset that Roman Gabriel was on the list instead of him.

Well, considering that Bulger came up to Roman Gabriel's belly button all of us can understand why Gabe is on the list over the West Virginia alum. Taking nothing away from Marc Bulger, but @jakebogen95 has the list correct including the cantankerous Flying Dutchman.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Got to Go-With-Gab'!! You failed to mention his 154 TD's passing for the Rams, #1 all time for the Rams! His 28 rushing TD's, Also #1 for a Rams QB! and then there's his 22,223 Yards passing #2 behind Everett, Who could also have been a choice, you didn't give us!! But as you said, they didn't give us Championships!! But I would still go with GABREIL!!

Gabriel15.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In my lifetime:
1) KW
2) Jim Everett
3) Vince Ferragamo
4) Marc Bulger

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Warner and Gabriel were top and a list without Everett? please he is at least a top 3 QB for the Rams.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ever since the phantom sack at the start of the 17 game losing streak to the 9er's I had successfully purged Everett's name from my memory. I'm going to forget him all over again.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I imagine the Bulgerites will be weighing in on this list...lol. But yeah, you have to take Warner considering the way the game is played today. Although the Rams were leading the way with integration, it was still a mostly white boy league in Waterfield and Van Brocklin's days. I think less athletic players on football teams back then, accentuated the performance of players like Jim Brown and later Gail Sayers who were very athletic. Warner played with the best, against the best....
Yeah, I know a lot of people like to throw in Everett who is 5th QB on Rams all-time for me. But, I really don't see the first two Waterfield and NVB get the credit they deserve. Why is it that Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson type of players back in the day for baseball get all the credit, but everyone wants to throw away old football players? Always found that odd.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
There is only one QB jersey I have ever donned and IMO, the greatest QB to wear the horns is the man that triggered the greatest show on turf and BTW no questioning the size of Kurt's hands.
120909022849-belief-warners-4-story-top.jpg
I love me some Warner. I completely agree with you. People act like Warner had all the talent around him and I'm not saying he didn't, but I don't care who you have if you have the talent Warner had.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Why Warner OR Bulger? People act like it's one or the other. Bulger was freaking good. He couldn't sustain the success like Warner did, but his candle burned bright for several years.
Bulger would be after Everett IMO at 6. I always respected him, he gets a bad rep, but I swear to god I have heard people describe Kyle Boller while talking about Bulger so that makes me wonder if you have a sea of Rams fans out there that think Bulger and Boller were the same QB lol