“I was kind of licking my chops”- Brockers on what Fowler, Matthews add to the defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/i-was-...kers-on-what-fowler-matthews-add-to-the-defen

Friday, Apr 19, 2019 02:00 PM

“I was kind of licking my chops”- Brockers on what Fowler, Matthews add to the defense
By Clarence Dennis

The Rams swapped a pair of future picks to Jacksonville for a bonafide edge rusher in outside linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. just before the trade deadline last season.

The move added a layer to the already-dangerous Los Angeles pass rush and paid off for general manager Les Snead and the Rams, who advanced to their first Super Bowl since the 2001 season.

dpcrpqumqvyascknrsxv.jpg

Fowler’s contribution was fruitful enough for the Rams to return the former No. 3 overall pick for the 2019 season. Less than two weeks after nabbing Fowler, the club added veteran linebacker Clay Matthews — completing a pair of moves that could make the life of an interior lineman that much easier.

“I was kind of licking my chops. You get two edge guys who can rush on the edge and they are great at it. It opens up those one-on-ones for you on the inside,” defensive tackle Michael Brockers said, before adding that he might not be the only one happy to see Fowler or Matthews coming off the edge. “I know [DT Aaron Donald] was looking at it too like, ‘Oh my gosh.’ You can get those tackles off of you and stuff like that.”

Donald posted 10.5 of his record-breaking 20.5 sacks after Fowler aligned with the L.A. defense ahead of Week 9. As roles remain to be defined in coordinator Wade Phillips’ defense heading into 2019, it seems the Rams have made moves to ensure opposing offensive linemen will once again have their hands full with the front of the L.A. defense.

Ram65

Legend
Expect Fowler to get better now that he knows the system and players around him. Mathews doesn't have to be the guy playing nearly every down and can stay fresher while still making an impact. Very exciting to see how Wade uses them together. Looking forward to seeing another defender added in round one next week. This defense could be special.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
I really hope Kiser turns into a 2 down thumper - giving Matthews flexibility to move inside and outside - and rest. He ain't no spring chicken anymore but has some gas left in the tank and likely motivated to climb on the Rams train.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I really hope Kiser turns into a 2 down thumper - giving Matthews flexibility to move inside and outside - and rest. He ain't no spring chicken anymore but has some gas left in the tank and likely motivated to climb on the Rams train.
Throw Obo in the mix and who knows....... Could be fun!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
that's an excellent point.... Matthews on the Edge for 2 downs allows Kiser to be put in the middle next to Littleton. Kiser comes out on 3rd down, Matthews goes next to Corey, then slide in Obo / Ebu at Edge. Or put JFM at DE & slide AD to edge. LOTS of options for our D, now that we have Matthews.
Glad he's on our team, but still sore about him spearing Foles as you fellas know. Turn our D into top 3, and all will be forgiven :)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
While I do expect more from Fowler, I'm not sure how much we can expect from Matthews. I think he should see less snaps than he usually gets. Keep him a little fresher for late in the game and later in the season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fowler with double digit sacks and be solid against the run. With all the attention being paid to Donald, I gotta think Brockers, Fowler and Matthews should be getting more opportunities.