Dr Rams Offensive Tackle Scouting Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I would certainly never argue that. I went to battle with menstrual font back when Fish was first hired because I had the audacity to suggest that an experienced coach like Fish might bring about less injuries because he knows when to rest his vets and how hard to push them when. But what I don't know, and maybe you do, is if and how much of Long's injuries were actually due in part to coaches' decisions.

Saffold's move inside was two fold. They needed to get the best five linemen on the field. Barks has real difficulty inside, Saffold was having issues with stretching speed rushers out so coach Bou felt Roger was better suited at Guard. It has been mentioned by others that part of Roger's injury issues could be limited by moving him inside for this reason as well. If a player is put in a position that utilizes his more natural talent, they are less likely to be injured - aside from being fallen on and those types of injuries.

I believe the Rams have also said that if Long isn't able to start the season, Barks will move to LT and Saffold will likely play RT - the position he was drafted to play.

Certainly Saffold CAN play LT but do we want him to? Do we even WANT him to play RT? I don't. He has proven that he is a very good pulling Guard and downfield blocker. Putting him up against the fastest rushers on a defense can indeed put him at greater risk of injury and he'd be less help to our offense. I'd much rather have a Rookie learning how to play in the NFL by lining up along side a vet until he can take over at LT.

You have confidence that Long will be fine. I hope you're right. I think it is time to lock down the O-line with some young talent that can start their career with proper coaching. Then we will have options beyond scouring practice squads and pulling in street FAs. The fact that Williams started 16 games for us is all I need to know.

^^^^ This.

BadCompany

Rookie
Given the likelihood of injuries to Long and Saffold, and given that Barksdale could walk in the near future, would it be absolutely crazy to draft TWO O-linemen with our first rounders this year? Say Matthews/Robinson at #2, and then Lewan at 13 if available? Or maybe a slight trade up to 8-10? We'd get a plug-and-play guy right off the bat, either at LT or Guard, and Lewan, if not needed right away because of injuries, could mentor under Long for a year, spelling Barksdale here and there. It would set up our offensive line for quite some time, wouldn't it?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Given the likelihood of injuries to Long and Saffold, and given that Barksdale could walk in the near future, would it be absolutely crazy to draft TWO O-linemen with our first rounders this year? Say Matthews/Robinson at #2, and then Lewan at 13 if available? Or maybe a slight trade up to 8-10? We'd get a plug-and-play guy right off the bat, either at LT or Guard, and Lewan, if not needed right away because of injuries, could mentor under Long for a year, spelling Barksdale here and there. It would set up our offensive line for quite some time, wouldn't it?
That it would, we would be set for a long time on the line. Though my picks as a fan are Mack and Clinton-Dix, the truth is that it's probably much wiser to draft Matthews and Lewan, or Matthews, corner and Bitonio.

And my logic for that is simple. I just don't see us having a chance to draft another tackle excellent at pass blocking tackle with enough versatility to play all across the line like Matthews for quite some time.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

That's one way of looking at it but I hate to use a 1st round pick on a someone that is not going to be a starter for you immediately. I'm not against drafting a top OT and playing him at guard for a year or two or upgrading Barksdale but I wouldn't draft two premium OTs and then find out Jake Long is ready to go and Barksdale is up to snuff on the right side. Sure, you'd have great depth on the OL and security for the future there but you could do the same by drafting one OT in the 1st and still get a premium OG in the 2nd and a pretty good OT prospect in the 2nd or 3rd in Juwaun James or Joel Bitonio. We sure could use one of those top DBs or WRs too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Being a RTO isn't a condemnation that you shouldn't get drafted highly. So I don't agree with dropping a guy to the bottom of a ranking list just solely for that reason. To me, it just means, you need to start in this league or you're not going to be worth the pick. I thought D.J. Fluker was a RTO last year (even though he played some LT last year for SD) and he went with the 12th overall pick. It seemed justified after the year he had. I'm ok with that.
Whats up Ramzee? Long time. Good to see you in here.