Fisher discussion that no one is talking about.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If I recall correctly, Fisher signed a 5 year contract when we hired him. This is year 4. After this year, do we give him an extension? If not, then he's a lame duck coach, and FA's won't want to sign with us. It's a very interesting topic, because Kroenke supposedly holds him in high regard, and Fisher has experience relocating a team, if that's part of the plan. Now that we finally have a winning record, and might possibly make the playoffs even, that helps his case as well.
What would you do after this season is over?

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Well seeing that Fisher/Snead/Demoff have totally rebuilt this franchise from the ground up, he would be a fool to abandon his plan now. When we look at the idea of this team moving to LA, they will need to be winners.... If they stay in St Louis he wants them to be winners. So regardless of what the outcome of the possible relocation is, Kroenke will want a winner. He has invested a lot of money into this coaching staff and in the scout teams in order to build a winner. Why change course now? Winning raising the bottom line in everyway possible for this franchise and Kroenke loves money. (me too, just don't have much!)

A55VA6

Legend
I believe he is under contract next year as well, but I'd say regardless if the Rams stay in STL or move to LA, I'd give him a 3 year extension and tell him to go put a winning team on the football field.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Kroenke seems to be a patient man. Unless the team totally tanks I think Fisher gets more time.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Snead for sure is going NOWHERE with his staff. Not perfect or even close to it yet LIGHT YEARS ahead of what we have had going back to L.A. Fisher in my personal opinion may even be surprised at the level of play from THIS YEARS "D" along with the DREAM pick of TODD GURLEYII paying off so early with the BEST yet to come in 2016 as this kid will be fully healed and had time to do the other things he missed sitting out ALL of pre-season and more.

The NEEDS are FINALLY getting very low and we have Many players in depth and also on the practice squad that have a very ,very good future ahead on this team. The talent level has not been this high since Coach Fisher got here. The team actually has many Pro Bowl level players on its "D" and one on its "O".

Now I arrive at the CRUX of Everything with Keeping Fisher. Does Fisher know anything about putting an NFL type OFFENSE WITH ACTUAL PASSING ON THE FIELD? He has never had real success at this and without the Music City Miracle he Never would have sniffed a Super Bowl.

Fishers influence on his Offensive Coordinators is just wrong and WAY OVER Cautious. The RAMS need a Real QB and WR's that can get seperation and can't have the fewest targets of ALL wr's in the NFL. Rythym must be established before we know how bad our situation is. The lack of passing in the middle of the field and why its so obvious? Is that a Fisher led plan? Just like the OL was finally seriously addressed in the draft (4TH YEAR) it seems going back for more Wide Recievers and Tight Ends WILL BE FORCED in the future plans. Why has Stedman Bailey dissapeared as has Quick and Britt, and Cook and his overpaid FA signing has yet to pay off. Can Fisher coach an NFL Passing Offense ???

I'm personally in favor of an Offensive Coordinator with known Passing skills and past success and Fisher leaving him to His job, as he stays away from Coach Williams and his Defense. Williams would kick him out of his meeting room. I'm not a Fisher hater at all. Players coaches are fine. We just need one that knows something about offense in this GENERATION. We have a (passing) Cignetti Coordinator and a (Running) Boras Coordinator and maybe Fisher overlooking all they do. TOO MANY COOKS IN THE KITCHEN. Coach Sherman has no excuse for what product he is putting on the Field along with Weinke's First year as a QB coach. The OL is young and slowly improving but the passing offense is actually regressing from its already low level. Where we go from here may effect if Fishers ability to get things corrected or watch things go south and see if HIS SEAT GETS HOT.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
there's also the experience factor of Fisher having gone through a franchise relocation. winning or losing Kroenke may what him around for that reason too if that happens

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
elmer-fudd-1.jpg

pgWliWP.gif

jjab360

Legend
If I recall correctly, Fisher signed a 5 year contract when we hired him. This is year 4. After this year, do we give him an extension? If not, then he's a lame duck coach, and FA's won't want to sign with us. It's a very interesting topic, because Kroenke supposedly holds him in high regard, and Fisher has experience relocating a team, if that's part of the plan. Now that we finally have a winning record, and might possibly make the playoffs even, that helps his case as well.
What would you do after this season is over?
If we make the playoffs, I think he absolutely gets a long term extension. If not, depending on how we close the season maybe a short term extension to avoid that "lame duck coach" stigma. If we don't close well at all (6-10 or worse somehow), we probably move on.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sign him for another five, I want to see him take us to five super bowls!!

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Going to get hate here, but I said it in another thread....year 5 is to prove his consistency if they make the playoffs this year. I don't extend for 1 winning season or 1 playoff appearance. Cavat being a deep playoff run (Conf champ game or SB). I understand the concern over a lame duck year, but what happens if you extend based upon say just making the playoffs (say they get WC game and lose it, so 1 and done). You give him 3 yr ext. and next year (what would have been year 5 of the contract) the team drops back to a 8-8 or worse?

In theory you really wanted him to make playoffs last year (or be on edge of it) and this year would be the consistency proof...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If the Rams win 9 or more games i give Fish a 3 year extension next February. If not i ride it out in 2016, lame duck or not. No more .500 seasons. It's time for concrete results and wildcard/playoff football.
Either way i'm giving him 5 years.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Snead for sure is going NOWHERE with his staff. Not perfect or even close to it yet LIGHT YEARS ahead of what we have had going back to L.A.
To be fair, I think Vermiel/Charlie Army was at least just as good at rebuilding the organization

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
If the Rams win 9 or more games i give Fish a 3 year extension next February. If not i ride it out in 2016, lame duck or not. No more .500 seasons. It's time for concrete results and wildcard/playoff football.
Either way i'm giving him 5 years.

So you give a coach with no playoff appearances (while here), assuming that 9 wins will not get you a WC spot this year, an extension? So what happens if he misses the playoffs next year also? Now you have a coach that hasn't made the playoffs for 5 years and 2 years left on the contract. I realize we don't pay the salary, but do you expect management eat the last 2 years of the deal? If he hasn't made the playoffs this year or next do you really still want him as your coach?

note I worry this reads aggressive - please take it as discussion only.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The franchises that are historically successful don't chop and change coaches. The Steelers, Pats (cheating aside), Packers and even the Giants for example. Their current head coaches have been in place for years and all have won superbowls in the last 10 years or so. On the flip side, the perennially rubbish teams will constantly hamstring themselves by changing head coaches (and therefore schemes as well) every year or two.

As it stands, we have a regime in place that has built the current roster basically from scratch. I was listening to the Around the NFL podcast and they said that the Rams and Packers are top two for number of drafted players on the roster (not sure if Rams are first or second, just that these are the top two). What this tells me is that these guys know what they're doing when it comes to drafting talent. Fisher is an integral part of that.

Its taken him some time but we now appear to have a team that can challenge for the division title this year (the Cards record is inflated thanks to their schedule so far) and even more so next season. In my view, he needs to be extended so that he can see the job through and give us a chance of joining those teams that I listed at the top of this post.

I'd like to see an improved passing game like everyone else and Fisher understands that he can't expect his O to be successful if we only run the ball without the threat of a pass. People say he's coaching in the 80s but he knows he can't succeed without a better passing game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The franchises that are historically successful don't chop and change coaches. The Steelers, Pats (cheating aside), Packers and even the Giants for example. Their current head coaches have been in place for years and all have won superbowls in the last 10 years or so. On the flip side, the perennially rubbish teams will constantly hamstring themselves by changing head coaches (and therefore schemes as well) every year or two.

As it stands, we have a regime in place that has built the current roster basically from scratch. I was listening to the Around the NFL podcast and they said that the Rams and Packers are top two for number of drafted players on the roster (not sure if Rams are first or second, just that these are the top two). What this tells me is that these guys know what they're doing when it comes to drafting talent. Fisher is an integral part of that.

Its taken him some time but we now appear to have a team that can challenge for the division title this year (the Cards record is inflated thanks to their schedule so far) and even more so next season. In my view, he needs to be extended so that he can see the job through and give us a chance of joining those teams that I listed at the top of this post.

I'd like to see an improved passing game like everyone else and Fisher understands that he can't expect his O to be successful if we only run the ball without the threat of a pass. People say he's coaching in the 80s but he knows he can't succeed without a better passing game.
Add Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, and i agree. Build a program.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

The trouble with the above examples is that it would be more correlation than causation....are they successful because they don't change coaches often, or do they not change coaches because they are successful?

The pats for example prior to Bilacheat had 4 coaches during the 90's.

I agree that Cin. is a good example of sticking with a coach and it working out (though nothing past the 1st round...), that though had a very public change of direction by the coach/management - probably close to what happened with the Rams in 99....I am not sure I see JF willing to change that drastically

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Extend at LEAST two years. When I watch/read about Cleveland, Detroit, Niners, Titans, Jags, Texans etc, I thank our lucky stars we have the entire management we do.
Sometimes you don't know what you have till it's gone.