Early Predictions for Rams' 2015 Training Camp Battles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Agree with everything Coach but this...For some reason, I like McGee....Think he handled himself well vs. Cinnci..or was that the Bears? Bunch of PI's...but I see a player...

McGee runs well, but doesn't do much else. His biggest contribution has to be on Special Teams. As much as I didn't think I would ever say this, Roberson actually has more upside than McGee IMO. He is definitely better in coverage, and once he decides he will actually tackle someone, he can be a decent CB in this league.

McGee has been a disappointment to this staff. I know they liked him at one point, but I think he has been over taken with the addition of guys like Joyner, and Roberson.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm quite looking forward to seeing the backup QB battle develop. Has Mannion got a shot at displacing AD?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Roberson actually has more upside than McGee IMO. He is definitely better in coverage, and once he decides he will actually tackle someone, he can be a decent CB in this league.
Well, I really like Roberson too, much more than McGee...He can actually cover...Don't they keep 10 DB's? The jury, IMO, is still out on Joyner...I thought he looked like McGee out there...PI's, but without the speed...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
McGee runs well, but doesn't do much else. His biggest contribution has to be on Special Teams. As much as I didn't think I would ever say this, Roberson actually has more upside than McGee IMO. He is definitely better in coverage, and once he decides he will actually tackle someone, he can be a decent CB in this league.

McGee has been a disappointment to this staff. I know they liked him at one point, but I think he has been over taken with the addition of guys like Joyner, and Roberson.

If I were to find something more positive to add here about McGee is if he can stay healthy (very big question here) the best that I have seen him in on field action is on Special Teams is at Gunner. That has some value here but since he has showm zero ability to play in the special defenses ......is does look bleak. This new CB UDFA Imoan Claiborne has something to add to this defense that McGee does not.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If I were to find something more positive to add here about McGee is if he can stay healthy (very big question here) the best that I have seen him in on field action is on Special Teams is at Gunner. That has some value here but since he has showm zero ability to play in the special defenses ......is does look bleak. This new CB UDFA Imoan Claiborne has something to add to this defense that McGee does not.
While I admit to not knowing much about the UDFA's at this point (waiting to see them in camp), I think it is gonna be tough for them to earn a roster spot. I understand there are always guys who come out of nowhere, but I just think there are too many guys who have been here, and this roster is deeper than it has been in years.

Especially in the secondary. Assuming they keep 5 CBs (Jenkins, Johnson, Gaines, Joyner) all seem to be locks. Then it will come down to Roberson, McGee, Claiborne, etc. to win the last job. It all depends on how many they plan on keeping, and how the other "back end" roster spots shake out when filling out the Special Teams.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Well, I really like Roberson too, much more than McGee...He can actually cover...Don't they keep 10 DB's? The jury, IMO, is still out on Joyner...I thought he looked like McGee out there...PI's, but without the speed...
They have kept 10 DB's in the past, but I think they are more inclined to keep 5 CBs and 5 Safeties.

That leaves you with something along the lines of:

CB- Jenkins, Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson/McGee
S - McDonald, McLeod, Barron, Alexander, C.Davis/Bryant

Unless one of the UDFA's come out of nowhere and beat out one of the incumbents, I don't see much deviation from this group.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They have kpet 10 DB's in the past, but I think they are more inclined to keep 5 CBs and 5 Safeties.

Unless one of the UDFA's come out of nowhere and beat out one of the incumbents, I don't see much deviation from this group.

I know you've posted this in the past and IMO this is the year when you and me and Brandon McGee gets cut because to make the club you can't be in the tub.

IMO I'm going to concur with @Memento and go on record that UDRFA CB Imoan Claiborne unseats McGee although McGee is a great gunner on special teams, but has been injured every year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
One of the things I am most interested in seeing once training camp starts, is how they intend on using certain players. Guys like Barron, McDonald, Joyner, Fairley on defense. Does Alexander get more of an opportunity to compete for a primary backup SS role.

Do they utilize Austin on the outside more, or focus on him being THE GUY in the slot? How does Kendricks fit in this offense? Harkey?

As much as the individual positional "battles" will be intriguing, I think seeing how these roles develop moving forward could be just as telling.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I know you've posted this in the past and IMO this is the year when you and me and Brandon McGee gets cut because to make the club you can't be in the tub.

IMO I'm going to concur with @Memento and go on record that UDRFA CB Imoan Claiborne unseats McGee although McGee is a great gunner on special teams, but has been injured every year.
I think Claiborne has more than just McGee to "unseat".

I kind of see this being similar to last year with Greg Reid. He was the message board "fan favorite" to be the guy to surprise everyone and win a job. I just think the odds are stacked against someone like Claiborne because of guys like Roberson, Joyner, C. Bryant, all having a year under their belt, and being very well liked by this coaching staff.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He comes from a small school and his level of competition wasn't that high but his measurables were comparable to Havenstein's and he's coming to a scheme that fits him perfectly so yeah, who knows. At the very least he might provide good depth and great competition in TC and the preseason. Let the best refrigerator win!

With all my speculation going on here.....& that's all I can do ....I look at the surrounding situation still to shake out here in this new Boudreau refurbished OL.

The rookie 6-6 315 pound Cody Wichmann's pre draft analysis was not all that positive. Clearly they penciled primary Right OG candidate in the NFL. CW as a However IF CW was ever to get a opportunity to earn a living in the NFL its here!

CW has some luck breaking his way here in being selected by Snead:
#1- Boudreau's power-blocking scheme is built for a OL'er like him.
#2-Last years starting ORG has been evicted.
#3-Last yrs starting ORT wanted to move to a upscale neighborhood & refused to resign his lease. Thus those other newly arriving rookies will be involved in a battle in that area too.
#4-Last yrs good starting OLG had reconstructive surgery early this year on a well worn & damaged left shoulder. Thus he will not be involved early in TC & maybe even pre season.

So #2,#3 & #4 offers CW the good possibility that Boudreau will force feed some new OLG/ORT action for him. CW must realize he faces a very steep climb here in TC & pre season to prove his versatility in order to make this 53 master roster. If CW fails in this then the only really other way here is to dominate his competition @ this ORG post. Bottom line here with three openings CW chances through hard heavy work might make this team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
C. Bryant, all having a year under their belt, and being very well liked by this coaching staff.

I know you're high on Christian Bryant and when it comes to Bryant a quote from Dick Cheney (not that I'm a fan of Cheney) comes to mind... I watched every Ohio State Buckeye game since 1988 and quite frankly I don't remember Christian Bryant.

Now I recall Meyer's speech about Bryant, but as far as making plays I just don't recall much. He was injured all of last season and the Rams knew that was going to be the case so let's see what he has because I'm not as high on Bryant as some.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
[QUOTE="CoachO, post: 565954, member: 554" C. Bryant, all having a year under their belt, and being very well liked by this coaching staff.

I know you're high on Christian Bryant and when it comes to Bryant a quote from Dick Cheney (not that I'm a fan of Cheney) comes to mind... I watched every Ohio State Buckeye game since 1988 and quite frankly I don't remember Christian Bryant.

Now I recall Meyer's speech about Bryant, but as far as making plays I just don't recall much. He was injured all of last season and the Rams knew that was going to be the case so let's see what he has because I'm not as high on Bryant as some.
He was injured coming into training camp, and they kept him around on the PS throughout the year. I see that as a "red-shirt" year that was planned from the outset. That they kept him here, says to me, they like him enough to see what they have.

He is one of the players I have liked in the little bit I saw of him in camp last year. And that was with him not 100%. He just has that "look" of a football player. We shall see how it shakes out. All I have said, is don't overlook this kid. He could end up being a sleeper.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam thinking If You Can't Make It Here, You Can't Make It Anywhere:
IF CW was ever to get a opportunity to earn a living in the NFL its here!

CW has some luck breaking his way here in being selected by Snead:
#1- Boudreau's power-blocking scheme is built for a OL'er like him.
#2-Last years starting ORG has been evicted.
#3-Last yrs starting ORT wanted to move to a upscale neighborhood & refused to resign his lease. Thus those other newly arriving rookies will be involved in a battle in that area too.
#4-Last yrs good starting OLG had reconstructive surgery early this year on a well worn & damaged left shoulder. Thus he will not be involved early in TC & maybe even pre season.

So #2,#3 & #4 offers CW the good possibility that Boudreau will force feed some new OLG/ORT action for him.
Good analysis of the facts on the ground Bonifay.

There's no doubt the Rams situation gives CW the best chance to succeed. That's why I put some credence into @LACHAMP46 's contention that CW might win a starting job. However, I don't, at this point with my limited knowledge about him, think he has the talent to be a starting RG on most, if not all, the other NFL teams.

As we've (the ROD) already had a discussion about how I think the O-line's success is more a "sum of its parts" question than the individual players skill would merit (for better or for worse) I won't belabor that contention now but if he's one of our starters going into the season you can color be worried. We'll see.

I do take issue with your thought that Boo will try and "force feed" him into any of the open slots though. After having backed ourselves (I don't think Boo should shoulder much of the blame for that) into this situation in the first place, I think Boo's job will be to make the best of the situation. That might mean we have players who aren't deserving of a starting position on the line starting but I'm hopeful that he will at least tell Fisher who would be the best option available.

I say that even though I don't think we started the the best players we had on the line last year. I don't think any of our positional coaches have very much input into who's going to be our starters much less determining the priority of the needs of the team. I can't believe that any O-line coach would have been happy with the starters or the depth in our line for most of the last decade. I'm not a fan of Boo like most of my fellow RODites are but I can't blame him for being forced into trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't know why they wouldn't move him. He's the best free safety on the roster right now, and he's too talented to sit every game (which he will if he stays at cornerback; he's not going on the outside, and he's certainly not beating out Gaines for the nickel job.)

I really, really hope that they change their tune because I'm going to be very upset if they keep McLeod at free safety, just to see him and Jenkins blow another coverage.

I think your wrong about your essesment about CB(trade :-( ) Yiu can never have enough quality CB.

Safety ?? Joyner was brought in to play nickle,& penciled in as the starter day 1. He got injuried & benched at end of season. He started last game & said the lights finally came on & trusted coach.
--Mo & Barron are going to play FS spot,it's developing players.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They have kept 10 DB's in the past, but I think they are more inclined to keep 5 CBs and 5 Safeties.

Or do they keep 6 CBs knowing Johnson and Jenkins are FA in 2016. Then again, Barron and McLeod are too.

Personally; I am more interested in signing Johnson and Barron out of that group.

Something about Jenkins turns me off and Alexander has been a no-show.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think your wrong about your essesment about CB(trade :-( ) Yiu can never have enough quality CB.

Safety ?? Joyner was brought in to play nickle,& penciled in as the starter day 1. He got injuried & benched at end of season. He started last game & said the lights finally came on & trusted coach.

True, but we have a lot of quality cornerbacks.

Barron and Alexander are strictly strong safeties/hybrid linebackers. If anyone's going to be playing free safety other than Joyner/McLeod, it's probably T.J. McDonald, who is also a much better strong safety than a free safety. Bryant? More of a strong safety in the mold of McLeod. Davis? A backup. Claiborne? A backup. Hagen? Also a backup.

Joyner may have been brought in to play cornerback, but he fits better at free safety than anyone else we have, and he tackles and covers so much better than McLeod (if you don't believe me, just look at the missed tackle thread on this site. McLeod's stats aren't pretty.)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Or do they keep 6 CBs knowing Johnson and Jenkins are FA in 2016. Then again, Barron and McLeod are too.

Personally; I am more interested in signing Johnson and Barron out of that group.

Something about Jenkins turns me off and Alexander has been a no-show.
When you get down to the #6 CB compared to the #5 Safety IMO you are forcing the issue for position sake and settling on a less talented player.

We are most likely talking about keeping a McGee or Claiborne over a guy like C. Davis or Alexander or Bryant. And I just think those guys add more depth and have more Special Team value at this point.

Alan

Legend
So Ram with rose colored glasses:
I don't know about MO but if you believe @Mackeyser 's analysis (I do) then he doesn't have that skill set.

As for Barron, the reason why we were able to get a 1st round pick for the low low cost of a 4th and 6th rounder was because of his inability to play outside of the box. SS and situational pass rusher is his forte IMO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think our entire secondary is still a work in progress.

Yeah, we've got bodies everywhere, but it looks to be far from a finished product to me.

For example...

Memento raises a good point about that missed tackle thread. Jenkins, McLeod, and Gaines were disappointing in that area. At least Gaines has a bit of an excuse in that he was a rookie thrown unexpectedly into the fire. Highlight film hits by Jenkins and McLeod are fun to watch, but I prefer the solid tackle, frankly.

Then there's the tendency of Jenkins and McLeod to have "missed communication" issues that result in huge gainers if not TD's. Playoff caliber teams don't put up with that crap.

Then we have to consider that Johnson, Jenkins, McLeod, and Barron are all in their final contract year. Somebody in our FO better have a plan(s) for '16 and beyond.

Last, but by no means least, I've read articles excoriating our secondary in terms of percentage of passes completed against. Lots of room for improvement there, too.

Like I said, our secondary looks like a work in progress to me. Gonna be interesting to see how GW and Fisher sort this all out.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All the more reason for someone like Christian Bryant to break through.

The guy's got a GOLDEN opportunity. I hope he takes advantage of it because if he becomes what I saw of him and what his coaches at OSU knew he was to that team, then even as a rookie, he checks off a lot of boxes for us...