Donald Wins AP DROY

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Rams DT Aaron Donald named AP Defensive rookie of the year.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Congratulations, AD!

nfl_a_donla32_cr_300x200.jpg

upload_2015-1-31_18-3-25.jpeg

images

images

images

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams DT Aaron Donald is top defensive rookie

By BARRY WILNER

http://pro32.ap.org/article/rams-dt-aaron-donald-top-defensive-rookie

PHOENIX (AP) — St. Louis Rams tackle Aaron Donald has won The Associated Press NFL Defensive Rookie Of The Year award for 2014.

A first-round draft pick (13th overall) out of Pittsburgh, Donald drew 25 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who regularly cover the league. That was seven more than Baltimore linebacker C.J. Mosley.

Oakland LB Khalil Mack got six votes, and San Francisco LB Chris Borland received one.

A force against the run and the pass, Donald had 37 tackles, nine assists, and led all rookies with nine sacks. He was one of three rookies initially selected for the Pro Bowl; Mosley also made it.

Donald is the second Ram to win the award and the first since linebacker Isiah Robertson in 1971, when the team was in Los Angeles.

The award was presented during the "NFL Honors" show Saturday night.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Totally deserving!!! Congratulations, AD!!!! One of the best 1st round picks we've had in a long time.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Can't say enough about this young man. Hall of Fame talent, and he'll be heading there some day if he keeps this up. Maybe the best DT in the league already.

I am very happy with this. Got to get me a Donald jersey.

RamBill

Legend
Casey Pearce ‏@ccpearce

Quote from Jeff Fisher on @AaronDonald97 --

“From the moment he arrived last spring, Ad worked extremely hard to prepare himself for a great rookie season, & he certainly delivered."

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Donald drew 25 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who regularly cover the league. That was seven more than Baltimore linebacker C.J. Mosley.

Oakland LB Khalil Mack got six votes, and San Francisco LB Chris Borland received one

jjab360

Legend
It's about time they didn't screw one of our Rams over. I have a feeling this kid will go down as one of the GOATs when it's all said and done.

RamBill

Legend
Aaron Donald Wins Defensive Rookie of the Year
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Aaron-Donald-Wins-Defensive-Rookie-of-the-Year/79e07bb4-9931-48eb-a28e-0e18d2198398

After a sterling first season, Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald has been named the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year. Donald was presented with the award at the NFL Honors ceremony in Arizona on Saturday night.

The honor comes on the heels of Donald being named the Pro Football Writers of America Defensive Rookie of the Year earlier in the month. With the award, Donald becomes the first Ram to win both the AP and PFWA Defensive Rookie of the Year awards since linebacker Isiah Robertson accomplished the feat in 1971.

Donald had a prolific first season for St. Louis, leading all NFL rookies with 9.0 sacks. The mark set a new franchise record for rookies, irrespective of position. He also had 32 quarterback pressures, 12 quarterback hits, and 17 tackles for loss in his 2014 campaign, which earned him a spot in the Pro Bowl.

“He’s probably the best rookie I’ve ever played with, and I’ve played with some really good football players,” defensive end William Hayes said at the end of the regular season. “But we will be remembering his name 15, 20 years from now, I can promise you that. He’s something special.”

The rookie’s sack total was the second highest among all NFL defensive tackles, trailing only Buffalo’s Marcell Dareus, who posted 10.0. Donald’s 9.0 sacks also rank as the sixth most by a rookie defensive tackle since the stat became official in 1982. Additionally, only three interior rushers in franchise history have posted more sacks in a season than Donald in 2014.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for that kid,” defensive end Chris Long said. “He’s just been a pro since he got here. He can hang with the guys, he’s a good locker room dude, and he’s a hell of a player. He’s been pro ready since he got here, and I just admire the way he plays the game, the way he brings intensity and physicality to Sunday, and he’s a good teammate.”

Donald becomes the second player to win an offensive or defensive Rookie of the Year award on the roster, as quarterback Sam Bradford was named both the AP and PFWA Offensive Rookie of the Year following the 2010 season. Donald is the fifth player in franchise history to win one of the awards, the others being Robertson, Bradford, running back Eric Dickerson (offensive, 1983), and Jerome Bettis (offensive, 1993).

RamBill

Legend
Aaron Donald wins Defensive Rookie of the Year
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15894/aaron-donald-wins-defensive-rookie-of-the-year

In the early 2000s, the St. Louis Rams had a knack for drafting defensive tackles in the first round, only to see them fail to pan out or never ascend much above the level of average. Names like Damione Lewis, Jimmy Kennedy, Ryan Pickett and Adam Carriker were all first-round selections but only Pickett (the lowest drafted of the three, by the way) turned into a good NFL player.

That history of misses on first-round defensive tackles was wiped away Saturday night when defensive tackle Aaron Donald added the crown jewel of rookie defensive awards, claiming the "official" Defensive Rookie of the Year award at the NFL Honors Awards show.

Donald had already been feted with major awards such as a Pro Bowl trip and the Pro Football Writers of America's version of the defensive rookie of the year, but Saturday's trophy is the one that is recognized as the primary honor as voted on by the Associated Press panel of voters.

"It's a blessing," Donald said. "It's huge. It's something you dream about coming into the NFL. To be able to accomplish it is just amazing.

"I always set my goals high. I wanted to get double digit sacks and things like that but you always have to set high goals so you have something to chase. You have got to have that mindset to stay hungry, stay humble and just continue to work."

For Donald, it was an award well earned as he beat out other top candidates such as Oakland linebacker Khalil Mack and Baltimore linebacker C.J. Mosley. In the process, Donald becomes the first Ram since linebacker Isiah Robertson in 1971 to win the award and only the second Ram to earn it since it's inception.

Donald proved one of the Rams' best players, let alone rookies in 2014, with a breakout season that coaches, teammates, media and fans saw coming almost from the moment the team drafted him No. 13 overall.

"I'm thrilled to congratulate Aaron on this tremendous achievement," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said in a statement. "From the moment he arrived in St. louis last spring, Aaron worked extremely hard to prepare himself for a great rookie season and he certainly delivered. His production on the field speaks for itself. As an entire organization, we're very proud of Aaron and we celebrate with him."

Donald's nine sacks led all rookies and represent the most by any first-year player in the past three years. That total was second most on the team behind defensive end Robert Quinn and eclipsed the eight from Detroit defensive end Ezekiel Ansah last year and Seattle linebacker Bruce Irvin in 2012. It's also the sixth most by a rookie defensive tackle since sacks became an official statistic in 1982.

Those nine sacks were the second most among all defensive tackles in the NFL in 2014, trailing only behind the 10 of Buffalo's Marcell Dareus. For what it's worth, Pro Football Focus graded Donald as the best defensive tackle in the NFL. Donald also had 17 tackles for loss, the most by a rookie defensive lineman in league history.