Chris Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Everyone loves Chris Long the person. He's an every man.
But there's no reason to think that they couldn't upgrade his position after this season.
This year? Absolutely not. Next year? Why not.

fearsomefour

Legend
But there's no reason to think that they couldn't upgrade his position after this season.
May be easier said than done.
Long does not put up huge sack numbers but he does get a lot of good consistent pressure.
The knock on him when he came in was his ability vs. the run. Something he has gotten much better at. When a guy is a solid vs. the run, a team leader and is up towards the top of the league in QB pressures....he is a keeper to me.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Let's wait to see what happens this season. Chris... stay healthy, play hard, get this team to the playoffs. Then we'll see about what 2016 and beyond brings for you.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm afraid that Cl may be getting to the age where injuries are going to be more of a problem for him.
I hope not but time wears on all and especially a speed rusher/high effort guy.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm ready to find his successor and move on after 2015. He's never had more than 35 tackles in a season. He has never come up big in big time game defining moments either IMO. He's just average now IMO. I don't think there is any drop off between him and William Hayes. Unless they are in love with Ethan Westbrooks, draft a guy this year and develop him for the LE job next year. Long's money can be used to sign Brockers long term and put a little in the bank for when Donald is gonna get stupid money.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
freak Wagoner. let him play out 2015 and see what happens
Exactly right! You can't measure Chris's Intangibles, what he brings to the team other than his play!! I want him to retire a Ram PERIOD!!!!

Moostache

Rookie
Long and Lauranitis are both paid elite-level money for mid-level production...Long less so than JL55.
Long's effort and personality cannot make up for the fact that he commits so heavily to the pass rush at times that he leaves the edge wide open. He is not good against screens and draws and he is unfortunately not getting home for the sack very often either any more. He does provide serviceable pressure opposite Quinn, but "serviceable" is available for fewer cap dollars...

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
People act like a talent like Long is easily replaceable and comes around every year. I guess they will find out one day.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
People act like a talent like Long is easily replaceable and comes around every year. I guess they will find out one day.

Exactly. Every one claims we have the talent to be a top 5 defensive team. But apparently outside of Quinn and Donald, we are staffed with average replaceable players. JL, CL, Dunbar, Ogletree, etc. There's a disconnect there I think.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Damn. This really hurts to hear. Chris Long is one of my favorite players.

RamBill

Legend
Chris Long could be heading into his last year in St. Louis
Posted by Michael David Smith

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ld-be-heading-into-his-last-year-in-st-louis/

No NFL team has invested more resources in its defensive line than the Rams. But the centerpiece of that defensive line may be heading into his last season in St. Louis.

Chris Long, the Rams’ 2008 first-round draft pick who has developed into a very good defensive end, could be looking at a make-or-break year in 2015. Nick Wagoner of ESPN writes that unless Long has a big year in 2015, the Rams may decide he’s not worth the money and release him in 2016.

The money the Rams have invested in Long is substantial: Last year he counted a whopping $17.9 million against their cap despite playing in just six games and finishing the season with a grand total of one sack. This year his cap hit declines but is still a hefty $12.5 million, and next year his cap hit is $14.25 million. If Long isn’t playing at a Pro Bowl level in 2016, that $14.25 million would be hard to justify in 2016.

The Rams have an expensive defensive end on the other side of the line in Robert Quinn, and they’ve spent first-round picks on defensive tackles Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers. On top of that, last month they signed defensive tackle Nick Fairley. Add it all up, and the Rams have invested a lot in the defensive line.

Eventually, teams that invest that much in one position group find that they have to allocate some of their resources elsewhere. Next year may be the time that the Rams decide they need to spend on other positions, and move on from Long.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If they find a replacement for Long in this draft it wont likely be at the top, unless Fowler somehow falls into their lap. I think the rest of the top lot are too small.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Would we draft Randy Gregory if he fell to 10 or is he projected to fall lower?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Lots of options with Long. Let's see what happens this year. At some point, you have to move on from every player. Maybe it will be next year, maybe not. I love Long but I can see his ceiling as a player/leader in the distance these days. That wasn't the case before.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Chris Long is still playing at a high level and nothing indicates he can't for a few more years. Sack down? Yes, but the Rams have brought in Quinn, Brockers, Donald, Olgeltree, and other so I would expect his sacks to be down. The Rams have other needs besides replacing a very good player. If they draft his eventual replacement now instead of shoring up more needed positions then any hope of winning a super Bowl is gone because they will always be looking to replace aging players.
And JL, CL, and Olgeltree are not average replaceable players, far from it.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
You HAVE to look at it. Everybody loves what he's done to help bring the team closer to a championship. Let's see how he does this year, but the biz side says"what can we do with that 14 M of space to improve the team?".

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
They do that with every player. Everyone who isn't in the spotlight on ESPN constantly is journeyman level as far as most people are considered. It's that weird devaluing that leaves a lot of people slack jawed and wide eyed when a player goes on to be great for other teams while we're left with a rift that should have easily been replaced since it's not like he was a hall of famer or anything.