If anyone ever doubted how useless QBR is !?!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
I have never understood or believed in QBR, but was absolutely shocked to see that Goff had almost half the total of Dak (41.8 vs. 78.2) in the game yesterday.
In addition to the stats below, Dak ran 3 times for 25 yards while Jared took a knee once for -1 yard rushing. Jared had a fumble.

upload_2017-10-2_15-18-35.png

It makes absolutely no sense!!!

source.gif

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I look at the rating over qbr. Qbr is so strange sometimes

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Don't try to understand it. Espn were trying to make a rating that would have the krapper and rgme as the top 2 qbs every week.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not that mobility and running are useless for QBs - it's that QBR values them higher than, you know, actual passing success for quarterbacks. Unlike every coach values them. Not one coach is going to put a weak passer who can run over a smart, strong armed QB. ESPN wanted a custom stat they controlled so only they could use it, making them a go to site if it became popular. QBR after an initial flurry ceased to be valued by anybody not actually employed by ESPN or its corporate masters, though.

It might be nice to have a stat that gave a little value to quarterback mobility and running, while still giving the majority of value to actual passing. Won't happen for a long time though - ESPN has wrecked it for everybody else.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
It tried to come up w/ an equalization system for a QB who wasn't a good QB.....but could run the ball and be used in fantasy. Well...that is all it is good for. Fantasy!

fearsomefour

Legend
It's not that mobility and running are useless for QBs - it's that QBR values them higher than, you know, actual passing success for quarterbacks. Unlike every coach values them. Not one coach is going to put a weak passer who can run over a smart, strong armed QB. ESPN wanted a custom stat they controlled so only they could use it, making them a go to site if it became popular. QBR after an initial flurry ceased to be valued by anybody not actually employed by ESPN or its corporate masters, though.

It might be nice to have a stat that gave a little value to quarterback mobility and running, while still giving the majority of value to actual passing. Won't happen for a long time though - ESPN has wrecked it for everybody else.
This is typical ESPN. Ignorance and stupidity.
There is no need to assign special value for how things are done. 8 yards rushing is 8 yards rushing. 12 yards passing is 12 yards passing. Doesn't matter how it gets there.
The love affair the press has/had with running QBs is such silliness. A pocket passer who can read, find secondary guys and has touch will always outperform a running QB.
It's like saying player 1 who scored 28 points in a basketball game was a less effective scorer than player 2 because player 2 scored 15 on 5 theee pointers. 3 pointers are more "exciting" than layups or free throws so worth more. No, ESPNs QB rating system is stupid and pointless.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It's not that mobility and running are useless for QBs - it's that QBR values them higher than, you know, actual passing success for quarterbacks.
I wondered what was the difference....

If it's rushing yards, I understand...running QB's are hell to deal with....

wiley16350

UDFA
Name
Wiley
I wondered what was the difference....

If it's rushing yards, I understand...running QB's are hell to deal with....

They're really not that hard to deal with. If your defense isn't fast, just force a running QB to play from the pocket, they'll beat themselves. If you have a fast defense, then attack the hell out of them and cover the primary receiver, the running QB won't make decisions fast enough. There are reasons that running QB's tend to be the most sacked QB's in the league. To stop a good pocket passer you have to be good at covering the whole field and getting pressure.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
It's just raw numbers, doesn't really take them into context (stats when coming from behind ought to fluctuate rating). I know a lot of people bash PFF but they do give solid indicators of a player's value during in-game performance; it's just not perfect since it's a subjective analysis but I do give props for trying to give evaluations in context.

bluecoconuts

Legend
QBR was designed by Trent Dilfer to make the Trent Dilfer's of the NFL look like halfway decent QB's instead of shitty game managers that can be replaced by pretty much anything with a pulse and a halfway decent arm and yield the same results.

Sorry Dildo, you weren't the reason for that ring.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IDK....running QB's have given teams fits for years....this didn't just start. It's been huge in the NFC West the last 5 seasons alone.

Wussel wilson is another QB that espn created this stat for, because without it he would have a pretty poor rating due to his very low passing yards/game.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The example about a running QB is Steve McNair. Was a great runner his first few years.....then he had his sternum broke on a scramble. Then a year later, he stayed in the pocket a bit longer and became a better QB. A great one as a matter of fact. But his ability to run, held him back as he wouldn't go through his progressions. Steve was still a good runner, he just didn't keep it as part of his normal MO.

But hey Trent Dilfer wants him to know.....he was better a a 2 look and run guy........... (dumbass!)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you guys really want to add to your annoyance, check out the PFF grades. There's an even bigger disparity between Goff and Prescott. Don't ask them to explain.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wussel wilson is another QB that espn created this stat for, because without it he would have a pretty poor rating due to his very low passing yards/game.
Watching him run around is amazing....in fact, they couldn't win without it....Looking at Matt Stafford run around is amazing....Looking at Aaron Rodgers scramble around is amazing. It's truly a unique and valuable skill UNTIL they (young QB's) become better pocket passers...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You guys have to admit, without the ability to scramble, we would have destroyed the Dallas offense & Dak....Just that escape from Donald alone shows how tough of a matchup he is....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys have to admit, without the ability to scramble, we would have destroyed the Dallas offense & Dak....Just that escape from Donald alone shows how tough of a matchup he is....

Are we replacing his ability to scramble with anything else?

James Otto

Starter
If you guys really want to add to your annoyance, check out the PFF grades. There's an even bigger disparity between Goff and Prescott. Don't ask them to explain.

I used to rely on PFF for some stuff, but over the years, I've begun to think they are biased towards players they like.

I noticed that they went out of their way to discuss how Goff almost "threw the game away" on that throw that he threw into triple coverage. However, they completely disregarded the throw from Dak that Webster nearly intercepted.

I'm sorry, but grading a QB, who threw for 250+ yards, 2 TD, 0 INT and led his team to 35 points (none by D or ST), with a 45.2 (which equates to poor) grade is absolutely asinine.

Was Goff great against Dallas? No, but I thought he was GOOD for sure.