Brian Thomas on the board at 19 and Bills calling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
It’s not a deep draft. After round 2-3 it’s very weak. Sure trading back a little is okay but trading back for the usual 4th-5th-6th round picks is less likely to be worth it this year. Last year was a very deep draft.
I agree but the first 100 picks looks pretty strong so acquiring picks in that range could be important especially as not every pick, 1st round or otherwise, is going to turn out well

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
He's only behind Latu in this classes pass rush win rate and ahead of him slightly in pff grade. Not sure where this lack of production myth comes from.

View: https://twitter.com/fball_insights/status/1775676697620181449?t=UdT1v8O7Aop7KS_gONRFog&s=19

I have been pushing Trice with only one or two here in agreement. That chart says a lot. As I have said he could well be the best pass rusher in this draft and probably doesn’t go round 1. If so, why not trade back to acquire another top 100 pick? Of course, we need another team to tango but I can easily see multiple teams wanting to trade up to 19 if the draft falls anywhere close to expectations

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Got it he sucks. Funny how pff is so great unless ROD disagrees with it.

Not saying Robinson sucks. I don't watch college football. However, the lack of stats kind of jumps-out.

I'm not usually a stats guy for defensive players but the discrepancy in 2023 numbers is a little alarming.

Turner ... 53 total tackles ... 14.5 TFL ... 10 sacks
Latu ... 49 total tackles ... 21.5 TFL ... 13 sacks
Verse ... 41 total tackles ... 12.5 TFL ... 9 sacks

Bralen Trice ... 49 total tackles ... 11.5 TFL ... 7 sacks
Jonah Elliss ... 37 total tackles ... 16 TFL ... 12 sacks
Chris Braswell ... 42 total tackles ... 10.5 TFL ... 8 sacks
Adisa Isaac ... 37 total tackles ... 16 TFL ... 7.5 sacks

Chop ... 15 total tackles ... 7.5 TFL ... 4 sacks ... Robinson had fewer TFL and sacks in his career than Latu in 2023.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I have been pushing Trice with only one or two here in agreement. That chart says a lot. As I have said he could well be the best pass rusher in this draft and probably doesn’t go round 1. If so, why not trade back to acquire another top 100 pick? Of course, we need another team to tango but I can easily see multiple teams wanting to trade up to 19 if the draft falls anywhere close to expectations
Trice intrigues.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
My guess is that people are watching the tape more and getting a sense from teams what they think. Nice player, not blue chip. Wouldn't cry taking him at 19. Think Murphy's probably better.
I don't have an opinion who is better. I primarily watch SEC and BigTen. ACC sometimes and now and then Big12 and Pac12. I have heard Murphy is over rated because he played along side Sweat. I have heard Verse is good but not a stud. I know Latu has had a bad injury and has been compared to that ex-Dallas LB. I don't know what's fact or fiction. Not sure who would be best for the Rams. And half expecting they're gonna throw us all a curve ball and pick none of them.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't have an opinion who is better. I primarily watch SEC and BigTen. ACC sometimes and now and then Big12 and Pac12. I have heard Murphy is over rated because he played along side Sweat. I have heard Verse is good but not a stud. I know Latu has had a bad injury and has been compared to that ex-Dallas LB. I don't know what's fact or fiction. Not sure who would be best for the Rams. And half expecting they're gonna throw us all a curve ball and pick none of them.
I mean, 80% of us will laud the pick right after it comes in. I'm not big on Latu at 19 for instance (I'd be down with him later) but I'll start to focus on all the reasons he could be a plus starter for us if we grab him there.

It's the real degenerates who will bang the table that they don't like the pick. I respect the conviction... but how much conviction is necessary on a message board where half of what we engage in is fantasy football about real football!

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not saying Robinson sucks. I don't watch college football. However, the lack of stats kind of jumps-out.

I'm not usually a stats guy for defensive players but the discrepancy in 2023 numbers is a little alarming.

Chop ... 15 total tackles ... 7.5 TFL ... 4 sacks ... Robinson had fewer TFL and sacks in his career than Latu in 2023.
And looking at our own, in his last season at Tennessee:
Byron Young 37 total tackles ... 12 TFL ... 7 sacks
Which had him drafted in round 3
I agree stats dont tell everything but they sure have to mean something

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I mean, 80% of us will laud the pick right after it comes in. I'm not big on Latu at 19 for instance (I'd be down with him later) but I'll start to focus on all the reasons he could be a plus starter for us if we grab him there.

It's the real degenerates who will bang the table that they don't like the pick. I respect the conviction... but how much conviction is necessary on a message board where half of what we engage in is fantasy football about real football!
My conviction is my faith in this particular management group. Snead, McVay and Demoff. Some might say, "blind loyalty" but I've seen what they've done, so I'd argue that description is incorrect. They are committed to bringing us the best Los Angeles Rams team we could possibly want. Every year. Hell, last year they said, "remodel" and the masses argued "call it what it is, a rebuild". Yet they go 10-7, make the postseason and by the end of the season, even those contradictors were saying, "nobody wants to face the Rams!". Only in America!! :biggrin:

dang

Legend
And looking at our own, in his last season at Tennessee:
Byron Young 37 total tackles ... 12 TFL ... 7 sacks
Which had him drafted in round 3
I agree stats dont tell everything but they sure have to mean something
Exactly. I honestly want to hear why Robinson is a legitimate R1 prospect. I’m just not seeing it in some extended stats over the past 3 years. Tell us beyond the stats why he would be a great pick for the Rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

That could be in part due to the Manny Diaz defense. They brought the house on nearly every play. Teams were most worried about Chop so others got the benefit

WestCoastRam

Legend
My conviction is my faith in this particular management group. Snead, McVay and Demoff. Some might say, "blind loyalty" but I've seen what they've done, so I'd argue that description is incorrect. They are committed to bringing us the best Los Angeles Rams team we could possibly want. Every year. Hell, last year they said, "remodel" and the masses argued "call it what it is, a rebuild". Yet they go 10-7, make the postseason and by the end of the season, even those contradictors were saying, "nobody wants to face the Rams!". Only in America!! :biggrin:
I def thought 7 wins last year.

TexasRam

Legend
The Chop Robinson pick scares me. The lack of production outside the pressure rate screams lack of technique and or growth and or lack of finishing burst.

That said, you really never know how these guys pan out at the next level.

I’ve been a proponent of moving up a few spots to get Latu if he’s available.

If we can’t get Latu I would be fine with snagging one of these massive run blocking tackles. Could replace Havenstein next year or maybe replace AJ. Then we just run the ball down the Niners throats.

Otherwise I trade back a bit and snag a WR or CB end of first round and get my edge in RD 2.

I have concerns about Murphy as a run stopper.

Thomas is a bit lacking in the whole route tree for my taste.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
1. Newton
2. Trice
3A. Pearsall or Tez Walker (Legette if he somehow drops)
3B. Kalen King or Kyree Jackson (CBs)

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
You're right that at #19 the Rams are at the end of the blue-chip players. I've seen several say that there are about 18-20 players with true 1st round grades. Even at #19, they may get a red-chip player versus a blue-chip one.

So...couldn't this be an argument for trading UP rather than trading back? If they trade up to say the 10-12 range, they assure themselves of a blue-chip talent with a much higher likelihood of the player being a difference maker. The type of player that years later is worth multiple 1st round draft picks in trade.
Only if the Rams have targeted a particular player or believe there are fewer blue chip talents.

But methinks the QBs pushed up NFL teams draft boards because of the importance of the position helps the Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd draft Fiske on "gristle" factor alone.
I'd like to see him added to our DL group because he's got good length to him and we could use that. The risk with him is that he showed better that Senior Bowl week than his film looked snap to snap. So the more I watched his entire games the more I started thinking ok maybe this guy goes a little later than I initially thought. Which is similar to my reaction on some of these other DTs. Newton and Murphy both for example. They're good prospects but just pale a bit in comparison to some of these other guys at 19.

At our second round pick he makes a lot of sense. But I have a feeling the Rams are earmarking WR there if they don't get it at 19 or after a move down. I think the top DL group as a whole are early second rounders but some might go round 1 late due to good teams needing them and knowing they won't be on the board late round 2. So I guess Fiske goes off sometime in those round 2 picks leading up to our pick.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
1. Newton
2. Trice
3A. Pearsall or Tez Walker (Legette if he somehow drops)
3B. Kalen King or Kyree Jackson (CBs)
That would be nice ... Pearsall and Jackson, instead of Walker and King.

However, could we make a small adjustment; and draft the WR in Round Two (Roman Wilson), and the Edge in Round Three (Marshawn Kneeland). Appreciate it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why are your panties in a bunch?
Questioning his production is fair, not a myth
Oh and nice strawman, I never said he sucks
Not in a bunch it's just funny how this kind of thing always turns around.

People cite PFF as a credible source.
Somebody doubts PFF gets called out for it.
That person cites PFF as a source.
People doubt PFF.

Shit like this happens so much it's completely comical. In the end if somebody likes a player they'll use PFF as validation. If they don't it doesn't matter what PFF says because they don't like the player he has to be bad regardless of PFF. It happens with things other than PFF too just using it because it's in the current discussion.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trice is very good without a doubt. My whole thing with the wait for the 2nd or 3rd for an edge is if that truly is the biggest need/most important position for a team to draft pushing your luck and waiting instead of grabbing one when a guys right there for you is a huge risk. It could be looking like it is working then somebody trades right in front of you and pulls out the rug. IMO grab your guy at 19 don't push your luck.