Can Aaron Donald break the DT Season Sack Record?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe a Better way to put it!
In the Fearsome-Foursome Days we had DE Deacon Jones and DT Merlin Olsen!:D
Now, In the MOB SQUAD days we have DE Robert Quinn and DT Aaron Donald!!:D

RamWoodie

Legend
It's true, Donald would be a special player on any defense.
That said, I think you are short-changing the impact his linemates have on his success.

Let's not forget how incredibly dominant Quinn was in 2013.
I remember. He was phenomenal.
If Quinn had played at that same level all of last season, I think the conversation about who is the most talented would be a lot different than it has been lately.
Brockers does make Donald better because he does his dirty job so well that Coach Williams is able to cut 99 loose and let him freelance.
The same can be said about Chris Long too.

AD99 is a star, even on a bad line, but his star wouldn't shine so bright without the badass guys around him now.

I know you know all this, and I get where you're coming from.
I just tend to think that the rest of our line deserves it's fair share of the love.
This is a very good analysis. Good on ya!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yeah our line is beast and we have 2 very special qb killers. I will add as said above Long is an intricle part of the success along with Brockers.
Often the pressure comes from Long and they run right into Quinn.
Like running from a grizzly mama only to run right into her teenage son.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Damn, you beat me to it....I was getting on this morning to post this same thing.
Millard is indeed the keeper of the record with an absurd 18 sacks. Millard career numbers are strange, he had mostly blah sort of years (in terms of sacks), a couple good ones and the record season.
I think Donald breaks or at least challenges the record. If not this year then at some point. 18 sacks for a DT is just crazy. The ability to easily double team a DT makes getting consistent pressure tough, let alone sacks.
Donald has a good match up again this week and it would not surprise me to see him put up a multi sacks game this week.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah our line is beast and we have 2 very special qb killers. I will add as said above Long is an intricle part of the success along with Brockers.
Often the pressure comes from Long and they run right into Quinn.
Like running from a grizzly mama only to run right into her teenage sun.
Hayes as well. When he subs in he brings fresh legs and gets after the QB. He had six QB pressure vs Seattle week one. That is big number period, but, especially when you consider limited snaps. When the Rams play QB less likely to run those pressure are so disrupting, forcing early throws or making them move in the pocket (and like you said, helping to create sacks) and messing up timing.