Boras: Goff IS ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You come off as quite the black/white thinker. I feel the gray area is nearly infinite in professional sports.It's it makes them so fun to discuss.
We didn't turn the ball over. I just know we won those very importiant games. Nobody knows if we win them with a different squad. I'm done defending myself.

(y)

We didn't turn the ball over? Yes. That is true. We also barely scored. What we know is that our defense and special teams showed up to play those days.

You're right. We won those games. We also lost 4 games that many thought we'd win. Nobody knows for sure what would have happened with Goff as the starter. But the unfortunate truth is that Keenum didn't set the bar high.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can someone fill me in and tell me whether or not Goff has any elusiveness under duress?

Yes. This is one of his best attributes. Great footwork and movement in the pocket.

Can he absorb a hit?

Yes. He had a bad OL in college.

Can he scramble outside the pocket and pick up a first down if it's open?

Yes. He might be faster than Keenum. He showed good judgement in college when to run. He can take off if you give him a lane.

I really don't know much about this kid other than he is supposed to be an NFL QB. First year in about 18 years I don't have any idea what's expected of the number one QB prospect or what his body of work was in collegiate ball and my team decides to roll some dice on his future.

There are some really good write-ups on Goff on this board and others. He's a very talented kid.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In an interview last month for my college column about the Air Raid conundrum, Weeden—a 2012 first-round pick of the Browns who started 15 games as a rookie—brought up Goff’s situation unprompted: “I look at what the Rams are doing and I think it’s awesome,” Weeden said. “By having Case Keenum on the roster, Goff can have a year, a half a year, and redshirt to learn the NFL game. That’s huge. My rookie year, I had no idea what I was doing a lot of the time. I knew coverages, but they are just so much more complex, dissecting everything—it was impossible. I wish I had been in a situation like Goff’s where I wasn’t forced to be thrown into the fire.”
interesting stuff right there...but anyone could tell Weeden was confused most of the time...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is a quadrillion more then a plethora?
351a7f2d5e7245c780c5d1c214f4f456.jpeg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I knew he'd have a lot to learn but this article makes it sound much more challenging than I thought it'd be.

I really don't expect him to start/play much this year now.

Is that the right thing to do? All I can say is... when they do put him in, after all the talk about how meticulously they brought him along, my expectations will be pretty high.

Well, that's their message. He won't start until he's ready. That means he shouldn't make any rookie mistakes. Next year, once Goff starts, if he makes bonehead mistakes and fisher says it's his first year starting and it's to be expected he'll have some problems I'm gonna lose my shit.

RamWoodie

Legend
Well, that's their message. He won't start until he's ready. That means he shouldn't make any rookie mistakes. Next year, once Goff starts, if he makes bonehead mistakes and fisher says it's his first year starting and it's to be expected he'll have some problems I'm gonna lose my crap.
No one ever said Goff can't make mistakes, all rookie QBs do. The most telling example of what's holding Goff back is in the post Prime Time put up...here's what the problem is:

"In an interview last month for my college column about the Air Raid conundrum, Weeden—a 2012 first-round pick of the Browns who started 15 games as a rookie—brought up Goff’s situation unprompted: “I look at what the Rams are doing and I think it’s awesome,” Weeden said. “By having Case Keenum on the roster, Goff can have a year, a half a year, and redshirt to learn the NFL game.

That’s huge. My rookie year, I had no idea what I was doing a lot of the time. I knew coverages, but they are just so much more complex, dissecting everything—it was impossible. I wish I had been in a situation like Goff’s where I wasn’t forced to be thrown into the fire.”

At Cal, Goff operated out of the shotgun. Now he’s under center, and the footwork is different. That was the first thing Weinke and Goff worked on. “The easiest thing I’ve found is to relate it to what he’s comfortable with,” Weinke says."

When it comes to Goff, all these things can be exacerbated to a greater or lesser degree. Here's the thing though...the Rams ARE NOT going to communicate to the world what Goff is struggling with...THIS IS WHY when it comes to all of us talking on this subject, we really don't know what the major hurdle has been for Goff...we're generally guessing. What was glaring to me in the preseason was these factors:

*The speed of the game.

*Reading defenses.

* Feeling the pocket

What I do know is this...let's say that Case takes a big hit Sunday and Goff has to come in...at that point, perhaps we'll all learn where Goff is. Obviously, as Weinke said they have plays that they know Goff can run...but at that point the offense definitely becomes limited based on the kid's progress since preseason.

I know this also...many of the WRs really speak glowingly on how well Goff throws the ball. I listened to Quick talk about it...and you could tell he was so excited about how well Goff can throw.

If we all just calm down, and let Goff get *whatever* together, satisfying the staff that he's ready, we may see a much improved player.

jap

Legend
I know this also...many of the WRs really speak glowingly on how well Goff throws the ball. I listened to Quick talk about it...and you could tell he was so excited about how well Goff can throw.

Quickie should be excited. He has been running routes downfield for much of the past three years now (late 2013 to present) where the backup QBs we have had starting in much of that time lacked the arm strength or accuracy to get him the rock.

I must admit I was hoping to see Jared by this time. However, I understand what the coaches are trying to do more clearly now. It's a shame the Express! has to suffer from a severe case of being over-keyed against. You need that golden arm strength & accuracy to make opposing defenses pay for being all over Todd. Case has had his moments, but they are way too few and far between. However, dating back to the forum discussions we have had since late last season, some of us realized that Case just simply wasn't going to be the guy to free the Express!.

Marshall Faulk couldn't do much of anything running wise for a little over the first quarter of the 1999 season because DC's ordered their troops to crowd Marshall and force this unknown Hy-Vee stock boy to beat them through the air. After Special K proved he could consistently make them pay in spades if they over=focused on Faulk, the DC's were forced to back off to more balanced defensive alignments. TGII is in an extended version of Marshall's early 1999 quandary because we are stuck with Case, and he is no Special K! Isn't it ironic that our former mad scientific head coach, Mad Mike, compared Jared to Kurt? And we know without question that Martz knows QB's and WR's! It's a shame Mike is not the one supervising Jared's tutelage---Goff might be much further along than our incumbent coaches have led him thus far.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brandon Weeden was like 30 when he was a rookie. And he says he wished he could have sat out a year or two to learn? Good grief he'd almost qualify for social security at that rate.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No one ever said Goff can't make mistakes, all rookie QBs do. The most telling example of what's holding Goff back is in the post Prime Time put up...here's what the problem is:

"In an interview last month for my college column about the Air Raid conundrum, Weeden—a 2012 first-round pick of the Browns who started 15 games as a rookie—brought up Goff’s situation unprompted: “I look at what the Rams are doing and I think it’s awesome,” Weeden said. “By having Case Keenum on the roster, Goff can have a year, a half a year, and redshirt to learn the NFL game.

That’s huge. My rookie year, I had no idea what I was doing a lot of the time. I knew coverages, but they are just so much more complex, dissecting everything—it was impossible. I wish I had been in a situation like Goff’s where I wasn’t forced to be thrown into the fire.”

At Cal, Goff operated out of the shotgun. Now he’s under center, and the footwork is different. That was the first thing Weinke and Goff worked on. “The easiest thing I’ve found is to relate it to what he’s comfortable with,” Weinke says."

When it comes to Goff, all these things can be exacerbated to a greater or lesser degree. Here's the thing though...the Rams ARE NOT going to communicate to the world what Goff is struggling with...THIS IS WHY when it comes to all of us talking on this subject, we really don't know what the major hurdle has been for Goff...we're generally guessing. What was glaring to me in the preseason was these factors:

*The speed of the game.

*Reading defenses.

* Feeling the pocket

What I do know is this...let's say that Case takes a big hit Sunday and Goff has to come in...at that point, perhaps we'll all learn where Goff is. Obviously, as Weinke said they have plays that they know Goff can run...but at that point the offense definitely becomes limited based on the kid's progress since preseason.

If we all just calm down, and let Goff get *whatever* together, satisfying the staff that he's ready, we may see a much improved player.

He won't be a rookie next year. That's the point. We don't want him making rookie mistakes next year, we want him making them this year.

RamWoodie

Legend
Quickie should be excited. He has been running routes downfield for much of the past three years now (late 2013 to present) where the backup QBs we have had starting in much of that time lacked the arm strength or accuracy to get him the rock.

I must admit I was hoping to see Jared by this time. However, I understand what the coaches are trying to do more clearly now. It's a shame the Express! has to suffer from a severe case of being over-keyed against. You need that golden arm strength & accuracy to make opposing defenses pay for being all over Todd. Case has had his moments, but they are way too few and far between. However, dating back to the forum discussions we have had since late last season, some of us realized that Case just simply wasn't going to be the guy to free the Express!.

Marshall Faulk couldn't do much of anything running wise for a little over the first quarter of the 1999 season because DC's ordered their troops to crowd Marshall and force this unknown Hy-Vee stock boy to beat them through the air. After Special K proved he could consistently make them pay in spades if they over=focused on Faulk, the DC's were forced to back off to more balanced defensive alignments. TGII is in an extended version of Marshall's early 1999 quandary because we are stuck with Case, and he is no Special K! Isn't it ironic that our former mad scientific head coach, Mad Mike, compared Jared to Kurt? And we know without question that Martz knows QB's and WR's! It's a shame Mike is not the one supervising Jared's tutelage---Goff might be much further along than our incumbent coaches have led him thus far.
When the Rams were in ST Louis last year, I went to the SF game...Foles was the QB and I made it a point to watch Quick play during that game. Quick was open many times but never got the ball. I had to conclude Foles simply had no connection with Quick at WR. Quick hadn't established any rhythm with Foles...and Foles simply didn't read defenses well. We KNOW QBs throw the ball to those he has comfort with and knows where they'll be...especially when he's scrambling.

This year we see Keenum has good rhythm with all the WRs...he spreads the ball around well. However under Fisher, the Rams have been a team that seldom uses the TE often...and I think that's another area where this offenses hurts. Kendricks is a very good TE and the rookie, Higbee has very good potential too...the Rams have to use their TEs more in these games.

When it comes to Goff...let's not forget Mad Mike got Ram QBs killed a lot too. Both Warner and Bulger got beat up because Martz was so pass happy....the result was concussions!!! We don't want that to happen to Goff. Goff's release is faster than Warner's.

In preseason, (if you knew what you were looking at)...you could see clearly that there were plays when Goff had only ONE TARGET. If that target was open, the ball was out quickly. That was the first indicator that Goff was struggling reading defense.

I "think" one of the major things the Rams have been doing with Goff is working on defensive sets so he understands that certain sets dictate where the ball goes. We know early on it was stated that Goff had problems with the playbook too...but I think he has a pretty good grasp on that.

In the Boras interview, it was clear they've pretty much moved from the classroom. They want progress in the mental area now with Goff. Boras feels that's coming to fruition.

Where early on I felt we wouldn't see Goff this year...we may very well see him soon.

jap

Legend
When it comes to Goff...let's not forget Mad Mike got Ram QBs killed a lot too. Both Warner and Bulger got beat up because Martz was so pass happy....the result was concussions!!! We don't want that to happen to Goff.

That occurred much more often when Mike became head coach. Under Vermeil, the QB's received better protection, despite Martz' usage of empty backfields. I greatly suspect Fish would want his QB's to stay healthy as much as Dickie V did. It also is worth noting that mad Mike himself admitted being guilty of not protecting his QB's as well as he should.

Goff's release is faster than Warner's.

Are you sure about this? Kurt was pretty quick. I once saw a tri-screen comparison between the release efforts of Kurt, Dan Marino, and Marc Bulger. Dan the Man was slightly faster than Kurt and slightly slower than Marc. It's exciting just having a QB again sharing the release speed and sheer accuracy zip code of these three field generals. Jared could turn tiny Tavon into a downfield monster with his strength, height, accuracy, and rare touch.

RamWoodie

Legend
Are you sure about this? Kurt was pretty quick. I once saw a tri-screen comparison between the release efforts of Kurt, Dan Marino, and Marc Bulger. Dan the Man was slightly faster than Kurt and slightly slower than Marc. It's exciting just having a QB again sharing the release speed and sheer accuracy zip code of these three field generals. Jared could turn tiny Tavon into a downfield monster with his strength, height, accuracy, and rare touch.
Well...I only have a small sample of Goff...but look at his preseason video...that ball get's out quick!!!

jap

Legend
Well...I only have a small sample of Goff...but look at his preseason video...that ball get's out quick!!!

Yeah, I saw the pre-season game. I would like to know how fast his release time is numerically and how it compares to Dan, Kurt, & Marc. Still, if he can whip the rock past Richard Sherman to find Kenny, Quickie, or tiny Tavon, that is icing enough for me. :sneaky: