Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year $212M extension $170M guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Anybody who says he was just fine playing in that hostile environment maybe doesn't remember the game.

I remember it very well.
It was more than three throws. That final drive in regulation saw some good throws under duress as well. And overall it was very much some clutch play.

Still, you want to deflect for Herbert who can't even get a playoff W with a 27 point lead. Yes, the team around matters, but I always hear the criticism of Goff that "he can't elevate a team" and yet Herbert gets a pass when he can't play well enough to elevate his team to get in one year (2021 vs. Raiders, which included a critical 4th quarter INT) and then can't elevate his team to at least get more than 3 lousy second half points in an epic meltdown the next year. But yeah, let's give Herbert a pass and shit on Jared when his teams don't melt down a 27 point lead or choke away a chance for the playoffs.

I'll take Goff's 5-4 record in the playoffs over Herbert's 0-1 any day. The next big game Herbert wins will be his first.

Yes, I'm talking about QB play too. And one of the QBs in this discussion has a demonstrably and quantifiably better track record than the other one.
No one shit on Goff.

With these histrionics, I’m out.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
And the best decision Brad Holmes ever made was to trade for Jared Goff. Holmes basically staked his reputation on acquiring Goff two weeks after he started as GM. If Goff had been a bust, as many here thought, the Lions would still be in the tank.

Goff has been as important as anyone, and maybe more than anyone, in turning around the Lions. He took a disfunctional offense and turned it into a top 5 powerhouse. And he did at a time when he did not have any known offensive weapons. He had a 4th round receiver in St. Brown and Josh Reynolds. He has also become a hero in Detroit.

Now that they finally have a real secondary, the Lions will be a threat to run the table in the NFC and win a Super Bowl. There are no guarantees, but anyone who thinks Goff can't do this because he is a classic pocket quarterback doesn't appreciate how nearly unstoppable the Detroit offense has become. Their D stopped them last year, not the offense. They were good enough to punch the Rams in the face and will be better next year.

Goff earned the contract. And market value-- what a team is actually willing to pay for someone-- is as real a measure as anything.
I just hope that organization is ready for the carnage we are bringing with us next time we stop in the Motor City!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, you can't put him in with the elite qbs but he's very good and sometimes that's enough.

Teams can win with him and every team is searching for a qb that can win games for them. It's no accident he helped two teams off the scrap heap.

When it comes to Goff, the best compliment is he can be very dangerous.

Tano

Legend
That was my point in the Super Bowl winning QBs post. Stafford is easily worth the contract we paid him.

That doesn't mean paying any of those QBs is the right move - in fact it likely dooms them to not winning it all
Then most teams are run by idiots - got it

Tano

Legend
When it comes to Goff, the best compliment is he can be very dangerous.
I have always said this

When Goff is given 3 seconds - he is deadly

Less than 3 seconds then doh

But I still consider Goff a top 10 QB right now and deserves that Payday based on the going rate

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
i hate to do this because it should never be about goff vs stafford but you forced me to do it.

in their last meeting stafford couldn't get in done in the redzone when he needed to. goff needed 2 1st downs to ice the game and he got them both times by passing the ball. it seems he wasn't so deer in the headlights there.

You must have forgotten Stafford injured his thumb badly early in that game. The real Goff
showed up against 9ers. Without lions 182 rushing yards the game wouldn't have been close.

And I can guarantee you that we don't win 2021 super bowl with Goff at QB.

No way he drives the team to game winning field goal with 42 seconds on the clock against the Bucs to move
to the NFC championship game against niners.

Where Stafford with no running game, brings Rams back with 13 unanswered points in 4th to overcome a 17-7 deficit
and advance to a Super Bowl.
A game where Stafford absolutely put the offense on his back and willed one of the greatest 4th Quarter winning drives in Ram history.

Why can't It be Goff vs Stafford?Just because Goff used to be a Ram he holds some kind of reverence??
I have nothing against Goff , but he is just a QB on another team to me. one I am glad we traded.

The truth is one of the reasons the Rams traded for Stafford and gave the Lions Goff and a bucket of gold
is exactly what I said under pressure he simply can't carry a offense by his self. Deer in headlights.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am a way bigger Goff fan than most. But I don't like that contact. There is no real excuse for paying him more than almost every other QB, IMO.

When the Rams gave Goff his first huge deal, it was way more defensible - he was still so young, and already took the team so far, you were in part paying for potential. We could have been locking him up long-term, while still young, before his prime, and with lots of growth ahead of him, just before he entered the absolute best of the best QB tier. That didn't happen. But you had to bake that into the valuation process. Goff is what he is at this point - a great QB that is criminally underrated, but with some exploitable flaws, and he needs a good team around him. No QB looks good under duress. But I am still convinced no NFL QB has a bigger spread as drastic as Goff's - from quite possible top 5 when kept clean, to the worst ball security in the league when getting hit. True, the contract will look like a better deal in a few years due to NFL salary inflation. But that's an overpay any way you dice it, IMO.

Super happy for Jared though. Great guy that works hard, never misses time, never complains, and always takes the high road. He was treated very poorly by the Rams towards the end and was also made unfairly into a scapegoat, IMO. Goff deserves this payout. The Rams won the Super Bowl, so the trade was worth it, and I'd never give up #9, but it was big gamble, considering how good Goff is in his own right, and how many more years he, in theory, has in the tank than Stafford. You never know when a guy gets injured. Or plays until 40+. Fingers crossed both stay healthy and follow the Tom Brady longevity pattern!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If you are a shit franchise, who despite having a #1 overall QB, couldn't win a postseason game and suddenly you host a postseason game for the first time in more than 30 years AND win it, over that #1 QB you had, you might be forgiven a bit if you over react. Nobody knows the Lions future but it looks a damn side better than it did before Goff arrived. So they paid him a huge Thank You. Instead of dissecting the minutia of the deal, maybe we should look in the mirror and just say, "sure, okay, been there, done that. Hope it eventually works for you". And if we were in that same position (again) who could blame us if we did the same thing?

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
When i read this i thought about Lynch wincing over Purdy's 2025 demand.
My first thought as well.

I hope Purdy has one more decent rookie contract year.

So the Whiners go to cap hell when they finally find out he is a system guy.

We all know he is. Most of us should be able to recognize system QBs since we went through a time with our own. Until the system failed.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You must have forgotten Stafford injured his thumb badly early in that game. The real Goff
showed up against 9ers. Without lions 182 rushing yards the game wouldn't have been close.

No way he drives the team to game winning field goal with 42 seconds on the clock against the Bucs to move

Where Stafford with no running game, brings Rams back with 13 unanswered points in 4th to overcome a 17-7 deficit
A game where Stafford absolutely put the offense on his back and willed one of the greatest 4th Quarter winning drives in Ram history.

Why can't It be Goff vs Stafford?Just because Goff used to be a Ram he holds some kind of reverence??
I have nothing against Goff , but he is just a QB on another team to me. one I am glad we traded.

The truth is one of the reasons the Rams traded for Stafford and gave the Lions Goff and a bucket of gold
is exactly what I said under pressure he simply can't carry a offense by his self. Deer in headlights.

You've gone on a completely different tangent. Everybody acknowledges that Goff couldn't do what Stafford did in the 21 playoffs. Hell, not many qbs could. Why is it even brought up?

I was replying to your deer in the headlights post. That's all.

By the way, I had no idea Goff played poorly in the championship game. Did we watch different games?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll never understand why there are so many haters bitter about a QB we traded away. But whatever. That's a lot of money.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have always said this

When Goff is given 3 seconds - he is deadly

Less than 3 seconds then doh

But I still consider Goff a top 10 QB right now and deserves that Payday based on the going rate
Goff reminds me of Bulger a bit, albeit more talented.
Goff throws that medium crossing route as good or better than anyone in the league. Absolute darts.
Bulger has that throw down too and was the best in league at it when he was playing.
But, like Bulger, Goff does not have good deep touch and leaves plays out on the field.
All that non sense out of the way, Im happy for Goff.
Hope he can bring a title to Detroit at some point......when the Rams are in rebuild mode after Stafford of course.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
My God, you make it sound like every team has McVay & Ben Johnson.
Who was Ben johnson b4 goff made him relevant other than a complete nobody that lions fans didn't even know existed?

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

Yea..Stafford sure carried us in that playoff gm when he went 0-3 in the rz. He was elite between the 20s...in the rz he was the one who had the deer in the headlights look.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes.

I said exactly that.

When they built the line & O, he succeeded.

They were a shit team that had a massive influx of talent.

And.. nowhere did I say he was along for the ride.

If you can’t see the space he’s in, fine. Nowhere have I denigrated or insulted Goff… I like the young man.

So all these great QBs through the years with great teams around them, seen as the best qbs in the history of the league, don't get credit for their teams winning? No, they're considered great and that they led those teams to glory.

Is Goff the only qb in the history of the league that can only be known as a great qb if he can lead a dumpster fire to the playoffs? Otherwise he gets no credit by the likes of you for leading a franchise that hadn't won a playoff game for 40 years to a playoff win. That he managed to help them win two playoff games.

I'm going with he led them. You can keep your whacky ideas on that.

Tano

Legend
That brings up my prior post

Aikman who is a HOF QB was actually just so so since he had one of the best all-time OLs with a HOF receiver and HOF running back.

Okay.....

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Beyond the eye test, stats and results, how they are used by NFL head coaches and OCs says more than any fans "opinion". And how they are paid says even more. Opinions are formed emotionally, while how they are thought of by guys who's jobs depend on his performance speaks volumes. In Goff's case, 1st overall pick, 2 CCG, 1 SB, lots of wins, lots of great games, a starter for 2 franchises, paid extremely well by 2 franchises, seemimgly loved by team mates. Forgive me if I don't believe the emotionally driven opinions over the guys who are paid to build winning teams.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Jeebus.... Any thread with the "G" word even mentioned is gonna go on and on and on.......

And on and on and.........

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
No one shit on Goff.

With these histrionics, I’m out.

Have you read this thread?

There's a poster that literally stated ...
Goff was 'A pansy who will fill his pants in the biggest moment with a panic load.'

I realize it's a long thread but you posted multiple times on the same page as the above-post; and did so within 20 minutes of that post.

Status
Not open for further replies.