Danny Trevathan's dirty hit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This play makes me think of John Lynch. That is exactly the kind of dirty play that Lynch made a living on. Dirty and cheap.

Now Lynch is running the whiners. I have no doubt that he will try and get away with everything dirty and cheap he can now up in the front office... just like he did on the field.

That play deserves more than just a fine.

fearsomefour

Legend
His actions say he intended to injure the receiver. No ifs, ands or buts, he meant to do harm to the guy, he didnt have to hit the guy in the face to put him down.
He was moving but ok.
Good to know we can climb inside others heads.

fearsomefour

Legend
This play makes me think of John Lynch. That is exactly the kind of dirty play that Lynch made a living on. Dirty and cheap.

Now Lynch is running the whiners. I have no doubt that he will try and get away with everything dirty and cheap he can now up in the front office... just like he did on the field.

He will get suslended I am sure.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lynch would take a cheap shit if he could get away with it you're right, this is something he would do.

He will get suslended I am sure.

He deserves it too. If the NFL wants to stop this crap, and they really need to stop it, then the punishment has to be more than 15K or whatever. Missing a game for the first time and more for the second or third times is a great idea.

He made the choice to skip tackling a guy that was going down and take the opportunity to smash into his face. That's not something that's cool with anyone.

One of Adams team mates was quoted saying "that's fucked up" about the hit so he may get a little fine himself for saying that.

One of these times someone spears a player they are going to hurt themselves, maybe that'll be the eye opener players need. Seeing one of their peers miss a few weks with a bad concussion, or end their own career.

@LACHAMP46 & @RAMBUSH Google this hit, everyone agrees it's dirty. The guy was a still target in the process of going down and he took advantage and went in head first with the crown of his helmet right to the guys facemask. He drew a bead right on his face and looked the hit in as he did it. Lowering his head at the last second to hit with the crown. He aimed at his face and didn't drop his head to hit with the crown until he knew whee to hit, he was watching as he was going down what height his face was so he could hit it.

I get it, violent game, hard hits.....I love the sport. But that is not part of the sport and has been illegal for years for a reason. And doing it in that situation and with the intent is awful of him.

@RamFan503 look at the vid again.......there are no refs in the picture........should an umpire and back judge be somewhere? There is no ref, ump or back judge in any of the shots.

Your point about making calls that aren't there then missing this is proof they need another guy on the field.

For stuff like this, they should go to a replay judge. If they can review every TD, they can spend some time reviewing questionable hits. There's a medical timeout so they have time. Even if it's 2 or 3 plays later, an ejection should still be a possible outcome based on review..

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Lynch would take a cheap crap if he could get away with it you're right, this is something he would do.

He deserves it too. If the NFL wants to stop this crap, and they really need to stop it, then the punishment has to be more than 15K or whatever. Missing a game for the first time and more for the second or third times is a great idea.

He made the choice to skip tackling a guy that was going down and take the opportunity to smash into his face. That's not something that's cool with anyone.

One of Adams team mates was quoted saying "that's freaked up" about the hit so he may get a little fine himself for saying that.

One of these times someone spears a player they are going to hurt themselves, maybe that'll be the eye opener players need. Seeing one of their peers miss a few weks with a bad concussion, or end their own career.
I like the idea of the suspension going up for each occurrence of this type of play. I think that this was intentional. Maybe it wasn't, but I feel strongly that it was. A message needs to be sent that this type of play is not acceptable. Unpaid suspension that go up with each occurrence sounds like a good place to start.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
jesus christ that's a scary hit.. coulda broke his neck

Which is exactly why hits like that done belong in any sport. Dude was being held in place, not like he was running and had any chance of dodging the hit. Trevathan wanted to injure a fellow NFL player, and should be suspended for a long time, maybe indefinitely, if the NFL really wants to rid the game of cheap shots/dirty hits whatever you want to call them they dont belong in the game.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I love hard hits. I love old school, slobberknocker, ear hole tackles. But this one was low rent. Adams was stood up, forward progress stopped. Levathan should have come in trying for the ball not the kill shot. It's not like Adams was changing elevation and head to head contact was a happenstance of changing angles. That's a play a guy makes when he's frustrated about the way the game is going and forgets his morals.

The Ramowl

Starter
As a European guy I watch a lot of rugby. I can guarantee that you will never see an intentional head to head tackle in rugby, ever.

I am not saying that I want the NFL to be rugby, but the helmet is definitely why guys go head to head and the reason why there are so many concussions in that sport. Give less protection and players will calculate contact to avoid hurting themselves, which most of the time will make contact less harmful for the opponent (not always though, still a lot of concussions in rugby.)

Edit : I think Trevathan should be banned for the season. I absolutely believe this is a kill shot and it can have long lasting and damaging consequences for Adams brain. This can not be tolerated and the NFL has to send a strong message.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Packers are a bunch of pussies for not starting a riot after that. Levathan should have been ass up in the grass after that bullshit.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Good thing we have the full time refs back in control. How can you call a bunch of crap that didn't happen and not call THAT? Is the NFL on a mission of self destruction?

i don't think so man. we are just overly critical of a game that is imperfect because it's in the hands of the human element. As long as that happens there will be missed calls.

Also the more they try to perfect the game the more the game is going to be ruined. Games already take about 30 minutes too long because of all the stoppage.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I asked 20 guys at work today what their opinions we're about the hit. The all said it was dirty. Two guys that I played hockey with that are die-hard Chicago guys said it was a dirty hit. One went as far as to mention, "Even you (speaking to me) wouldn't hit anybody like that!" He's kind of joking, kind of not...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Packers are a bunch of pussies for not starting a riot after that. Levathan should have been ass up in the grass after that bullcrap.

I think they were more concerned about Adams well being. The dumbest thing I've seen is when the whole team rushes in and they start wrestling with the opposition over the injured player.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
One of the dirtiest hits I've ever seen. Makes Tatum on Stingley look like an accidental bump.

Trying to think of a more blatant one... Turkey Jones rolling Bradshaw onto his head... or Jim McMahon getting body slammed by Martin long after the ball was thrown...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i

Eyes on his striking target...and Adams wasn't "going down"....not easily...he was spinning around...I thought he was gonna break out of it...

Full speed, flying to the ball...guys still fighting for extra yards...and you expect a linebacker to pull up? Pull off that hit? I'd be curious to know what college Lavaithon went to?

Trevathan went to Kentucky. He was a great college player. I've always been a fan of his. But that was clearly an illegal and dirty play.

Debacled

Starter
Don't think it was intentional per say, but you gotta be smarter than to line a dude up who is defenseless like that with a shot to the face.

Get in his head. The game was getting chippy, they were getting stomped on (because their offense was turrible). Dude was probably mad and split second had the idea "I'm gonna smoke this guy". With how quickly is happened I cant think he was wanting to do more than anything but light Adams up.

That said there is no place in the game for taking a shot like that at his head. Had he gone lower into Adam's ribs or put his hat on the ball nobody would have been saying anything. Definitely suspendable, but I don't think that was some Rodney Harrison level play.