DTR Draft Profile: Dorance Armstrong Jr., EDGE, Kansas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

February 10, 2018 | By :Jake Ellenbogen
YO3UHqOrOZGAbCqW6s2YIaoqRlkxMXlp6zkWnchywvQS4ifYVk74KM8iND_hXZ2eqQctWxkYh7ugmFcu4vZtAdX0S1Y0vUuZLKo6eIjgywkOWhx2-bguVwShSkPdMBMqnLyZ_3cXD6tGlPg9DMYiPZ8wl1kJ2ZNpUksfbwMtCXprCHLInnV1ImffmiwhTAi57pFh0InIr1-ATYmdCAr4jqlFqNkInF642QzDYjJoP-8hU1IwVbs=w5000-h5000

Who is the 6-foot-4 and 246 pound EDGE Dorance Armstrong Jr.?

He is one of the unique pass rushers in this draft class. Armstrong Jr. possesses tons of upside and a pretty high floor at the next level. He's freaky athletic and is built the exact way you want an edge rusher to look. He's got long arms, great quickness and an explosive first step. He's another high motor monster that will chase down and truly fight for the sack on the QB. It's even more impressive when you put context behind what he is doing during that play. You might see on the scoreboard ticker below his game film, he's in the fourth quarter and his team is down by more than 30 points and you won't notice that mindset as Armstrong is still fighting every play to produce for his team. That is a quality that you can say, no everyone has.

Strengths

Armstrong Jr. really has the mold of a potential star sack artist at the next level. He has the ability to play with his hand in the dirt or as a stand-up pass rusher as he did both at Kansas. He's one of the quicker and more powerful edge defenders in the class and as mentioned before his motor doesn't run out as he is trying to chase down a QB for the sack. He's an extremely talented run defender that will be a boost to any team instantly that he ends up with. His short-area burst and his bend around the edge makes him a threat for any defense. There is an argument to be made with Armstrong Jr.'s dynamic athleticism and 2016 production that he has elite level potential and if he goes to the right place he could have a coaching staff that hones in on his pass rushing maneuvers and makes him virtually unstoppable.

Weaknesses

The issue with Armstrong Jr. is that he has an arsenal of pass rushing moves, but he doesn't always stay consistent with using all of them. He can go with a speed rush or a bull rush more often than not despite the fact he has shown that he has a rip move and a spin move that he neglects to use even when necessary. He could use some more weight and upper body strength to help him disengage from blockers. He's going to need to improve on his play recognition due to the fact he falls for the ball-fake often. He had a serious production drop-off in 2017 and even though he played on a bad team, it's still something to be wary of.

How does he fit with the Rams?

Armstrong Jr. fits tremendously well with the Rams. He has huge upside and the interesting thing is that his Head coach David Beaty actually recruited Von Miller back when he was the Head of Recruiting at Texas A&M. There was an article on ESPN that suggested he could be the next Von Miller and of course Wade Phillips, the Rams Defensive coordinator coached him. Will he be the next Miller? Who knows? The Rams though, do not need him to be the greatest pass rusher in the league but they do need to get better at defending the run and Armstrong Jr. will instantly help with that. If the Rams take Armstrong Jr., it will likely be in the 1st round or the early 2nd after a trade down. So, with that being said if they take him they clearly don't view Samson Ebukam as the long-term answer or they don't see Robert Quinn sticking around much longer. Still, though, this is someone that has elite potential, has starting NFL pass rushing ability and is a stout run defender. There is definitely a fit for the Kansas prospect in Los Angeles.

Draft Grade

Rounds 1 - 3

Player comparison

Leonard Little

0TCOs8_NCO0Tpe1jXEmPT-LwDOkM1Fgby4RSVislzGTkvh6rAZUZxCcOXCaEDqFAsAiHfkN0iftWtVtfrLckIwFvRUNBA7MfFSXDXYEyQ1ho4qpTbRErcAuWSuzd4q45I05gOGbQg8jfOrqo10xteSE4TEX0XEx8bydJM9IEqJE1CQvku7IJBK8WUAb1pRO4W664xwQ83VrPHL3z3CdFvjy16hEF19SI9b0CwnDvK7icUSqxBTy8lcue=w5000-h5000

The Rams all-time leader in sacks (since we don't count the guy that came up with the term sack for some reason) Leonard Little is the best comparison in my mind for Armstrong Jr. Like Little, Armstrong Jr., has that motor, the bend and explosive first step on the edge. Little played with his hand in the dirt but Armstrong Jr., did most often in college as well. The two both have that athleticism that stands out to you on film instantly. Little was one of the more underrated pass rushers in the history of the league and Armstrong Jr. is built a lot like him. The main issue is Armstrong Jr. needs to bulk up and develop the upper body strength Little had to really meet his full potential some day. Overall, I do think Armstrong Jr. can be that blue-collar sack artist Little was for the Rams for so many years.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

February 10, 2018 | By :Jake Ellenbogen
YO3UHqOrOZGAbCqW6s2YIaoqRlkxMXlp6zkWnchywvQS4ifYVk74KM8iND_hXZ2eqQctWxkYh7ugmFcu4vZtAdX0S1Y0vUuZLKo6eIjgywkOWhx2-bguVwShSkPdMBMqnLyZ_3cXD6tGlPg9DMYiPZ8wl1kJ2ZNpUksfbwMtCXprCHLInnV1ImffmiwhTAi57pFh0InIr1-ATYmdCAr4jqlFqNkInF642QzDYjJoP-8hU1IwVbs=w5000-h5000

Who is the 6-foot-4 and 246 pound EDGE Dorance Armstrong Jr.?

He is one of the unique pass rushers in this draft class. Armstrong Jr. possesses tons of upside and a pretty high floor at the next level. He's freaky athletic and is built the exact way you want an edge rusher to look. He's got long arms, great quickness and an explosive first step. He's another high motor monster that will chase down and truly fight for the sack on the QB. It's even more impressive when you put context behind what he is doing during that play. You might see on the scoreboard ticker below his game film, he's in the fourth quarter and his team is down by more than 30 points and you won't notice that mindset as Armstrong is still fighting every play to produce for his team. That is a quality that you can say, no everyone has.

Strengths

Armstrong Jr. really has the mold of a potential star sack artist at the next level. He has the ability to play with his hand in the dirt or as a stand-up pass rusher as he did both at Kansas. He's one of the quicker and more powerful edge defenders in the class and as mentioned before his motor doesn't run out as he is trying to chase down a QB for the sack. He's an extremely talented run defender that will be a boost to any team instantly that he ends up with. His short-area burst and his bend around the edge makes him a threat for any defense. There is an argument to be made with Armstrong Jr.'s dynamic athleticism and 2016 production that he has elite level potential and if he goes to the right place he could have a coaching staff that hones in on his pass rushing maneuvers and makes him virtually unstoppable.

Weaknesses

The issue with Armstrong Jr. is that he has an arsenal of pass rushing moves, but he doesn't always stay consistent with using all of them. He can go with a speed rush or a bull rush more often than not despite the fact he has shown that he has a rip move and a spin move that he neglects to use even when necessary. He could use some more weight and upper body strength to help him disengage from blockers. He's going to need to improve on his play recognition due to the fact he falls for the ball-fake often. He had a serious production drop-off in 2017 and even though he played on a bad team, it's still something to be wary of.

How does he fit with the Rams?

Armstrong Jr. fits tremendously well with the Rams. He has huge upside and the interesting thing is that his Head coach David Beaty actually recruited Von Miller back when he was the Head of Recruiting at Texas A&M. There was an article on ESPN that suggested he could be the next Von Miller and of course Wade Phillips, the Rams Defensive coordinator coached him. Will he be the next Miller? Who knows? The Rams though, do not need him to be the greatest pass rusher in the league but they do need to get better at defending the run and Armstrong Jr. will instantly help with that. If the Rams take Armstrong Jr., it will likely be in the 1st round or the early 2nd after a trade down. So, with that being said if they take him they clearly don't view Samson Ebukam as the long-term answer or they don't see Robert Quinn sticking around much longer. Still, though, this is someone that has elite potential, has starting NFL pass rushing ability and is a stout run defender. There is definitely a fit for the Kansas prospect in Los Angeles.

Draft Grade

Rounds 1 - 3

Player comparison

Leonard Little

0TCOs8_NCO0Tpe1jXEmPT-LwDOkM1Fgby4RSVislzGTkvh6rAZUZxCcOXCaEDqFAsAiHfkN0iftWtVtfrLckIwFvRUNBA7MfFSXDXYEyQ1ho4qpTbRErcAuWSuzd4q45I05gOGbQg8jfOrqo10xteSE4TEX0XEx8bydJM9IEqJE1CQvku7IJBK8WUAb1pRO4W664xwQ83VrPHL3z3CdFvjy16hEF19SI9b0CwnDvK7icUSqxBTy8lcue=w5000-h5000

The Rams all-time leader in sacks (since we don't count the guy that came up with the term sack for some reason) Leonard Little is the best comparison in my mind for Armstrong Jr. Like Little, Armstrong Jr., has that motor, the bend and explosive first step on the edge. Little played with his hand in the dirt but Armstrong Jr., did most often in college as well. The two both have that athleticism that stands out to you on film instantly. Little was one of the more underrated pass rushers in the history of the league and Armstrong Jr. is built a lot like him. The main issue is Armstrong Jr. needs to bulk up and develop the upper body strength Little had to really meet his full potential some day. Overall, I do think Armstrong Jr. can be that blue-collar sack artist Little was for the Rams for so many years.
I really like the idea that he compares to Leonard Little, One of my Favorite Rams! Armstrong sounds great and any weaknesses sound very coachable!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
3rd Round with the 87th pick, he's the only thing good about Kansas Football as Head Coach Dave Beaty is way over his head IMO....They schemed away from Armstrong this season, which resulted in a less productive season....Wade Phillips will make him special as long as LB Coach Joe Barry stays away from him.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
3rd Round with the 87th pick, he's the only thing good about Kansas Football as Head Coach Dave Beaty is way over his head IMO....They schemed away from Armstrong this season, which resulted in a less productive season....Wade Phillips will make him special as long as LB Coach Joe Barry stays away from him.
I like Beaty but as a Kansas fan I would have to agree. He deserves this year at least. He reeled in a good recruiting class. Including a 5 star Tavon Austin-like athlete.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Beaty but as a Kansas fan I would have to agree. He deserves this year at least. He reeled in a good recruiting class. Including a 5 star Tavon Austin-like athlete.

Didn't realize you follow Kansas, IMO, I felt Beaty was not ready, never being a Head Coach and was only a OC for one year at the collegiate level, but they had failed with Turner Gill and Charles Weis, so they wanted somebody totally different. Beaty 45 at the time of the hire, sold Kansas on his ability to recruit, however, presently is 3-33. They ran the curmudgeon Calorically Challenged Mark Mangino out of Dodge, but his overall record was 50-48 and 3-1 in bowl games, so the adage used to be, show me a team who likes their coach and I will show you a losing team...The players love Dave Beaty.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Didn't realize you follow Kansas, IMO, I felt Beaty was not ready, never being a Head Coach and was only a OC for one year at the collegiate level, but they had failed with Turner Gill and Charles Weis, so they wanted somebody totally different. Beaty 45 at the time of the hire, sold Kansas on his ability to recruit, however, presently is 3-33. They ran the curmudgeon Calorically Challenged Mark Mangino out of Dodge, but his overall record was 50-48 and 3-1 in bowl games, so the adage used to be, show me a team who likes their coach and I will show you a losing team...The players love Dave Beaty.
That's a really good point! Haha yeah when I can I write for Rock Chalk Talk as well. I love Kansas because my family blood runs right through Lawrence. Beaty I think needs one more year if we don't win 5 games I think he needs to go. IMO if Dorance stayed it wouldn't have helped him much because he needs NFL coaching to fix the little nuances in his game.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I love Kansas because my family blood runs right through Lawrence. Beaty I think needs one more year if we don't win 5 games I think he needs to go.

Thing Kansas fans have to realize is what a great University and it's more than Basketball so 8 wins is where the program needs to be, but Gill & Weis could only manage 5 wins total in the two years they were both in Lawrence, so 5 in one year would be something for Beaty and IMHO, I don't see it, so go hire Craig Bohl from Wyoming and never look back.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a really good point! Haha yeah when I can I write for Rock Chalk Talk as well. I love Kansas because my family blood runs right through Lawrence. Beaty I think needs one more year if we don't win 5 games I think he needs to go. IMO if Dorance stayed it wouldn't have helped him much because he needs NFL coaching to fix the little nuances in his game.
The Emporia State Hornets probably win more games, Jake! Dump KU!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Thing Kansas fans have to realize is what a great University and it's more than Basketball so 8 wins is where the program needs to be, but Gill & Weis could only manage 5 wins total in the two years they were both in Lawrence, so 5 in one year would be something for Beaty and IMHO, I don't see it, so go hire Craig Bohl from Wyoming and never look back.
I think people forget that guys like John Riggins, Gale Sayers, Dana Stubblefield, LeRoy Irvin, Nolan Cromwell, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris Jr. among others, all went there!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
The Emporia State Hornets probably win more games, Jake! Dump KU!
But like we are Rams fans? You know there have been multiple years Kansas has had more wins than the Rams in 4 less games played.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan of Armstrong. I wouldn't take him in the first 3 rounds. His pass rushing skills weren't very inspiring. He has more power and a stronger punch than I expected, but he doesn't use it well. He doesn't rush with a plan and is a very unrefined pass rusher.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'm not a fan of Armstrong. I wouldn't take him in the first 3 rounds. His pass rushing skills weren't very inspiring. He has more power and a stronger punch than I expected, but he doesn't use it well. He doesn't rush with a plan and is a very unrefined pass rusher.
But his raw talent you need to keep in mind just needs NFL coaching. He was on a team that won 3 games in his whole time there. Imagine how bad the coaching had to be.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But like we are Rams fans? You know there have been multiple years Kansas has had more wins than the Rams in 4 less games played.
I used to transport KU Football on game day in Lawrence with a Tour Bus with Mark Mangino's Jayhawks...lol. Actually four tour buses were used. I remember driving with Mangino himself in the front seat, and he wanted that bus as COLD as a meat locker, mostly cause he was so fat! When Mangino thought it wasn't cold enough, he'd tell his assistant "It's not cold enough." The assistant and Mangino were sitting right behind the drivers seat, so I heard everything. Then the assistant would repeat the words that he knew that I'd already heard "Could you make it cooler?" Meanwhile, I'm in a parka and wearing cloves while driving...lol

When driving the visiting team to the stadium, I'd get flipped off by everyone in the crowd along the route, because they knew who the occupants were....Best T-Shirt during the Mangino era? "Our Coach can eat YOUR coach." lol