Greg Robinson Should Play Guard in Kromer's Scheme

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Saffold played well last year,

Not sure on that, he played better than the rest, which is not posting much. Seem to struggle getting push in the run game and when they finally put him at LT, he got hurt again.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure on that, he played better than the rest, which is not posting much. Seem to struggle getting push in the run game and when they finally put him at LT, he got hurt again.

Imo the rams made a terrible decision moving to more zone blocking concepts when a power blocking scheme fit everyone on the line better sans Tim Barnes. Imo that hurt everyone's run blocking because d line were just slanting and getting penetration when they weren't stacking the box, but Saffold was still a solid pass protector. Saffold's best guard play came when he was playing RG and pulling alot.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Saffold's best guard play came when he was playing RG and pulling alot.

True, but you can't move everybody to guard somebody has to play left tackle, so who is that guy? If you believe GROB should play LG and Saffold RG, who plays LT? I'm sure it's not Pace Murphy or Darrell Williams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great topic

I know some people on the board want to give Greg Robinson another shot at LT
I'm moving Greg Robinson to Right Tackle....Bust this....slow that...our RT gave up a 3 sack game...looked awful in a dozen others...Greg is better than Havenstein...Can we all agree on that?

The only viable draft picks will be gone before our first pick at 37.
I still holding out hope that Garrett Bolles falls. And I think Antonio Garcia is a player too. Guy from Troy. And those Western kids...W. Kentucky...W. Michigan...Morton? & Forrest...they can play...And these are all LT types....there are several "project" types...One small school monster...but he's weak as hell.

Wish we still had Battle to look at....

Who replaces him at LT?
Rookie...

The problem is there aren't quality LT options.
Rookie....

What OldSchool said about having to have a replacement for him at LT is true too.
Rookie...

If it were up to me I would just hope that GRob will win the Reserve Swing OT
Ahh my fine friend....May you never meet Greg's mama in the frozen foods section....with a turkey leg in her hand. LOLOLOLOL
I do agree that I've seen ENOUGH of the lackadaisical play...the blown assignments...but I do believe he can help us at RT....We need his power and athleticism....and Both tackle positions need to be fortified...If he fails to beat out Havenstein (if so, we really have problems) then I can see his last year as a swing tackle...will actually give him a chance to stick somewhere in 2018.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
True, but you can't move everybody to guard somebody has to play left tackle, so who is that guy? If you believe GROB should play LG and Saffold RG, who plays LT? I'm sure it's not Pace Murphy or Darrell Williams.

I dont think Saffold is the ideal solution, but I think he may be best available. Saffold's issues this year weren't his usual shoulder problems, its seems like he may have finally corrected those issues through offseason surgery. Saffold only missed one start and only Tim Barnes played more snaps on the O line, so his recent durability issues are being overstated.

People disagree with me here and thats fine and understandable. I dont subscribe to the belief that Saffold is injury allergic to playing tackle when he has played there most of his whole life.

In terms of outside options not alot out there, but I am intrigued by Antonio Garcia from Troy at the top of round 2, played well against Clemson who would have the most talented line College if Bama wasn't around, but I have to do more work on him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry I am long winded at times, but I already said who.
Sorry I just can't agree with that. To each their own but I saw nothing from him on the field to indicate he's viable at LT. He's far too injury prone and I see nothing on tape that inspires me to want the guy on the team. He's cut #1 I make if i'm the Rams.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
I'll just say that GRob has not been very good as a LT, but before I move him to G, I want to see what Kromer can do with him and the rest of the OL. IMO getting Kromer was the 2nd most important position filled on the staff. Kromer is an experienced and successful OL coach who knows what he wants and how to get it out of the player's he's coached. I'll just be patient and let Kromer figure out what to do with GRob. Greg has tremendous physical talent, let's see if Kromer can help him on the mental side. Under the last regime, the whole offense----not just GRob or the OL----was incompetent.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Great topic

I'm moving Greg Robinson to Right Tackle....Bust this....slow that...our RT gave up a 3 sack game...looked awful in a dozen others...Greg is better than Havenstein...Can we all agree on that?

Ahh my fine friend....May you never meet Greg's mama in the frozen foods section....with a turkey leg in her hand. LOLOLOLOL
I do agree that I've seen ENOUGH of the lackadaisical play...the blown assignments...but I do believe he can help us at RT....We need his power and athleticism....and Both tackle positions need to be fortified...If he fails to beat out Havenstein (if so, we really have problems) then I can see his last year as a swing tackle...will actually give him a chance to stick somewhere in 2018.

Good ideal I will avoid the frozen food sections from this point on:notsure:.

Yep best thing is not to confuse & degrade what little GRob has working for him upstairs the last 3 seasons in this last season under contract. He is not going anywhere else unless he quits this season. Its already hard enough for OL coaches to work with their OL's in the very short time they have before the season starts. Re teaching him a new inside position after 3 NFL seasons @ LT is not a good ideal with him. GRob who is not fast on the uptake of the detailed need to be technically sound enough to be a starting LT should be left in his natural playing position Tackle & hope that he can muster up the brain power & understanding to get better in competition in 2017 as the top reserve @ both RT & LT. The only way to make GRob be a better player @ this point is to really simplify his on thinking in game time field responsibilities.

If RT Havenstein continues in regression as he did in 2016 its a good ideal to have Grob there @ OT to give support to the RT position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
People disagree with me here and thats fine and understandable. I dont subscribe to the belief that Saffold is injury allergic to playing tackle when he has played there most of his whole life.

First off good topic for discussion SYG. And your premise that he is a better fit at OG under this staff might well be correct, and granted it's not a new thought given the many suggestions we've seen about moving the big guy to OG in the past, but I wanted to chip in some things here...

1. GRob needs to work his way into a starting position, be it LT or OG. Guy like him needs to understand that his play is not acceptable, so putting him in anything other than fighting for his life for a roster spot would be a mistake. Now, granted, everything is up for grabs with a new regime. But I still think this is important, as I do not like GRob's comments in the past and I think there's something wrong with the dude upstairs; I suspect he's an excuse maker.

2. Saffold played well for us when he was healthy at OT for the most part over the years. At OG he played well one season, his contract year. His ideal position is RT in my estimation, but it just so happens he's the best option we have at LT for this season so chances are he'll be our starting LT. The Rams' approach will simply be to get another good option in house in the event he goes down to injury again. That option will most likely be a drafted project type, unless they decide they like a guy on the roster among the options of GRob, Donnal, and Williams. There is a chance they stand pat this season due to unavailability of LT options plus other team needs.

3. A scheme that is tied together with strong use of play action and run/pass balance is going to help these guys. I've mentioned before that the difference between the bottom feeding OL units and the mediocre ones are approximately one sack per game. The biggest problem for the Rams' OL is the run game penetration that put them in so many undesirable situations, however some of that is due to predictability and defenses run-blitzing the F out of predictable formations in down/distance situations. And yes the young QB's blindside has to be protected in the passing game, but not having a center on skates and giving the kid a pocket to step up into is important too and that's the way I think they'll go given relative quality of this FA crop and the draft/team needs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2. Saffold played well for us when he was healthy at OT for the most part over the years. At OG he played well one season, his contract year. His ideal position is RT in my estimation, but it just so happens he's the best option we have at LT for this season so chances are he'll be our starting LT. The Rams' approach will simply be to get another good option in house in the event he goes down to injury again. That option will most likely be a drafted project type, unless they decide they like a guy on the roster among the options of GRob, Donnal, and Williams. There is a chance they stand pat this season due to unavailability of LT options plus other team needs.

Perhaps it's just semantics to me but somebody who plays "well" isn't replaced twice in his tenure as LT. Once we signed an older and injury prone Jake Long. And when Long didn't work out we drafted GRob instead of moving Saffold who played "well" back out to LT. I agree though this offseason there really aren't any solid options for us to replace GRob.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Great topic

I still holding out hope that Garrett Bolles falls. And I think Antonio Garcia is a player too. Guy from Troy. And those Western kids...W. Kentucky...W. Michigan...Morton? & Forrest...they can play...And these are all LT types....there are several "project" types...One small school monster...but he's weak as hell.

Wish we still had Battle to look at....

Rookie...

Rookie....

Rookie...

Like Boles le erage

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Perhaps it's just semantics to me but somebody who plays "well" isn't replaced twice in his tenure as LT. Once we signed an older and injury prone Jake Long. And when Long didn't work out we drafted GRob instead of moving Saffold who played "well" back out to LT. I agree though this offseason there really aren't any solid options for us to replace GRob.

That's a fair point. But remember that back when Long was signed he was seen as a top LT in this league based on his pre-injury play in previous years. Most holdover LT types would be replaced by a guy like him at that place in time and Fish thought he was getting a guy who would be in pro bowls if he stayed healthy.

Saying that Saffold has played well at LT is arguable, I admit. But if you watch a lot of other teams around the league I think Roger is a middle of the road option on the blindside. He won't compare to the true LT types, but there aren't enough of those guys to go around; you have your top group and then a bunch of RT types that play on that side. Barring one of our youngster depth types like Williams or Donnal making a big move in camp Roger's probably the guy.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The whole damned line has been bad for the last 32 games.

And you still haven't answered my question I posed in the first response. Who replaces him. It's all well and good to have a desire to bench or move somebody. But you kind of need to replace the man.

You could replace Robinson with a 1939 Polish infantryman and he would provide greater resistance.

Ram65

Legend

In terms of outside options not alot out there, but I am intrigued by Antonio Garcia from Troy at the top of round 2, played well against Clemson who would have the most talented line College if Bama wasn't around, but I have to do more work on him.

You have made good and interesting points in the entire thread. Antonio Garcia looks like he could be a good LT. He will need to work into it a bite and add weight/strength. If he is available for Rams in round 2 he has to be considered. It could bring some welcome competition at the LT position. Lot's of sorting out of the offensive is going to happen.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
UnbalancedLine1_large.jpeg

Everyone can play guard. Except that guy at the end, but no one likes him. He doesn't count.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Almost forgot about his video....

Garcia is another one with great physical attributes but needs some coaching to justify where he's likely to be drafted. Him, Motton, Dawkins, Johnson and Bisnowaty all slot in that 2-3rd round range. Some teams could make them a guard some could try to develop a tackle out of them.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Grob should be battling for his spot on the roster, not given a starting spot. He has to earn his spot. If he gets outplayed in preseason, cut him and move on. His draft status means nothing with a new staff in place.