Chip Kelly’s Trade For Sam Bradford Is Paying Off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/12/14/chip-kelly-sam-bradford-3/

Ugh. Did Kelly actually know that Foles was never going to be good even after that 2013 season?

------------------------------------------------------

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) —
On March 10th, 2015 — approximately two short months after he received complete personnel control — Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly controversially sent Nick Foles, a fourth-round pick, and a 2016 second-round pick to the St. Louis Rams for Sam Bradford and a fifth-rounder.

Bradford, the former No. 1 overall pick and Heisman Trophy winner at Oklahoma, had played in just seven total games in 2013 and 2014 after back-to-back ACL tears. Kelly knew a potential turnaround in Philly, for the now 28-year-old QB, would take some time. He also knew that Bradford’s talent would eventually pay off.

“I think it happens with any quarterback,” Kelly told the 94WIP Morning Show on Monday. “This isn’t an easy game where you can go out there and give me a couple reps, let me toss the ball around and then I’m gonna go in and play like an All-Pro quarterback. I think we knew the talent that Sam had, but it takes anybody time to get acclimated. You look at who are the best quarterbacks in the league and look how long they’ve played in their system.

“Aaron Rodgers has got 10 years in, Tom Brady’s got almost 15 years in,” Kelly continued. “Drew Brees, you know look at guys that are playing really well. Andy Dalton is playing really well now for Cincinnati, but he’s in year five. Especially with that position, it takes time.”

So what about Foles, who was 14-4 under Kelly?

“But we also know you can take all the time you want,” Kelly said, “But if the guy doesn’t have the requisite talent then time is not gonna be an answer.”

While Kelly may have understood the patience required with Bradford, Eagles fans did not — especially after his 10-10, 121 yard, three touchdown preseason performance at Lambeau Field.

After his first seven regular season games in Kelly’s offense, Bradford struggled, throwing nine touchdowns to 10 interceptions. More importantly, his team was just 3-4. Then on Novemver 15th, one week after an impressive walk off overtime win in Dallas to get back to .500, Bradford injured his shoulder in the third quarter of an eventual crushing one-point loss to the Miami Dolphins.

Bradford would miss the next two games and the Eagles would go on to lose both contests by an embarrassing combined score of 90-31 with Mark Sanchez at the helm. The Eagles dropped to 4-7 and “fire Chip Kelly” became a popular opinion among talking heads and Twitter timelines in Philadelphia.

In Week 13 — in a near-impossible situation on the road against the New England Patriots — Bradford made his return, throwing two touchdowns and no interceptions in a shocking 35-28 Eagles upset on December 6th. On Sunday, back at Lincoln Financial Field, Bradford — despite plenty of dropped passes by a receiving corps that has led the league in that notorious department — had one of his most accurate games as an Eagle leading his team to a 23-20 win over the Bills.

All of the sudden, in a suspect NFC East, the 6-7 Eagles control their own destiny when it comes to a division championship.

“We’ve seen him grow on a weekly basis,” Kelly said of his quarterback. “I’ve seen him get better. I think he’s done a really good job at protecting the football. Yeah, I thought he threw the ball outstanding yesterday — we’ve gotta catch it better. But I thought Sam did a great job. He scrambled for a couple — he’s not a guy that we’re gonna have designed quarterback runs for, but he kept a couple — we had a roll out, no one was open. He got forward and got positive yards for us. I think he’s getting better and better each week, which is a positive as we’re in the month of December right now.”

With three crucial regular season games remaining in his first season in Philly, Bradford has transformed from an injury-riddled question mark into the leader of the Eagles’ offense.

In fact, the Eagles are 6-2 in Bradford’s last eight games. Over his last four starts (3-1), Bradford has completed 80 of 123 passes (65.0-percent), for 898 yards, five touchdowns, and one controversial interception, compiling a 96.9 rating.

“I think more than anything, as opposed to changing anything on the field, I think the past couple weeks I have just tried to provide leadership to this group,” Bradford told reporters after beating the Bills. “I don’t think you can let what’s happened in the past affect the way you prepare for a game or alter your style.”

“I think everyone looks to him as a leader,” tight end Zach Ertz said on Sunday. “The past couple of games, he kind of stepped up before the game and delivered an unbelievable message to us. I think he was getting there earlier in the year and now he has kind of established himself as a leader. The value of him to this team is second to none.”

Even the skeptical fans are coming around too, as about 80-percent voted Monday on the 94WIP Mike & Ike Show Radio.com Poll question, that they want Bradford back for at least next season. Kelly does too.

“We’ve always wanted Sam here,” Kelly said. “We wouldn’t have traded for him if we thought he was going to be here for a year.”

Bradford is still hoping this season goes well into January, and maybe even miraculously, February.

As for Foles? He was benched in St. Louis for Case Keenum after eight games. The Rams are 5-8 and Foles’ numbers — 56.4 completion percentage, 2,052 yards, 7 TDs, 10 INTs, 69.0 QB rating — are far from imposing.

FRO

Legend
The trade has been a failure. Foles is one of the worst QBs I've seen. Ugh the life of a Rams fan.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno about that, they have a crappy record and they are in a crappy division with Bradford.

I've watched Bradford play a few times this year and he still isn't that great. Without that defense and special team bailing them out, they'd have a worse record.

To me, the trade was in our favor. A 2nd rounder and cap space. Who knows we might get a good player with that pick.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The trade has been a failure. Foles is one of the worst QBs I've seen. Ugh the life of a Rams fan.

Dude imagine Bradford behind the worst OL he has ever played behind........because that's what this is..........and he would look terrible and frankly I doubt if he would have made it through the hits.

The trade is a win because of the salary dump and draft pick. At least.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
“I think everyone looks to him as a leader,” tight end Zach Ertz said on Sunday.

This is what surprises me the most. :confused: As poor as Foles has played at times, this is the first time in many seasons I haven't had to fear our QB's knee going out during a game. That in itself makes the trade worthwhile for me.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford could have put the game away and threw an int then took a terrible sack which gave buffalo better field position.
Sure he's playing better than Foles, but so is Blaine Gabbert. Point is, he has been pretty disappointing in his own right and the the Eagles have a big decision about re-signing him

FRO

Legend
Dude imagine Bradford behind the worst OL he has ever played behind........because that's what this is..........and he would look terrible and frankly I doubt if he would have made it through the hits.

The trade is a win because of the salary dump and draft pick. At least.
Not really. He had one year left on his contract. Now we are stuck with Foles' bad contract. I would trade a second round pick for a starting caliber QB.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
so fucking ridiculous. i always hated this trade and knew in my gut Kelly knew exactly what he was doing. say what you want about him getting over his head this year turning the offense upside down but he knows quarterbacks and that was obvious. why would you get rid of your pro bowl QB after playing just half a bad season in 2014 before getting injured. what? did Fisher think Kelly got cold feet on Foles after a couple bad games? jesus... you look like an idiot Fisher. and for anyone who says Bradford would've gotten hurt anyway with our Oline or play just as bad as Foles is full of crap and speculation. Bradford on a bad knee (like Palmer) is still faster than Foles and can still read a defense a lot better than Foles and has a quick release unlike Foles which is something Boras is now trying to do. and even if Bradford got injured guess what, we're still using our backup now and Foles is sitting on the freakin bench with an extension! unbelievable. between this and the Oline Fisher has completely shit the bed and wasted an elite defense. Bradford could've gotten us at LEAST 3 more wins in all those close games Foles shit the bed. at least bradford wouldve checked it down rather than throwing up bullshit right into the defenses hands just giving it away

FRO

Legend
Bradford could have put the game away and threw an int then took a terrible sack which gave buffalo better field position.
Sure he's playing better than Foles, but so is Blaine Gabbert. Point is, he has been pretty disappointing in his own right and the the Eagles have a big decision about re-signing him
The interception hit his TE in the hands. The sack was bad. From reading articles it sounds like Sam has turned it on in recent weeks.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Ill-cary-you...if-it-breaks-my-back-and-heart....jpg

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The interception hit his TE in the hands. The sack was bad. From reading articles it sounds like Sam has turned it on in recent weeks.
Yeah, that int wasn't on him.

572077ad9771469c9aa58bd8a0e1bf2d.jpeg

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm happy for Sam and hope he continues to improve and prove he is a quality NFL QB.

He put the Rams in a bad position when he would not renegotiate his contract, and they found a trade partner to not only take on his huge salary but give up a potential replacement and a high round draft pick. the proverbial deal they could not refuse.

The O line was not ready to protect him in St Louis and both teams benefited from the trade.

Foles has stunk up the place, just like Kelly knew he would and Sam is coming around with his new team another point Kelly hoped for with Sam staying relatively healthy.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I didn't like the trade. Sam was looking good when he went down the first time. The second time was just crushing.

I was ok with having Sam giving it another try. A lot of fans and the coaching staff were not. Can't blame them though.

If that ACL never happened we would probably be talking playoffs right now.

FRO

Legend
I'm happy for Sam and hope he continues to improve and prove he is a quality NFL QB.

He put the Rams in a bad position when he would not renegotiate his contract, and they found a trade partner to not only take on his huge salary but give up a potential replacement and a high round draft pick. the proverbial deal they could not refuse.

The O line was not ready to protect him in St Louis and both teams benefited from the trade.

Foles has stunk up the place, just like Kelly knew he would and Sam is coming around with his new team another point Kelly hoped for with Sam staying relatively healthy.
I disagree with the whole contract talk. It was a one year deal. If he got hurt or played poorly then you are off the hook. It's not like we used the cap savings to add a big time player.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is just an average player.
Zach Ertz is a tremendous player who really keeps that team going.
He played better earlier IMO but they lost. Now he's playing ok but they are winning. Funny how that works. I watch every eagles game, live in Eagles country.
The offense would be a lot better with a better qb

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yeah, if its just Bradford vs Foles then we lost that one. Only because how terrible Foles is. I didn't expect a great or even good season from him. I just didn't expect him to be so bad. From my point of view I'd take Clemens, Hill or Davis over him. He was not an upgrade over our backups of the past two seasons.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I was on board with the trade and thought Foles would be good enough with our defence to protect leads.It would appear we were all fooled by his play in philly.And its not like they can change the offence to accommodate him.By letting him go in mostly shotgun that would affect Gurley.At least we got the salary dump and 2nd rounder,let's hope they use that pick wisely.

FRO

Legend
I was on board with the trade and thought Foles would be good enough with our defence to protect leads.It would appear we were all fooled by his play in philly.And its not like they can change the offence to accommodate him.By letting him go in mostly shotgun that would affect Gurley.At least we got the salary dump and 2nd rounder,let's hope they use that pick wisely.
It's not really a salary dump anymore since we now owe Foles money.