Derek Sherrod

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

manmaderam

The one and only
The packers just recently cut him. Now I know a lot of people criticize him since he's not the same after he broke his leg. Would be a decent backup I would think, especially with our beat up O-line.

I think we could sign him as G depth, especially if Joseph or someone doesn't improve. Sign him to the team, put Toomer on PS for LB depth and cut Devon Wylie or Emory Blake, since he was cut once already.

He's young enough where if it works we got a pretty solid deal.

Just wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
His salary is $1.275 M so I doubt he would get claimed on waivers. Maybe after he clears he is a guy that could be added for a minimum deal after that. Not sure how that works. He is only 25. That is good. But, that broken leg kept him out of all of 2012 and part of 2013. Sounds like a serious break or there were recurring issues. Made one start since getting drafted in 2011. A low risk addition for the off season, sure, why not. Not at $1.2 though. Really come down to mobility. He is huge but a huge T with bad mobility turns into a turnstile. If the leg has robbed him of mobility that is going to be tough.

manmaderam

The one and only
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with you about the salary. What's vet minimum?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
At $645K, I would say why not
As would I. The guy had the talent to be a 1st round pick just a few years back. At least give him a physical and see what might be there. This same philosophy landed us J. Barksdale.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We did some good things with Chris Williams. I was thinking this when I saw him, no claim, just hope to sign.

manmaderam

The one and only
It almost be like the Chris Williams experiment again.

Alan

Legend
The Packers don't have a good O-line so why would we want one of their castoffs? No thank you at any price.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He's damaged. He isn't the same player that was drafted.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
The guy I've watched this year has been doing impressions of a turnstile. I mean he's been really really bad. Terrible hands, slow feet, and he seems really slow to react. Like watching Wayne Hunter again.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I say give it shot, the guy is 25 and a former 1st rounder. We've done it before, Barksdale was a "cast-off" from the Raiders. We turned Shelley Smith and Chris Williams into semi-productive players who were then grabbed by other teams in FA.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Comparing Sherrod to Barksdale is erroneous. Barksdale wasn't coming off of a major injury, the Raiders just simply gave up on his development too soon.

I don't watch the Packers religiously, but when I have the only thing I've seen from Sherrod is bad....but I guess I've been wrong before.

manmaderam

The one and only
I say it wouldn't hurt. I mean what do we really have to lose? If it fails he's cut. If not a good signing

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Comparing Sherrod to Barksdale is erroneous. Barksdale wasn't coming off of a major injury, the Raiders just simply gave up on his development too soon.

I don't watch the Packers religiously, but when I have the only thing I've seen from Sherrod is bad....but I guess I've been wrong before.
Comparing the two may be erroneous, but Barksdale, Williams, Smith, all serve as an example of the Rams picking up unproductive lineman and getting something out of them. Where we have messed up is grabbing "established" lineman who are past their prime and under produce, Long, Dahl, Wells, and Joseph. I get that Sherrod might not be the same since his injury, but if we can get him at a low cost what's the harm?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Comparing the two may be erroneous, but Barksdale, Williams, Smith, all serve as an example of the Rams picking up unproductive lineman and getting something out of them. Where we have messed up is grabbing "established" lineman who are past their prime and under produce, Long, Dahl, Wells, and Joseph. I get that Sherrod might not be the same since his injury, but if we can get him at a low cost what's the harm?
I don't see harm necessarily, just think it'd be a waste of time and doesn't offer you more than what you already have.

Chris Williams is also a stretch. He may have started for us, but he just wasn't good. Dahl was a good player for us for a few years who fell off at the end.

How is Shelley Smith doing in Miami? I haven't really taken the time to check out how he's performed.

Davin Joseph was a former all pro that had an injury that we brought in...he probably draws the closest parallel to Sherrod as anyone being that the interest in Sherrod is that he is a former 1st rounder.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't see harm necessarily, just think it'd be a waste of time and doesn't offer you more than what you already have.

Chris Williams is also a stretch. He may have started for us, but he just wasn't good. Dahl was a good player for us for a few years who fell off at the end.

How is Shelley Smith doing in Miami? I haven't really taken the time to check out how he's performed.

Davin Joseph was a former all pro that had an injury that we brought in...he probably draws the closest parallel to Sherrod as anyone being that the interest in Sherrod is that he is a former 1st rounder.

Smith hasn't played for a while for the Dolphins. Week 2 or 3? Great as a run blocker, poor as a pass blocker, same as when he was in St. Louis.