Compensatory Draft Picks Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
After the first few days of big contracts and talking points, FA is calming down. Next will come the 2nd tear signings (players including Chris Long and James L). As things stand currently, I am wondering if the Rams could end up with 4 further picks between rounds 3 and 5 in this years (deep) draft

Janoris = 3rd round compensation
Rodney = 3rd or 4th?
Chris = 4th or 5th?
James L = probable 4th?

Can anyone shed some light on my predictions? Rodney's deal is for $35 million with only $15 guaranteed. How do they calculate the picks, will it depend on the 1st year's salary?

Answers please

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The browns will be drowning in high comp picks in 2017.

Shawnbb158

Starter
Can you even get a compensatory pick if you flat out release a player like we did long and jl55?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I forget how this works. Aren't the comp picks awarded to teams that lost UFA last year? And the comp picks we gain for losing JJ and Mcleod will be in next year draft?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I forget how this works. Aren't the comp picks awarded to teams that lost UFA last year? And the comp picks we gain for losing JJ and Mcleod will be in next year draft?

Yes. We have to hope jj and McLeod are all pros this season. That will mean 3rd round picks for the Rams hopefully.

But when the giants play the Rams we need jj to get burned a few times.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes, they would be 2017 picks. From what I've seen, the Rams are unlikely to get any picks for 2016.

Keep in mind that the picks are related to compensatible FAs signed away from the team (so not JL or Long, since they were cut, not FA by their contracts expiring) vs FAs signed by the Rams (again, players cut by a team don't count). So who the Rams sign will affect this. But unless the Rams sign Fitzgerald, it's likely that the Rams will have good picks in 2017 - and starting next years the picks will be able to be traded.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes. We have to hope jj and McLeod are all pros this season. That will mean 3rd round picks for the Rams hopefully.

But when the giants play the Rams we need jj to get burned a few times.

Talk about a conflict of interests.