Fisher expects Benny Cunningham to be 3rd down back again this season.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I think while Mason is the clear starter, Stacy was critically underused in short yardage and other situations. I hope he gets a few more carries this year, which I think will also benefit Mason beyond just this one season. And beyond regular season if we can make the playoffs.

Couldn't agree more. Stacy is a talented back that for whatever reason just wasn't being used last year, one season after rushing for 900+ yards as a rookie after not even really playing for the first 4 weeks of the season. Not sure if it was a health thing, or if he was in the Coaches doghouse, but it kinda pissed me off last year when late in the season we saw Trey Watts getting more playing time than Zac Stacy.

I understand that Mason brings a different dynamic to the table, he can take a handful and go 80+ at anytime. That's something Stacy will never be able to do, but if he gets 15-20 carries a game, he's going to put up yardage for you.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
Benny Cunningham - RB - Rams
Coach Jeff Fisher expects Benny Cunningham to be his third-down back again this season.

Even after Tre Mason seized feature back duties midway through last season, he ceded passing work to Cunningham. Benny finished with 45 catches for 532 yards and one touchdown. "He’s just really good out of the backfield. He’s probably the better protector of the three," Fisher said. The roles in St. Louis' backfield appear set as Zac Stacy will back up workhorse Mason and Cunningham will slide in on pass downs. Isaiah Pead, coming off a torn ACL, could be the odd man out.
Related: Isaiah Pead, Zac Stacy, Tre Mason

Source: ESPN.com
Apr 2 - 8:15 AM
Pead is going to challenge Cunningham for that spot. He's the forgotten man. I don't know how those injury settlements work, but he hasn't gotten one. Yet

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So to sum it up...

Fisher: "I'm comfortable with our running backs".

Interpretation: Gurley to the Rams at pick 10.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Benny finished with 45 catches for 532 yards and one touchdown"
Lol. Why bother editing....

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Actually 5, counting Chase Reynolds. And don't forget Watts (who is likely the odd man out).
Reynolds would be the odd man out. Not only did Watts stand out on ST, but he also played well as a back and reciever. Reynolds only plays teams, and not as well as Watts. The only play that Reynolds made was an unsportsmanlike conduct.

Stel

Starter
Reynolds would be the odd man out. Not only did Watts stand out on ST, but he also played well as a back and reciever. Reynolds only plays teams, and not as well as Watts. The only play that Reynolds made was an unsportsmanlike conduct.

You may be right, but Reynolds led all RBs in special teams snaps, being in on 63% of them (Watts not that far behind at 51%). Interestingly (at least to me) is that Cunningham was in on more offensive snaps than Mason (by a small margin). Didn't seem that way watching the games.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
After Stacy's first season, over 1000 yards running and catching the ball, he went into (relative) obscurity, and I really don't understand this, he's had more 100yrd+ games etc - Fisher has never really explained why Stacy went from starter to 'gap filler' on the roster.

Especially when he has a better record against our division - I bet Stacy wished he went to Auburn ;)

lockdnram21

Legend
Stacy get nicked up hurt to much. I like him but I would rather keep going with Tre and Benny. If we fix the line I think Tre can be special. I think he can perform like Murray did last season

Memphis Ram

Legend
As good as Benny Cunningham has been as the 3rd down back, I wish they had someone out there with more wiggle. Someone that can motion out wide and be a matchup problem. Sure, he doesn't have to be Marshall Faulk, but I'd settle for Amp Lee.

In the end, while he'll probably never get the chance, I really believe that Pead would do a better job as a 3rd round back.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I hope Pead is able to play this season. I still think he could be one heck of a RB if given a real chance.
I would take Watts over Reynolds.
I also want to see some ceativity withthe RB's, 2-back sets, not just Cunnungham on 3rd down. Let's see Mason and Cunningham, Mason and Stacey, Mason and Harkey, my favorite would be Mason and Pead. That would be a fearsome tandem coming at you.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm just glad we have a home-run threat RB (Mason) who won't pull a hammy when he makes a long run (SJ). In one of his last seasons, I remember watching SJ take a hand-off to the house, and thinking, "Uh-oh", and sure enough, it was hammy-time. Off to the bench for 6-8 weeks.

Was there really a need to take a shot at Jackson in a Benny Cunningham thread?

jap

Legend
As good as Benny Cunningham has been as the 3rd down back, I wish they had someone out there with more wiggle. Someone that can motion out wide and be a matchup problem. Sure, he doesn't have to be Marshall Faulk, but I'd settle for Amp Lee.

In the end, while he'll probably never get the chance, I really believe that Pead would do a better job as a 3rd round back.

Agreed! Not including Mr. Excitement, Isaiah is the fastest RB on the team, the most elusive, the best hands, and the best pass blocking before his injury. He needs to prove he can come back and be all he can be . . . and even more! :sneaky:

jap

Legend
After Stacy's first season, over 1000 yards running and catching the ball, he went into (relative) obscurity, and I really don't understand this, he's had more 100yrd+ games etc - Fisher has never really explained why Stacy went from starter to 'gap filler' on the roster.

Especially when he has a better record against our division - I bet Stacy wished he went to Auburn ;)

Both Tre and Benny offer more explosion than Zac the Mac (Truck). Benny has better hands and is faster with good functional strength. Tre is faster and runs with good instincts, which offsets Zac's outstanding balance and great running instincts. The silent elephant (performance-wise) in the room is Isaiah Pead, who may be most talented RB on the roster and who appeared to be getting his head screwed on right before a pre-season injury ended his 2014 campaign.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Pead is getting a lot of love here. I'm not sure he deserves it. Bennie is a gamer, he shows up when it counts. Mason and Stacy have actually proven they can go 1000 in a full season. What Pead has shown is not much of anything. I'd rather have Watts.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I don't get the Pead love either... In 3yrs he has shown nothing but that he can pass protect, he's VERY indecisive, and i think he averages a fumble Once every other game if he touches the ball.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Both Tre and Benny offer more explosion than Zac the Mac (Truck). Benny has better hands and is faster with good functional strength. Tre is faster and runs with good instincts, which offsets Zac's outstanding balance and great running instincts. The silent elephant (performance-wise) in the room is Isaiah Pead, who may be most talented RB on the roster and who appeared to be getting his head screwed on right before a pre-season injury ended his 2014 campaign.

I get the ability argument, my argument was that Stacy still made more yards on the ground than the other 'more talented' guys, sometimes the best guy for the team isn't the most talented, if you know what I mean. And I know the argument that Mason can turn out an 80+ yard run to the house and Stacy can't, but he's still had more 100yard games (4) than Mason (2)

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
I don't get the Pead love either... In 3yrs he has shown nothing but that he can pass protect, he's VERY indecisive, and i think he averages a fumble Once every other game if he touches the ball.
Then why is he still on the team? Anyone know what Pead's cap hit is this year? The fact that he's still on the team says alot about his ability. Before he went down, I believe he had won the kick off job but hadn't really found a place on the offense.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I get the ability argument, my argument was that Stacy still made more yards on the ground than the other 'more talented' guys, sometimes the best guy for the team isn't the most talented, if you know what I mean. And I know the argument that Mason can turn out an 80+ yard run to the house and Stacy can't, but he's still had more 100yard games (4) than Mason (2)

Probably because Stacy got more carries per game than anyone in the NFL that season. If he had played all 16 games at that rate he would have had like 350 carries. If Mason got that many carries he'd have that many 100 yard games easy