Downtown Rams Podcast episode 20

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
The Downtown #Rams podcast is back shockingly without a guest as Blaine Grisak & Jake Ellenbogen bring you complete coverage and thoughts on the Rams 53-man roster, the three waiver claims they made, Aaron Donald's holdout and even some NFL draft content. Check it out here and get ready for this Friday when we have Joe Curley on to give you a full season preview for the Rams. Be sure to subscribe and leave us a five-star review on iTunes!

https://www.spreaker.com/user/downtownrams/rams-announce-2017-roster

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've downloaded it, and I'm gonna listen to it in the car on the way to Clemson tomorrow - it's an hour drive.
Get back to you tomorrow about it, Jake.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've downloaded it, and I'm gonna listen to it in the car on the way to Clemson tomorrow - it's an hour drive.
Get back to you tomorrow about it, Jake.
Thanks man! Appreciate it. We have plenty of them this was our 20th episode and if you like it definitely check out our previous ones with all sorts of awesome guests.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Agreed; the Jumpman cut was pretty surprising.

"McBob" :LOL:

I'm not so sure Donald is being "selfish" since he wants a big contract. He knows he deserves to get paid like the best and the front office is just struggling to come to terms with it. They shouldn't have gave Austin all that money last year. It's a bit of poor timing on his part with the new coaching staff, but now's Donald's best opportunity to get paid.

I have no doubt that McVay and staff made the best decisions for the 2017 roster. They're the experts.

I like your breakout player choices. Goff and Quinn are mine as well.

Nice podcast!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Agreed; the Jumpman cut was pretty surprising.

"McBob" :LOL:

I'm not so sure Donald is being "selfish" since he wants a big contract. He knows he deserves to get paid like the best and the front office is just struggling to come to terms with it. They shouldn't have gave Austin all that money last year. It's a bit of poor timing on his part with the new coaching staff, but now's Donald's best opportunity to get paid.

I have no doubt that McVay and staff made the best decisions for the 2017 roster. They're the experts.

I like your breakout player choices. Goff and Quinn are mine as well.

Nice podcast!
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! We normally have guests so this week was a rarity.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You two need to disagree more so I can hear your partner stutter while trying to cut you off.
That's pretty funny.

Breakout players - Quinn & Gurley.

I understand what you meant by Donald being selfish (from a definition standpoint). You'd think he could wait one more year to leverage his play, but 3 years straight of pro-bowl play is pretty hard to ignore. He knows it, his agents SURELY know it, and deep down the Rams know it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hasn't Quinn already broken out?:whistle:
He can re-break out.
As can Gurley.

Both were underwhelming last year, so the new coaching staff (per his framing of the question) should help.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
You two need to disagree more so I can hear your partner stutter while trying to cut you off.
That's pretty funny.

Breakout players - Quinn & Gurley.

I understand what you meant by Donald being selfish (from a definition standpoint). You'd think he could wait one more year to leverage his play, but 3 years straight of pro-bowl play is pretty hard to ignore. He knows it, his agents SURELY know it, and deep down the Rams know it.
Glad you enjoyed the podcast haha. Thanks for listening. We definitely disagree on a lot, I try not to cut him off though haha

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He can re-break out.
As can Gurley.

Both were underwhelming last year, so the new coaching staff (per his framing of the question) should help.

Plus Quinn is playing LBer which he has never done before & playing weight is less than when he came into the league.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jake, let me prognosticate that your partner Blaine's prediction. for the Ram's season
7-9
He already is downgrading Goff into a clueless rookie because of the last season's futility and the new system.this year.
I don't believe that, but if Goff is like a rookie this year we should be looking at our hole-card, QB-wise for 2018. I am optimistic about Goff that although he was slaughtered last year, he no longer has the jitters, gee-whiz-these-guys-are-fast, mentality. He has to look competent at the very least. I don't care that he will throw interceptions this year, as long as they have smart placement (tip ball INTS are not really a QB's fault,imho) and he has better pocket awareness. He is capable of this and with the weapons he has around him now, this should be the best offense we have had since before Bulger's name became a verb.

Not sure about your definition of a break out player, and I was surprised that you guys never mentioned him throughout your podcast: Cooper Kupp. I think he will be a OROY contender this year.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Jake, let me prognosticate that your partner Blaine's prediction. for the Ram's season
7-9
He already is downgrading Goff into a clueless rookie because of the last season's futility and the new system.this year.
I don't believe that, but if Goff is like a rookie this year we should be looking at our hole-card, QB-wise for 2018. I am optimistic about Goff that although he was slaughtered last year, he no longer has the jitters, gee-whiz-these-guys-are-fast, mentality. He has to look competent at the very least. I don't care that he will throw interceptions this year, as long as they have smart placement (tip ball INTS are not really a QB's fault,imho) and he has better pocket awareness. He is capable of this and with the weapons he has around him now, this should be the best offense we have had since before Bulger's name became a verb.

Not sure about your definition of a break out player, and I was surprised that you guys never mentioned him throughout your podcast: Cooper Kupp. I think he will be a OROY contender this year.
Thanks for listening. I agree. We have consistently named Kupp as a breakout player which is why we went two different names this time.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
@jakebogen95 this is always a great listen when I'm at the gym running around and lifting weights. @-X- Stuttering sucks I do it when I'm nervous or excited lol

bnw

Pro Bowler
Plus Quinn is playing LBer which he has never done before & playing weight is less than when he came into the league.
Wow! I didn't know that! Is that because of the switch to the 3-4? I was not excited about Quinn on the line due to his injury history but as a LB that shouldn't be much of an issue. I'm excited with the prospect of his speed at LB......makes me think of Leonard Little who could have been great as a LB but never got the chance.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wow! I didn't know that! Is that because of the switch to the 3-4? I was not excited about Quinn on the line due to his injury history but as a LB that shouldn't be much of an issue. I'm excited with the prospect of his speed at LB......makes me think of Leonard Little who could have been great as a LB but never got the chance.

It's more like Kevin Greene when he went to Pittsburgh from a 4-3 to 4-3.
He coached Clay Matthews in GB.
Mathews actually played MLB one season for them, but Quinn will be more like Demarco Ware or Von Miller.

Connor Barwin will be on the other side.

The thing I liked from last weeks game was on 3rd down long Ethan Westbrooks
Moved inside to AAron Donald's DT spot & got to the QB.

Longacre could be moved outside as well. It's just a way to get to the QB faster.

This will workout well for Quinn because he is not just coming off the edge with his hand down. --Less outside containment. -- He will have to get deeper & play more coverage though on certain play calls.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
@jakebogen95 this is always a great listen when I'm at the gym running around and lifting weights. @-X- Stuttering sucks I do it when I'm nervous or excited lol
Aww thank you! I'm glad you listen to my voice to fuel your gains! haha but for real thank you! I can't stress it enough anyone who ever spends time listening to ME is the real MVP

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've been waiting forever for him to get his hand out of the dirt.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Aww thank you! I'm glad you listen to my voice to fuel your gains! haha but for real thank you! I can't stress it enough anyone who ever spends time listening to ME is the real MVP
No problem.. now don't forget to give me a shout out and don't forget that Twitter handle too.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good listen, great take by your guest. You partner really needs to get a grip on that stuttstuuttstuuutering. :palm: