Ha Ha Clinton-Dix yet to meet with St. Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix yet to meet with St. Louis Rams

By Mike Huguenin
College Football 24/7 writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-ha-clintondix-yet-to-meet-with-st-louis-rams

Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix reportedly has met with seven teams, but not with the team that he perhaps is most associated with in this draft.

Clinton-Dix, who is the top safety available and might be the first defensive back to come off the board, has met with teams whose picks range from No. 6 (Atlanta) to No. 28 (Carolina), according to the National Football Post. He also has met with Detroit (10th pick), Tennessee (11th), Chicago (14th), Baltimore (17th) and Philadelphia (22nd).

That list does not include St. Louis, which picks 13th. NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah has said he would be surprised if Clinton-Dix makes it past the Rams. Fellow analyst Bucky Brooks has written that the Rams are a "perfect fit" for Clinton-Dix; actually, he wrote that Clinton-Dix is a perfect fit for five teams, but the Rams pick first among that quintet. Even the Rams' official website -- which called Clinton-Dix "a proven winner" -- notes that numerous draft experts have Clinton-Dix pegged as "a potential option" for the Rams with the No. 13 pick.

Does not having a visit with a player preclude a team from picking that player? Of course not. Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert had just one team meeting last year, and he went in the first round. Oregon State wide receiver Brandin Cooks, a first-round lock this year, has just one scheduled meeting.

In addition, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that the Rams had a "formal meeting" with Clinton-Dix at February's NFL Scouting Combine.

Clinton-Dix to the Rams makes a lot of sense. The biggest reason: The Rams' projected starting free safety right now probably would be Rodney McLeod. If you said, "Who?" when you heard that name, you wouldn't be alone.

Pairing Clinton-Dix with second-year strong safety T.J. McDonald, a third-round pick last year, would greatly increase the talent level on the back end. Having talented safeties in a division that also has Arizona, San Francisco and Seattle is a must.

St. Louis has two first-round picks: its own at No. 13 plus the No. 2 pick, which it acquired in the Robert Griffin III trade. The Rams are said to be interested in trading the second pick; if they don't, they could pick up a needed offensive tackle or wide receiver at No. 2. The biggest defensive need is safety -- while the No. 2 pick is a bit steep for a safety in this draft, taking one at No. 13 would make a lot of sense.

If the Rams do trade the No. 2 pick but remain in the top 10 or somewhere close, taking a safety then makes a lot of sense, too.

While Clinton-Dix has met with the Falcons, it's extremely difficult to see them taking a safety -- even one as highly regarded as Clinton-Dix -- at No. 6. But Detroit, Tennessee and Chicago using their picks on Clinton-Dix makes a lot of sense on a lot of levels.

If Philadelphia and Carolina don't trade up, neither is going to have a shot at Clinton-Dix.

V3

Hall of Fame
I really want someone to show me from actual video why this guy is so highly regarded(even if only by the media). I keep going back and can't find anything that really stands out to me with him. If he really is so great then I want to know what I'm missing so I can learn and use it in future evaluations.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I really want someone to show me from actual video why this guy is so highly regarded(even if only by the media). I keep going back and can't find anything that really stands out to me with him. If he really is so great then I want to know what I'm missing so I can learn and use it in future evaluations.

Im with you. I have no idea what people see in him other than hes got the perfect size and good speed. They say hes really good in coverage. If we draft him I can only hope that the reason hes not impressive on tape is because teams threw away from him because he was all over his man so there wasnt much of a highlight reel. They say hes better than Vaccarro and he had an excelent rookie year so I dont know what to think.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would like to see more too even where this writer comes up with "the top safety available" I saw him avoiding tackles in the running game. The Rams cannot have a guy like that in our division the running game is a big part of our opponents game. Run support and good tackling are requirements not nice to have options.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That's because we won't be selecting him. Too many options for Safety. Also, Fisher doesn't regard the position that highly. It will be filled with a 3rd round pick or so.

V3

Hall of Fame
That's because we won't be selecting him. Too many options for Safety. Also, Fisher doesn't regard the position that highly. It will be filled with a 3rd round pick or so.

I think you're right about Fisher not valuing the position as much. 3rd round seems about right. Now I just have to go and look for FS's that would be available then. That might be worthy of its own thread.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think you're right about Fisher not valuing the position as much. 3rd round seems about right. Now I just have to go and look for FS's that would be available then. That might be worthy of its own thread.

I can't find much information on any Safeties that the Rams have brought in for a visit or had a workout with. The only one I see is Maurice Alexander from Utah State.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If the Greg Reid signing pans out he'll be a big help to our thin secondary with his speed and ball-hawking skills...even as a nickel corner.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

My thought for sometime now has been that Bailey from USC is in play.

Could they really take two safeties from SC???

V3

Hall of Fame

I was just watching him. Not sure I'd say I'd feel safe at FS with him starting there next season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was just watching him. Not sure I'd say I'd feel safe at FS with him starting there next season.
I would be a little surprised if McLeod does not have the inside track going in to training camp, still need some young talent there

V3

Hall of Fame
I would be a little surprised if McLeod does not have the inside track going in to training camp, still need some young talent there

McLeod is a good backup at best, IMO. If he's our starter all season, we are in trouble.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
McLeod is a good backup at best, IMO. If he's our starter all season, we are in trouble.
Maybe he is probably better than a 3rd round rookie with no NFL experience. I trust they will have a good option and maybe it isn't that important in Williams' scheme

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I can show you a video of Mike Evans out jumping Clinton-Dix for a long pass reception. I saw a bunch of Ha Ha and Calvin Pryor film. I prefer Calvin Pryor.

Alan

Legend
RamsAndEwe with this:
I can show you a video of Mike Evans out jumping Clinton-Dix for a long pass reception.
Is that surprising considering the differences in their heights? Isn't that one of the reasons you want a tall WR? What I'd like to see is a video of Pryor out jumping Evans. ;)

Last edited:

SierraRam

Recreational User

Pryor at 13, Ward in the 2nd, Bailey or Bucannon the 3rd - all better values from what I've seen. Safety is our biggest need on D, but I'd take a CB at #13 first because of the aforementioned depth at S.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me; I'll be shocked if we go S at 13. I just don't see it with this class. A trade down, way down, maybe.

I don't think the Rams deviate far from BPA... So my coin is on CB with that second first rounder. (Unless we go Watkins with our first, then Martin might be a trade down target)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Really hope they dont take Clinton-Dix. Nothing special about him.

Pryor will be ours(i hope)!!!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
If the Greg Reid signing pans out he'll be a big help to our thin secondary with his speed and ball-hawking skills...even as a nickel corner.
He might work out, I have no idea. But he'll be raw like McGee was. McGee was raw, and even the team knew he needed some time before he could contribute. I'm thinking the same will likely be for Reid (which is why the Rams signed him for 3 years instead of 1).

I think McGee is the guy that everyone has forgotten about and I hope he can step up this year.