Cowboys sessions beneficial for road-weary Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Cowboys sessions beneficial for road-weary Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d1dff8da-5120-5683-b1ca-c6d388c129f4.html

OXNARD, CALIF. • It may fall into the category of oh, by the way. But before the brawl that ended it all, and beyond the “LA Rams” pep rally aspects of the practices with Dallas, the Rams did get good work with the Cowboys for two days.

“That’s a good football team over there,” coach Jeff Fisher said at the conclusion of Tuesday’s practice. “They won 12 games (in 2014). We’re a young team. We matched up and we got some things done. There were some great 1-on-1 battles and some great team efforts and great special teams work.”

There was also one great brawl that brought an early end to the proceedings Tuesday evening. This wasn’t a case of just a couple of players losing their temper, flailing at each other until teammates came to break it up.

It spread like a California wildfire, spilling over to a new area just when peace was restored in one spot. But there will be no NFL investigation and no player fines from league headquarters as a result of the melee.

On-field player conduct at practice is considered a club matter by the NFL, because training camp and team practices are team operated. Judging from his comments Tuesday, it doesn’t sound like Fisher is contemplating fines or discipline.

“There were probably a number of things that happened out there,” Fisher said. “Some not intentional; some intentional. We had a practice tempo that we had agreed upon, and for the most part we were OK.

“Both teams have young players that are trying to make the team, and sometimes they go beyond what’s expected or what the rest of the guys are doing. So we’ll look at it, but we’ll move on. I’m glad nobody got hurt.”

Even with the wild way the joint practices ended, Fisher said he would love to come back and practice against the Cowboys again. Because the practices were intense, Fisher told his players and told reporters it was like squeezing a fifth preseason game into the team’s camp schedule.

“I believe we got better these last two days,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “I really do. I think we got some really good work in against obviously a playoff team.”

A couple of the Cowboys’ big names – wide receiver Dez Bryant and left tackle Tyron Smith – didn’t take part in the joint practices because of injuries. (Although Bryant did make himself, uh, available for the brawl.) But there was still plenty of star power on the field for the Cowboys working against the Rams.

“We were just star-struck to be on the field with them,” defensive end Chris Long joked.

Well, Tony Romo is one of the game’s elite quarterbacks, tight end Jason Witten probably is a future Hall of Famer, and even without Smith the Cowboys have a talented offensive line.

But no matter who was on the other side of the line of scrimmage, the fact that it was somebody different was beneficial for the Rams.

“When you do for instance things like one-on-ones and all that, when you do it against your own team you start to learn the tendencies of your own guys,” Laurinaitis said. “You know what routes they’re really good at, and what they’re not good at.

“When you go out here blind against guys that you don’t see every day, it makes you get that much better at what you’re doing.”

Beyond that, as quarterback Nick Foles pointed out at the start of the trip, being on the road together can be a team-bonding experience. The Rams, who were scheduled to arrive back in St. Louis on Wednesday night, have been out of town for a week.

Even with the work accomplished against the Cowboys, the Rams haven’t practiced much in the last week and a half. They had a scheduled players’ day off Aug. 12. Then came a travel day to Oakland, followed by the Friday preseason opener against the Raiders. Last Saturday was a players’ day off; Sunday was a walk-through and film review.

Then came the Monday and Tuesday practices with Dallas. So it came as a surprise that Fisher called off Wednesday’s practice in Oxnard, which was supposed to be a Rams-only session. After a Wednesday walk-through in Oxnard, followed by a visit to nearby Point Mugu Naval Air Station, the team flew back to St. Louis.

When they take the field Thursday evening at Rams Park, it will mark only their third practice in nine days. That will be followed by a scheduled day off Friday, and then a travel day Saturday to Nashville for Sunday night’s preseason contest with the Tennessee Titans.

“We’ve got a tired team,” Fisher said, explaining his decision to cancel Wednesday’s work. “We’re gonna emphasize recovery.”

Perhaps it’s as much recovery from being road weary, as being practice weary. Even the trip to Oxnard was an hour commute for the team each day.

But Laurinaitis wasn’t complaining about the infrequency of practices.

“I mean, that’s what Coach does best,” Laurinaitis said. “He always finds a way to kind of get us our legs back. He always says you come into camp in the best shape of your life, and then you kind of break down. How can we get back up to that? So that’s just kind of one of those things — he’s trying to get our legs back to where we were.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher, Rams avoid California dreaming
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_61172264-a715-5864-b399-f98ac63c94f5.html

OXNARD, CALIF. • After being showered with love by Los Angeles Rams fans, the team will be back on the practice field Thursday in Earth City in solitude.

The last public practice for fans in St. Louis took place Aug. 11. The silence of Rams Park minus fans is always jolting this time of year, a stark reminder that the regular season is fast approaching and cutdown days are approaching.

Next year at this time, the Rams could be holding training camp at the same Oxnard facility they shared with the Dallas Cowboys for two days. That’s if owner Stan Kroenke get his way on relocation to Los Angeles. In that sense, the entire Oxnard exercise could’ve amounted to a dry run.

Once more with feeling, coach Jeff Fisher reiterated that the trip to the Los Angeles area was all about getting his team ready for the 2015 regular season.

“It has nothing do with (moving to) LA or anything else,” he said. “We were really happy we had quite a group of fans here. But from a practicality standpoint and a convenience standpoint, this worked out the best for us.”

But while the Rams basked in chants of “LA Rams!, LA Rams!” in Oxnard, many in St. Louis seethed at what they regarded as another move by Kroenke to alienate the fan base.

While highly appreciative of the support from the few thousand LA Rams fans who showed up Monday and Tuesday, Rams players — at least publicly — tried to stay out of it.

“All you can do is focus on your craft,” tight end Jared Cook said. “You’re here to play football. You’re not here to make executive decisions.”

Defensive end Chris Long said: “We’re appreciative of our fans wherever they are. Obviously they did a great job of coming to support us here. We have great fans in St. Louis, too. We’re not here to choose sides. We’re here to play football.”

And from linebacker James Laurinaitis: “To be honest with you, I don’t really think about it. I really just relish this trip as a way for us to get better.

VISIT FROM ROSEY

Hall of Famer Rosey Grier, part of the famed Rams defensive line known as the Fearsome Foursome, took in Tuesday’s practice and spoke to the D-line unit.“He just had a really good message for us,” Long said. “You know, cherish the time. He really enjoyed his time with the Fearsome Foursome. And him being the last one left, it’s pretty special to get to meet a guy like that who’s a big part of our history.”Grier advised the players to take care of their finances and also emphasized the importance of good sportsmanship on the field.

VISITING THE TROOPS

Wednesday’s visit with the troops at Point Mugu Naval Air Station was planned all along, Fisher said, long before he decided to cancel the day’s practice.“Once we agreed to come here (to Oxnard), we kind of looked around and said: ‘Where are they?’ And found them.”The team also flew out of Point Mugu on their return to St. Louis, adding a convenience factor to the visit.

“To be able to be with the military, any time we do it — when we do it back in St. Louis it’s one of my favorite things at the end of camp when we go over there (to Scott Air Force Base),” Laurinaitis said. “I mean, it just puts life in perspective. We’re out here playing a game that we love, and they’re the ones that are defending our country.”

Laurinaitis said the players should be getting autographs from the troops instead of vice versa.

LONG’S BACK

After missing the preseason opener last week in Oakland, as well as most of the first two weeks of training camp because of back problems, Long returned to practice in Oxnard. He looked especially quick working against the Dallas offensive line Tuesday.“Thank you,” Long teased. “Put that in the paper. You know, I feel good. I dropped some weight this year to try to be quicker. I’m not 23 any more, so it’s helped me a lot. I feel like playing at that (lighter) weight I can be destructive and really get off the ball and cause problems.”Long, 30, is in the 260-pound area after being listed about five to 10 pounds heavier in previous seasons.

RamBill

Legend
The Rams finished their Southern California trip by doing something good off the field. Head coach Jeff Fisher took his team to Point Mugu, a Naval base near Oxnard, California where the Rams had trained with and against the Dallas Cowboys the past two days. Rams players signed autographs and posed for pictures with the service men and women at Point Mugu. Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis said it should have been the opposite, we the Rams should have been getting the soldiers’ autographs.

Watch Rams Visit Naval Base

RamBill

Legend
Watch Dani Klupenger and Myles Simmons breakdown the third week of Training Camp from Oxnard, CA. They talk about the loss of EJ Gaines, Tru Johnson’s strong camp so far, Claiborne a surprise rookie so far, Foles looking good in the Raider game, the rookie right side of the O-line held up pretty well in the Raider game, the injuries to Saffold and Bates, plus more. Includes some highlights from the Rams-Cowboys practices.

Watch Rams Report: Week 3

RamBill

Legend
Excellent Rams-Cowboys 2 Day Practice Coverage

Both Videos Are From Dallas Cowboys.com

The Cowboys looked solid in 1-on-1 drills against the Rams. Watch as Rob Phillips and Bryan Broaddus bring you all the action. (22:20)

Watch Rams-Cowboys Practice Coverage: Day 1

============

Nick Eatman and Bryan Broaddus bring you some of the action between the Cowboys and Rams final practice. (15:34)

Watch Rams-Cowboys Practice Coverage: Day 2

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When they take the field Thursday evening at Rams Park, it will mark only their third practice in nine days.

“We’ve got a tired team,” Fisher said, explaining his decision to cancel Wednesday’s work. “We’re gonna emphasize recovery.”

“I mean, that’s what Coach does best,”[/B] Laurinaitis said. “He always finds a way to kind of get us our legs back. He always says you come into camp in the best shape of your life, and then you kind of break down. How can we get back up to that? So that’s just kind of one of those things — he’s trying to get our legs back to where we were.”

So, I've seem references to it and these snippets made me think.

Jeff Fisher is often described as a "player's coach". Clearly, guys like Laurinaitis appreciate his TC methods. Many players have professed their love for coach Fisher.

But... are they effective? 3 practices in 9 days. Giving them a day off, when they had planned on practicing.

Did they spend too much time flying around and visiting military installations? (not that there is anything wrong with that at all!) But, they have them in STL and that would take less time away from practicing.)

How many other multi-team practices are being held this year? I dunno.

IIRC, Fisher has done similar things his prior TCs (reversing scheduled practice to days off). I just don't hear of any other team's cancelling practices. Maybe I'm not reading enough reports?

And I get it about being a player's coach and all... and I get the concept that "player's coaches" can result in players wanting to run through brick walls for you.

But can being a "player's coach" have a negative effect? Can the players become complacent?

Where does fearing the HC come in? Can players both love and fear their HC? Is that more effective?

I don't have any answers to this... but, when this thought popped into my head, I began to think back to some of the most successful coaches in NFL history. Guys like Lombardi... Allen... Shula... Cowher... Grant... Stram...

So, I say to myself... "self, times change... who's successful today?" Well, I think about guys like Belichik... Harbaugh (pick one)... Coughlin...

My take on these guys is that player's both loved and feared them. But I think they feared them more. Yes, just my impression here... but I don't get the impression the player's fear Jeff Fisher much.

No, I'm not in the locker room and hearing everything Fisher says... and there is certainly more than one way to be a successful head coach in the NFL.. but it's just my impression (just mine here) that perhaps Jeff Fisher leans too much on being the player's friend.

No mini-camp... cancelling practices (again, I seem to recall this happening in his prior years with the Rams)... 3 practices in 9 days. Is that normal? I dunno.

I love it that the player's love him and all... don't get me wrong. But can that actually work against him?

We really need the Rams to make that leap this year. Is Jeff Fisher's "player's coach" method the way to get us there?

Just a thought I had.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
So, I've seem references to it and these snippets made me think.

Jeff Fisher is often described as a "player's coach". Clearly, guys like Laurinaitis appreciate his TC methods. Many players have professed their love for coach Fisher.

But... are they effective? 3 practices in 9 days. Giving them a day off, when they had planned on practicing.

Did they spend too much time flying around and visiting military installations? (not that there is anything wrong with that at all!) But, they have them in STL and that would take less time away from practicing.)

How many other multi-team practices are being held this year? I dunno.

IIRC, Fisher has done similar things his prior TCs (reversing scheduled practice to days off). I just don't hear of any other team's cancelling practices. Maybe I'm not reading enough reports?

And I get it about being a player's coach and all... and I get the concept that "player's coaches" can result in players wanting to run through brick walls for you.

But can being a "player's coach" have a negative effect? Can the players become complacent?

Where does fearing the HC come in? Can players both love and fear their HC? Is that more effective?

I don't have any answers to this... but, when this thought popped into my head, I began to think back to some of the most successful coaches in NFL history. Guys like Lombardi... Allen... Shula... Cowher... Grant... Stram...

So, I say to myself... "self, times change... who's successful today?" Well, I think about guys like Belichik... Harbaugh (pick one)... Coughlin...

My take on these guys is that player's both loved and feared them. But I think they feared them more. Yes, just my impression here... but I don't get the impression the player's fear Jeff Fisher much.

No, I'm not in the locker room and hearing everything Fisher says... and there is certainly more than one way to be a successful head coach in the NFL.. but it's just my impression (just mine here) that perhaps Jeff Fisher leans too much on being the player's friend.

No mini-camp... cancelling practices (again, I seem to recall this happening in his prior years with the Rams)... 3 practices in 9 days. Is that normal? I dunno.

I love it that the player's love him and all... don't get me wrong. But can that actually work against him?

We really need the Rams to make that leap this year. Is Jeff Fisher's "player's coach" method the way to get us there?

Just a thought I had.

Excellent post Rmfnit.

You expressed my thoughts so completely that I could have practically written it myself.

Such a young team of mostly twenty somethings in the best shape of their lives.

And to worry about a 1 hour bus ride or flight time to fly 1500 damned miles? It's embarrassing, frankly. Hell, many people have longer than a 1 hour commute just to get to work every day! It's not that big a deal.

If Fisher's team gets off to a fast start, then fine, I'll STFU. But if they start off 1-3 again, well...

There's gonna be some "I told you so's" from this old fashioned fan.