Give Tavon Some Love

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
As we all sit at the Rams new banquet of offensive feasting, it sure is fun looking around the table;

There is coach McVay at the head of the table (using his vast playbook as a booster seat) smiling like a Cheshire Cat.

Glance to the other end of the table and coaches Lefluer, Kromer and Olson hold up their Chalices in toast to their new found success.

Skip Peete is invited as well, but has excused himself to the men's room for a second time to try to wash off a certain lingering stench from last year. "Smells fishy".

The players all laugh and cautiously enjoy their early success in the 2017 season. "Lots of work to do," says young Jared Goff, eating his pizza. "Gotta correct these mistakes," says Robert Woods, glancing over at long time teammate Sammy Watkins as they smile, and hold up their Buffalo wings.

Todd Gurley, sitting on one side of coach McVay, has his bag of Carl's Jr. takeout, (contractual. You know) and has a relaxed grin for the first time since his rookie year. He's having fun again.

On the other side of the table, Wentworth, Saffold, Sullivan, Blythe, Brown and Havenstein are being tossed raw meat. Devouring it ravenously.

The new receivers, Gerald, Cooper and Josh hold up their Kupps in a private toast, "It's a good thing we weren't drafted by the worst offense in the NFL this year. Cheers!" As they laugh at the irony.

Pharaoh Cooper, Tyler Higbee and Derek Carrier all populate the table, enjoying their meals. (Pharaoh is wearing oven mitts as punishment for Thursday.)

But something is missing. No. Not Sean Mannion. He's there. Malcom, and even Skip Peete is back from the washroom. Look. Over there. At the kids table. Is that Tavon Austin?

There sits Tavon. (Also wearing the coach ordered oven mitts) with his End Around Chicken Strips, and Mac and Cheese. But why isn't he at the big table?

It seems many of us, here at ROD are ready to write off Tavon, with all our new found offensive success. Oh, I know. The inflated salary increase, given by the previous regime. He hasn't lived up to the top ten pick status from 2013. He doesn't have the best hands on the team. His route tree seems limited. But consider a few things:

1. Tavon is actually an important part of this new offense.
  2. Tavon with his end around fakes, cleared the way for Gurley on several runs this year, including Todds longest run Thursday. He sucks the defense over just enough to keep them honest, and open running lanes.
  3. He is effective running with the ball, and doesn't fumble much in the running game. (Ever?)
  4. He would have scored Thursday night if not for a horrible horse collar tackle by the moron, Ray Ray. It seems like a crime. The penalty, ultimately of one foot, or half the distance to the goal- didn't seem to fit the crime.
  5. I think Tavon, despite recent dropsies on punt returns, is a perfect fit for that role. I believe he will settle down, play well, and break a few big plays.
  6. Tavon is still one of the most exciting players in the league in open space. TRUST this staff to put him in these positions as the season wears on. We will worry about next year, next year.
"Hey. Tavon. Dessert is here. Come sit with us at the big table." Says Coach McVay, knowingly.

:cheers:

Last edited:

RAMBUSH

Starter
Amen, love me some tavon . Yes they over payed him but the man is a serilus worry for defenders. Forget about him and we will burn you.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As soon as he stops turning the ball over I will show him some love, he's fumbled twice against the Colts & 49ers, that's two, three strikes and you're out!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see some fake jet sweep fake running play actions as well

fearsomefour

Legend
As soon as he stops turning the ball over I will show him some love, he's fumbled twice against the Colts & 49ers, that's two, three strikes and you're out!
Gurley has fumbled three times the last two weeks....and once or twice vs the Colts as well....not comparing the production of the two, just saying, this seems to be an issue early this season.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am concerned there too, Denny. Believe me. It is confidence. I am sure of it. Tavon may be pressing.

Remember years ago when Steve Sax developed that throwing problem for a while. It's psychological. It happened to me once. Playing catcher in baseball. I began thinking too much about the throw. Hopefully Tavon snaps out of it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gurley has fumbled three times the last two weeks....and once or twice vs the Colts as well....not comparing the production of the two, just saying, this seems to be an issue early this season.

Well, fair enough, but Rams recovered his fumble against San Francisco and Gurley's getting hit, Tavon is just dropping the damn ball, if that continues, have Kupp return punts. I like a guy who can take it the distance and Tavon has that ability, but if you're going to muff the punt then I go with the guy who will call a fair catch and catch it every time.

Q729

Legend
I thought you were going to say McVay was using a cooler as a booster seat.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, fair enough, but Rams recovered his fumble against San Francisco and Gurley's getting hit, Tavon is just dropping the damn ball, if that continues, have Kupp return punts. I like a guy who can take it the distance and Tavon has that ability, but if you're going to muff the punt then I go with the guy who will call a fair catch and catch it every time.
Again, I think it is shaken confidence. I don't think it will continue. He will settle down and break some big runs for us.

Granted. He almost lost the game
for us Thursday. Muffing punts is not a mistake you can extend a long leash to correct. I just think we are writing Tavon off too quickly.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Tavon is not a punt returner.
I don't think we can risk his lame punt returns and his fumbles on the fact that he might take one to the house.

I mean yeah sure he could win a game with a punt return but he could also lose one with a fumble.

I don't like these "Heaven or Hell" players like Tavon or Janoris.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I just think we are writing Tavon off too quickly.
If we had just drafted him last year I would agree but he has so far failed in every offense we have given him a part in.
I am not saying that he won't be improved in this offense but until I see it I won't believe it and he still might be over paid even if he produces.

Ram65

Legend
As we all sit at the Rams new banquet of offensive feasting, it sure is fun looking around the table;

There is coach McVay at the head of the table (using his vast playbook as a booster seat) smiling like a Cheshire Cat.

Glance to the other end of the table and coaches Lefluer, Kromer and Olson hold up their Chalices in toast to their new found success.

Skip Peete is invited as well, but has excused himself to the men's room for a second time to try to wash off a certain lingering stench from last year. "Smells fishy".

The players all laugh and cautiously enjoy their early success in the 2017 season. "Lots of work to do," says young Jared Goff, eating his pizza. "Gotta correct these mistakes," says Robert Woods, glancing over at long time teammate Sammy Watkins as they smile, and hold up their Buffalo wings.

Todd Gurley, sitting on one side of coach McVay, has his bag of Carl's Jr. takeout, (contractual. You know) and has a relaxed grin for the first time since his rookie year. He's having fun again.

On the other side of the table, Wentworth, Saffold, Sullivan, Blythe, Brown and Havenstein are being tossed raw meat. Devouring it ravenously.

The new receivers, Gerald, Cooper and Josh hold up their Kupps in a private toast, "It's a good thing we weren't drafted by the worst offense in the NFL this year. Cheers!" As they laugh at the irony.

Pharaoh Cooper, Tyler Higbee and Derek Carrier all populate the table, enjoying their meals. (Pharaoh is wearing oven mitts as punishment for Thursday.)

But something is missing. No. Not Sean Mannion. He's there. Malcom, and even Skip Peete is back from the washroom. Look. Over there. At the kids table. Is that Tavon Austin?

There sits Tavon. (Also wearing the coach ordered oven mitts) with his End Around Chicken Strips, and Mac and Cheese. But why isn't he at the big table?

It seems many of us, here at ROD are ready to write off Tavon, with all our new found offensive success. Oh, I know. The inflated salary increase, given by the previous regime. He hasn't lived up to the top ten pick status from 2013. He doesn't have the best hands on the team. His route tree seems limited. But consider a few things:

1. Tavon is actually an important part of this new offense.
  2. Tavon with his end around fakes, cleared the way for Gurley on several runs this year, including Todds longest run Thursday. He sucks the defense over just enough to keep them honest, and open running lanes.
  3. He is effective running with the ball, and doesn't fumble much in the running game. (Ever?)
  4. He would have scored Thursday night if not for a horrible horse collar tackle by the moron, Ray Ray. It seems like a crime. The penalty, ultimately of one foot, or half the distance to the goal- didn't seem to fit the crime.
  5. I think Tavon, despite recent dropsies on punt returns, is a perfect fit for that role. I believe he will settle down, play well, and break a few big plays.
  6. Tavon is still one of the most exciting players in the league in open space. TRUST this staff to put him in these positions as the season wears on. We will worry about next year, next year.
"Hey. Tavon. Dessert is here. Come sit with us at the big table." Says Coach McVay, knowingly.

:cheers:

Very creative.

I said before game Tavon needs more plays. He could use some stickum on the new color rush jersey too.

Overpaid and under producing describes Tavon Austin. Despite these glaring negatives Tavon helped get the run game going with the fake jet sweeps. It's a weird situation. Keep the fakes and let him run some. Unless the Rams can make a decent trade soon he still has a role.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
The problem isn't Tavon, it's the fact that with so many contracts needing renewal, we need to maximize value in every signing.

Tavon has talent, but he's a gadget player and gadget players can usually be found cheaper.

Comparables:

Tyreek Hill, 5th Round
Avg. Salary Per Year: $646,555.00

Taylor Gabriel, UDFA
Avg. Salary Per Year: $2.7 M

Ty Montgomery, 3rd Round
Avg. Salary Per Year: $737,199.00

Tavon's role can easily be replaced by a cheaper alternative and that's the whole point with the Tavon criticism.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
If we had just drafted him last year I would agree but he has so far failed in every offense we have given him a part in.
I am not saying that he won't be improved in this offense but until I see it I won't believe it and he still might be over paid even if he produces.

I would have given Tavon a passing grade for how he was used in 2015 - B-/C

Not failure

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
The problem isn't Tavon, it's the fact that with so many contracts needing renewal, we need to maximize value in every signing.

Tavon has talent, but he's a gadget player and gadget players can usually be found cheaper.

Comparables:

Tyreek Hill, 5th Round
Avg. Salary Per Year: $646,555.00

Taylor Gabriel, UDFA
Avg. Salary Per Year: $2.7 M

Ty Montgomery, 3rd Round
Avg. Salary Per Year: $737,199.00

Tavon's role can easily be replaced by a cheaper alternative and that's the whole point with the Tavon criticism.
Maybe, next year

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would have given Tavon a passing grade for how he was used in 2015 - B-/C

Not failure
And as usual I'm being critical of where he was picked where is been failed in his coaching and a ridiculous contract given him- not the person.

The players are what they are.
It is up to the organization to pick the right players for their systems, coach them up and use them correctly.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Gurley has had the fumble issues as well you going to 3 strike him?