If Marshall Faulk were in charge....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

joeybittick

Rookie
Whoa... I think MF is allowing the past color his opinion of the future. Maybe when SJAX was 22 he had problems sharing time, but at 29? He has to realize it would potentially prolong his career to share time at this point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And we're all cool with his taking of a safety at #6? I mean, Barron is a very aggressive player who can bring a payload with every hit (kinda like Toby Wright), but does Marshal think safety is our biggest concern right now?

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
And we're all cool with his taking of a safety at #6? I mean, Barron is a very aggressive player who can bring a payload with every hit (kinda like Toby Wright), but does Marshal think safety is our biggest concern right now?
Yeah, all that Marshall Faulk to the Rams FO can stop now. :omg:

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Little bit of sour grapes there, Marshall?
And why would he go w/ a Safety?
Am I missing something?

GO RAMS!!!!

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
X said:
I agree, a DT would have been a better option. A safety is not going to help if the D-line does not generate pressure on the QB.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd be OK with taking Mark Barron IF he can also play corner. He's in the discussion for the BPA @ #6.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
steferfootball said:
X said:
Yeah, all that Marshall Faulk to the Rams FO can stop now. :omg:

No doubt.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
joeybittick said:
Whoa... I think MF is allowing the past color his opinion of the future. Maybe when SJAX was 22 he had problems sharing time, but at 29? He has to realize it would potentially prolong his career to share time at this point.
I love MF, but I think it was he who had the bigger issue with sharing. I think SJ has matured beyond this.

I actually thought it was kinda shitty for MF to approach the situation this way

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Killgasm said:
X said:
I agree, a DT would have been a better option. A safety is not going to help if the D-line does not generate pressure on the QB.
Agree. Barron can load up and bring the pain, and he's also very good in run support, but I'd rather generate a consistent push up front first. And good choice on the avatar. That cracked me up. I forgot I put it in the gallery, but it's fitting for you. "Challenge accepted."

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Drafting a safety that can knock some people out isn't smart because the league dosen't even allow it anymore. A playmaking guy that can also stop the run....OK, but not with all our other gaping holes.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
I'd be OK with taking Mark Barron IF he can also play corner. He's in the discussion for the BPA @ #6.

I have to disagree. Barron's a top-fifteen prospect in this class, and he'll be a very good player at the next level, but best player available is really pushing it. One or two of the high-end prospects after Luck and RG3 (Kalil, Richardson, Blackmon, Claiborne) will drop. Then you have Ingram, DeCastro, Kuechly, and Cox. I can't place Barron in that category; he's not Polamalu, Reed, or Taylor.

And no, he can't play corner; his coverage skills aren't good enough for the position. Pass.

Aside from that, I think Marshall Faulk has lost a marble...or two...or two-hundred. I have no idea what he's trying to prove with these asinine comments, and it's probably better that I don't know.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
DR RAM said:

I have to disagree. Barron's a top-fifteen prospect in this class, and he'll be a very good player at the next level, but best player available is really pushing it. One or two of the high-end prospects after Luck and RG3 (Kalil, Richardson, Blackmon, Claiborne) will drop. Then you have Ingram, DeCastro, Kuechly, and Cox. I can't place Barron in that category; he's not Polamalu, Reed, or Taylor.

And no, he can't play corner; his coverage skills aren't good enough for the position. Pass.

Aside from that, I think Marshall Faulk has lost a marble...or two...or two-hundred. I have no idea what he's trying to prove with these asinine comments, and it's probably better that I don't know.
I wouldn't pick him at #6, but I think he is a top 10 talent IF he has good coverage skills, and I don't know that he does. I haven't commented on Faulk. If Fisher took Barron on a trade down or even at #6, then it would mean that he would probably be very important to our defensive scheme, and I'd be OK with that. I've learned to be flexible on draft day, so that I don't get too disappointed.

However, he would probably just make the top 10 (for the Rams) for me.

Kalil
Claiborne/Gilmore
Richardson
Blackmon
Kuechly
Poe
Cox
Barron
Decastro

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here's the breakdown on Barron from Russ Lande in his draft guide that he's selling on his site.

ATHLETIC ABILITY / BACKPEDAL / HIPS SECTION GRADE: 7.5
He has excellent overall athletic ability, foot quickness, & transition skills for his position. He is most effective when playing from a cushion in either “Off” m/m or zone coverage. He shows very good overall speed & closing ability for the SS position, but lacks elite recovery ability when out of position or trailing a play. He can get out-of-control on the move in space due to his over-aggressive playing style, but NOT due to a lack of overall athleticism.

M/M COVERAGE - OFF & TIGHT SECTION GRADE: 6.5
He can be found in “Off” m/m coverage over a slot WR or a TE at times within his college defensive scheme. While he competes very hard & really fights for position with his long arms, he often loses the battle in m/m coverage down the field. He is much more effective in the underneath to intermediate ranges. He tends to under-cut the receiver & takes flat angles to the ball in the air when in m/m coverage.

ZONE COVERAGE SECTION GRADE: 8.0
He is a very smart & patient zone coverage player. He is not likely to be fooled by play-action, double-moves, or option passes when playing the back half or third. He works hard to maintain proper spacing between himself & receivers that enter his zone. He does a good job of looking through the receiver to see the QB’s drop, set-up, & beginning of his throwing motion. He has 10 career INT’s & am sure that most of them came in zone.

RUN / PASS RECOGNITION / INSTINCTS / SMARTS SECTION GRADE: 8.0
He is a very smart & aware player against both the run & the pass. He is a very aggressive hitter, who loves to play
near the LOS in run support. He is a strong, consistent tackler, when he plays under control. He can get into trouble on the move in space at times. He is rarely out of position, but does take flat angles in pursuit at times in his play.

CLOSING / DEEP SPEED SECTION GRADE: 7.5
He shows very good overall play speed & closing ability for his position. However, he is deficient in the recovery
speed department against long plays down field. He has the ability to turn & run with TE’s down the seam &
some slot WR’s down field. He is simply less effective a coverage player the further he gets away from the LOS.

BALL SKILLS / HANDS TO INTERCEPT & MAKE PLAY ON BALL SECTION GRADE: 7.5
All of his career INT’s show he has the ability to make a play on the ball in the air. He plays close to the LOS
quite often, which makes his career totals even more impressive. He has terrific wingspan & reach when breaking
on a ball in the air in coverage. He is very physical & competitive with the ball in the air in all coverages.

GAMES EVALUATED
South Carolina, Tennessee & both LSU Games.

RUN SUPPORT / TACKLING / WILLINGNESS TO HIT SECTION GRADE: 8.0
He is a highly productive tackler & run support player near the LOS within his college scheme. He is often used to run blitz off the edge & shows no concern for his body on contact against much bigger blockers. He gets into trouble at times due to being over-aggressive, resulting in some missed tackles on the move in space.

SUMMARY
Barron is a three-year starter at Strong Safety for the Tide in 2011. He has a strong, thick build with very good arm length to consider for the position at the NFL level. He is an excellent overall athlete for the position with very good playing speed & range in coverage. He shows quick feet, good bend, & very good transition skills in his play. He is more productive & effective in closing on balls in front of him as either an off m/m or zone coverage player. He is a bit of a liability against some slot WR’s in m/m coverage well down field due to his lack of recovery speed. He has excellent career production with PBU’s & INT’s for his position. He does a very good job of maintaining proper position over-the-top as a zone defender. He often finds himself playing near the LOS & makes his presence known in run support consistently. He is a very aggressive & violent player, who appears to look for the big-hit opportunities. However, sometimes his aggressiveness will make him out-of-control & miss tackles on the move at full speed in space. He is an intense & productive blitzer off the edge against both the run & the pass. He does a very good job in using his hands to quickly defeat blocks, in addition to battling receivers in their routes. He has added value to consider as a coverage player for special teams due to his play earlier in his career. Overall, he deserves solid 2nd round draft consideration by a team looking for a starter at Strong Safety next April. He may even be able to slide down & play over the slot with safety help over the top in their sub packages right away. He reminds me most of former Cornhusker Toby Wright [2nd round-#49-STL], who came out way back in 1994. For a more recent comparison, he shares many qualities with former Boilermaker Bernard Pollard [2nd round-#54-KC] without the personal character baggage.

jjab360

Legend
Thank god we didn't go T-Rich or Claiborne, hoping Barron can live up to the hype in a new environment