1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If We Draft An Ot With Our First Pick...

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by Rams and Gators, Jan 11, 2014.

1. tonyl711 Well-Known Member

I don't think we will see Oline in the first round, I think they will wait until the second or third round and find a tackle they can groom slowly but plug in at guard right away. the LT spot is Longs no question about that, Barkdale has shown he can handle the RT spot very well and should only get better, the need for Tackle is not as great as other needs, IMO in the second or third round you should be able to get a pretty good player to coach up, and coach B knows how to do just that.

2. iced Well-Known Member

i don't see OT in the first either, especially after the snead interview. I see a Guard in 2nd or 3rd, possibly the 4th.

I expect them to sign some for at the minimum for depth in FA

3. Alan Well-Known Member

I was just making fun of me having the same idea as you and writing about it after you do. I almost said "great minds think alike don't they?" but I already used that one recently and I don't like to repeat myself. Just like my saying "responding with". It's not easy coming up with something new each time especially when you just woke up. :heh:

It is an intriguing idea and yes, we are both brilliant! Better? :wink:

4. jap Well-Known Member

Well, I really got the idea from another member who started a thread about using Big Bad Jake at guard just like BeetleJuice. The movements at guard are more compact and quicker than what is required in space at tackle. I suspect many of Rodger's injuries came from over extending himself in space, which is less likely at guard. Perhaps Jake's problems have been similar.

The thing is: both are above average pass blockers and elite run blockers. Perhaps this could be the beginning of the new Battering Ram OL we haven't had since Eric Dickerson's heyday. Let Joe hold down the fort at RT, and get a rookie tackle or a veteran in there at LT.

5. Alan Well-Known Member

Works for me! :woot:

6. MerlinJones Well-Known Member

Ouch.

7. BonifayRam Well-Known Member

Yep thanks Saffold started OLT for Long but suffered a late 4th quarter concusion and yes your right again Chris Williams conclued the 4th quarter @ OLt and Brandon Washington @ OLG. Thanks my SWFL ROD'mer.

2 people like this.
  8. A55VA6 Shutdown Corner

If we draft an OT with our 1st pick... I'll be furious.

9. BonifayRam Well-Known Member

Yes it would upset OT Sean Hooey too because he is getting ready to start for Jake Long the first week.

2 people like this.
  10. CGI_Ram Hamburger Connoisseur

Exactly. We need premium talent that can start right away.

2 people like this.
  11. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

Heh heh. Just tryin' to get you up to speed with the finer points of blue font.:D

12. MerlinJones Well-Known Member

No worries. Thanks for the heads up.

13. MerlinJones Well-Known Member

Well, in all likelihood next season Long won't be available week 1, and Saffold and Dahl will probably be playing for different teams.

So you're comfortable going forward with the guys the the Rams have on hand then?

14. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

No problem Thad. I tend to be a bit of a smart ass but I actually was trying to help.

Cheers man.

15. MerlinJones Well-Known Member

Sincere thanks Stu. I don't post a whole lot so I appreciate any help I can get around here.

Also, I can always appreciate another smart ass in the group.

16. iced Well-Known Member

Long is supposed to be back by week 1, and they are trying to resign Saffold. Replacing Dahl with Saffold is actually an upgrade.

And free agency hasn't hit yet.

To answer your question, yes. I am content with Long at LT, Barksdale at RT, Saffold at G. the real question is Center and the other Guard spot.

curious to see how barrett jones is doing.

I actually would love to sign alex mack and have this line -

LT - Long
    G - Saffold/Jones
    C - Mack
    RT - Barksdale

but just because you don't draft an o-lineman with your first pick doesn't mean you can't get one..there will be plenty of decent guards available, like cyril richardson...possibly the notre dame kid, etc. Tackle is not the issue, interior is

17. BonifayRam Well-Known Member

I prefer two other OG's over the Jason Smith's Baylor College OG Richardson who is slated to go in the first round ...I like the tough Zach Martin & smart talented David Yankey in the second round myself.

Snead needs a 2015 ORT and a 2014 swing OT. Better prepare for the known....OLT Long has a long rehabbing event once the surgery take place no sure thing he will be ready. OT/OG Saffold is not a Ram in 2014, ORT Barksdale is not a Ram in 2015. Rams known 2014 OG 's are Dahl, Persons & Washington (none of which were starting after the last if October of 2013). Only wild card positive is Barrett Jones!

18. MerlinJones Well-Known Member

I never said they had to use the first pick on OL, I wouldn't mind, but it's not totally necessary.
    My problem is only drafting OL 4th round and later and expecting that to be good enough.

Jake Long back by week 1 is incredibly optimistic. Fisher and Snead can say whatever they want, but his injury is significant.

I really don't believe that Saffold will be back, we'll just have to see.

I'd also like to see Alex Mack on the Rams, it would be nice if that happened.

19. Alan Well-Known Member

Modest too. :wink:

20. jrry32 Well-Known Member

You play Long.