Dolphins activate T.J. McDonald after eight-game suspension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Wow. Just heard this as well.
Much steeper suspension than many thought

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Should be harsher he chose to get behind the wheel of a vehicle intoxicated and risk not only his life but those who shared the road with him.

Based on NFL standards it's harsh. First offense. Gordon got suspended like 5 times before he got a suspension like this.

Yes, I'm exaggerating.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
He's already a free agent but if anything I think the Rams should re-sign him since the suspension basically makes his value next to nothing and doesn't count against the 53man roster to week 9. Would be a good replacement if anything happened to a starting safety

Not for the 1st half of the season though..Not a good replacement if he can't play...

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Should be harsher he chose to get behind the wheel of a vehicle intoxicated and risk not only his life but those who shared the road with him.

But did he smoke weed tho?

Remember Leonard Little? People quickly forgot that he killed a mother while under the influence-- almost three times the legal limit if I remember right.. Member his punishment? I member. He then had the nerve to drive under the influence, again, years later. Still no league suspension.

You can beat a woman, beat a kid, kill someone, drive under the influence, etc.. as long as it doesn't involve marijuana. The owners are still living under Nixon.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Not for the 1st half of the season though..Not a good replacement if he can't play...

Not saying he's your top backup option, but if a starter gets hurt past week 9 he would likely be better than any backup on the roster. If no one is hurt when his suspension is up you just don't active him to the roster and cut your losses. But since he's probably looking a vet minimum deal this season not much money would be wasted for a potential replacement starter

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Seems like a big suspension by NFL TERMS. I have to think there are some additional circumstances we don't know about. Maybe Fish already caught him and this was really a hidden second offense? Dunno. Sounds likeep he may have a problem with pain meds or something Ala Brett Favre.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
With how McD plays, that could be. He sacrifices his body on those big hits.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Gotta be more to this DUI we don't know about. It was dismissed, as far as I know TJ has not had any previous issues, and half a season heavier than many previous DUI suspensions.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
The DUI also included drug charges. Maybe that's why the punishment seems steep?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Gotta be more to this DUI we don't know about. It was dismissed, as far as I know TJ has not had any previous issues, and half a season heavier than many previous DUI suspensions.

He must have had a failed test for substance abuse in his past but the first time failing isn't a suspension and can go under the radar/withheld from the media etc.

I'm guessing since his first failed substance abuse test was already in his back pocket, the current DUI wasn't alcohol related (likely a controlled substance of some kind) so he graduated to the stage 2 penalty phase and you combine that with being behind the wheel of a vehicle, probably got him an extra couple games added to his suspension. (I think something to this extent)

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2016/3/17/11250306/a-refresher-course-on-the-nfls-drug-policy
A player fails the test if their sample tests positive for illegal substances (obviously) or if they fail to show up to the test. Failing a drug test moves a player to Stage One of the NFL's Intervention Program. Stage One is simple, the medical director evaluates a player and then comes up with a treatment plan for him at a facility or through a clinician.

The player is subject to substance abuse testing, but it is not yet at surprise at this point. Stage One can last up to 90 days. Violations of Stage One only result in a penalty of a fine. If a player successfully completes Stage One, they are free, but they enter Stage Two if they fail.

Stage Two is similar to Stage One in terms of treatment, testing, and violation. However it lasts for 24 months instead of 90 days and players that commit infractions can face suspensions of four to six games. Failures here send a player to Stage Three of the NFL's Intervention Program, where Will Hill and Martavis Bryant reside.

Like with the other two stages, players are subject to a treatment plan, but they are now subject to unannounced testing. Failed tests will result in a 10 game suspension if the first violation is for marijuana. Unless the medical director chooses to discharge the player, Stage Three will last for the remainder of the player's career.

substance.jpg

Ram65

Legend
Steep fines all the way around. Hope it was just one incident and TJ moves on without any more trouble. He sure laid some wood as a Ram.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
But did he smoke weed tho?

Remember Leonard Little? People quickly forgot that he killed a mother while under the influence-- almost three times the legal limit if I remember right.. Member his punishment? I member. He then had the nerve to drive under the influence, again, years later. Still no league suspension.

You can beat a woman, beat a kid, kill someone, drive under the influence, etc.. as long as it doesn't involve marijuana. The owners are still living under Nixon.

None of this is justifiable and I stick to my guns if your under the influence and operating a motor vehicle 8 games is a gift. I agree and was appalled with the other suspensions lengths as well. But to sit here and watch y'all justify a lesser punishment because others didn't get it is ridiculous. I for 1 am tired of actors/athletes getting special treatment because of their so called talents.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Remember Leonard Little? People quickly forgot that he killed a mother while under the influence

Who exactly forgot that? People in St. Louis chanted "murdererer" at him from the stands.

There's no point in making an apples to apples comparison from the late 90s to today. Player discipline was lamentably lax under Tagliabue. It's one of the reasons why Goodell had so much support when he started out.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Who exactly forgot that? There's no point in making an apples to apples comparison...

Well shit. No discussion here. Better pack it up fellas.

Point is, TJ got 8 games for an offense most get off easy with (see:Robert Quinn, Michael Floyd, etc.) in this AND previous NFL eras.

TJ's punishment is comparable to getting caught with weed in your system, under Goodell. I understand Rabid Ram's disdain for DUI offenders, but comparably, TJ got hit pretty hard.