Bradford and a rookie QB to be named later...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Here's my question. What QB do you take? We will likely be a top 5 picks. Wouldn't taking a QB in that range be a reach? Maybe trading down and getting someone else? Or getting a guy in. The second round. Then use that top pick on Cooper from bama.
We don't need receivers. We need a o line and Qb. With all the problems we are having people still want a shiny toy smh

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Davis is still just a guy, Bradford will be the Rams qb next year and most likely a drafted guy.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Here's my question. What QB do you take? We will likely be a top 5 picks. Wouldn't taking a QB in that range be a reach? Maybe trading down and getting someone else? Or getting a guy in. The second round. Then use that top pick on Cooper from bama.

Not a reach imo if Mariota or Winston are available. I'd jump at the opportunity to take either one. As much as i'd like a top WR, I just don't see the position as a top need, ... would prefer to draft a Center like Dismukes in the 2'nd if we can make it happen.

I'd be quite comfortable heading into 2015 with a starting OL consisting of :

LT - Robinson
LG - Jones
C - Dismukes
RG - Saffold
RT- Barksdale

tahoe

Pro Bowler
This coming from a guy that wanted Watkins over Robinson but the Rams have to make the offensive line a top priority.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Not a reach imo if Mariota or Winston are available. I'd jump at the opportunity to take either one. As much as i'd like a top WR, I just don't see the position as a high priority need, ... would prefer to draft a Center like Dismukes in the 2'nd if we can make it happen.

LT - Robinson
LG - Jones
C - Dismukes
RG - Saffold
RT- Barksdale

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could be, rfip2. Who knows?

Good to see you posting, btw.

Two questions for you...

Do you see Bradford coming back at his presently scheduled salary? You made no mention of a salary reduction. I really don't see him back without a significant reduction, myself.

The other thing is do you feel Bradford can play next year? Some medical opinions that 18 months are necessary after a player has suffered a 2nd ACL have been posted. If he can't play until '16, what are his chances of being a Ram next year, really?

I think Bradford plays out his contract as it is constructed now. If they cut him I think he goes somewhere else and plays for a team like Arizona or Houston on a year "show me deal".

As for the 2nd question, I think he will be ready. Purely my biased opinion, as you well know 43

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I don't know what the right move is at QB but I do know that Sam is head and shoulders above anybody else we've seen with the Rams since Bulger. When healthy.

Emphasis:
When healthy

I don't care how talented he's supposed to be, it doesn't matter if he's not on the field.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a reach imo if Mariota or Winston are available. I'd jump at the opportunity to take either one. As much as i'd like a top WR, I just don't see the position as a high priority need, ... would prefer to draft a Center like Dismukes in the 2'nd if we can make it happen.

LT - Robinson
LG - Jones
C - Dismukes
RG - Saffold
RT- Barksdale
I have heard concerns about Mariota not having to make tight throws. Not that he can't make them, just that he is playing in an offense that has such an advantage over every defense they play. Which obviously wouldn't be the case in the NFL.

As for Winston, I do like him, minus the off the field stuff.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm just going to take a wait and see attitude right now.

We don't know what Davis will do in the remaining 9 games. Maybe he's at his peak, maybe he'll fall back, or maybe he'll learn to start taking what the defense gives him and continue improving from where he's at now.

We don't know whether Bradford will be willing to renegotiate his contract.

We don't know where we are going to be drafting, although I will guess it's going to be high. Will it be high enough to get one of the marquee QB's in the draft? And will there be others not as highly touted but worth taking a look at farther down in the first round or even in the second or beyond?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do think it is possible the Rams keep Bradford on the roster next year, but there are a lot of influencing factors:

1. Do they get a top QB talent in the draft? If they draft high and get a top QB, it will factor in to the decision.
2. How well does Davis play the rest of the way? He's a backup at the least, and much more affordable than Bradford next year.
3. How quickly does Bradford's rehab go? Second injury to that knee, even Sam may be traumatized by it and afraid to push back too quickly.
4. What would they project the trade market for Sam to be? There will be a few teams that need a quarterback in the first part of the season, always is.

My guess is that Snead trades Sam. Reasoning is he does have some value and upside still, but the Rams cannot afford to risk going with him any longer. The Rams will draft a QB this year, and it's gonna be a young group with the draftee, Davis, and Gilbert all competing in camp for the starting nod. Sam doesn't fit that direction, giving him snaps when he's not the future is just dumb.

If I had to put percentages on it...

50% they trade Sam (this would mean they keep him on the roster maybe into the season)
40% they cut Sam (any time from offseason on into camp)
10% they keep Sam (he serves as the backup to their high draftee)

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I do think it is possible the Rams keep Bradford on the roster next year, but there are a lot of influencing factors:

1. Do they get a top QB talent in the draft? If they draft high and get a top QB, it will factor in to the decision.
2. How well does Davis play the rest of the way? He's a backup at the least, and much more affordable than Bradford next year.
3. How quickly does Bradford's rehab go? Second injury to that knee, even Sam may be traumatized by it and afraid to push back too quickly.
4. What would they project the trade market for Sam to be? There will be a few teams that need a quarterback in the first part of the season, always is.

My guess is that Snead trades Sam. Reasoning is he does have some value and upside still, but the Rams cannot afford to risk going with him any longer. The Rams will draft a QB this year, and it's gonna be a young group with the draftee, Davis, and Gilbert all competing in camp for the starting nod. Sam doesn't fit that direction, giving him snaps when he's not the future is just dumb.

If I had to put percentages on it...

50% they trade Sam (this would mean they keep him on the roster maybe into the season)
40% they cut Sam (any time from offseason on into camp)
10% they keep Sam (he serves as the backup to their high draftee)
You can't trade Sam due to his contract. No team will take him on with that fat azz cap hit. He either stays and renegotiates or he gets cut.
There are no other options

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think Bradford plays out his contract as it is constructed now. If they cut him I think he goes somewhere else and plays for a team like Arizona or Houston on a year "show me deal".

As for the 2nd question, I think he will be ready. Purely my biased opinion, as you well know 43
If this happens this regime is clearly not fit for command.
There is no way that this can happen in 2015.
I want Bradford to rehab(again), return, compete for the starting QB job with a drafted rookie, Hill, Davis...whomever, but he MUST take a pay cut to stay here. This organization can longer afford(literally) to keep Sam considering the injuries and current question marks.

It is smart business to restructure/cut & re-sign Bradford on a one year prove it deal. Sam no longer has any leverage. Not in St Louis. Not anywhere. He's now one of those talented, unproven guys you take a flyer on.

I know Bradford can play QB in this league and excel. It kills me to watch what has happened to such a talented, good guy, but Fisher/Snead can no longer go into a season with the mantra of "Sam is our QB." We have no franchise QB right now. Sam is going to have to work even harder, realize that the salary is an issue, compete and make good to get back to that status.

rams2050

Starter
I think some of this is bonkers talk. The guy has torn his ACL in TWO CONSECUTIVE SEASONS now. Are we really supposed to be dim enough to think, actually think, that there is a snowball's chance in hell that he will be recovered enough to play -- WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT INJURY -- next season??? What would make it more likely that this second surgery will take when the first one didn't?

Relying on Sam for next season is a terrifying thought. . .

I mean, I'm an eternal optimist, but I cannot conceive of the notion of going into the season with Sam as our #1 -- not without someone good lined up in the wings as our #2.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Not very many people were saying Sam is just another guy after his first 6-7 games. Davis is having a better year so far than SB did in his 1st year. Think about that for a second before throwing in the towel on the guy.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Snead will likely either go BPA, trade up, or trade down for a QB in the first round. Whoever we draft, I hope it's at valued range, reaching for QBs is a sign of desperation.

For me, I would like Winston in the Top 5 or Connor Cook at the Top 20. Darkhorse candidates include Hogan, Hundley, or Mannion at the late 1st round.

Cody Leach

UDFA
Name
Cody
The best thing we can do is restructure SBs contract to about a 1 year 6 million dollar deal, or 2 year 12 million dollar deal. Draft a qb in the third or fourth round (like Petty, Sean Mannion, Dak Prescott, or another guy we see fit.) Let this qb battle and learn from Bradford.

or

Draft Winston/ Cook (assuming Mariotta is gone) and let him battle out SB and learn from him. either is fine by me, but one of them needs to be done!

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I like Sam as a person, but I'm not gonna lie, I'd be disappointed if he's a ram next year, time to move on mate... No hard feelings
You and I have had a fun back and forth this season with your pessimism (you would say realism) and me being an optimist (you'd say dreamer). On this point though, I agree with you. That is the reality of it, especially considering the money aspect.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm with RFIP on this. Bradford if he's healthy enough to start. If he can't play till 2016 then he'll have to be cut - but that's a medical decision (if you're allowed to do that? I don't know about the rules on that). A rookie QB to back him up along with AD who's shown he can be a competent backup.

I don't really get the whole "AD is playing better than SB was last year" thing - because simply he's not.
I also don't get the whole "time to move on" feeling without any reasoning behind it. You don't move on from that talent if there's no one better to replace it - otherwise you're instantly downgrading your team.