Do the Rams REALLY need another TE?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Nah, it's not a glaring need. Kendricks is more than capable of being a solid starter, but I would like to have that receiving weapon at the TE spot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ben is a very talented person who has many things he can do in the next phase of his life after NFL, but I just think that if he could duplicate what he did in NO last season and there is no reason he could not he healthier than he ever been.....His mature solid game day leadership in the huddle with a very young offensive team would be worth so much more than his cap cost for one season. A very young backfield a young cadre unit of WR's & a very young OL unit ......having one class act veteran TE in the middle of it all is the meal ticket!

Remember it the blending of all types of elements of a team that makes a special brew.:cheers: Your not going to get what Ben can bring at his age for the cost of a WWC or JAG. This 2016 season has the cap space for a one yr deal. The offense needs some serious direction & guidance that a Ben type player can help with.

Last edited:

FrankenRam

Starter

Why not make Kendricks the pass catching TE and sign or draft an inline blocking TE.(?)

Not saying LK is a great pass catcher, but always thought he was a more consistent receiver than Cook. They took a chance on Cook becoming the next Jimmy Graham or Gronk type TE, and that failed.

LK may be more like a traditional TE in that he's a pretty good blocker, and a serviceable pass catcher that won't often make the highlight reel catches, but will do enough in the 7-15 yd range to make a worthwhile contribution. AND....he's already signed. Surely, a blocking oriented TE would come far cheaper than a 'stud' pass catching TE...assuming one can even be found that won't cost at least as much as they gave Cook.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
There's only a few guys that would be 2nd - 3rd round, and then everybody else. I saw a couple guys in the later rounds that could be a good fit for us.

Ants

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, we need a pass catching TE. Ants. Period.

A QB's second best friend (after Gurley).

Weren't you watching the playoffs? Those teams got to the playoffs in no small part due to pass catching TE's.

A pass catching TE is a "need", not a "want". In today's NFL, anyway.

Oh really? Who was the Bronco's "pass-catching" TE? Owen Daniels caught teams by surprise - failed to plan for him doing anything.
Vernon Davis? Um, well, he's on the roster.
Look at most teams in the league - most of them have guys like Kendricks...which is fine.
Period. :LOL:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
You would think that with Gurley and Austin being able to field two tight ends that can block for them would be a priority. Whether one be inline and the other I the backfield or both of them inline, blocking should be a first priority, and then to really make the ship go, you'd want them to be able to catch a pass consistently. I think if you have that, you can make defenses bite all over the field. New England made a nice run of it. So yes, if you have the talent we do in the backfield, a top tight end may be worth more to the team than is usual.

And that sort of value is exactly the kind of price break variation that could separate you from the herd. Value by position can be a double edged sword is all I'm saying. And every coach is looking for that edge. What they did differently to gain that ultimate competitive edge.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Oh really? Who was the Bronco's "pass-catching" TE? Owen Daniels caught teams by surprise - failed to plan for him doing anything.
Vernon Davis? Um, well, he's on the roster.
Look at most teams in the league - most of them have guys like Kendricks...which is fine.
Period. :LOL:

There were 12 teams that entered the playoffs, Ants.

It seemed like almost all of them had potent pass catching TE's to me.

So many highlight reel plays made one after another.

We need some of that. We're not gonna get a Gronk, I know. But a genuine threat would help our young O in so many ways.

I would go so far as to rank a pass catching TE as 3rd on our priority needs list. Right behind QB and WR.

Does that make more sense to you?

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

It seemed like almost all of them had potent pass catching TE's to me

Chiefs - Kelce who is proficient and and up and coming guy.

Houston - No one good. TE position is a mess.

Steelers - Heath Miller on his final season put up some decent stats. Is a great 3rd down option.

Bengals - Eifert who just had an amazing season. Great TE.

Seahawks - Graham was injured most of the year and the other guys are about average.

Vikings - Kyle Rudolph has been pretty disappointing since his contract extension. Better than anything the Rams have, but hasn't reached his potential

Packers - Richard Rodgers is alright, but slow as hell. Could be upgraded and Aaron helps him out.

Skins - Jordan Reed is a very good TE with some injury issues. Still an impressive player.

Pats - Gronk

Panthers - Olsen

Cards - Not a big part of the offense. Darren Fells is alright but not putting up anything big.

Broncos - Owen Daniels was a corpse, but had some clutch plays.

So I'll say the Panthers, Pats, Skins, Bengals, and Chiefs had elite tight ends.

Packers, Vikes, Steelers had solid options.

Hawks had replacement level guys. Cards Darren Fells is mediocre stat wise, but TE isn't huge in their offense. Owen Daniels had some nice plays but was mediocre overall on the season. Houston sucks at TE.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Am I selling the 25 yr old 6-4 260 pound Cory Harkey short here on these UFA TE discussions? Is Cory nothing but a small condense OT? I think that I might be doing Cory an injustice.

At UCLA started in parts of all 4 seasons & finished his career with 26-straight starts... regarded as one of the better blocking tight ends in college football when he entered the draft. Should I also think that Cory lettered 4 seasons in basketball. There might also be a fairly decent blood line too because Cory's dad had a 10-season career as a Major League pitcher. Could be if Cory desires to returns back to where he attended school & College in southern CA. Cory could be signed back up to play for us again.

If Cory was promised a much bigger role in the LA Rams offense with an increased game plan for him to touch the ball more often in the passing game & to move him in many more different position on the LOS. Could Lance take up more of the Jared Cook role & Cory take up the previous Lance Kendricks role?

Snead does have TE/FB Justice Cunningham signed.JC has been hanging on in the NFL now since 2013 when he was drafted by the Colts. JC came to the Rams in 2014 & has been activated on the 53 player roster in 2014/2015 seasons. He only dressed for 2 games last season. Do you think that JC 25 yr old 6-3 258 pounder might have been groomed to replace Cory in 2016 @ FB? There is also FB/RB Zack Laskey signed who has a wonderful set of mitts on him too.

If the Rams resign Cory this team could get by with the the four mentioned above & one new addition but that new addition MUST have some talent in catching the ball!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Any team using a marginal or "bridge" QB, needs a quality TE. A good receiving TE can be a great safety valve, especially for a young QB and or a short QB that might not see the field as well.

Not to mention the fact that for a team that likes to run the ball, having quality all around TEs is a huge part of what they will do.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd gladly sign either Fleener or Allen, depending on who goes to free agency. If not them, my choice is Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper as a second round pick.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

It seemed like almost all of them had potent pass catching TE's to me.

So many highlight reel plays made one after another.

We need some of that. We're not gonna get a Gronk, I know. But a genuine threat would help our young O in so many ways.

I would go so far as to rank a pass catching TE as 3rd on our priority needs list. Right behind QB and WR.

Does that make more sense to you?
And Kendricks would be the best TE on some of those teams.
All we need is a guy that can catch the ball in the middle of the field and gain yards.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
And Kendricks would be the best TE on some of those teams.
All we need is a guy that can catch the ball in the middle of the field and gain yards.

So, just to be clear, Dodgers...

You're on record as believing that we don't need another TE?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So, just to be clear, Dodgers...

You're on record as believing that we don't need another TE?
I wouldn't be upset about it. I just think most don't live up to the hype.
A solid pass catcher doesn't need to be costly or flashy.
I'm comfortable rolling with LK for the time being.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Short answer, yes. I'd like to see us draft one this year. A Bryce Williams or Tyler Higbee would do just fine.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
......I want Hunter Henry because, he's big, strong and I'm a huge fan of alliteration, but the Rams need other things first so if they end up with Nick Vannett, that's fine too.....
.........It would be great to draft a player like Hunter Henry who could become the #1 TE. His size and consistent hands would give the Rams QB a very reliable target along with being able to utilize him.....
.......YES. Henry is perfect for the Rams, however if he is gone late first round there are still some other good options. I'd go with Williams in round 4 personally........
.......my choice is Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper as a second round pick......
.......Hunter Henry in the second would make my day......
...... I'd like to see us draft one this year. A Bryce Williams or Tyler Higbee would do just fine......

OK Ram fans how we going to draft such a talented TE when you have traded away the LA Ram draft farm for a top QB that everyone is banging the drum for :rant:?:D