Boras: Goff IS ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I totally hear you and there's nothing outside of real life issues I want more than to see Rams win again. I didn't mean to insult anyone who thinks playing Goff is the most importiant change we can make. I'm just nervous.

Fortune favors the bold. ;)

I just deleted a lame, lengthy explanation as to why Goff should stay seated and now...

I have myself convinced Goff is our guy and I'm glad he hasn't played yet. Case was our best option up until now - feel like Goff from week one would have led to 5 or 6 losses. Sitting at 3-4 is about who we are and still in the mix of a division title.

I'm just not seeing it. It's not like Keenum has played great football. Looking at the other rookie starters, it's possible Goff leads us to 5 or 6 wins. But even if he didn't light it up like they have, I have a hard time seeing us doing any worse than we have with Keenum.

I'm sick of watching teams in the NFL throwing deep and picking up yards and first downs on PI. Throwing down the sidelines to a single covered Quick or Britt is asking for opposing DBs to resort to committing a penalty.

I'm just not going to let myself get frustrated if Case keeps playing mediocre ball and block out how much fun it would be to see Goff come in and excel

If Gurley is going to play like a top 5 RB we need to show teams we can pass and convert on first and ten just as efficiently as any other team in the league.

I just refuse to justify playing Goff because of how rookie QBs around the league have played. It's been 8 weeks and the rookie QBs are degressing. Mental and physical fatigue is creeping up. It takes a special talent to lead a team to a winning record in a full 16 game schedule and I don't think any rookie QBs around the league are going to do that. Eagles are in for a disappointing 2nd half. Prescott is holding back the Cowboys from being a legit contender and if they were smart they would play Romo when he's ready.

To be honest I hope Case has to leave the game with a minor injury, enter Goff and it's all gas no brakes for the rest of the season - embracing the inevitable struggles along the way knowing that when AZ and SF come into town to end the season we win convincingly in games that ultimately lead us to a NFC West title...with a 9-7 record:whistle:

I don't know how you can ignore it. Those are the players in the most comparable situations. I completely disagree with the rest of that paragraph as well. I don't see regression. I see the rookie QBs playing like rookie QBs. They have their ups and downs. But those teams are winning because their QBs are playing good football.

Frankly, I am shocked that you think the rookie QBs aren't going to take any of their teams to a winning record. We've seen it done a number of times over the past 10 years by rookie QBs.(Ryan, Flacco, Wilson, Dalton, Luck, RGIII)

JackStraw

Rookie
I admire your passion jrry32 but we're just different people.

Don't ever change I like reading your takes

The joke is probably on me, but I just can't think of a world where i'm in any position to question football decisions made by anyone who gets paid more than 50k to coach the game. I also don't want to put my self in the position of being able to say 'I told ya!', because I will.

I realize the fun of being a fan is being able to ask more from your team and that some coaches are really bad but for some stupid reason i'm a coach apologist and hopelessly naive. I just magically expect bad things to get better in Ram's world. Almost all my negative energy in the NFL gets directed at Seattle and Arizona

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I admire your passion jrry32 but we're just different people.

Don't ever change I like reading your takes

The joke is probably on me, but I just can't think of a world where i'm in any position to question football decisions made by anyone who gets paid more than 50k to coach the game. I also don't want to put my self in the position of being able to say 'I told ya!', because I will.

I realize the fun of being a fan is being able to ask more from your team and that some coaches are really bad but for some stupid reason i'm a coach apologist and hopelessly naive. I just magically expect bad things to get better in Ram's world. Almost all my negative energy in the NFL gets directed at Seattle and Arizona

Being a Rams fan over the past decade, I don't have a lot of confidence in our coaches. I know what I saw of Goff in college. I know that the Rams saw the same thing because they traded up to draft him. I know that other NFL teams saw the same thing because many coveted him. I know about Fisher's history with rookies, especially rookie QBs. I know what I saw of other QBs in this draft. And I know what I'm seeing now. I can't give Fisher the benefit of the doubt here. He simply hasn't earned it. JMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What was Brady doing before he got his shot?
He was thanking his lucky stars that he got drafted at all, and as a 6th rounder was fortunate enough to make the team. That'd be my guess

I'm just not seeing it. It's not like Keenum has played great football. Looking at the other rookie starters, it's possible Goff leads us to 5 or 6 wins. But even if he didn't light it up like they have, I have a hard time seeing us doing any worse than we have with Keenum.
No doubt
We have 3 wins in 7 games and Keenum has 10 int which is 2nd highest in the league.
The only reason he was starting was that he gave best chance to win, and didn't turn the ball over.
The idea that we would lose more than 4 games with Goff just doesn't fly

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/03/nfl-rams-jared-goff-when-will-he-take-over-rams

Ready or Not, Is It Jared Goff’s Time?
On the heels of three straight losses, calls for the Rams to hand the reins to the No. 1 overall pick are heating up. Is it just a matter of L.A. sticking to a long-term plan, or is there something more that's keeping Jared Goff off the field?
by Emily Kaplan

mmqb-jared-goff-warmups-1.jpg

Photo: Leon Halip/Getty Images

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — Los Angeles waited two decades for its NFL team to return. So forgive Rams fans if they’re impatient regarding their anointed franchise quarterback, Jared Goff. Seven months after L.A. shipped a slew of high draft picks, including its No. 1 in 2017, to Tennessee for the right to select the Cal quarterback first overall, Goff has yet to play a down in the NFL.

While five other rookie quarterbacks have started games this season, the No. 1 pick sits behind Case Keenum, who has the league’s fifth-lowest passer rating and threw four picks in his most recent game, the 17-10 loss to the Giants in London that dropped the Rams to 3-4.

Coach Jeff Fisher maintains that Goff will start “when he’s ready,” but calls for a quarterback change have swelled to the point that, in an interview at practice on Wednesday, Fisher felt obligated to say: “Jared Goff is still our quarterback of the future. He’s still our franchise quarterback, still in our long-term plans. It was a great trade.”

As to whether he’s in the Rams’ short-term plans, and if so when he might play, Fisher declined to offer any timetable: “The worst thing we can do to Jared is say, ‘Hey, here is when it’s going to happen.’” The logical question, especially given the early success of Carson Wentz in Philadelphia and Dak Prescott in Dallas, is: Why isn’t Goff playing? What exactly are coaches working on, and why has the process dragged on for the better part of a year?

“I get it, that’s the big concern right now,” quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke told The MMQB. “Here’s the No. 1 pick, other guys have played, it’s human nature to question, why hasn’t this guy? The simplest answer is it’s a process. We’re not working on one particular thing. We’re really working on a number of variables. Could he be playing right now?

Is he capable of playing in the National Football League right now? My answer would be yes. But if we’re being truly honest with ourselves, and we knew when we went through the process of drafting him, we knew it was going to take some time, and we were OK with that.”

The Rams, privately and publicly, will remind outsiders that the Eagles initially planned to redshirt Wentz, and that Prescott is only starting because of Tony Romo’s injury. But the success of those rookies—specifically of Prescott who, like Goff at Cal, played in a spread offense at Mississippi State—legitimizes the question: If the Rams believe Goff is capable of playing in the NFL, why wait?

Cultivating quarterback talent is a delicate and inexact art. A franchise’s fear is currently playing out in Jacksonville: The Jaguars wanted to sit Blake Bortles as a rookie in 2014, reversed course midseason, thrust the quarterback into action and may have stunted his long-term development.

Two years later Bortles' mechanics seem out of whack. This week the Jags QB summoned a private quarterback coach to Florida for recalibration. Such anecdotes seem to shape the Rams' plan for Goff: mold the young quarterback into a polished product, then plug him in.

“If Jared Goff is playing quarterback, we’re not going to change our offense,” Weinke says. “We have a library [of plays] where we are always able to cater to the quarterback. I mean, that’s just being smart. We do that for Case Keenum, and obviously for Goff we’ll do that as well, where we call things he’s comfortable with and likes. I think we’re being smart right now in not rushing him into a position—not that he’s going to fail, we’re not saying that—but we want to put him in a position to be successful.”

mmqb-jared-goff-case-keenum-1.jpg

Photo: Dan Istitene/Getty Images

Goff’s development may be taking slightly longer because the spread offense he played in at Cal drew on Mike Leach’s up-tempo, pass-happy Air Raid philosophy. While highly favorable to the stat line, Air Raid offenses don’t ask nearly as much of a quarterback in terms of his reads as do NFL pro-style attacks.

Consider former Air Raid quarterbacks whose college productivity didn’t carry over (or hasn’t yet) to the NFL: Tim Couch, Nick Foles, Kevin Kolb, Johnny Manziel, Geno Smith, Brandon Weeden. In fact, Keenum may be the most successful former Air Raid quarterback in the league right now.

In an interview last month for my college column about the Air Raid conundrum, Weeden—a 2012 first-round pick of the Browns who started 15 games as a rookie—brought up Goff’s situation unprompted: “I look at what the Rams are doing and I think it’s awesome,” Weeden said. “By having Case Keenum on the roster, Goff can have a year, a half a year, and redshirt to learn the NFL game.

That’s huge. My rookie year, I had no idea what I was doing a lot of the time. I knew coverages, but they are just so much more complex, dissecting everything—it was impossible. I wish I had been in a situation like Goff’s where I wasn’t forced to be thrown into the fire.”

At Cal, Goff operated out of the shotgun. Now he’s under center, and the footwork is different. That was the first thing Weinke and Goff worked on. “The easiest thing I’ve found is to relate it to what he’s comfortable with,” Weinke says.

Weinke explained to Goff that where he used to take a three-step drop from the shotgun, now it’s simply a five-step drop under center: just add two steps. Goff had been working on his five-step drop even before the draft process, and he had the footwork down by training camp in August.

But it’s more complicated than just adding steps, Weinke notes. “He’s used to [having the ball snapped], getting the ball and going,” Weinke says. “Now he has to make decisions while he takes the ball.” So as Goff gets the ball at the line of scrimmage and retreats back to the position he’s comfortable with, he enters what Weinke calls “information overload.”

“A veteran guy doesn’t have to think about his footwork—he just does it,” Weinke says. “A young guy, he’s always thinking, and then his motor skills slow down. He learned the language, then has to think functionally and act physically.”

According to Weeden, whose college offense at Oklahoma State was similar to Goff’s, adjusting to turning your back to the defense was a tremendous struggle. “That’s a really hard thing to learn,” Weinke says. “It’s awkward to turn your back to linebackers, then get your eyes up and find the defenders again.”

The complexities stretch beyond footwork. The terminology is different, and seven months after he was handed the playbook, Goff can, according to Weinke, “speak the language and articulate it.” But he also must execute it.

At Cal, the quarterback had significantly fewer responsibilities. Tony Franklin, Goff’s offensive coordinator at Cal, often discussed how Goff was given more freedom than any of his previous quarterbacks. Indeed, Cal’s offense evolved with Goff over three years, as the coaches gave him more flexibility, according to Chris B. Brown, author of The Art of Smart Football, who has written about Air Raid offenses extensively.

“By Goff’s final season he could change plays more often, and they were running variations of more formations,” Brown says. “They also did some stuff with protections on the back side, where they’d block the defensive line then let Goff read the linebackers, so it wasn’t totally like he was getting teed off.”

Cal’s offense included run-pass options (RPOs) in which the quarterback, post-snap, chooses whether to run or pass the ball with a series of simplified reads. “As far as RPOs and packaged plays, nobody did it more than Cal,” Brown says. “Literally every play, it was layered on.”

Brown explains further: “It was a binary read—two plays going at once. Look at the weak-side linebacker; if he does this, throw it here, and if he doesn’t, hand it off. It’s not necessarily, ‘Look at the coverage and then identify which side of the field he's going to work and run a strict progression there.’ Which Goff can do, but he has to do it in a different context.”

mmqb-jared-goff-jeff-fisher-rams.jpg

Photo: Harry How/Getty Images

Says Weinke: “Conceptually there were things he did in college that we do here; we just call it something different or take it to the next level, where he always has to identify the linebackers, make protection changes, every play. As it relates to run-pass options and things he did in college?

We have that in our offense, so we have those things he can do. But there is more now. We hear about it all the time—how the college game is transferring, or not transferring, to the NFL game at the quarterback position. Well, here’s a case where it just takes time.”

Time means reps, and once the Rams determined in training camp that Goff wouldn’t be their starter, the bulk of first-team reps went to Keenum. While this slowed Goff’s learning process, it satisfied the Rams’ short-term interest (getting Keenum ready each week) while preserving the long-term vision.

Fisher says the Rams decided to dress Goff as the third quarterback in Week 1 this season so he could see everything that Sean Mannion, the backup, did during the week to prepare. The next week Goff was promoted to No. 2 because the coaching staff felt he could play if needed. Last week’s bye afforded the opportunity for Goff to get a significant number first-team reps. But will he play?

For now it appears the Rams will finish out the plan they committed to, whether it’s right or wrong: insert Goff when they believe he is perfectly polished, then hope the wait was worth it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its a long term process being executed by a short term coaching staff.
What could possibly go wrong?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://ramblinfan.com/2016/11/03/los-angeles-rams-case-keenum-reacts-jared-goff-talk/

Los Angeles Rams’ Case Keenum Reacts to Jared Goff Talk
by Michael Moraitis

9627116-case-keenum-nfl-international-series-new-york-giants-los-angeles-rams-843x560.jpg

Credit: Steve Flynn-USA TODAY Sports

As Case Keenum continues to struggle under center for the Los Angeles Rams, the talk about rookie quarterback Jared Goff finally getting a start is heating up.

It’s only natural that Keenum has heard the noise and it will only grow louder if Keenum performs like he did in Week 7 against the New York Giants when he tossed four picks in a dreadful effort.

Despite Goff’s name being thrown around as his potential replacement sooner rather than later, Keenum isn’t paying attention to any of it and frankly doesn’t care what people think outside of his teammates, as was reported by Rich Hammond of the OC Register:

“What matters to me is the opinions of the 53 in that locker room and the coaches in their room,” Keenum said after Wednesday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “I’m going to go out and try to do the best I can to prepare to put this team in the best situation to win ballgames. That’s what my goal is this week. I’m not worried about anything else, forward or backward.”

Keenum doesn’t have to pay attention to it considering he knows he isn’t playing well enough to keep his job in the first place. Keenum’s spot as the starter is safe for now with the support of head coach Jeff Fisher behind him. However, fans are growing frustrated by the week because Keenum is not getting this Rams offense anywhere.

His inability to stretch the field has been the biggest problem because teams don’t have to respect the pass, thus allowing them to stuff the box and focus on stopping Todd Gurley. The hope is that Goff can change this, but as we all know there have been several reports stating Goff simply isn’t ready.

What Los Angeles Rams Should do with Jared Goff

Maybe this is the best thing for Goff right now. To be honest, the Rams aren’t exactly flush with talent other than Gurley, and the team’s offensive line has been lackluster to say the least. With a bad offensive line and few viable receiving options, Goff would be setup to fail from the jump.

Los Angeles is better off waiting it out with Goff in the hopes that the team can improve during the offseason and put Goff in a better position to succeed. Aside from that, would the Rams really keep their No. 1 overall pick on the bench in the first year back in Los Angeles if he was ready to go? That’s not likely.

While it’s frustrating to see other rookie quarterbacks taking the league by storm, you have to understand that not all quarterbacks are created equal. Some can jump right into the fray, but others need more time to develop. Goff’s time will come, it just isn’t coming right now.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Keenum is Austin Davis or Drew Stanton or Shaun Hill.

IMO he is better than all of them.

I'm looking at this from the correct perspective, that being Keenum is a player that is a backup.

Keenum has played 3 bad games this year. Unfortunately the timing could not have been worse because those games were all winnable. SF, Buffalo and the Giants game were all losses that he made significant contributions towards the outcome. Had he played at a level that would be considered HIS average 2 of those games are very likely wins. At least one is for sure. The only one I will say that he couldn't have changed was the 49ers game because frankly the Rams shit the bed in all three phases plus 10 penalties for over 100 yards. Even Johnny Football couldn't have won that game. :sneaky:

He's played 5 games where he was average to pretty good with one really good game. Sadly he lost his very best game of the season so far. Any QB would, and should, expect to win putting up the numbers he did and 28 points.

Overall he is not doing a terrible job. He's just lacked consistency which is something that HAS to be expected from a backup. That said the Rams as a team have (IMO) left two wins on the table, the Lions and the Giants games. Both of those came down to a few plays made by the other team or not made by the Rams. The Rams as a team weren't really in the other two losses.

This team should be 4-3 right now and that's partially on Keenum, but he's doing a good enough job "to win with".

RamWoodie

Legend
http://ramblinfan.com/2016/11/03/los-angeles-rams-case-keenum-reacts-jared-goff-talk/

Los Angeles Rams’ Case Keenum Reacts to Jared Goff Talk
by Michael Moraitis

9627116-case-keenum-nfl-international-series-new-york-giants-los-angeles-rams-843x560.jpg

Credit: Steve Flynn-USA TODAY Sports

As Case Keenum continues to struggle under center for the Los Angeles Rams, the talk about rookie quarterback Jared Goff finally getting a start is heating up.

It’s only natural that Keenum has heard the noise and it will only grow louder if Keenum performs like he did in Week 7 against the New York Giants when he tossed four picks in a dreadful effort.

Despite Goff’s name being thrown around as his potential replacement sooner rather than later, Keenum isn’t paying attention to any of it and frankly doesn’t care what people think outside of his teammates, as was reported by Rich Hammond of the OC Register:

“What matters to me is the opinions of the 53 in that locker room and the coaches in their room,” Keenum said after Wednesday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “I’m going to go out and try to do the best I can to prepare to put this team in the best situation to win ballgames. That’s what my goal is this week. I’m not worried about anything else, forward or backward.”

Keenum doesn’t have to pay attention to it considering he knows he isn’t playing well enough to keep his job in the first place. Keenum’s spot as the starter is safe for now with the support of head coach Jeff Fisher behind him. However, fans are growing frustrated by the week because Keenum is not getting this Rams offense anywhere.

His inability to stretch the field has been the biggest problem because teams don’t have to respect the pass, thus allowing them to stuff the box and focus on stopping Todd Gurley. The hope is that Goff can change this, but as we all know there have been several reports stating Goff simply isn’t ready.

What Los Angeles Rams Should do with Jared Goff

Maybe this is the best thing for Goff right now. To be honest, the Rams aren’t exactly flush with talent other than Gurley, and the team’s offensive line has been lackluster to say the least. With a bad offensive line and few viable receiving options, Goff would be setup to fail from the jump.

Los Angeles is better off waiting it out with Goff in the hopes that the team can improve during the offseason and put Goff in a better position to succeed. Aside from that, would the Rams really keep their No. 1 overall pick on the bench in the first year back in Los Angeles if he was ready to go? That’s not likely.

While it’s frustrating to see other rookie quarterbacks taking the league by storm, you have to understand that not all quarterbacks are created equal. Some can jump right into the fray, but others need more time to develop. Goff’s time will come, it just isn’t coming right now.
That's great post Prime Time. It's not gonna satisfy the "Goff or bust" types though. All they know is "THEY WANT GOFF".

I had one tell me the staff was "raving" about Goff's peogress and Iveggies never read that from anything.

I'm anxious to see the guy too because he can definitely UT zip on the ball...but I know what I saw in preseason from Goff too. I (just like the coaching staff), concluded he needed work.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/03/nfl-rams-jared-goff-when-will-he-take-over-rams

Ready or Not, Is It Jared Goff’s Time?
On the heels of three straight losses, calls for the Rams to hand the reins to the No. 1 overall pick are heating up. Is it just a matter of L.A. sticking to a long-term plan, or is there something more that's keeping Jared Goff off the field?
by Emily Kaplan

mmqb-jared-goff-warmups-1.jpg

Photo: Leon Halip/Getty Images

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — Los Angeles waited two decades for its NFL team to return. So forgive Rams fans if they’re impatient regarding their anointed franchise quarterback, Jared Goff. Seven months after L.A. shipped a slew of high draft picks, including its No. 1 in 2017, to Tennessee for the right to select the Cal quarterback first overall, Goff has yet to play a down in the NFL.

While five other rookie quarterbacks have started games this season, the No. 1 pick sits behind Case Keenum, who has the league’s fifth-lowest passer rating and threw four picks in his most recent game, the 17-10 loss to the Giants in London that dropped the Rams to 3-4.

Coach Jeff Fisher maintains that Goff will start “when he’s ready,” but calls for a quarterback change have swelled to the point that, in an interview at practice on Wednesday, Fisher felt obligated to say: “Jared Goff is still our quarterback of the future. He’s still our franchise quarterback, still in our long-term plans. It was a great trade.”

As to whether he’s in the Rams’ short-term plans, and if so when he might play, Fisher declined to offer any timetable: “The worst thing we can do to Jared is say, ‘Hey, here is when it’s going to happen.’” The logical question, especially given the early success of Carson Wentz in Philadelphia and Dak Prescott in Dallas, is: Why isn’t Goff playing? What exactly are coaches working on, and why has the process dragged on for the better part of a year?

“I get it, that’s the big concern right now,” quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke told The MMQB. “Here’s the No. 1 pick, other guys have played, it’s human nature to question, why hasn’t this guy? The simplest answer is it’s a process. We’re not working on one particular thing. We’re really working on a number of variables. Could he be playing right now?

Is he capable of playing in the National Football League right now? My answer would be yes. But if we’re being truly honest with ourselves, and we knew when we went through the process of drafting him, we knew it was going to take some time, and we were OK with that.”

The Rams, privately and publicly, will remind outsiders that the Eagles initially planned to redshirt Wentz, and that Prescott is only starting because of Tony Romo’s injury. But the success of those rookies—specifically of Prescott who, like Goff at Cal, played in a spread offense at Mississippi State—legitimizes the question: If the Rams believe Goff is capable of playing in the NFL, why wait?

Cultivating quarterback talent is a delicate and inexact art. A franchise’s fear is currently playing out in Jacksonville: The Jaguars wanted to sit Blake Bortles as a rookie in 2014, reversed course midseason, thrust the quarterback into action and may have stunted his long-term development.

Two years later Bortles' mechanics seem out of whack. This week the Jags QB summoned a private quarterback coach to Florida for recalibration. Such anecdotes seem to shape the Rams' plan for Goff: mold the young quarterback into a polished product, then plug him in.

“If Jared Goff is playing quarterback, we’re not going to change our offense,” Weinke says. “We have a library [of plays] where we are always able to cater to the quarterback. I mean, that’s just being smart. We do that for Case Keenum, and obviously for Goff we’ll do that as well, where we call things he’s comfortable with and likes. I think we’re being smart right now in not rushing him into a position—not that he’s going to fail, we’re not saying that—but we want to put him in a position to be successful.”

mmqb-jared-goff-case-keenum-1.jpg

Photo: Dan Istitene/Getty Images

Goff’s development may be taking slightly longer because the spread offense he played in at Cal drew on Mike Leach’s up-tempo, pass-happy Air Raid philosophy. While highly favorable to the stat line, Air Raid offenses don’t ask nearly as much of a quarterback in terms of his reads as do NFL pro-style attacks.

Consider former Air Raid quarterbacks whose college productivity didn’t carry over (or hasn’t yet) to the NFL: Tim Couch, Nick Foles, Kevin Kolb, Johnny Manziel, Geno Smith, Brandon Weeden. In fact, Keenum may be the most successful former Air Raid quarterback in the league right now.

In an interview last month for my college column about the Air Raid conundrum, Weeden—a 2012 first-round pick of the Browns who started 15 games as a rookie—brought up Goff’s situation unprompted: “I look at what the Rams are doing and I think it’s awesome,” Weeden said. “By having Case Keenum on the roster, Goff can have a year, a half a year, and redshirt to learn the NFL game.

That’s huge. My rookie year, I had no idea what I was doing a lot of the time. I knew coverages, but they are just so much more complex, dissecting everything—it was impossible. I wish I had been in a situation like Goff’s where I wasn’t forced to be thrown into the fire.”

At Cal, Goff operated out of the shotgun. Now he’s under center, and the footwork is different. That was the first thing Weinke and Goff worked on. “The easiest thing I’ve found is to relate it to what he’s comfortable with,” Weinke says.

Weinke explained to Goff that where he used to take a three-step drop from the shotgun, now it’s simply a five-step drop under center: just add two steps. Goff had been working on his five-step drop even before the draft process, and he had the footwork down by training camp in August.

But it’s more complicated than just adding steps, Weinke notes. “He’s used to [having the ball snapped], getting the ball and going,” Weinke says. “Now he has to make decisions while he takes the ball.” So as Goff gets the ball at the line of scrimmage and retreats back to the position he’s comfortable with, he enters what Weinke calls “information overload.”

“A veteran guy doesn’t have to think about his footwork—he just does it,” Weinke says. “A young guy, he’s always thinking, and then his motor skills slow down. He learned the language, then has to think functionally and act physically.”

According to Weeden, whose college offense at Oklahoma State was similar to Goff’s, adjusting to turning your back to the defense was a tremendous struggle. “That’s a really hard thing to learn,” Weinke says. “It’s awkward to turn your back to linebackers, then get your eyes up and find the defenders again.”

The complexities stretch beyond footwork. The terminology is different, and seven months after he was handed the playbook, Goff can, according to Weinke, “speak the language and articulate it.” But he also must execute it.

At Cal, the quarterback had significantly fewer responsibilities. Tony Franklin, Goff’s offensive coordinator at Cal, often discussed how Goff was given more freedom than any of his previous quarterbacks. Indeed, Cal’s offense evolved with Goff over three years, as the coaches gave him more flexibility, according to Chris B. Brown, author of The Art of Smart Football, who has written about Air Raid offenses extensively.

“By Goff’s final season he could change plays more often, and they were running variations of more formations,” Brown says. “They also did some stuff with protections on the back side, where they’d block the defensive line then let Goff read the linebackers, so it wasn’t totally like he was getting teed off.”

Cal’s offense included run-pass options (RPOs) in which the quarterback, post-snap, chooses whether to run or pass the ball with a series of simplified reads. “As far as RPOs and packaged plays, nobody did it more than Cal,” Brown says. “Literally every play, it was layered on.”

Brown explains further: “It was a binary read—two plays going at once. Look at the weak-side linebacker; if he does this, throw it here, and if he doesn’t, hand it off. It’s not necessarily, ‘Look at the coverage and then identify which side of the field he's going to work and run a strict progression there.’ Which Goff can do, but he has to do it in a different context.”

mmqb-jared-goff-jeff-fisher-rams.jpg

Photo: Harry How/Getty Images

Says Weinke: “Conceptually there were things he did in college that we do here; we just call it something different or take it to the next level, where he always has to identify the linebackers, make protection changes, every play. As it relates to run-pass options and things he did in college?

We have that in our offense, so we have those things he can do. But there is more now. We hear about it all the time—how the college game is transferring, or not transferring, to the NFL game at the quarterback position. Well, here’s a case where it just takes time.”

Time means reps, and once the Rams determined in training camp that Goff wouldn’t be their starter, the bulk of first-team reps went to Keenum. While this slowed Goff’s learning process, it satisfied the Rams’ short-term interest (getting Keenum ready each week) while preserving the long-term vision.

Fisher says the Rams decided to dress Goff as the third quarterback in Week 1 this season so he could see everything that Sean Mannion, the backup, did during the week to prepare. The next week Goff was promoted to No. 2 because the coaching staff felt he could play if needed. Last week’s bye afforded the opportunity for Goff to get a significant number first-team reps. But will he play?

For now it appears the Rams will finish out the plan they committed to, whether it’s right or wrong: insert Goff when they believe he is perfectly polished, then hope the wait was worth it.

I knew he'd have a lot to learn but this article makes it sound much more challenging than I thought it'd be.

I really don't expect him to start/play much this year now.

Is that the right thing to do? All I can say is... when they do put him in, after all the talk about how meticulously they brought him along, my expectations will be pretty high.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I knew he'd have a lot to learn but this article makes it sound much more challenging than I thought it'd be.

I really don't expect him to start/play much this year now.

Is that the right thing to do? All I can say is... when they do put him in, after all the talk about how meticulously they brought him along, my expectations will be pretty high.

Same here, and I think that it's fair to expect him to look really good really quickly.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher to Goff, "Cross THIS line and you can start"
post-26206-Yosemite-Sam-keeps-crossing-Bu-vFRB.gif

JackStraw

Rookie
This team should be 4-3 right now and that's partially on Keenum, but he's doing a good enough job "to win with".
I think we'd still be 3-4. Keenum did the little things just exactly perfect to beat SEA and AZ. I can't imagine Goff winning those games. Nothing can convince me otherwise. But do believe if we want to win 3 out of next 4 our best option is the kid.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO he is better than all of them.

Yet, his production is not any better than theirs. Our scheme and WRs are playing better than ever, but he's still producing like those guys.

I think we'd still be 3-4. Keenum did the little things just exactly perfect to beat SEA and AZ. I can't imagine Goff winning those games. Nothing can convince me otherwise. But do believe if we want to win 3 out of next 4 our best option is the kid.

We scored 9 points against Seattle and 17 points against Arizona. The game-winning TD against Arizona came after Tavon Austin almost returned a punt for the a TD.

JackStraw

Rookie
We scored 9 points against Seattle and 17 points against Arizona. The game-winning TD against Arizona came after Tavon Austin almost returned a punt for the a TD.
You come off as quite the black/white thinker. I feel the gray area is nearly infinite in professional sports.It's it makes them so fun to discuss.
We didn't turn the ball over. I just know we won those very importiant games. Nobody knows if we win them with a different squad. I'm done defending myself.

(y)

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
There's no chance that Fisher could announce Goff as the starter at this post right?

JackStraw

Rookie
There's a reason Goff isn't playing and there's no way in hell guys like us are going to get an explanation. Why would the organization be honest with the press/public? It's really not our business, I guess. This isn't the 1940s, sport's journalism is in the business to sell advertising, get clicks, feel special with an access badge and to spin fairy tales. Maybe i'm being a bit dramatic, but to expect a professional sport's club to be honest about roster decisions to strangers and opponents is insane.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Goffs biggest advantage over Keenum just happens to be Keenums biggest limitation. Goff can get the ball to the reciever without giving the defender a chance to react.

JackStraw

Rookie
Can someone fill me in and tell me whether or not Goff has any elusiveness under duress? Can he absorb a hit? Can he scramble outside the pocket and pick up a first down if it's open?

I really don't know much about this kid other than he is supposed to be an NFL QB. First year in about 18 years I don't have any idea what's expected of the number one QB prospect or what his body of work was in collegiate ball and my team decides to roll some dice on his future.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Can someone fill me in and tell me whether or not Goff has any elusiveness under duress? Can he absorb a hit? Can he scramble outside the pocket and pick up a first down if it's open?

I really don't know much about this kid other than he is supposed to be an NFL QB. First year in about 18 years I don't have any idea what's expected of the number one QB prospect or what his body of work was in collegiate ball and my team decides to roll some dice on his future.
There are a quadrillion college highlights you can look at, but that will only show you that he was good in college and will tell you nothing about how he operates in a Pro NFL Offense. Here's a video put out by the Rams with his preseason highlights. Don't let it discourage you though. This was learning on the job stuff you'd expect from most rookies.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Ml0-Q0_D8