Fisher: Rams were 'closer than people think' to keeping Janoris Jenkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-than-people-think-to-keeping-janoris-jenkins

upload_2016-3-28_15-5-26.png

Before free agency even began, the Los Angeles Rams made it abundantly clear that keeping their own key free agents was going to be the top priority. At the NFL scouting combine in February, coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead took it a step further and pointed to the retention of their secondary as the primary focus.

That meant the Rams were intent on keeping cornerbacks Trumaine Johnsonand Janoris Jenkins as well as safeties Rodney McLeod and Mark Barron. It was an arduous task, to be sure, but one that the Rams didn't believe to be impossible.

Realistically, the Rams knew that they might lose one of those players but didn't expect that two would eventually depart. When all was said and done, though, the Rams watched Jenkins head to the New York Giants and McLeod land with the Philadelphia Eagles as both players scored lucrative long-term contracts with a combined $45.8 million in guarantees.

In McLeod's case, the negotiations eventually went to a price the Rams were uncomfortable paying so they couldn't have been surprised when he decided to leave. But things were a bit different for Jenkins, according to Fisher.

"We were a lot closer than people think," Fisher said. "I was disappointed. I thought we were, I thought we’d get, he really wanted to come back. I spoke to him several times during the process and prior to the process. I expected that we were going to get things worked out."

The Rams and Jenkins had been working on a potential extension for over a year, with the Rams offering up to around $8 million annually last preseason. Jenkins cut off those conversations at the week 6 bye, saying he wanted to focus on football. Talks resumed in earnest late in the season as the Rams hoped to get a deal done with Jenkins before free agency so they could still use the franchise tag on Johnson, thus locking up both starting corners.

Despite reports of the Rams upping their offer, it simply wasn't enough to prevent Jenkins from wanting to test the market. All along, Jenkins and his camp were aiming to start the bidding in the range of the $10.5 million annual salary cornerback Byron Maxwell got from Philadelphia in 2015. After a last-minute agent change, Jenkins had no shortage of suitors when the league opened its negotiating window a couple of days before free agency started.

Even as the new league year opened, the Rams stayed in the mix.

"And then the money did take off," Fisher said. "The market was there. But we were a lot closer than people think. So I was disappointed to see him go. But you know this is the first time since we’ve been here or we’ve had to deal with unrestricted free agency because we drafted them four years ago and we developed them. Try and keep them all, you can’t. The staff did a great job, especially developing the defensive backs."

Ultimately, Jenkins landed a five-year, $62.5 million deal -- a $12.5 million annual average that places him among the highest-paid cornerbacks in the league. Apparently, the Rams were willing to consider doing something similar but, in the game of free agency, there's no prize for second place.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Not retaining Jenkins has kinda worried me, is Fish & Co going to be able to re-sign our other good players come time? In Fisher I trust but I'm still a bit terrified of the thought.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not retaining Jenkins has kinda worried me, is Fish & Co going to be able to re-sign our other good players come time? In Fisher I trust but I'm still a bit terrified of the thought.
I don't see why not. The only problem would be an inflated sense of self-worth by the player.
If the Rams thought Janoris was a $9M/yr corner (more than fair), and he thinks he's a $12M/yr corner, then what do you do?
Overpay?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I don't see why not. The only problem would be an inflated sense of self-worth by the player.
If the Rams thought Janoris was a $9M/yr corner (more than fair), and he thinks he's a $12M/yr corner, then what do you do?
Overpay?

Well he was our CB1 and was a key peice of our defense. I'm sure we'll run into the same situation when Donald and Gurley hit contracts too. Will we lose them too if they feel like they're worth more than our offer? I sure hope not.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Overpay?

Thats life in the NFL. Players leave for free agency. Someone will overpay. Jenkins is a fine player, but not worth what the Giants are giving him. I suppose the Giants were more desperate at that position that they're willing to pay it. The Rams have options there. Gaines, Joyner and now Sensabaugh can make up for what we lost in Jenkins. Who knows, maybe one of them will be more consistent. Joyner has the potential to be pretty darn good.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well he was our CB1 and was a key peice of our defense. I'm sure we'll run into the same situation when Donald and Gurley hit contracts too. Will we lose them too if they feel like they're worth more than our offer? I sure hope not.
IMO, he's replaceable. If the Rams thought he was worth $62M, they would have paid him that.
Gurley and Donald will command top 5 money, and the Rams will certainly agree with that price.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Jenkins better hope the Giants put a top of the line Dline in front of him.As much as Jenkins improved over the last couple years he had alot if help.If NY doesn't put pressure on the QB like the Rams Dline did he'll be in trouble.

Ram65

Legend
I don't think the Rams were close at all. Fisher spinning it. They just weren't going to over pay him like the Giants did.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Screw Jenkins, he is a quitter and he said so himself. Hope he gets burned all season long.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I remember many on this board didn't want him to stay. Saying things like he's only playing like this b/c it's his contract year, always inconsistent, takes too many chances, gets burns a lot, is a dolt on twitter, being condescending toward the way he talked/acted, only in it for money, etc etc.

Now the Rams should've gave into his demands? Did I miss something along the way when almost everyone is JJ's side now?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Let me ask a question to the audience here. If, during the 2015 offseason, I suggested the Rams should extend Jenkins for 5 more years @ $62M, how many would have agreed that was a swell idea? And how many would have told me to go fuck myself?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I always thought he was leaving the moment he broke off talks. I was hoping he would stay but wasn't shocked when he went to the highest bidder.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Let me ask a question to the audience here. If, during the 2015 offseason, I suggested the Rams should extend Jenkins for 5 more years @ $62M, how many would have agreed that was a swell idea? And how many would have told me to go freak myself?

Yeah. I'm with you, X. I think we will be glad he is gone. Imagine not being able to sign Donald, or Gurley because of this Jackhole's contract hanging around our neck.

jap

Legend

The difference here is that Jenks thought (erroneously) that he ranked well with the very best at his position. However, Aaron and Todd may very well become the apex at their respective positions if they are not there already

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

They should get a third round pick back. However, if they lose these guys that came from the extra picks acquired in the RGIII trade then what point was the trade. I brought this up before. Too many high picks close together makes it tough to sign them all if they all pan out. Kind of makes it like the trade value just decreased.

I don't think the Rams were close at all. Fisher spinning it. They just weren't going to over pay him like the Giants did.

Same here. I believe that they weren't really even negotiating that seriously.

Let me ask a question to the audience here. If, during the 2015 offseason, I suggested the Rams should extend Jenkins for 5 more years @ $62M, how many would have agreed that was a swell idea? And how many would have told me to go freak myself?

Absolutely not. Jenkins really turned it on in his contract year. Anquon Bolden showed us at the end of the season that Jenkins is still Jenkins, prone to key mistakes. He had a value and the Giants overpaid.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
go freak yurself!

View: http://imgur.com/LYQzE0Z

Rams43

Hall of Fame

You just made a "drop mic" post there, X.

Look, we can't keep them all. It's just not possible.

Good drafting teams will always lose some of their good players to desperate bad drafting teams that are willing to overpay.

We might as well just get used to it because it's gonna happen to us again and again with some players that we wish we could keep.

The GOOD news is that we appear to be a good drafting team so we will always have a pipeline of incoming talent to replace the players we lose.

For example, Gaines is gonna replace Jenkins. Know what? I think I prefer Gaines, tbh.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Contrast losing good players in FA now to a few short years ago when if a player made it through their original contract without getting cut the team would be glad to let them walk so they could maybe sign a better player. Set a price and have priorities with an eye to the future.