I smell a trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Rams have no cap room for much more than what Pettis was making.
It wouldn't surprise me to sign someone of another teams practice squad tho.
Or maybe Favre wants to make a comeback to get his TD record back.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yeah - don't get it either.

2 for 1 trade?

Wouldn't be Tavon like I suggested or it wouldn't be Pettis.

I'm left wondering though that they would cut Pettis instead of trading him for something. I'm still thinking he showed up tanked or hung over with the other dude unless they just made room for Pettis on the practice squad hoping to keep him?

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I really can't see any trade that would interest other teams and be worth while for us.

BlackSheep

UDFA
Could this be a move to clear space for Chris' return? I believe he may be able to return to practice late this week and activated for the Nov. 9 matchup at Arizona. Not sure if a roster spot is required however based on the IR Designated For Return rule.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
2 for 1 trade?

Wouldn't be Tavon like I suggested or it wouldn't be Pettis.

I'm left wondering though that they would cut Pettis instead of trading him for something. I'm still thinking he showed up tanked or hung over with the other dude unless they just made room for Pettis on the practice squad hoping to keep him?

One of ours for two of someone else's? Doesn't sound like improving any one position if that is the case. But I guess we'll see. Could be. I just don't see what player we would trade that would net us two with at least one of them being a starter. Seems that is what we would have to do in that scenario - otherwise why do it.

Certainly curious though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am guessing any trade would be for Oline depth, or a defensive player. An offensive plYer would take too long to integrate into Schotts offense.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Why does Pettis' release mean a trade too?
Has to be a draft pick.
If it was for a trade move.
A free agent LB ? I'm not sure if there is a LB sitting on his couch that is worth talking too.
Idk, but something is going on.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Unless we are trading a draft pick, I don't see how releasing Pettis to clear a roster spot would be needed. What am I missing with the logic here?

You're not missing anything that I can tell...Anybody that would draw reasonable interest in a trade isn't somebody they would part with, IMO...I'm so sure that Stacy won't be traded that if he is, I'll open and be become the 1st charter member, of a Pacific NW monk's association here in southern Oregon...And I'm REALLY not monk material...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Makes sense to find a player from another teams practice squad. Then when TRU or Long comeback shuffle a player back down.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm sure that they tried to get a draft pick for Pettis and couldn't or they would have traded him for sure. I guess when you are the fifth WR on a low ranked passing attack you don't draw much interest?
Short of a blockbuster trade, (one of our RBs for a starting LB?) the Rams don't have much to work a trade with.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I am sure Snead shopped Pettis around before cutting him. They probably did the same with Armstrong. There were no takers so they had to just release him. There are 5 linebackers on the active roster. It really seems that LBer is where they have a big need. Cutting Ray left a hole. If they make a trade it will most likely be a draft pick for a capable LBer. Too bad then went into last years draft thinking that Armstrong would grow up.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
As far as trading Tavon ,if the punt play Sunday hasn't convinced people of two things ,I can't but I'll still say them.
One other teams are scared to death he's gonna break their back
Two he's being keyed on and has value as a decoy leaving other wrs. to run.

I'm sure Seattles special teams were told to know where the ball was every week , but were HAMMERD with that Austin guy can be as dangerous as Percy so we have to maintain our lane discipline and not let him beat us.
I'd also like to say that from here on out when TA is fielding a punt the coverage will be slower coming down field because it takes away from your speed to look up for the ball and if we send Sted to the other side of the field as a gunner blocker he's gonna get attention and may carry as many as 3 tacklers with him or cause a lot of hesitation.
Oh one more thing ,it'd be a cap killer,it ain't happnin

A big name LB that might be available but I wouldn't want , Brian Cushing man that dude makes JL look like Hussein Bolt

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Could just be the remnants of an old burritio on Fisher's stache, but I'm smelling a trade with this open roster spot. My guess is a linebacker or secondary player who knows Williams' system for a mid to late round pick. Anyone wanna speculate and throw some names out there? I'm bored.
I would be totally surprised if Fisher/Snead/Williams didn't POP-UP with something, considering the Trade Dead-Line is the 28th! Very possibly in the area's you mentioned. But I wouldn't be surprised too much if they went for help at OG either!!

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I actually tweeted Long today asking him when he's coming back. His response, "No timeframe, still on IR."
I then said I hope he's back as soon as the designation is up...he said, "thanks who knows".
Pretty cool of him that he chats with fans like that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any LB on the last year of their deal playing for a team off to a bad start? That's where I would be looking

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Would releasing Pettis free up any cap space, or is it all dead money? If it isn't, even if it's next year, then I can see some cap manipulation for a possible trade.

Edit: Just read that he was late for a meeting on Saturday. Could be another Fisher message.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would releasing Pettis free up any cap space, or is it all dead money? If it isn't, even if it's next year, then I can see some cap manipulation for a possible trade.

Edit: Just read that he was late for a meeting on Saturday. Could be another Fisher message.

I suspect it's a combination of things. The Rams wanted to get back to 5 receivers anyway. They needed the roster spot for another position. Pettis is a little dinged up apparently. It was between him and Givens anyway, but Givens is under contract next season as was pointed out earlier. Add in that he was late for a meeting, and it allowed Fisher to send a message, and make a move that arguably makes football sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm sure that they tried to get a draft pick for Pettis and couldn't or they would have traded him for sure. I guess when you are the fifth WR on a low ranked passing attack you don't draw much interest?
Short of a blockbuster trade, (one of our RBs for a starting LB?) the Rams don't have much to work a trade with.

Is 11th in the league low ranked?