Goff has funny balls

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

~lyser

Rookie
The young man has been impressive this season. Maybe it is RIPTSD (Ram Induced Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), but I hold my breath on a lot of his throws. First, he seems oblivious to the rush and I can almost feel a strip sack coming (thankfully hasn't happened yet). Second, he throws a kinda weird almost "soft" flutter ball.

However, I don't care about his fluttery, funny balls as long as he keeps up that accuracy. Man, he has been good. His play makers are really helping him out too. Fun to watch.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
The young man has been impressive this season. Maybe it is RIPTSD (Ram Induced Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), but I hold my breath on a lot of his throws. First, he seems oblivious to the rush and I can almost feel a strip sack coming (thankfully hasn't happened yet). Second, he throws a kinda weird almost "soft" flutter ball.

However, I don't care about his fluttery, funny balls as long as he keeps up that accuracy. Man, he has been good. His play makers are really helping him out too. Fun to watch.

His pocket awareness is the only thing that worries me so far. He seems completely oblivious to what's going on around him in terms of pocket breakdown. And when he does notice it, he chooses to go backwards which only hurts the offense more in the event of a sack. He does have the ability to lengthen plays, so getting some pocket awareness would be really beneficial.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
He just doesn't throw every pass as hard as possible like Bradford.

Goff has some nice touch on his passes. I understand what you mean though.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He just doesn't throw every pass as hard as possible like Bradford.

Goff has some nice touch on his passes. I understand what you mean though.
So you're familiar with Goff's funny balls too?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That deep throw to Watkins was a thing of beauty ... double coverage and he dropped it in there where only Watkins could catch it

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Peyton Manning threw a lot of fluttery balls....he did ok.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tom Brady doesn't even have balls, but he's made it to 40yrs old as a starter.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Hmmm, I'm quite impressed with his pocket awareness. I never got the feeling he was gonna get strip sacked or even get sacked. He got the ball out of there in a hurry when he felt the pressure coming or he moved out the way and extended the time he had to throw. I'm so excited about what he's gonna look like by season's end, in the playoffs.

KayJay

Starter
His pocket awareness is the only thing that worries me so far. He seems completely oblivious to what's going on around him in terms of pocket breakdown. And when he does notice it, he chooses to go backwards which only hurts the offense more in the event of a sack. He does have the ability to lengthen plays, so getting some pocket awareness would be really beneficial.
Going to have to disagree with you here. Just because a lot of quarterbacks duck and run when they feel pressure doesn't mean those who don't lack pocket awareness. He keeps his eyes down field, that's what a quarterback does. There were times he rolled to his right to avoid sacks. Chris Collinsworth was right however (eugh, I hate that guy) he has a tendency to drift back too much. Teams will begin to exploit that as he moves on. But all and all, I think his pocket awareness is what allowed him to beat the rush many times. He trusted his protection, and delivered strikes.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Going to have to disagree with you here. Just because a lot of quarterbacks duck and run when they feel pressure doesn't mean those who don't lack pocket awareness. He keeps his eyes down field, that's what a quarterback does. There were times he rolled to his right to avoid sacks. Chris Collinsworth was right however (eugh, I hate that guy) he has a tendency to drift back too much. Teams will begin to exploit that as he moves on. But all and all, I think his pocket awareness is what allowed him to beat the rush many times. He trusted his protection, and delivered strikes.
It's just when things break down that I feel he could use improvement. The kid is showing me a lot this year. Completing 70% of his passes, 5-1 TD-INT ratio. He looks like the real deal so far and he still only has 10 starts under his belt. I'm really excited about how much better he can get.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think Goff has got really good pocket awareness. He's got a natural feel for a pocket breaking down. The problem he has is that he just has a few bad habits when he feels the rush - he drops back too deep - or, (and this is something I like from him) he tries this spin move to get away and give himself more time and then sometimes doesn't reset his feet properly. Hes getting a lot better with that and you saw quite a few times last night where he escaped the rush and found an open guy downfield keeping his eyes in the secondary. Very impressed by the young man.

Psycho_X

Legend
He does but so did Warner... Warner threw a lot of wobbly passes in his day but they were so accurate it didn't matter lol. But like @Tron said it's usually cause he's not putting everything into it so the receiver has an easier time catching it. As long as he makes good decisions on timing it shouldn't be an issue.

But what a game for Goff. Best game by the oline so far this year helped a lot. And some of Gurley's blitz pickups were amazing as well. The offense is playing in sync for the first time in.... who the hell knows cause I can barely remember. It's wonderful.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
T
Some others QBs have balls like him---Kurt after 2001 had many of these; if he doesn't set his feet, he doesn't have the core strength to really wing it....just opinion kids....you can throw a baseball with a weake core if you can 'wrist' it....but you cant do that with afootball....again, only opinion .

~lyser

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is not a criticism of Goff or his balls at all - he has played incredibly so far.

His balls are lovely.

All I was noticing is that you see that thing come out of his hand a lot of times and you think "oh no, he floated one up for grabs" because that is how it looks. Then, you realize it was a perfectly on target strike.

How about that red zone percentage?

Kid has looked great!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jareds balls are great.

He was pretty much perfect last night, and his balls were barely Kupped.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Warner had fluttery balls, remember?, and he was the mad baller. Funny balls are OK, you have to learn to embrace them. Uh em....

Honestly, I see lots of darts lately out of Goff. I am super impressed with his improvement. He just needs to step in in the pocket, and look off coverages. He can do that.

fearsomefour

Legend
I saw Goff throw every ball on Thursday.
In a clean pocket, under pressure, moving back, stepping up in the pocket, deep balls, short stuff, a big rainbow (away from the safety, perfect pass and great catch) to Watkins, hard throws and "fluttering" ones.
Goff has touch.
Something that guys with big arms like Kap and to a lesser degree Bradford lack. Having touch is a big component of being accurate and hitting receivers in stride.
Touch is key and he has it.
Totally impressed with Goff on Thursday.
Two things he does do is always rolls to the right under pressure and he sends to sort of shuffle backward the longer he holds the ball.
This can create sacks. Havenstein gave up a sack earmy in the game. He was blocking well and Goff just sort of kept shuffling backward and allowed the rusher to just step away and grab a sack.