Broncos Rams talked Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-keenum-trade-in-august?campaign=Twitter_atn

Rapoport: Broncos kept tabs on Case Keenum

Trevor Siemian will make his first professional start in Thursday night's 2016 NFL Kickoff.

If not for a few twists and turns last month, it could have been Case Keenum starting for the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl 50 rematch with the Carolina Panthers.

Denver kept tabs on Keenum during the preseason, going as far as to conduct trade talks with the Los Angeles Rams, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a source informed of the discussions.

The Rams would have required a "huge pick or player compensation" to move their Week 1 starter, Rapoport added, but the Broncos never offered a high enough draft pick or a talented cornerback such as Aqib Talib or Bradley Roby.

Broncos coach Gary Kubiak has a familiarity with Keenum going back to their days with the Houston Texans, when the former University of Houston standout started eight games over Matt Schaub during the 2013 season.

Once Siemian showed enough in training camp and preseason action to instill confidence in Denver's coaching staff, though, the Broncospulled the plug on trade talks.

It's hard to imagine general manager John Elway surrendering a high draft pick or a valuable chip on his dominant defense for a physically limited quarterback who was winless in eight starts under Kubiak three years ago. The same quarterback was free for the taking in November of 2014 when Keenum was a street free agent for nearly two months after being waived by the Rams.

Even if rookie Paxton Lynch ends up displacing Siemian as the starter within the next couple of months, Kubiak and Elway ultimately reached the sensible conclusion on Keenum's value.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-8_21-36-20.gif
    upload_2016-9-8_21-36-20.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 121

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Siemian ain't doing so well. If Keenum plays well, and the Broncos come knocking, do we bite?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Siemian ain't doing so well. If Keenum plays well, and the Broncos come knocking, do we bite?

If they pay our asking price, sure - but I think the longer the season goes on, the value goes down. If it was gonna happen it woulda happened.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The kid looks pretty good to me . One real bad throw that I saw .

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
srsly - for a rookie playing against one of nfls best D - i think he playes very good

He's not a rookie. Though it's true he didn't have any pass attempts in 2015, and only got in one game.

And the only way the Rams get enough to trade Keenum is if Goff is ready to start, AND a winning team loses their QB for the season. Keep in mind that if Keenum looks good enough to be worth anything in trade, the Rams would likely get a decent comp pick for him anyway, so the offer has to handily exceed that.

TXRams86

The Infamous
McLovin aka Trevor Siemian (they look a lot alike!!!) played well against the Panthers D. For a guy who never took a snap save for a kneel down, he showed a hell of a lot. His two interceptions could happen to anyone and were not bone head, rookie mistakes. This kid is gonna be good. I doubt they come along asking to trade for Keenum.

That being said, Keenum is our guy and it's gonna take a high draft pick or worthwhile trade to take him from us. I don't see it happening though. Keenum is a stop gap, plain and simple. Siemian will show he's at least that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He had a few good throws, but honestly ... he should have been picked off 4 times.
Still, credit him for hanging in there. Nice to have Sanders and Thomas to throw to I'm sure.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Amazing how good our players are considered when people picture them as non Rams. My Green Bay Packer buddy is so stoked about that sticky-handed stud Jared Cooked. Keenum isn't good enough to be anyones backup, just maybe good enough to start for the champs. We all know about future hall of famer McCleod. Mike Remmers out there tonight....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Mike Remmers out there tonight....
Good gracious was he bad. I mean, I get it...it's Von, but he was getting beaten like a drum by that #48 also. Dude looks like a liability to me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hell to the yeah....but that ship sailed...esp. after that game last night...

the Bronco's CB's Suck!
boy, I was sure hoping we'd draft Bradley Robey when his stock fell a couple years ago....Think Harris was a udfa....Aquib is Aquib...
whatcha talkin bout Dave?o_O:burp:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
hell to the yeah....but that ship sailed...esp. after that game last night...

boy, I was sure hoping we'd draft Bradley Robey when his stock fell a couple years ago....Think Harris was a udfa....Aquib is Aquib...
whatcha talkin bout Dave?o_O:burp:
JMO, But they Denver CB's didn't seem to do that well against the Panther passing attack in the 1st half! the young guys were making too many mistakes in coverage! Except for Aquib!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
JMO, But they Denver CB's didn't seem to do that well against the Panther passing attack in the 1st half! the young guys were making too many mistakes in coverage! Except for Aquib!
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20160...gameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000697250&tab=recap
Newton, the NFL's reigning MVP, was 18 of 33 for 194 yard with one TD and one interception.
Cam & Benjamin where clicking early...I think those head shots slowed Cam down....but he only scored on FG in the second half...holding a QB under 200 is all you want in 2016....

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Good gracious was he bad. I mean, I get it...it's Von, but he was getting beaten like a drum by that #48 also. Dude looks like a liability to me.
I agree. I'm surprised he won the starting job this year.

lockdnram21

Legend
Amazing how good our players are considered when people picture them as non Rams. My Green Bay Packer buddy is so stoked about that sticky-handed stud Jared Cooked. Keenum isn't good enough to be anyones backup, just maybe good enough to start for the champs. We all know about future hall of famer McCleod. Mike Remmers out there tonight....
From what i was hearing Cook has been catching everything