Donald beyond frustrated with 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
CAMsack_donald.jpg

By: Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Star defensive tackle Aaron Donald has another Pro Bowl on his resume, but it's been another trying season for one of the game's fiercest competitors.

"It’s been tough," said Donald, his Los Angeles Rams sitting at 4-10. "It’s definitely been tough this year. I had high expectations for this year, thinking we were going to do some big things, and a lot of things just didn’t go the way we expected. But the only thing we can do is finish these last two games strong and try to build on what we have. Next year it’s going to be a totally different team."

A lot will change about the Rams in 2017 as the team marks its second season back in L.A. The head coach will certainly be different, as Jeff Fisher was fired Dec. 12. Soon the entire coaching staff will be overhauled, and the front office might be, too, if general manager Les Snead does not stay. Then the roster will change. The Rams need depth at linebacker, cornerback and safety. They need to inject talent at receiver, overhaul the offensive line and make decisions about several key free agents, most notably Trumaine Johnson, Kenny Britt, T.J. McDonald, Benny Cunningham, Greg Zuerlein and Case Keenum.

Simply put: They need to figure out ways surround Donald with the type of talent that will maximize his strength as the game's best interior pass-rusher.

Donald and standout punter Johnny Hekker were each named to their third Pro Bowl Tuesday night.

J.J. Watt injured, but he doesn't much care for it.

"It ain’t about individual success," Donald said. "It’s a team game."

And Donald is part of a team that has lost nine of its last 10 games and off four consecutive blowout losses. His Rams have never been better than 7-9.

"It’s frustrating," Donald said. "You train, and you put so much time into this game to try to win, to get your body in top shape, to get you physically ready. And then you go through such a grind, where you wear your body down and you do so much, to go play a game, and you lose week in and week out, you’re going to be frustrated."

That frustration has seemingly spilled over a couple of times already this season. Late in a season-opening, 28-0 blowout loss against the San Francisco 49ers -- the Rams' next opponent -- Donald was ejected for unnecessary roughness and for making contact with an official, then slammed his helmet to the turf as he walked off the field. Late in a 24-3 loss to the Seattle Seahawks last Thursday, Donald received 30 yards' worth of penalties on one play, first for grabbing a facemask and then for flinging the official's flag.

The Rams' roster might get an overhaul this offseason, but Donald still sees promise within it.

It's part of what has made this season so trying.

"I think there’s a lot of talent on this team," Donald said. "I think we have a lot of big-time players that can be stars in this league. That’s the thing that makes you frustrated, because you have so much talent on this team and then you go out and play week in and week out and you’re not winning games, and you just don’t know why. It’s definitely tough, man. I couldn’t even put it in words. Just have to try to bottle that anger in and not do certain things that hurt the team."

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...s-dt-aaron-donald-beyond-frustrated-with-2016

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO, it should be a priority to get Donald signed to a long-term deal this off-season. We can't let this guy go.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IMO, it should be a priority to get Donald signed to a long-term deal this off-season. We can't let this guy go.
And I was just gonna say, he sounds like a guy that's leaving the first chance he gets....
#tiredoflosing

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
He might not be interested in an extension right now...He'll command bazillions in free agency and would probably leave the Rams for a contender if the Rams don't turn it around before his 1st contract is over..He'll be a very, very rich man regardless of which way he ends up going...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He might not be interested in an extension right now...He'll command bazillions in free agency and would probably leave the Rams for a contender if the Rams don't turn it around before his 1st contract is over..He'll be a very, very rich man regardless of which way he ends up going...
This is probably true, and there's a part of me saying he won't consider any extension until seeing how next season ends.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
And I was just gonna say, he sounds like a guy that's leaving the first chance he gets....
#tiredoflosing
He probably feels like that and I doubt he's alone but guys like him have to be the ones who step up and lead the team. Doing dumb shit like throwing the flag back at the ref just cannot happen even in a game that is lost.

Be part of the solution not part of the problem.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its articles like this that make me really grateful for the franchise tag...
#cantleaveifwewontletyou

fearsomefour

Legend
Have to get him resigned long term but need to be smart about how the deal is structured. He is small guy making a living with quickness inside...along with elite hand skills and leverage.
Sign him asap.
But, these article where these guy talk about how much work they do. STFU. No once cares. Everyone else works 50-52 weeks a year as well for less money. Go F yourself with your frustration. Get to work and make it better.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I really hope Donald looks passed all the BS. Yes it sucks losing it does. Get knocked down get back up again. The mentality shouldn't be I want to quit because this team sucks. This team is in peril, we need leadership on the field. Can he suck it up and hope things will change for the better? Of course he can, won't be easy, life isn't easy period, but would he rather take the easy way out, and jump ship. I don't know, whatever... Is this the polluted way of thinking on this team right now???

F it.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Have to get him resigned long term but need to be smart about how the deal is structured. He is small guy making a living with quickness inside...along with elite hand skills and leverage.
Sign him asap.
But, these article where these guy talk about how much work they do. STFU. No once cares. Everyone else works 50-52 weeks a year as well for less money. Go F yourself with your frustration. Get to work and make it better.
I totally 100% agree with you. Except, most of us don't put our long term health on the line with our jobs. Football players are dying younger and younger. And it's mostly because they take such a beating for years playing this game. But yeah, I totally agree.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"I think there’s a lot of talent on this team," Donald said. "I think we have a lot of big-time players that can be stars in this league. That’s the thing that makes you frustrated, because you have so much talent on this team and then you go out and play week in and week out and you’re not winning games, and you just don’t know why. It’s definitely tough, man. I couldn’t even put it in words.."
This^ pretty much describes The way I feel!!!

TexasRam

Legend
I love Donald like my firstborn.

But one has to wonder about him as an asset. We could realistically get multiple draft picks for trading him. I know, I'm the devil because I said trade and Donald in the same breath, but hear me out.

We are depleted of draft picks and have to put peices around Goff. Donald is the only player that could get us those draft picks. With a new staff coming in its a 2-3 year plan to build the franchise around Goff. Without draft capital that would be extremely hard for an incoming coach.

In a few years Donald isnt trade bait, he's a free agent. Have to do it now.

A defense of no names can be put together to compete, go see the Cowboys.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nald-picks-up-a-couple-of-fines-from-week-15/

Aaron Donald picks up a couple of fines from Week 15
Posted by Josh Alper on December 23, 2016

603568256-e1482530548455.jpg
Getty Images

Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald has found himself on the receiving end of fines several times this season and he added to that total this week.

Donald was fined for a pair of infractions in the team’s Week 15 loss to the Seahawks. Donald was penalized for grabbing a facemask in the fourth quarter of the 24-3 Seattle win and then picked up another penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct when he threw the flag back toward the official.

PFT confirmed with the league on Friday that Donald has been fined $18,231 for unnecessary roughness and $24,309 for unsportsmanlike conduct. He’s previously been fined this season for crashing a kneeldown during a Lions win in October and for a pair of infractions on opening night. Donald was ejected from that game.

Rams defensive tackle Dominique Easley was fined $18,231 for roughing Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson and Seahawks linebacker Cassius Marsh was fined $12,154 for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the first quarter of the game.

tempests

Hall of Fame
We are depleted of draft picks and have to put peices around Goff. Donald is the only player that could get us those draft picks. With a new staff coming in its a 2-3 year plan to build the franchise around Goff. Without draft capital that would be extremely hard for an incoming coach.

Could be decades before the Rams see a DT like Donald again. Roll snake eyes on those picks and that trade will be regarded as the worst in franchise history.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love Donald like my firstborn.

But one has to wonder about him as an asset. We could realistically get multiple draft picks for trading him. I know, I'm the devil because I said trade and Donald in the same breath, but hear me out.

In a few years Donald isnt trade bait, he's a free agent. Have to do it now.

A defense of no names can be put together to compete, go see the Cowboys.

I hear you.

Donald has a HOF start to his career. Someone team's game plan around when playing us on defense. How many of those types are on existing rosters?

Granted, that's why you've suggested he has big trade value, and I don't disagree... I just don't like the chances of those picks equaling the value of a HOF player.

Besides; IMO... the loss of draft picks from the Goff trade is overstated in most debates. Get past the 1st round this year and we're done.

I don't see that as discouraging to an inbound coach, at all. In fact, if the HC likes what he sees in Goff... this job has a TON of upside. Very attractive.