Downtown Rams Draft Profile: Colorado FS Tedric Thompson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Downtown Rams Draft Profile: Colorado FS Tedric Thompson
227364_241a7437bcea4ddab9afaac1c52b9319~mv2.webp

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-...ams-Draft-Profile-Colorado-FS-Tedric-Thompson

Our new massive series here at Downtown Rams will give you players that catch our eye. We will bring you bring you draft prospects, see where their fit is with the Rams and of course give you a player comparison.

Who is the 6-foot-1, 205 pound FS Tedric Thompson?
A big part of that lethal Colorado Buffaloes secondary, Thompson is the pure meaning of the term ball-hawk. Thompson had himself 13 career interceptions and 26 pass breakups, he by all accounts may have been college football's best cover safety over the last couple of years. Thompson has the ball skills that could make him standout immediately on an NFL football field. A man that doesn't have the crazy measurables by any stretch, makes up for it with his hard work and determination. It's worth noting this kid thought about quitting football due to his concussion, but he has continued to work hard and instill himself as one of the best players in the Pac 12 conference.

Strengths
Good size
Above average leaping ability
Ball skills so good, he looks like a WR high pointing the ball at times
High motor
Solid speed
Quicker than fast
Extremely reactionary
Strong, fluid athlete
Playmaker with the ball in his hands

Weaknesses
Lacks NFL range
Doesn't believe in his one on one tackling ability at times and will throw himself aggressively at the ball carrier
Not much of a hard hitting tackler

How does he fit with the Rams?
Tedric Thompson would likely be a quality day one starter at free safety and allow Maurice Alexander to go into his natural spot at strong safety if the Rams let T.J. McDonald leave. The Rams in my personal opinion are missing a play-maker who can change the game in a second and that is Thompson. I see his fit as a guy who can come in and be the final piece to building this secondary up to where it needs to be. Thompson would be one of the bigger strong safeties the Rams have had in the past. Think of Rodney McLeod. Now, think of a FS who can cover. (You shouldn't be thinking of McLeod anymore). Now, think of one that can intercept passes like he's catching the ball as a receiver? Nope there is no one on the Rams that comes to mind, because the Rams do not have that type of player on their roster. Thompson would definitely be a fit.

Draft Grade
2nd round-4th round

Player Comparison
Darian Thompson
227364_802be064fe374af3add4fa0a70e76821~mv2.webp

I think Tedric Thompson compares to another Thompson who just finished his rookie year. Darian Thompson and Tedric Thompson both had the college waves by storm when they dominated college teams by picking off tons of passes. Both Thompson's are cover guys that have the hands, ball skills and instincts to intercept a pass. Darian had a year full of injury and struggle but make no mistake he will be a good player. Give him time. With Tedric I think he might be the better Thompson of the two of them. Regardless it is, and will remain close.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
While reading the breakdown, I was thinking, this guy sounds like another OJ Atogwe. I can get on board with that

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While reading the breakdown, I was thinking, this guy sounds like another OJ Atogwe. I can get on board with that
Wow! I love that comparison. Atogwe had more hammer to him but I still love the comparison.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Wow! I love that comparison. Atogwe had more hammer to him but I still love the comparison.

Atogwe was not a hard hitter ; he was a consistently good tackler. There weren't many ball carriers that got past him.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Atogwe was not a hard hitter ; he was a consistently good tackler. There weren't many ball carriers that got past him.
That's the thing like he is a way better tackler than Thompson.