Earnest Jones shooting the gap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I had read somewhere (can't remember, so no link) that the Rams wanted to invest in improving the team through free agency and the draft this year and wouldn't have had the cap- space available, and that was why they hadn't looked at extending Jones.
Nothing at all about replacing him or not looking to lock him up after the season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had read somewhere (can't remember, so no link) that the Rams wanted to invest in improving the team through free agency and the draft this year and wouldn't have had the cap- space available, and that was why they hadn't looked at extending Jones.
Nothing at all about replacing him or not looking to lock him up after the season.
Nah Snead has straight up said they've had early talks on an extension but they usually don't do these kind of deals prior to camp or the start of the new season. As today is the first day of OTA's camp hasn't opened yet so a deal before the actual start of camp which I guess you could call June 10th which is the first day of mandatory mini camp would be about as early as we see a deal.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Sounds right. My memory of it was that they'd spoken about it but weren't ready to make a move at the time.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I love me some Ernest but I get really concerned if he ever gets injured. I mean he's like the only true, viable ILB that we have, imo.
Really starting to think we need to take a good hard look at Edgerrin Cooper in the 2nd round. He and Jones would be an excellent pair on the inside for years, hopefully.

~ArkyRamsFan~

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Ernest Jones: With Aaron Donald retired, it’s time for others to make names for themselves​

The Rams will have a very different look on defense this season.

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald has retired, which leaves the Rams without one of the most imposing players in recent history as they prepare to try for another playoff berth in 2024. There won’t be anyone sliding seamlessly into the role that Donald played in Los Angeles, but linebacker Ernest Jones is one of the players who is looking at the change as an opportunity for himself.

In a press conference on Monday, Jones said he is relishing the chance to take on a bigger leadership role and he thinks others on the team will be in the same position as things unfold over the coming months.

“From the moment I got here, this was a goal of mine, to be the leader of this defense,” Jones said, via Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times. “With [Donald] being gone, now there’s more eyes on me, which I can sure handle. . . . Without A.D., we get to go out there, and now it’s time for those guys to make a name for themselves.”

Jones became a starter on the way to winning the Super Bowl as a rookie and he’s coming off a strong third season, so there’s also thoughts of a second contract to serve as motivation for him to show that he can keep the Rams defense from slipping too much without Donald in the center of the action.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm thinking that besides a premier edge guy like Latu. we need another good ILB or two to shore up what we're missing. The defense will look and operate differently without AD, but I think with the right picks, this team can make a run.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm thinking that besides a premier edge guy like Latu. we need another good ILB or two to shore up what we're missing. The defense will look and operate differently without AD, but I think with the right picks, this team can make a run.
Not to mention ilb's are usually good ST guys

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
We haven't had a great ILB since Fletcher, and arguably Lauranitis, (Wagner's rental doesn't count lol) so here's hoping we find someone.
EJ has been one of the best we've had for a while, so E.Cooper would be a great pick. Paired w/ Latu & the conductor in the middle, and I think we'd have a nice D.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Wouldnt be surprised if he wanted to test FA. There was just a big LB contract that his agent must be salivating over.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
My concern with Cooper is he’s a bit light in the pants at 230. I’d prefer a bigger MLB.
Maybe that weight isn’t accurate and he’s much bigger than that now idk.

Also, I just read his weaknesses as per Walter Football: coverage and he has make up concerns (ego, bad attitude). The latter stuff does not seem to be a fit with the Rams philosophy.

dang

Legend
My concern with Cooper is he’s a bit light in the pants at 230. I’d prefer a bigger MLB.
Maybe that weight isn’t accurate and he’s much bigger than that now idk.

Also, I just read his weaknesses as per Walter Football: coverage and he has make up concerns (ego, bad attitude). The latter stuff does not seem to be a fit with the Rams philosophy.
E Cooper is 6.3 230.
Guess who else is 6.3 230? Fred Warner.