Breaking down the acquisition of new Rams QB Brandon Allen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Where do you see Brandon Allen in three years?

• Rams Backup

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Rams 3rd-string QB

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Rams Starter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not on the team anymore

Votes: 29 50.9%

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Breaking down the acquisition of new Rams QB Brandon Allen

227364_9432828365924324a62120f5245341d0~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...-the-acquisition-of-new-Rams-QB-Brandon-Allen

The Rams claimed QB Brandon Allen after the Jaguars waived him in hopes of Allen clearing waivers and putting him back on their practice squad.

Now, the Rams add a third quarterback to the mix behind former 2015 third-round pick Sean Mannion and 2016 first-overall pick Jared Goff. Brandon Allen is his name and you may know him just off the fact he was the guy that stretched his hands so he would have a bigger hand size measurement at the combine. Allen deserves to be known for more than that, but the 2016 sixth-round pick hasn't been able to crack the starting job and of course won't now after Jacksonville outright cut him from the roster.

Rams Head coach Sean McVay flirted with the idea of bringing in QB Dan Orlovsky as a veteran mentor after week one, but now it appears the Rams have gone ahead and have gone in a completely different direction bringing in a developmental third quarterback. Allen has familiarity with Rams QB coach Greg Olson and so it seemed like a combination of the familiarity with Olson and the tape Allen put out in preseason gave the Rams the thought that Allen would be a nice acquisition.

Coach Olson spent time in Jacksonville as the offensive coordinator, so he obviously played a part in the decision to draft the young 24-year old quarterback last season. Now, with Olson joining the Rams he brings that same quarterback in who has some upside and has shown some growth going into his second year in the league. Since the Rams claimed Allen off of waivers they will assume control not only of Allen but his contract as well. The Jaguars pay his bonus, but the Rams get a deal with Allen that makes him a Ram until the conclusion of the 2019 NFL season. What makes this interesting is the fact that backup QB Sean Mannion's contract expires after the 2018 season.

Allen is a threat just off his talent alone to take over as the backup, but the financial flexibility, age and contractual longevity make it even more likely he takes over. Allen may not possess the big prototypical QB body like Mannion with his smaller stature at 6-foot-1 and 219 pounds, but he has some tools that make him a nice developmental project for his former coach Olson and Rams HC McVay.

When I went through the quarterbacks last season and I watched film on pretty much all of them, I actually found myself intrigued by Allen. I have never been one to care about size so that didn't bother me like it did for everyone else. However, what I did care about was his ability to show he could lead men and he did that very well at Arkansas. He's an effective passer on the run but has shown his ability to adapt to more of a pocket passer style. One thing to like about Allen is his ball placement and it's not just good it's great and sometimes it's top notch. Sure, he is still somewhat raw, but when he is given time he puts the ball right out in front of his receiver to continue the play. He has solid mechanics which ultimately allow him to drive the ball and make tight window throws and he has an understanding of what it takes to play quarterback and seems to have that "it" factor. When talking to draft expert Matt Waldman on our podcast he told us a quarterback either has it or doesn't have it, Allen is a gamer and he has it.

One of the obvious problems with him is decision making at times. He can get a little too loose with the football and it showed up in preseason along with the great decisions he made as well. He still has a problem bailing on the pocket and turning to his legs to get him out of danger. He's not a QB that will hang in there and take a big hit sacrificing himself for the perfect throw, instead, he might take a big hit while he is on the move. Allen is not a finished product and it's not really even close, but the best thing to do is get him working behind QB's that can handle the game day operations at the position while he continues to work in practice and grow under the coaching staff and mainly his old coach Olson. If the Rams didn't have any plan for Allen they wouldn't have claimed him and probably would have brought in Orlovsky as a veteran presence like the original plan. However, the Rams clearly see enough in Allen to consider developing him as the backup behind Goff or maybe even someday the backup plan if Goff doesn't pan out.

Last edited:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I love BA

I got no illusions of BA as the starter

Hope he makes the team

Gotta pull for a Hog!

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yeah, agree with Ramlock.....gotta support a fellow Razorback.

Heh don't think the UA has produced a decent starter type QB since Joe Ferguson.

Hopefully Brandon Allen breaks that streak and becomes a huge success for the Rams!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

fearsomefour

Legend
I posted in another thread yesterday that I thought teams should take a flier....a late round pick, an undrafted FA rookie, or this kind of signing....take a flier every year in a QB.
For that reason alone I like the move.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Great write up, Jake. As with most things, time will tell.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I posted in another thread yesterday that I thought teams should take a flier....a late round pick, an undrafted FA rookie, or this kind of signing....take a flier every year in a QB.
For that reason alone I like the move.
Absolutely agree. I wanted Kyle Sloter and Brad Kaaya so bad in the draft this year. The guy we drafted over them didnt make the roster as a 6th rd pick.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Great write up, Jake. As with most things, time will tell.
Appreciate that. I absolutely agree. I think what people need to realize is this. The Rams clearly didn't expect this kid to be available this morning and they clearly made him a high priority.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My boy Mannion gets no love but a guy that throws 3 interceptions has the "it" factor, just gotta love it

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
My boy Mannion gets no love but a guy that throws 3 interceptions has the "it" factor, just gotta love it
I like Mannion. However, Mannion doesn't throw the interceptions that Allen does and will do because he doesn't take any chances. He's a very one read oriented guy. Which is why he's likely never going to be anything more than a good backup QB.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Mannion. However, Mannion doesn't throw the interceptions that Allen does and will do because he doesn't take any chances. He's a very one read oriented guy. Which is why he's likely never going to be anything more than a good backup QB.
Taking chances is all Mannion did in college throwing deep is what Mannion did when they had the personnel the same as what he did this preseason, take deep shots and threw the ball in tight windows while being pressured and hit. Taking chances and being reckless are too different things

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Taking chances is all Mannion did in college throwing deep is what Mannion did when they had the personnel the same as what he did this preseason, take deep shots and threw the ball in tight windows while being pressured and hit. Taking chances and being reckless are too different things
I'm just saying what I've seen in the pros. I like Mannion and believe he's either too underappreciated or overappreciated. I think he deserved the starting role last season and to get in some games the season before. However, I don't love that he seems to lock onto one receiver too often. Still though, if Goff went down I would be fine with Mannion in there. That's why I like him. I just like Allen cause the upside is much greater. Would have taken Sloter as the backup in a heartbeat but I'm biased cause I interviewed him haha

bnw

Pro Bowler
I'm thinking most guys if given the chance to stretch something.....the hands wouldn't be the body part of choice.:whistle:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just saying what I've seen in the pros. I like Mannion and believe he's either too underappreciated or overappreciated. I think he deserved the starting role last season and to get in some games the season before. However, I don't love that he seems to lock onto one receiver too often. Still though, if Goff went down I would be fine with Mannion in there. That's why I like him. I just like Allen cause the upside is much greater. Would have taken Sloter as the backup in a heartbeat but I'm biased cause I interviewed him haha
I agree I definitely this is just planning for next year if Goff plays well and doesn't get hurt I can see them moving Mannion for a draft pick.

Mannion doesn't lock onto receivers as much as people wanna say, it's been plenty of games when looks off safeties and make throws. I think the narrative is slightly confused because he makes his reads quicker, he tends to throw to his first read more often then not but those have turned out to work fine. His third down completion percentage and his fourth down rate attest to that

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I agree I definitely this is just planning for next year if Goff plays well and doesn't get hurt I can see them moving Mannion for a draft pick.

Mannion doesn't lock onto receivers as much as people wanna say, it's been plenty of games when looks off safeties and make throws. I think the narrative is slightly confused because he makes his reads quicker, he tends to throw to his first read more often then not but those have turned out to work fine. His third down completion percentage and his fourth down rate attest to that
I would agree with that. I just wanted you to know I am not a hater of Mannion. I like him more than 90% of the fanbase.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed it

Think you fell short with the Greco thing.

--Great point about the contracts.QB's offer such value , especially tying down to guys on the cheap.
Sam Bradford had an out rages rookie contract. Goff being a number 1 is on the cheap vs starters in the NFL.

Hate to see Petterson cut ,but value is excellent in BA. Brisskett just got traded to the Colts.It shows the value the QB position brings. The fact that The Rams have a bunch of 1 year contracts as well.

I hope Coach Pleasant had the loudest voice on Hatfield vs Petterson's evaluation .

Les Snead could be more about the story with Hatfield ? --Troy Hill should be back in 2 weeks anyway.

-- I think if could get an interview with coach Pleasant , he would bring a wealth of knowledge.
Has a bright future.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Absolutely agree. I wanted Kyle Sloter and Brad Kaaya so bad in the draft this year. The guy we drafted over them didnt make the roster as a 6th rd pick.
I wanted David Fales a couple of years ago.
I think he is floating around out there still.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Personally I don't really care who is our 3rd backup QB - as long as our staring QB is healthy, hits his WRs and drives the offense to the endzone I'll be happy.