GUEST ARTICLE: How Jared Goff Has Done a Complete 180 Under Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Personnel and playcalling. Mainly personnel was at fault for Goff’s struggles in his rookie year.

Starting Wr’s- Britt, Quick And Tavon.
Starting OL - Robinson, Barnes and a bunch of backups due to injury.

Thes are guys that we’re rated by any site as the worst at their positions. Britt had some production but his critical 3rd down drops and mental errors (penalties and route issues) negated the production.

I’m not letting anyone rewrite history when I personally watched and rewatched every snap, which is more than 99% of so called experts. Today’s analyst are quick to take the hot topic.. Goff... and put a couple clips together to publish an article to get some clicks.

The true 2016 history is our run game was atrocious. And the pass blocking and Wr support was just as bad. Goff had Zero chance to succeed even if he was a rookie Marino.

Countless drives put us in 3rd and 13 due to loss of yards on run plays, penalty, WR drop, unpicked up blitz etc.

There was no chance on 3rd and 13
Due to the Oline mess.

Bigger than Mcvays playcalling is his priority of Oline and bringing in Whit and Sully. Then retooling the WR crew. Goff’s Success has more to do with this and the work of Kromer than Anything else.

A QB needs time to throw and to be in front of the chains on third down. A few WR’s that can get open and catch the ball in traffic. Goff now has that.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay's very first personel move, cut Barnes. Next move, Sign Whitworth.

I'd say those moves pretty much prove the OL was his first priority.

Ram65

Legend
This is how the media, especially sports media operates in the age of the internet. Everyone is in a constant race to be "first" on social media or to say the most outrageous thing to garner the most attention. Goff was a sitting duck target last year and a lot of knuckleheads, fans included, were all over the internet and on talk shows (which should be called shriek shows considering the format) taking shot after shot after each loss.

Now where are they?

Gurley got it to a lesser degree, and where are those guys now?

Where is the "I was wrong I should have kept my big fat mouth shut" from MeShawn?

Sad but true. This was worth the early 180 degree turnaround headline which is not that bad. I like the gifs of Goff passing. It's great when a writer has video to show his points.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think the narrative needs to change a bit.
All the pieces that were put in place and all the coaching that has taken place would mean nothing if Goff wasn't what he is. He deserves all the credit for where he is. For his improvement. For his desire, motivation, toughness and smarts to get through all of the BS and come out looking like a QB that might be who we want him to be. To take advantage of what has been put in place for him to do well. The difference between coaching and personnel has been well stated, but what he has done is back up his statements after the season last year. He said this was gona change, that he was going to be better and he worked his ass off to make this happen.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Interested, where do they see room for growth?
I have noticed that he has not been staring down his primary revciever as much.

He needs to stop forcing it to Kupp and Woods.

Other than that he is awesome! JMO. :D

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
All the pieces that were put in place and all the coaching that has taken place would mean nothing if Goff wasn't what he is. He deserves all the credit for where he is. For his improvement. For his desire, motivation, toughness and smarts to get through all of the BS and come out looking like a QB that might be who we want him to be. To take advantage of what has been put in place for him to do well. The difference between coaching and personnel has been well stated, but what he has done is back up his statements after the season last year. He said this was gona change, that he was going to be better and he worked his ass off to make this happen.
Exactly.

Yeah but i gotta agree with @kurtfaulk

Technically the article title makes the statement the author thinks he was a bust last year - please reread title:

"How Jared Goff made a complete 180 under McVay"

By saying he made a 180 he is agreeing with those that sthought he was a bust. Otherwise why say 180. I mean, the author is saying he's doing really well under McVay -- which makes it implicit hat a 180 from that is being a total bust under Fisher

This is why I am not ready to crown this article as great, either. Like Majrleaged, Dieter and kurtfaulk, accepting the "Goff was a bust" narrative puts a a bad taste in your mouth right away. It was the lazy analysis from last year. It would be like inviting the reader to your restaurant, serving stuffed turd mushrooms for an appetizer. Then asking us, "Wasn't the steak delicious?"

I don't think it is splitting hairs to hold this view. Goff always had the ability and the mindset. He just needed the coaching and support. Most of us on this forum could see that. (See: New Orleans game for example)

I'm so happy for the Jared. Wrongs are being righted. The smoke is clearing. And I'm sorry, we are out of crow. It seems to have been a popular menu item lately. But I hear the pizza is delicious.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Why? I'd throw to the guys who knew the routes and caught the ball too.
Those two and Gurley lead the team in rec yardage.
"Forcing" is different than "throwing to".
"Forcing" the ball to any reciever not open is never a good idea. (witness the 2 game losers to Kupp in the end zone when Woods was wide open on one)

Plus, it becomes obvious to the DBs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I believe that hypothetically, if Goff was drafted this year by the Rams...Goff would still be having the year he's having. In other words, he (and everyone else on O) had no chance to succeed last year.

I also believe that all this talk about his progression from year 1 to year 2 (this year) didn't really happen.
2017 to 2018 is when we'll really see that leap from Goff.
2016 was a misnomer rookie season.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Are you sure about that?
The first play, both were equally open.

The second play, both were equally covered.
Two guys on Kupp, Richard Sherman blanketing Watkins.

View: https://youtu.be/GVzMHFC2URk

I stated Woods not Watkins.

And I am not just referring to those 2 plays. I have seen it and even an announcer pointed it out.
Woods was running a slant on the play I was referring to.

Goff is just more comfortable throwing to those two I would imagine.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I stated Woods not Watkins.
That's my bad. Earlier you said he needs to stop forcing to Kupp and Woods, so I thought you were still championing for Watkins. Either way, it appears nobody was really "open" on that last play.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
That's my bad. Earlier you said he needs to stop forcing to Kupp and Woods, so I thought you were still championing for Watkins. Either way, it appears nobody was really "open" on that last play.
No campaigning or championing.
Just a minor wrinkle that is part of the QB learning process.

I love where Goff is in his development.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I believe that hypothetically, if Goff was drafted this year by the Rams...Goff would still be having the year he's having. In other words, he (and everyone else on O) had no chance to succeed last year.

I also believe that all this talk about his progression from year 1 to year 2 (this year) didn't really happen.
2017 to 2018 is when we'll really see that leap from Goff.
2016 was a misnomer rookie season.
I agree with the notion that he will have his 1st to 2nd year jump next season, but I do think that even tho the offense was a dumpster fire last season, it did give him experience with the speed of the game and looking at defenses. He also learned how to get your ass kicked in the NFL. You can't put a price on learning how not to do something.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Goff....deserves all the credit for where he is.
I am going to give McVay and his Offensive staff some credit.

They did all the right things to help the 23 year old kid be able to do his part correctly.