Fisher SHOULD start Goff against Denver.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think the "not ready" meme is overblown. Yes, Goff is not ready if you want a QB that never makes a mistake and never turns the ball over. Turnovers are always horrible, but believe it or not there used to be a time when turning the ball over happened more frequently in exchange for better offense. I remember this one team in 2001 that finished minus-10 in turnover margin on the season but had a 14-2 record because their QB made a lot of mistakes but made many more great plays.

Of course, the Rams of today are miles away and do not have the WR talent to do such things, and today's NFL game has become paranoid against turnovers, including Jeff Fisher. But I just had to throw it out there that there is no one recipe for success. I've seen Goff make some bonehead plays and hold the ball too long, but I've also seen him make some great throws already. So I think he's "not ready" only under the standard of the "zero tolerance for turnovers" mentality.

If the Rams are gonna play Fisherball, then it's 100% agreed he's not ready and sit him. But if the Rams want a better offense than last year, and brought Groh in for a reason other than to call the same plays as last year, and are looking for a QB to actually make plays rather than avoid mistakes, perhaps the standard of "ready" should be reconsidered.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Can't say I wouldn't like him to start but Fisher said in his press conference this game is the real warm up to the season and most of the starters will probably play until beginning of Q3 so they have the "halftime" experience.
So unless he considers Goff the opening day starter he's not gonna play until 2nd half.
I'd love for Goff to start week 1 but even I can admit he doesn't look quite ready. Although he hasn't had enough time with the # 1's in my opinion. And in fairness to Keenum he has looked pretty good. At least he doesn't look like he would hurt us any.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I remember this one team in 2001 that finished minus-10 in turnover margin on the season but had a 14-2 record because their QB made a lot of mistakes but made many more great plays.
I think I remember that team too....and a 2004 team that was always battling the turnovers, but was an exciting team to watch as well...

This all got me thinking...about the 9ers...about last season...about Keenum...and how he played the last time in SF....I remember an awful game by Case....in fact, I almost wanted to watch it...but instead...I just looked here:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201601030sfo.htm
It was such an underwhelming performance...I mean, the only TD we scored was a 3 yard drive...What has Case done to earn a starting QB gig?!? What the hell are we discussing? Who thinks this guy has transformed into some world beater? How are we gonna outscore Chip's offense? and....I already KNOW we're gonna lose the yards battle....If you're pulling for Casey Austin Keenum to start, you don't know how the opening games drive a season....This FG fest was....man....Someone SHOW me, how Case is gonna play so much different in this game? And someone SHOW me how this helps Goff to sit behind this guy....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jared Goff isn't ready to start week 1 at San Francisco.
His lack of experience under Center is an issue, his ball security and internal play clock are not tuned up enough yet to face any team right now, not even against the flaming paper bag of dogshit that is the San Francisco FordyNinurs.

And that's exactly why the rookie SHOULD start against Denver.
ALL The Rookie's need a chance at a lot more Rep's! And the best way to do that is with an experienced QB on the Field, and that's why Goff should not Start against Denver! It's better for the Team and the Roster Depth to get as many Plays as possible!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
....If you're pulling for Casey Austin Keenum to start, you don't know how the opening games drive a season....This FG fest was....man....Someone SHOW me, how Case is gonna play so much different in this game? And someone SHOW me how this helps Goff to sit behind this guy....

How about a healthy OLine, Gurley, Cooper, Higbee, and an offseason w Groh improving the scheme. Surely ANY QB would look better with those factors compared to Case's last game of the season.

Let's see, I believe we can all agree Keenum is better than Foles and the Seahawks are better than the Niners and the Rams beat the Hawks in the first game last season so....

As for how it impacts Goff's development, I addressed that earlier in this thread

fearsomefour

Legend
Are you that sure that starting Keenum week 1 will prove to be the best thing for the team 17 weeks later?

Btw, I'm not 100% sure about anything, but I do appreciate a good discussion and different points of view.
No way of knowing about weeks later. I am very sure it would be a mistake if the goal is beating SF week 1.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I suppose it depends on whether Keenum needs the reps himself to be ready week 1.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I don't believe he will start against Denver, just that he should.
I do still believe that there is a good chance that he will start week 1 though.

I don't think Goff will start either game.
I don't think Goff should start vs Denver and if he's not ready, he should not start the season vs the SF Dumpster fires.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Goff needs to sit. Honestly, best thing for the long term of the team is to let him learn this year and hope Mannion wins the starter job and balls out. Then you have teams calling for trades. Get those draft picks just as your new Franchise QB is ready to step in.

I'm apathetic to either Keenum or Mannion starting. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

BadCompany

Rookie
The sooner the training wheels come off, the sooner he experiences throwing against and to NFL starting caliber talent, the sooner he learns how to communicate with his O-line, how to handle the noise in a hostile environment.....
.....then it's all the sooner THE MOST TALENTED QB ON THE RAMS ROSTER can start winning games.

Delaying his progress only delays the inevitable.

I don't know when Goff should or shouldn't start, but I've always disagreed with this notion that "kids need to play - it's the only way they'll learn." If that's the case, why not just take a high school kid and throw him out there against an NFL team? It's the only way he'll learn, right? Why delay the inevitable? For that matter, might as well take a 10 year old, and have him play QB. He'll develop faster, no?

If he's not ready... he's not ready. No amount of forcing will make him ready. In fact, the opposite is likely to occur. Which isn't to say that players that are close shouldn't be pushed to take the next step, but how close is Goff? I don't know myself, maybe he needs to be pushed outside his comfort zone, and delaying only delays his progress. But maybe he's just not ready, and pushing him into a situation he just isn't prepared to handle won't give him experience, it'll just destroy him.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way of knowing about weeks later. I am very sure it would be a mistake if the goal is beating SF week 1.

Unless he was to look good against the firsts in Denver?

And if he doesn't get that opportunity, we won't know.

If Keenum starts, and plays well, does Goff get on the field this season?
If he doesn't, there will be plenty of remorse over not knowing what we have in him, despite trading a whole bunch of picks. And Keenum will be a FACTOR.

Again, I don't think Goff is ready... yet.
I can't remember seeing many rookies who looked ready after playing 2 preseason games.

Goff starting is the goal. It's going to happen. Why not start his learning curve during the preseason, where we have two more games that don't count?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know when Goff should or shouldn't start, but I've always disagreed with this notion that "kids need to play - it's the only way they'll learn." If that's the case, why not just take a high school kid and throw him out there against an NFL team? It's the only way he'll learn, right? Why delay the inevitable? For that matter, might as well take a 10 year old, and have him play QB. He'll develop faster, no?

If he's not ready... he's not ready. No amount of forcing will make him ready. In fact, the opposite is likely to occur. Which isn't to say that players that are close shouldn't be pushed to take the next step, but how close is Goff? I don't know myself, maybe he needs to be pushed outside his comfort zone, and delaying only delays his progress. But maybe he's just not ready, and pushing him into a situation he just isn't prepared to handle won't give him experience, it'll just destroy him.

Because high-school kids are not 6'4", over 200lbs with 4 years of starting experience in college and dont have an arm and feet and accuracy that get you drafted 1st overall...

That's my best guess....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone's opinion is what makes this place great, time will tell, or it wont, what the correct decision may have been...

That said, I just don't know why there is this solid belief that Case Keenum gives us a better chance to win.
Not trying to knock him, I just don't see it.
I mean, he is what he is, and he just lost to San Fran in our last game of 2015. Yes he didn't have Gurley, but the Rams did rush for 130+ yards in the game. Case didn't win any games for us last year, the defense did. And being the defense has had a tendency to start slow, and San Fran to be playing an up tempo offense which hasn't really been seen yet, I can see San Fran scoring some points

First hope is that Goff plays beastly this weekend and Fisher changes his tune, and after that I hope for sure that I am completely wrong and we see Case Keenum like the 1st half of the Tampa game

fearsomefour

Legend
Unless he was to look good against the firsts in Denver?

And if he doesn't get that opportunity, we won't know.

If Keenum starts, and plays well, does Goff get on the field this season?
If he doesn't, there will be plenty of remorse over not knowing what we have in him, despite trading a whole bunch of picks. And Keenum will be a FACTOR.

Again, I don't think Goff is ready... yet.
I can't remember seeing many rookies who looked ready after playing 2 preseason games.

Goff starting is the goal. It's going to happen. Why not start his learning curve during the preseason, where we have two more games that don't count?
It would not matter to me how well Goff played. There is the whole part of the game he is going to struggle with, like almost all rookies.
Facing a vanilla defense, no matter how good they are, is not going to be the same. Learning his drops, getting the ball out on time, not holding the ball, having a quicker internal clock in the pocket, not wanting to bail and run and not fumbling 3 times in a dozen or so snaps....all of that needs to be cleaned up and that is before anything like reading a defense.
Understand, this is not bashing Goff. One can see the talent on display. There have several great throws already and I have little concern about his ability.
However, week 1 should be the objective right now and that means Keenum.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
While I appreciate and understand the notion that Jared should be allowed to develop in live action with the 1's, I disagree with this assessment. Yes, Goff has the most talent. Yes, reps with the starting unit is necessary. There is something to be said for biting the bullet and sacrificing for the long term good.

But I disagree for the following reasons. One, not putting the best prepared player on the field is unfair to the rest of the team. Players need to be able to trust that the staff is as committed to winning ONE GAME AT A TIME just as coaches preach to them everyday. One game at a time, one series at a time, one play at a time. Secondly, by not being mentally prepared for the job, Jared's development can actually be hindered by playing through the errors. He can develop bad habits. He can begin to lose confidence. He can lose the confidence of his teammates. He can be unnecessarily exposed to avoidable injury.

There are pros and cons involved in playing Goff right away but our opinions won't change Fisher's mind on the subject. He will get backup reps until the staff believe he's ready to be the best choice for winning any game and that time has not yet come.

What leoram just said...

He absolutely nailed it, y'all.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I think I remember that team too....and a 2004 team that was always battling the turnovers, but was an exciting team to watch as well...

This all got me thinking...about the 9ers...about last season...about Keenum...and how he played the last time in SF....I remember an awful game by Case....in fact, I almost wanted to watch it...but instead...I just looked here:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201601030sfo.htm
It was such an underwhelming performance...I mean, the only TD we scored was a 3 yard drive...What has Case done to earn a starting QB gig?!? What the hell are we discussing? Who thinks this guy has transformed into some world beater? How are we gonna outscore Chip's offense? and....I already KNOW we're gonna lose the yards battle....If you're pulling for Casey Austin Keenum to start, you don't know how the opening games drive a season....This FG fest was....man....Someone SHOW me, how Case is gonna play so much different in this game? And someone SHOW me how this helps Goff to sit behind this guy....

Exactly. Case gets us nowhere.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Check out these preseason stats for Case Keenum.

http://www.nfl.com/player/casekeenum/2532888/profile

Pretty amazing, if you ask me. Not to mention that the other players just seem to keep making plays for him.

When deciding whether Keenum or Goff should start on opening day, I think that we should ask ourselves 2 questions.

Which QB stands the best chance of delivering the win on that particular day?

And against a starting D that has game planned against us for a week and a half with intentions of trying to confuse our QB? No more vanilla preseason D, anymore.

I think a reasonable person would say that Keenum would give us the better chance of a win vs the Niners.

Goff's time will come. And it will come pretty soon, at that, I think. Best we let the kid watch and learn on opening day, IMO.

Then make the decision each week based on latest Goff development info. It's not a question of "if" anymore. It's a question of "when".

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
against a starting D that has game planned against us for a week and a half with intentions of trying to confuse our QB? No more vanilla preseason D, anymore.

I think a reasonable person would say that Keenum would give us the better chance of a win vs the Niners.
Guess I'm unreasonable then, because for the exact reasons you list, I think Keenum has a bigger chance to lose week 1. The opposition will game plan stacked completely against the run and short pass. 8 guys in the box to stop Gurley? Heck put 11, because Keenum can't complete a pass over 3 yards anyway. It's the perfect dream for a bad team like the Whiners, face an opponent content to play just as horrible of offense as they will, and somehow squeak a lucky, ugly 19-16 win.

Now with Goff, they might salivate and try to blitz to confuse the rookie. Handoff to Gurley kinda screws up that plan. Bring up the defense to stop the run? Dial up a nice 20 yard strike from Goff. Uh oh now we have to play a few steps back and honor the deep ball, here comes Gurley to totally run over any defense that's back on its heels.

Not even close in my opinion. Goff gives options and the chance to actually win by a few touchdowns, like the Rams superior talent should. With Keenum you might as well just water down the field and play in mud, because he's the equalizer of mediocrity bringing our offense down to the Whiners level of talent. A Keenum game will be decided on a coin flip of a lucky turnover or call, which plays right into the underdog's wheelhouse.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guess I'm unreasonable then, because for the exact reasons you list, I think Keenum has a bigger chance to lose week 1. The opposition will game plan stacked completely against the run and short pass. 8 guys in the box to stop Gurley? Heck put 11, because Keenum can't complete a pass over 3 yards anyway. It's the perfect dream for a bad team like the Whiners, face an opponent content to play just as horrible of offense as they will, and somehow squeak a lucky, ugly 19-16 win.

Now with Goff, they might salivate and try to blitz to confuse the rookie. Handoff to Gurley kinda screws up that plan. Bring up the defense to stop the run? Dial up a nice 20 yard strike from Goff. Uh oh now we have to play a few steps back and honor the deep ball, here comes Gurley to totally run over any defense that's back on its heels.

Not even close in my opinion. Goff gives options and the chance to actually win by a few touchdowns, like the Rams superior talent should. With Keenum you might as well just water down the field and play in mud, because he's the equalizer of mediocrity bringing our offense down to the Whiners level of talent. A Keenum game will be decided on a coin flip of a lucky turnover or call, which plays right into the underdog's wheelhouse.
I'm right there with you. Call me Mr. Unreasonable because I can't think of a way the Keenum could possibly give us a better shot.