Examining where James Laurinaitis fits in Rams' 2016 plans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Examining where James Laurinaitis fits in Rams' 2016 plans
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ere-james-laurinaitis-fits-in-rams-2016-plans

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- We're moving closer to the start of the new league year and, along with it, the start of free agency. Which means over the next few weeks, the Los Angeles Rams will be taking a long look at the players already on the roster and determining whether they're worth their projected salary-cap numbers.

Some teams have already begun the process of releasing high-priced veterans to create salary-cap room. So this week, we'll take a look at some players who will come under the microscope for the Rams.

Player: LB James Laurinaitis

Contract status: Signed through 2017.

2016 cap hit: $6,425,000

Potential savings: $5,525,000

Why he could go: Laurinaitis will turn 30 during the 2016 NFL season and though that's not all that old, he has a lot of mileage on his NFL odometer. He played the highest percentage of snaps among defenders in 2015 and he's played more than 99 percent of defensive snaps in each of his seven seasons. That durability is a plus but it also means he's been through a lot physically. Along with that, his production has dipped with his total tackles dropping in each of the past three years. The emergence of linebackers Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron has contributed to that and so, too, have some injury issues that Laurinaitis has played through. In addition, Laurinaitis is due to count almost $6.5 million against the salary cap while the Rams would like to re-sign Barron and find a spot to keep him on the field on a regular basis. That means one potential solution could include bumping Ogletree inside and allowing Barron to stay in Ogletree's spot outside. The time will come soon, even if it's not this year, when the Rams will have to begin planning for life after Laurinaitis.

Why he could stay: Laurinaitis is the guy that makes it all go for the Rams on defense. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams considers Laurinaitis an extension of himself on the field, the player who gets everybody lined up right and puts them in position to make plays. His knowledge of the defense as well as opposing offenses is a valuable asset to a young defense with many players still trying to find their way in the league. Even if the Rams wanted to move Ogletree to the middle, there's no guarantee he'd be ready for such responsibilities. Laurinaitis also remains a sure tackler (despite a serious elbow injury in 2015) and one of the team's primary leaders in the locker room. Since Laurinaitis entered the league in 2009, he is the only player in the NFL with 15 or more sacks and 10 or more interceptions. His durability also makes him someone who can be counted on, as he's started 112 straight games and is the franchise's all-time leading tackler. If the Rams find themselves in need of cap space, Laurinaitis would likely be open to a pay cut that would decrease his cap number this year and spread out his guaranteed money over a couple of years. On a team that has plenty of key defensive free agents and still must fix its offense, parting with Laurinaitis would just create another hole to be filled.

fearsomefour

Legend
Laurinaitis is not going anywhere this year.
We may see some sets where he is on the field less if Barron is brought back.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
It seems like Lauranatis is doing an interview about the rams moving to LA once a week, which brings up two interesting scenarios.

1. Rams put him out their as the trusted Veteran leader of the team who they trust to send the right introductory message to LA.
2. His agent is putting him out there as much as possible as the rams leader engendering him to the LA community as a pre-emptive strike to any attempt to cut him.

I think the first scenario is more likely, but you never know.

Additionally Ogletree moving to MLB this off season or the next brings up another interesting discussion. Ogletree played MLB in a 3-4 coming out of college and while his stack and shed skills have improved I am not sure if they improved to the level where he can be an extremely productive full-time MLB. He is also going into year 4 of this system, but has never excelled in the mental aspect of playing LB where JL has been really good, so is ready to take over that aspect? You could possibly begin that transition this year by moving JL to the strongside so he can assist Ogletree making those calls for a year, keep Barron on the weakside, and give Ayers more pass rushing snaps

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Going forward with JL & his cost of a near 15 million for the 2016/2017 seasons would indicate to me a weak & UNWISE Ram team Management.:palm:

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This is the year to draft and groom JL's replacement. We need somebody that can handle all the stuff he does on D. His cap hit of 6.5 mil is not ideal, but not prohibitive considering we have no obvious replacement on the roster.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He might be slightly overpaid at 6 million, but we are not talking Chris Long overpaid here. Let's keep him this season and not have another hole to fill.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is not the year to send JL packing. We would need to see someone step up to that roll first. Maybe Hager has some potential? We may see the Rams go that direction early in the draft or we may see them hold pat with JL looking to restructure in '17. IMO going forward WITHOUT JL would indicate an unwise Rams management. What are you going to get for his $6 million roster spot?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They need to find a replacement and get things in motion so the new guy is ready to completely run the show in 2017. I hope that guys is out there.

Ram65

Legend
I don't see a replacement on the roster yet. It's time to find one. JL is polarizing around here. I like the guy from ND.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We would need to see someone step up to that roll first.
78ePiGT.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He fits out the plans. Overrated and overpayed
I wouldn't say he's overrated, because I don't think anyone here is saying he's indispensable. Overpaid, sure. Based on his production in comparison to his peers and the league average salary for top tier talent. But not really overrated. Saying he's dependable, smart, and integral to calling plays and making adjustments in Williams' defense doesn't mean he's overrated.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is not the year to send JL packing. We would need to see someone step up to that roll first. Maybe Hager has some potential? We may see the Rams go that direction early in the draft or we may see them hold pat with JL looking to restructure in '17. IMO going forward WITHOUT JL would indicate an unwise Rams management. What are you going to get for his $6 million roster spot?
Tullock?
A WR?
JL isn't going anywhere this year at least. He may not make a bunch of flashy plays and may not shed blockers as well as we would like, but, running the D is no small thing to a DC.
While there is more to look at with JL than just his impressive tackle numbers, there is more to a MLB than looking just at tackles for loss.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I like JL - another of my Ram Marshalls on and off the field - I also liked the Hager pickup last year, thought he could be the guy that they've brought in to replace JL - when the time is right.

But as many of you've said - JL is solid, dependable, smart AND durable. As I said in another thread he's similar to Chris Long, brings a lot more to the playing field than just his own playing ability. Seems to be able to make others around him better - JL is like our defensive QB and this ISN'T the year to cut the guy. He was the 6th rated MLB in the whole league and the 21st rated out of all the ILBs, OLBs and MLBs in the whole league - we'd be fools to cut him. Again he's another guy that deserves to retire a Ram - but I'm sure if you DID cut him, he'd bleed blue and gold ;)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
parting with Laurinaitis would just create another hole to be filled.
This is all we need to remember, when you start thinking about getting rid of JL!! We do not have a replacement for him. we do need a good back-up for him!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ton of great stuff here, while I tend to run heavy to one side of the argument there is a ton to like about what JL has done as a Ram here in his 6 yrs. The fact that JL is top of the NFL in True NFL Class Act can not be taken so lightly by me. The total opposite of what we saw from the Classless Act Bengals Vontaze Burfict.

Elements that come into play here for me would be:
#1-The overall high amount of Rams of Free Agents.
#2-The fact that 10 FA's were starters & UFA's.
#3-The fact that #1 & #2 above come into play with JL due to the high amount of cap that is contracted to be paid to JL in the next two seasons (near 15 Mil).
#4-The main 2015 LB'er who had the biggest impact on the field is a UFA.
#5-The best Ram Lb'er under contract suffered a broken leg and will be a UFA next season at this time so .
#6- Fisher has had a solid veteran back up to JL in Jo Dunbar since his arrival, However at this time he has two 2 MLB'er under contract Hager (7th rd'er) & Lynch(UDFA) both were rookies in 2015.

If I could draw up :thinking:in my Ram dream :love: world the ideal way for this to go would be for JL to restructure his final two yrs of his contract. This restructure would have to be low enough to assist the Rams cap to secure both 2016 UFA Mark Barron @ WSLB & sign 2017 UFA Alex Ogletree SSLB'er so both can be here for the 2016 & 2017 seasons. Thus providing JL the much needed talent beside him. These two outside LB'ers should enable JL to get off the field so he can remain fresher. Then the Rams can develop a much needed MLB'er prospect who JL can school as his eventual replacement.:yess:

What would the chances that my dream plan comes true.....doubtful.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think it's important to note that in a Fisher/Ryan/Williams defense, MLB ranks fairly low on the list - just by philosophy. It all revolves around an athletic and strong front 4, great safeties, a thumper WIL, and a super athletic SAM. Corners and ILB are just beneficiaries (or are supposed to be) of the pressure generated by the front 4. That's why we took a dip in production once our all-pro QB-assassin Robert Quinn was sidelined. That said, the defense would obviously be improved significantly if we *also* had an all-pro caliber MLB.

Last edited: