Challenge for Rams: Get to Kirk Cousins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Challenge for Rams: Get to Kirk Cousins

Posted by: Bernie Miklasz

http://www.101sports.com/2015/09/17/challenge-for-rams-get-to-kirk-cousins/

When the Rams defense digs into the turf Sunday at FedEx Field, setting up to go after Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins, their pass rushers can’t waste time. The ball will be gone. Cousins won’t stand around and wait for the Rams to hit him.

Cousins isn’t elusive. He doesn’t scramble much. He will stay in the pocket.

Cousins won’t make anyone’s “Best Quarterbacks” lists. After all, we’re talking about a fourth-year QB that has played in only 15 NFL games including 10 as a starter. He has more career interceptions (21) than touchdown passes (19) and a mediocre passer rating of 76.9.

But Cousins does present a challenge for an aggressive defense that thrives on pressuring and disrupting quarterbacks.

Cousins is one of the quickest draws in the NFL.

He sets up. He fires. He releases the throw before the pass rushers have time to blink.

This is part of coach Jay Gruden’s system. He doesn’t want his quarterbacks to loiter, free-lance, or otherwise hold onto the ball. If you want to play QB for Gruden’s Redskins _ sorry, Robert Griffin III _ then you’d better be decisive and deliver the pass without hesitation.

The Rams have an abundance of active, swarming pass rushers known as “Sack City.” The cast includes defensive ends Robert Quinn, Chris Long and William Hayes. (Plus Eugene Sims, who injured a knee in the season-opener vs. Seattle.) And on the interior are defensive tackles Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Nick Fairley. It’s a group that features five first-round draft choices, impressive career sack totals, and enough pass-rush heat to make any quarterback squirm.

Last Sunday “Sack City” got after Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson for six sacks and 22 total QB pressures. The mobile Wilson couldn’t escape the rush. The Rams trapped him early and often.

This may sound crazy, but Cousins figures to be a more difficult challenge for the Rams.

It’s not because Cousins is the superior quarterback. Obviously, Wilson is the better player. And unlike Cousins _ a stationary target _ Wilson is capable of breaking down a defense with his quicksilver running ability. But in the simple task of getting rid of the football to avoid sacks, Cousins can frustrate a defense with his rapid-fire delivery.

According to Pro Football Focus, Cousins needed an average of only 2.41 seconds to put his passes in flight last season.

In Sunday’s 17-10 opening-afternoon loss to Miami, Cousins averaged 2.32 seconds to release his throw.

In 2014, Cousins used only 2.5 seconds or less to get the ball out of his right hand on 60 percent of his passing attempts. Against Miami, 72 percent of his passing attempts went airborne in 2.5 seconds or under.

That fast release time puts Cousins near the top of the charts among NFL quarterbacks over the past two seasons.

This is what happens when Cousins uses 2.5 seconds or fewer to defy the rush with his quick-release trigger.

In 2014 … a 70 percent completion percentage and a 101.9 passer rating.

Against Miami … a 77.3 completion percentage and a 94.3 passer rating.

But when Cousins holds the ball for more than 2.5 seconds, he’s a different quarterback. And not nearly as good. On his 2.6+ throws last season Cousins completed only 49 percent with a passer rating of 61.5. Facing Miami, Cousins connected on 44 percent of the his 2.6+ passes, threw two interceptions and had a sickly passer rating of only 13.

The Rams’ assignment couldn’t be clearer. Their rushers have to find a way to out-quick Cousins, and it won’t be easy.

Like most quarterbacks, Cousins is more effective when he can throw without harassment.

In his one season (and one game) as Gruden’s quarterback, Cousins has completed 62 percent of his passes with an 80.8 passer rating when the defense doesn’t pressure him. But when the defense puts him under pressure, Cousins has completed only 49 percent of this throws, has two TD passes and five interceptions, and a terrible passer rating of 50.8.

There’s been a lot of talk about the Redskins’ vulnerable offensive line and lapses in pass protection. But the Redskins’ big men kept Cousins relatively clean last week against Miami’s well regarded pass rush. The Dolphins managed one sack and only nine total QB pressures.

Rams quarterback Nick Foles had to cope with considerably more discomfort against the Seahawks, who sacked him twice and swooped in for 16 total pressures. The Rams’ offensive line struggled in its pass protection, with Pro Football Focus giving its lowest pass-blocking grades to left tackle Greg Robinson and right tackle Rob Havenstein. (Center Tim Barnes scored well in his run blocking but got a negative pass-pro grade from PFF.)

Compared to Cousins, Foles has a slower release, averaging 2.7 seconds to get the ball away against Seattle. Foles had about the same timing for Philadelphia last season, and was even more deliberate in 2013 with an average release time of 3.3 seconds. But Foles put that extra release time to good use in 2013, being selected to the Pro Bowl after throwing 27 TD passes and only two interceptions.

The Redskins have at least one menacing pass rusher in outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, who roams the edges of a 3-4 defensive alignment to hunt for a pass-protection weakness or mismatch. Left defensive end Stephen Paea had a sack and three hurries vs. Miami last week, and outside linebacker Preston Smith gave the Dolphins as much trouble as Kerrigan.

The young Rams O-line will be tested by the Redskins. Count on it.

And the Rams’ defensive line will have to speed up to put a hit on Cousins before he flicks his wrist.

Thanks for reading …

–Bernie

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
It's only a challenge because Cousins is so antsy that he'd rather throw 50 picks than get sacked once. So getting a sack before he throws one wildly at our safeties is a real struggle.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IDK why I started to read this, I should have known better, It's typical Bernie!(n)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We need him to do this.

dQO7liA.jpg

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2.5 seconds? So Donald will be sacking him continuously?

Seriously, the Rams will supply enough pressure that he will make whatever throws he can. I'm expecting a pick 6 from Jenkins.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Skins cut blocked endlessly against the phins to slow them down. Rams need to find a way to counter that. First order of business should be to shut down Morris though. Also worried about our young line. Kerrigan and Hatcher are good pass rushers. Need to be able to handle them.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like our secondary and LBers against their skill players.
I think our DLine should be able to keep their running game in check.

We will have to win the turnover battle this time.

I don't think our offense will look as good this game. Our young O-line will struggle against an attacking 3-4 and combined with crowd noise, I expect us to have more issues moving the ball.

I think we are a much, much better team. But I also feel like we had a lot of ridiculously lucky plays last week. I don't see how Mason can give us more than Benny did and I can't see Foles being able to make so many explosive plays to keep drives alive.

If I'm the redskins I use playaction all day, blatantly hold Quinn and double team Donald every freaking play.

On Defense I would keep everything in front of the secondary to eliminate the big play, force our line to run block and use lots of stunts and movement on passing downs.
I'd make it a slow and ugly game and hope to win by getting lucky...

It won't be enough for them though.

If we get out to an early lead of two scores or more, it's all over for them. They just don't have the quick score potential without DJax.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
D. Jackson is out so the speedster is out. so I think Jenkins can handle some press bump and press coverage against an aging Gracon. eventually Cousins will make that mistake with quick pressure and someone's going to get that pick 6. Morris will get shutdown like Lynch with the same Oline issues. no run you get one dimensional. McCoy may end up playing at some point through the second half just like RG3 last year lol

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I don't see crowd noise playing a huge factor. @badnews .

Skins fans got shown up by the Dolphin fans last week. That stadium isn't exactly rocking. I don't mean to disrespect Skins fans but they aren't packing that stadium because of a sub-par product as of recently and also because (from what I hear) it's just not a great stadium experience. I don't expect Ram fans to pack it or overshadow the Skins fans, but I don't see crowd noise being a large factor. This should be one of our quieter road games (in comparison to future road games).

Just to prove I'm not pulling anything out of my ass...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...stadium-is--almost-a-home-game-001009773.html

COzo-K_WEAAKaSw.jpg

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't see crowd noise playing a huge factor. @badnews .

Skins fans got shown up by the Dolphin fans last week. That stadium isn't exactly rocking. I don't mean to disrespect Skins fans but they aren't packing that stadium because of a sub-par product as of recently and also because (from what I hear) it's just not a great stadium experience. I don't expect Ram fans to pack it or overshadow the Skins fans, but I don't see crowd noise being a large factor. This should be one of our quieter road games (in comparison to future road games).

Just to prove I'm not pulling anything out of my ass...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...stadium-is--almost-a-home-game-001009773.html

COzo-K_WEAAKaSw.jpg

Wow. Ok lol. Maybe crowd noise won't be a big issue.
Good info

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Wow. Ok lol. Maybe crowd noise won't be a big issue.
Good info

Yeah, the diehards are solid fans. No disrespect to them. If you can support a team on hard times you deserve some respect. There's just not enough fans into them right now though.

That said, you are right about our o-line being up to a tough test. 3-4 combined with solid rushers like Kerrigan and Hatcher worry me. That said this team did respectably against Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril, so we'll see.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
I didn't read anything but for us to get to Cousins we need to score first and keep the lead so the skins can play from behind. That means they'll abandon the run game and our defense will have more opportunities to sack Cousins.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bernie lol.

The obvious parallel with Cousins and his amazing quick draw is that when he has to get into his reads he struggles. Do you honestly think Williams is going to allow Cousins to have his first read all day? That might happen IF the DBs have a terrible game, but I think these players are beyond that. No way in hell Williams gets schooled by Gruden's little bro and his INT-happy QB.

Skins offense is gonna get their lunch money taken.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Bernie lol.

The obvious parallel with Cousins and his amazing quick draw is that when he has to get into his reads he struggles. Do you honestly think Williams is going to allow Cousins to have his first read all day? That might happen IF the DBs have a terrible game, but I think these players are beyond that. No way in hell Williams gets schooled by Gruden's little bro and his INT-happy QB.

Skins offense is gonna get their lunch money taken.

True enough.
Williams will keep him guessing and that will be enough to keep him from getting in a rhythm.

RamzFanz

Damnit
WTF? Bernie is STILL writing?

2.4 seconds? 2.4? That ain't shit. Rams can deal with that. Isn't that about the NFL average?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
This is completely unscientific but I record our time to sack on Sunday as:

So Cousins better make 2.4 his minimum rather than average or he's still getting sacked 2 times, and that's without the elusiveness of a Russell Wilson on his side.

Alan

Legend
"The Rams have an abundance of active, swarming pass rushers known as “Sack City MOB Squad.”"
Fixed that for you Bernie.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
GW will have Cousins head spinning all day in fact I think he gets pulled after his 3rd or 4th int.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
2.5 seconds? So Donald will be sacking him continuously?

Seriously, the Rams will supply enough pressure that he will make whatever throws he can. I'm expecting a pick 6 from Jenkins.
How about 6 Int's from our "MOB Squad!?!"