Florio: Business Pressure (Jersey Sales) May Help Make Sam A Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Jersey sales should have nothing to do with if you make a team or not, imo.

Just curious, who bought a MS jersey on this site? :D

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Florio doesn't seem to realize that jersey sales profits are shared among 31 teams (the Cowboys have opted out). Ram Jersey sales just don't matter to Kroenke's bottom line - except for sales in the team store, where the team gets the retail mark up. But I'd bet that the vast majority of Michael Sam jersey sales are NOT in the Rams' team store, but across the country. What WOULD add to Kroenke's bottom line is winning more, especially if it gets the Rams in the playoffs - or just gets them a winning record. Either would boost season ticket sales significantly.

In terms of whether the team can recognize if the wrong person is the final cut - possibly. However, remember that what matters is NOT just how a player plays in training camp, but what the team thinks of his future too. Add in it's not just positional value, but special teams value. If two players are close in position value, there's no way the team will feel that coach doesn't know best. And if it's somebody at another position - well, that's right out.

The most likely to be noticed would be Westbrooks - but Sam plays more special teams, and hasn't missed a bunch of time in camp.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
It's sad we even have to discuss this subject. Of course the best players should make the cut. Nothing else should matter but I realize there has to be pressure coming from the league to give Sam the benefit of the doubt. And I agree with 12intheBox. It's easy to tell who should be 53rd. It's just between Sam, Westbrooks & Conrath.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If say, the coaches couldn't decide between Sam and Westbrooks or Conrath because they have them all rated basically the same, I think the ticket sales and publicity could maybe push Sam over the top, but if he's not the best player or at the same level, they won't keep him just to keep him. He's going to have to earn his roster spot like anybody else.

cracengl

Rookie
If all things are equal between him and another guy, I can see pressure from the league or just wanting to help the guy playing a slight role. But if he's nowhere close, I just don't buy it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If say, the coaches couldn't decide between Sam and Westbrooks or Conrath because they have them all rated basically the same, I think the ticket sales and publicity could maybe push Sam over the top, but if he's not the best player or at the same level, they won't keep him just to keep him. He's going to have to earn his roster spot like anybody else.

And in that case, it'd be keeping the guy you drafted, the SEC DPOY, who performed at a high level for years against top college competition. That's got to count for something, everything else being equal. If somebody isn't clearly better after 6 weeks or so, why shouldn't college performance be a tie breaker, as an indication that he is not just performing at a brief peak level?

FRO

Legend
What's also sad is if Sam gets cut, media types like Florio will insinuate that the Rams cut him because he was gay. In my mind they do a disservice to gay players. You will have guys like Dungy not go after a Michael Sam because he knows how bent out of shape the media will get if he is cut. I don't fault Dungy at all. I blame the media.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What's also sad is if Sam gets cut, media types like Florio will insinuate that the Rams cut him because he was gay. In my mind they do a disservice to gay players. You will have guys like Dungy not go after a Michael Sam because he knows how bent out of shape the media will get if he is cut. I don't fault Dungy at all. I blame the media.

I blame people who actually have to make a good human beings' sexual orientation a big fuckin deal over real issues.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Maybe 12intheBox but I really doubt it. If you're correct then why does anyone fear the Turk? Because, you know, they already know who made the team. :LOL:

Totally not buying that. I'm not saying that there aren't some political/financial decisions that are obvious to many of the rest of the players but...

The players in the positional battle themselves don't see it nearly as clearly as the established players on the roster.

Chris Long will know whether Sam outplayed Westbrooks (for instance) even if Sam and Westbrooks aren't as sure. Sometimes it's more obvious than others, but they know.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would it not be a little pre mature to purchase a Rams team jersey of #96/M. Sam before pre season begins? Where there is a very strong possibility that he will be released. Imagine then Micheal Sam ends up getting signed by the Seahawks or the 9ers with a different number.....are they still a Rams fan or Sam's 9ers/Seahawk fan?

I guess I am different here....I do like many other NFL teams & dislike many too but I not a fan of any other NFL team other than the St Louis Rams. There have been a very few ex Ram players who I had some slight residue of fan-man-ship attached to them i.e. Warner, Bruce & Dickerson but if their not a Ram ....... fades very rapidly ........I would never bye a jersey of any player if he were not a Ram & that Ram player would have to be a bona fide good NFL ball player. I would wait a bit to by a Ram rookies jersey myself & see what he does on game day.

Last edited:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Something to consider is that Westbrooks may end up being the better d-lineman...but Sam may be a better special teamer. To me, the 9th DL having ST value may be worth more.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Something to consider is that Westbrooks may end up being the better d-lineman...but Sam may be a better special teamer. To me, the 9th DL having ST value may be worth more.

I'd keep the guy with the biggest upside, myself.

Alan

Legend
12intheBox moving the goal post:
The players in the positional battle themselves don't see it nearly as clearly as the established players on the roster.

Chris Long will know whether Sam outplayed Westbrooks (for instance) even if Sam and Westbrooks aren't as sure. Sometimes it's more obvious than others, but they know.
I like this statement better than your first one but I'm still not buying it and I'll tell you why. Chris might be closely in tune with everything happening on the D-line but not know bupkis about what's going on with special teams. That is why you have a HC who can put all the disparate pieces together.

So no, I'm still not buying that.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul

If he makes the team guys like Florio will insinuate the Rams kept him for PC reasons and not athletic merit. Flippin' Florio.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
The only way jersey sales tip the balance is if he and another player are both playing equally well and both performing equally valuable duties on special teams.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Perhaps Somewhat Ironically, I would guess that a lot of M. Sam's Jerseys have been sold in San Francisco.

FRO

Legend
If he makes the team guys like Florio will insinuate the Rams kept him for PC reasons and not athletic merit. Flippin' Florio.
Exactly. They will say it's for jersey sales or PR. Everything is politicized anymore. Sam will make this team or get cut because of merit. That's how things are supposed to work.