Cordarelle Patterson on trade block

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
For a late round pick heck yea. I'm with Jrry, teach him how to pass block and use him as a 3rd down back.

I'm sure everyone here remembers him gashing us on that run play this last season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Depends on the price. If he's really cheap...yes. He's got major value as a KR alone. Plus, I agree with those above that are saying move him to HB. Teach the kid how to pass protect and you have the best 3rd down HB in the league. Plus, you have a very dangerous change of pace HB.

OK jrry you want to take a guy who cannot learn the plays at the position he has been playing for many years and put him at a different position and try to teach him that new position that is every bit as complex?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK jrry you want to take a guy who cannot learn the plays at the position he has been playing for many years and put him at a different position and try to teach him that new position that is every bit as complex?

Yep. Because it's not as complex. The HB position is based a lot more on instincts. The most complex part would be learning how to pass protect and the protections.

Yes, I'd take that chance on a guy with his skills in space. His primary value would be as a KR either ways but you might as well try and see if you can develop the kid at HB. He's certainly shown skills with the ball in his hands.

WestCoastRam

Legend
For a late round pick heck yea. I'm with Jrry, teach him how to pass block and use him as a 3rd down back.

I'm sure everyone here remembers him gashing us on that run play this last season.

It's not like pass blocking is one of the hardest things for a running back to do or anything... ;)

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Don't understand why they would want him already having Austin...I just think they're too similar in their skill sets...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'll never forget reading on this forum when we were considering drafting him that someone said "he's as dumb as a box of rocks" and would never learn the offense. Now I'm pretty dumb too so I cant remember who it was - but well said that man.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yep. Because it's not as complex. The HB position is based a lot more on instincts. The most complex part would be learning how to pass protect and the protections.

Yes, I'd take that chance on a guy with his skills in space. His primary value would be as a KR either ways but you might as well try and see if you can develop the kid at HB. He's certainly shown skills with the ball in his hands.

The Vikings are willing to off him to another team because he isn't working out. I don't want that guy protecting the QB, or being the last line of defense against a guy blitzing.

No.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Vikings are willing to off him to another team because he isn't working out. I don't want that guy protecting the QB, or being the last line of defense against a guy blitzing.

No.

Remind me...when Mason was struggling with his pass blocking...how much playing time did he see? Why do you assume that he's going to see the field in situations like that if he can't block?

It's simply taking a cheap flier on an unique talent in hopes you can find a better way to utilize him. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I'm certainly willing to try if the price is right...especially with his special teams value.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Remind me...when Mason was struggling with his pass blocking...how much playing time did he see? Why do you assume that he's going to see the field in situations like that if he can't block?

It's simply taking a cheap flier on an unique talent in hopes you can find a better way to utilize him. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I'm certainly willing to try if the price is right...especially with his special teams value.

But I'd argue his talent isn't unique, I'd argue that he was more gifted than his college competition but not his NFL competition.

I could be wrong.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I'd argue his talent isn't unique, I'd argue that he was more gifted than his college competition but not his NFL competition.

I could be wrong.

I think his talent is unique. The better question is if it can be utilized at this level. He's just a poor technician and not an intelligent football player at WR. But there's no denying he's incredibly gifted with the ball in his hands. IMO, that's why he needs to end up at HB. I just don't ever see him becoming a reliable enough route runner to thrive at WR. But HB is such an instinctive position, you just hope he has the instincts and is capable enough mentally to learn the things necessary to become a competent pass protector.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/0ap2000000290458/Cordarrelle-Patterson-33-yard-TD-run-FOR-SOCIAL

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000301981/Cordarrelle-Patterson-35-yard-touchdown-run

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000298077/Cordarrelle-Patterson-12-yard-run

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000305142/WK-17-Can-t-Miss-Play-Patterson-gets-loose

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000390555/Wk-1-Can-t-Miss-Play-Flash-Dance

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I've been thinking more and more that Tavon should play RB. He just seems like a natural fit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been thinking more and more that Tavon should play RB. He just seems like a natural fit.

The problem with Tavon at HB is his size. Patterson doesn't really have the same issue.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The problem with Tavon at HB is his size. Patterson doesn't really have the same issue.
Tavon has proven to be very durable when he takes hits. He always pops right back up after getting tackled. I know he doesn't have the weight but the dude is actually pretty thick muscle wise. I think he's bigger then Marshall Faulk ever was. He just has a small frame. Obviously it will never happen and we're just speculating, but I think he would be better suited at running back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon has proven to be very durable when he takes hits. He always pops right back up after getting tackled. I know he doesn't have the weight but the dude is actually pretty thick muscle wise. I think he's bigger then Marshall Faulk ever was. He just has a small frame. Obviously it will never happen and we're just speculating, but I think he would be better suited at running back.

I think he's better suited for being a WR. Being able to take a few hits a game is far different than the beating you take at HB. And I'd hate to see us relegate a talent like Austin to a change of pace role.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He's about 35 pounds lighter than Faulk was, he's nowhere near that.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He's about 35 pounds lighter than Faulk was, he's nowhere near that.
Like I said, weight wise, no. But that doesn't always mean everything. Some people just don't put on pounds after they gain muscle.

jap

Legend
Tavon doing punt returns and Cordarelle doing kickoff returns? Would the league allow this or would the Rams' return units be declared too dangerous and illegal? :sneaky::LOL:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
No.
No more freaking projects.

Leave Barrett Jones alone!!!!

image.jpg