Hiring Chris Weinke could be our best offseason move.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan14

Starter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Weinke has worked with Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Ryan Tannehill, and Teddy Bridgewater. Considering all those guys are starters for there teams, that's pretty impressive. Tannehill had a pretty good 2014, Wilson is Wilson we know this, Newton had a great rookie year when Weinke coached him up, and Bridgewater had a solid rookie year as well. Now Weinke gets a chance to work with Foles and considering the credibility Weinke has/is developing, that excites me! Where Foles ranks as a prospect compared to the others, idk, but I can only imagine Foles improving from last year. Thoughts everyone?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I love the Weinke hire. I think it's gonna pay big dividends for us down the road.

But I've gotta say that the replacement of Schotty with Cignetti is the bigger offseason hire. Hopefully, the "Cigs Effect" will quickly be evident this season.

Incidentally, Cigs has already indicated that he will "allow" Weinke to properly do his job. What a concept! A dig at Schotty whom Cigs apparently felt never allowed him to be a proper QB coach.

But I digress... Lol.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think things may be coming together for our RAMS! :party:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think things may be coming together for our RAMS! :party:

I totally agree, because it just seemed to me that the offensive coaching / direction has been stuck in neutral for a while, like not everyone is on the same page or something. Weinke seems like he's got the coaching talent, & when you allow your people to exercise their gifts without hierarchical burdens, it unlocks a lot of potential.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I totally agree, because it just seemed to me that the offensive coaching / direction has been stuck in neutral for a while, like not everyone is on the same page or something. Weinke seems like he's got the coaching talent, & when you allow your people to exercise their gifts without hierarchical burdens, it unlocks a lot of potential.

Let's not also forget the change in approach to how both sides are managed. It seems we're leaning more towards an execution-based scheme rather than forcing the scheme into players. Catering to the players' strengths will go long ways for this team. Schottenheimer and Williams relied too much on their scheme and yielded disastrous results in the first half of the season.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
What I like best is the relative continuity of this team. Williams will be building on a foundation he generated last year. Cig gets to do the same thing but with a fresh perspective. Weinke will improve Foles' mechanics. The learning curve for a new system for Foles will be a challenge helped slightly by defenses' unfamiliarity with how Cig will coordinate the offense.

What tempers my enthusiasm is the gelling of a new offensive line. There is no unit in sport that relies on coordinated, split second, instinctive adjustments like an OLine. Even IF the Rams acquire great players from the draft and FA, it will take time for them to become a consistent unit. For this reason, I can't expect a better than average offense this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's not also forget the change in approach to how both sides are managed. It seems we're leaning more towards an execution-based scheme rather than forcing the scheme into players. Catering to the players' strengths will go long ways for this team. Schottenheimer and Williams relied too much on their scheme and yielded disastrous results in the first half of the season.

That's the thing any player that's ever played for Williams has said isn't true. Williams is known for molding his scheme to the talent he has and catering it to their strengths. The problem wasn't Williams's reliance on the scheme. The problem was that he has a complicated scheme, we have a young defense, and it was our guys' first year in the system. You're going to have growing pains. It takes time to break new schemes in.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's the thing any player that's ever played for Williams has said isn't true. Williams is known for molding his scheme to the talent he has and catering it to their strengths. The problem wasn't Williams's reliance on the scheme. The problem was that he has a complicated scheme, we have a young defense, and it was our guys' first year in the system. You're going to have growing pains. It takes time to break new schemes in.

And he didn't have the personnel to fit his scheme at first. Once he got Barron, that defense took off.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
And he didn't have the personnel to fit his scheme at first. Once he got Barron, that defense took off.

Barron played a very small percentage of snaps. In those he performed well. The adjustments came with Gaines filling for Johnson and Joyner, Ogletree finally getting in shape, Donald increased usage, Brockers new role, McLeod's improvement, and the overall familiarity of the scheme. Barron should have a greater impact next year

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I have faith in Foles and every other skill position on the offense but until this Oline actually looks solid none of it will matter in the end.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bi
I love the Weinke hire. I think it's gonna pay big dividends for us down the road.

But I've gotta say that the replacement of Schotty with Cignetti is the bigger offseason hire. Hopefully, the "Cigs Effect" will quickly be evident this season.

Incidentally, Cigs has already indicated that he will "allow" Weinke to properly do his job. What a concept! A dig at Schotty whom Cigs apparently felt never allowed him to be a proper QB coach.

But I digress... Lol.
gger than the Sam Bradford trade ??
I like the move.I thought Jeff Garcia was hired at first.Fisher did well.
Was Cig or Wenki questioned before the trade,even have a say on either QB ?
Look forward to the play calling.Is Rob or Chris going to the booth,or Cig ? Who is going to be on the field ??

RamsFan14

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll reserve comment until week 6
I remember saying the same damn thing about Williams hiring..,

Yea I understand, but I feel like being the QBs coach isn't as... broad and complicated as being the defensive coordinator, if that makes any sense. I feel like there's a lot more variables with the defense that can make it difficult for Williams. If Foles is who we think he can be, he's as talented as the other QBs I mentioned above, which means Weinke should be having a lot of fun trying to coach him up this year. I just love the background Weinke has for coaching QBs, and I think we have ourselves a solid QB who has room for improvement.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Ryan Tannehill, and Teddy Bridgewater.
Except for Teddy, who is pretty damn mobile, they all look like scrambling/running type QB's.....making it look like
Brett+Hundley+USC+v+UCLA+mQFy7QSUKonl.jpg

is a serious possibility....whooooo-weeeee!!!!! Are we fired up, yes we're fired up!!!

RamsFan14

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, Foles might be the least mobile of the QBs I listed, but I don't think he's too far behind them. Foles can run if he needs to, but yea that's solid point @LACHAMP46. Foles did have over 200 yards rushing, but then again those stats could be considered funky due to the offense he was in, plus the amount of plays that team ran lol. Anyway, good point, but I do hope to see an improved passer with Weinke at the helm. I just love his credentials at the moment, really think this hiring can go a long way for us.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well, Foles might be the least mobile of the QBs I listed, but I don't think he's too far behind them. Foles can run if he needs to, but yea that's solid point @LACHAMP46. Foles did have over 200 yards rushing, but then again those stats could be considered funky due to the offense he was in, plus the amount of plays that team ran lol. Anyway, good point, but I do hope to see an improved passer with Weinke at the helm. I just love his credentials at the moment, really think this hiring can go a long way for us.
Foles played in a spread at Arizona and ran a bit. He is far from a Mariota/RGIII/Manziel type, but he can move.