Gregg Williams' name comes up again in Bounty scandal lawsuit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-alleged-washington-bounty-system-continues/

Barrett Green’s case against alleged Skins bounty system continues
Posted by Mike Florio on June 25, 2015

green.jpg
Getty Images

Ultimately, the Saints bounty scandal was a Gregg Williams bounty scandal. Even though the NFL opted not to venture down the rabbit hole by looking at the former New Orleans defensive coordinator’s habits with prior teams but to plug the thing with cement and make an example out of the Saints, a former NFL player who contends he was injured by a Gregg Williams-imposed bounty program with a different franchise decided to force the issue.

Former Giants linebacker Barrett Green in 2013 sued the Skins and former tight end Robert Royal for a deliberate injury when Williams worked for the team. Last July, a judge in Maryland declined to dismiss the case, explaining that a “block intentionally designed to cause physical injury” does not fall within the confines of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

While it’s unclear what has happened in the litigation since then, Daniel Kaplan ofSportsBusiness Journal reports that the case on Thursday is in settlement talks, via order of the federal court presiding over the case.

The process, known as mediation, has become commonplace in state and federal courts throughout the nation. While the parties aren’t required to settle their disputes, they’re required to submit to the process in good faith, making an effort to try to work out the situation without further litigation.

Green claimed in his lawsuit that Royal played defense at times in Washington, bringing him under the umbrella of the bounty program allegedly maintained by Williams while employed there.

Absent a settlement, the lawsuit will continue, ending with either a dismissal or a trial.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've been conflicted about the hire of Williams because what he did makes me sick and I would have been fine if Goodell had just kicked him right the fuck out of the league when this all happened.

It's hard to root for a piece of shit, and this guy is for sure a piece of shit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've been conflicted about the hire of Williams because what he did makes me sick and I would have been fine if Goodell had just kicked him right the freak out of the league when this all happened.

It's hard to root for a piece of crap, and this guy is for sure a piece of crap.

I wonder just how good of a scheme coach he is when one of his main strategies was to take the opponents star players off the field. Did he have to do that to succeed? Or did he just get too caught up in his own bravado?

dcramfan

UDFA
I wonder just how good of a scheme coach he is when one of his main strategies was to take the opponents star players off the field. Did he have to do that to succeed? Or did he just get too caught up in his own bravado?

That is the basic scheme of defense! Take the stars off the field. Be honest. It's football for chrissakes, not basketball or baseball.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He did the crime, he did the time. If he hurt a player's income, he should now pay the civil penalty.

That being said, I don't begrudge second chances at all if the penalties are fair.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That is the basic scheme of defense! Take the stars off the field. Be honest. It's football for chrissakes, not basketball or baseball.

I disagree. This isn't boxing. The intent is not to injure other players. Sure it is physical but purposely injuring players is dirty and cheap.

fearsomefour

Legend
How could you even really prove intent to injure in a contact game?
If a QB is hit late now can he sue the other team?
Silly.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a fan of his... as far as successful, he'd better be this year!

I can't think of one reason why that defense shouldn't dominate on a consistent basis (yes, there will be the occasional hiccup, but it had better be occasional... not the total lapses we saw too often last year).

I have no way of proving this, but when he got hired, I worried about whether the refs would subconsciously call penalties just because it's his defense. I think some of that has happened, along with overly agressive play that resulted in just plain stupid penalties.

2015... no excuses whatsoever for the defense as far as I'm concerned. He has the horses, it's his second year and he's regarded as a "defensive genius".

Make it happen, Mr. Williams... from game #1!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I disagree. This isn't boxing. The intent is not to injure other players. Sure it is physical but purposely injuring players is dirty and cheap.

I don't think MOST players are out there hitting somebody hoping to INJURE them but what do think McClouds intentions were when he hit Sanders in the Rams Broncos game? I doubt he hit him hoping he would INJURE him but I guarentee he was hitting him with the intentions to inflict pain so he would think about it next time he had a pass coming his way.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Two guy's Hoping to make money thru the printing of this article, Green, and Florio!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no way of proving this, but when he got hired, I worried about whether the refs would subconsciously call penalties just because it's his defense. I think some of that has happened, along with overly agressive play that resulted in just plain stupid penalties.

Same here. What's been baffling to me is that with such a stellar coaching staff, the stupid, unnecessary penalties and boneheaded decisions have continued season after season. The talent has been there but the discipline has not.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
What has baffled me more are the NON calls! Our defensive line especially Quinn was getting held blantently on just about every play. Hell after the first game or two teams figured out the only way to stop him was choking him to the ground and they also figured out the refs wern't calling holding on this. Godell must have wanted to keep Strahan's sack record safe.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same here. What's been baffling to me is that with such a stellar coaching staff, the stupid, unnecessary penalties and boneheaded decisions have continued season after season. The talent has been there but the discipline has not.
Well, I've been told penalties don't count (or something along those lines) ;)

Seriously, though, I think it's the philosophy of the Head Coach.

My take on Jeff Fisher is that he's an agressive risk taker or defense...but seems about the opposite on offense.
He has no problems taking risks on draft picks or FA acquisitions either.
Then, he does those crazy, risky Special Teams plays :confused:

Now that I think about it, Fisher is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma o_O

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep I have always had issues with Gregg defenses & style of play. I expect great things from him.

Snead & Fisher have placed this wonderful talented defense in Gregg's hands. I feel very comfortable with Fisher & Snead supervision to insure that whatever happened in Gregg's previous NFL stints will never take place again.

Now.....If Gregg does not produce one of the best defenses in the NFL this season.....well it will be seriously disappointing. I will not tend to be so kind in my posts next year.