Bonsignore: Rams' coaching search likely to focus on up-and-coming assistants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' coaching search likely to focus on up-and-coming assistants such as Kyle Shanahan, Josh McDaniels

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

It was bound to happen, of course. The Rams have a head coach opening and a need to make a big splash considering the sizable stage provided by the second-biggest market in the country.

With season tickets to sell and PSLs to pitch and a new fan base to entice and plenty of eyeballs standing on the sidelines just waiting for a reason to be turned, it made sense to assume the Rams would reach for the stars to grab everyone’s attention with a big-splash hire.

And so the narrative and rumors immediately began churning upon the Rams cutting ties with Jeff Fisher.

Jim Harbaugh was simply a phone call and a sizable chunk of Stan Kroenke’s billions away from leaving Michigan for Los Angeles.

Pete Carroll was a primary focus. Jon Gruden was interested. Asshole Face was on the short list.

Never mind all the above “candidates” already have great coaching jobs or, in Gruden's case, a cushy, high-paying TV gig he’d have to have his head examined to want to leave for the grind and rigors and headaches of coaching in the NFL.

Big names equal plenty of clicks, don’t forget. And if pushing your client’s name out there means getting a raise or a couple of years tacked on to the current contract, hey, all the better.

So let the rumors begin.

Or, as a high-ranking NFL official who’s been down this road before sighed this week, “Next week it will be Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.”

In other words, nonsense.

Look, history has shown coaching searches sometimes take wild turns on a dime. So it behooves everyone to hold off eliminating anyone just yet.

But there is a world of difference between possible and probable, so best not to get caught up in the big stars residing in far away galaxies.

Back here on earth, some compelling evidence is emerging to suggest the Rams have begun focusing on current NFL assistants standing one rung away from a coveted head coaching job. With the two most prominent targets Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

Which makes sense, considering the soft push they’ve applied to the gas pedal since showing Fisher the door lines up with the rules they must adhere to in talking to assistant coaches.

The Rams aren’t allowed to contact current assistants until after the season ends, and with most of the hot candidates coaching playoffs teams the wait is even longer in some cases.

If a potential target is coaching a team that earns a bye through the first round, the Rams can talk to him during the off week. After the wild-card round, they can talk to assistants from winning teams but only with the permission from their current teams.

After the conference championship round, they can interview for a second time a candidate from a Super Bowl participant they interviewed earlier.

Which brings us back to Shanahan and McDaniels.

With the Patriots having already earned a first-round bye, the Rams can talk to McDaniels as early as Jan. 2, or a day after the Patriots finish the regular season against the Miami Dolphins.

As for Shanahan, there is still an outside chance the Falcons finish with the second-best record in the NFC and a first-round bye. If so, the Rams can talk to him at the end of the regular season. If not, they have to wait one week.

Of all the names being bandied about, these two make the most sense.

Shanahan, though, might check off a few more boxes.

While McDaniels is associated exclusively with the Bill Belichick coaching tree, Shanahan was groomed under his celebrated father, Mike, and Super Bowl-winning coaches Jon Gruden and Gary Kubiak.

And while most of McDaniels’ success has been tied into working with Belichick and future Hall of Famer Tom Brady – not that there is anything wrong with that – Shanahan’s body of work is much more well-rounded.

He has turned Matt Ryan and the Falcons into an offensive juggernaut this year, with the Falcons leading the NFL in scoring and trailing only the New Orleans Saints in yards per game.

In previous years, Shanahan helped get 3,200 yards and 20 touchdowns out of Washington rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III and 1,613 yards out of rookie running back Alfred Morris in 2012.

In the process he proved his flexibility by constructing an offense that fit the skill set of RG3 rather than the other way around.

And as the offensive coordinator with the Houston Texans from 2008-09 he helped construct an offense that produced the third-most yards in the NFL in 2008 and a top-5 yardage offense and 10th-best scoring offense in 2009. His quarterback, Matt Schaub, threw for 4,770 yards and 29 touchdowns in 2009, Andre Johnson eclipsed 1,500 receiving yards in back-to-back seasons and Steve Slaton ran for 1,282 yards in 2008.

If you want to pin RG3’s demise on Shanahan rather than injuries, do so at your own risk. But keep in mind Shanahan has all but dispelled that narrative by pushing Ryan and the Falcons as high as they’ve ever been this year.

Keep in mind as well: RG3 and Schaub both had their best years with Shanahan as their coordinator, and Ryan is on pace to have his best season.

If you’re the Rams, that’s an attractive resume considering the need for an established track record of offensive success. With so much riding on the development and success of rookie quarterback Jared Goff, Shanahan makes a lot of sense.

That doesn’t mean he gets the job.

But if you’re wise, the focus should be in his direction rather than the Grudens or Harbaughs of the galaxy.

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If David Shaw is a no too, Kyle Shanahan is my guy with his Dad included someway in the organization.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Next week....Rams searching for high profile college coaches.

fearsomefour

Legend
The problem with McDaniels is likely he will be unavailable until Feb.
Sitting around hoping for McDaniels while everyone else gets snatched up is a bad idea in my opinion.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
The problem with McDaniels is likely he will be unavailable until Feb.
Sitting around hoping for McDaniels while everyone else gets snatched up is a bad idea in my opinion.
I believe you can start talking to him after the regular season ends though, even though they are playoff bound, but I may be wrong about that. Although I want Shanahan(s).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe you can start talking to him after the regular season ends though, even though they are playoff bound, but I may be wrong about that. Although I want Shanahan(s).
Yup, can interview him during bye week

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've been posting it since the day Fisher got fired. Rams need to get the most qualified veteran HC. That's Mike Shanahan. Not Jim or John Harbaugh, (both currently employed), not John Gruden (out of the NFL 8 years), Not Josh McDaniels or Kyle Shanahan who both have little or no HC experience.

Rams have a rookie QB that needs to be developed. Mike was instrumental in John Elway's development. Mike wanted Kirk Cousin's to start over RGIII when no one knew anything about Cousins and he was over ruled by owner Dan Snyder, and it turns out Cousins really is the beter QB and Mike was right.

With an NFL record of 170-138 .552% 8-6 in post season with 3 SB wins (one as OC with SF, 2 as HC of Denver), Mike Shanahan is by far the most qualified and experienced person for a HC. He knows football and what it takes to win a SB, I'd like to see Kroenke make him a Ram in any capacity.

I'm tired of the Rams taking a gamble and bringing in "up and coming" OC, only to find out he can't cut it. I'm tired of waiting and spending a whole season watching a rookie HC flounder.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I've been posting it since the day Fisher got fired. Rams need to get the most qualified veteran HC. That's Mike Shanahan. Not Jim or John Harbaugh, (both currently employed), not John Gruden (out of the NFL 8 years), Not Josh McDaniels or Kyle Shanahan who both have little or no HC experience.

Rams have a rookie QB that needs to be developed. Mike was instrumental in John Elway's development. Mike wanted Kirk Cousin's to start over RGIII when no one knew anything about Cousins and he was over ruled by owner Dan Snyder, and it turns out Cousins really is the beter QB and Mike was right.

With an NFL record of 170-138 .552% 8-6 in post season with 3 SB wins (one as OC with SF, 2 as HC of Denver), Mike Shanahan is by far the most qualified and experienced person for a HC. He knows football and what it takes to win a SB, I'd like to see Kroenke make him a Ram in any capacity.

I'm tired of the Rams taking a gamble and bringing in "up and coming" OC, only to find out he can't cut it. I'm tired of waiting and spending a whole season watching a rookie HC flounder.

He doesn't want to coach anymore.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't like McDaniels. I think he is a good fit in Belicheat's system as an OC... but I have a terrible feeling about him being a HC.

Besides... seeing him on the sidelines for us would be like looking at Daniel Tosh masquerading as our HC. They must be related somehow.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
We get Mike in an advisory role with Kyle. Best of both worlds. I'm warming up to this idea

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
As long as it's an offensive coach, I'll be on board. No more defensive dinosaurs that play a prevent offense and handcuff the OC.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I just posted this on the Herd in response to @Rams43

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I think every "method" is a crapshoot myself

We've seen every possible method succeed and fail. Are some people better at picking a person to take over as HC? Maybe, but I've never heard of that person..........have you? It's like the draft, even if you have the #1 overall pick there is always doubt until the person is doing the job.

The thing I see that makes me say that the HC is less important than the QB/GM/Owner is because the fail rate is higher. How many HC's in the NFL have more than 3 years on the job? Answer......ELEVEN. Essentially only one third of the NFL. And that number will probably drop because Harbaugh may be on the way out in BAL.

We see guys win Coach of the Year awards then get fired 3 years later. We see one season turnarounds that turn back around into failed seasons all the time. Did those guys forget to coach correctly? Or is it something else.

IMO in many sports coaching is over rated. Like I've said about 80% of these guys are all the same thing. The other 20% are made up of guys who know what to do and how to do it and guys who stink at the job. So a majority of the time (IMO) it comes down to the guy picking the players. And I don't want a HC picking the players, it's seemingly never worked well or at least it's really rare that it works out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams' coaching search likely to focus on up-and-coming assistants such as Kyle Shanahan, Josh McDaniels

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

It was bound to happen, of course. The Rams have a head coach opening and a need to make a big splash considering the sizable stage provided by the second-biggest market in the country.

With season tickets to sell and PSLs to pitch and a new fan base to entice and plenty of eyeballs standing on the sidelines just waiting for a reason to be turned, it made sense to assume the Rams would reach for the stars to grab everyone’s attention with a big-splash hire.

And so the narrative and rumors immediately began churning upon the Rams cutting ties with Jeff Fisher.

Jim Harbaugh was simply a phone call and a sizable chunk of Stan Kroenke’s billions away from leaving Michigan for Los Angeles.

Pete Carroll was a primary focus. Jon Gruden was interested. Asshole Face was on the short list.

Never mind all the above “candidates” already have great coaching jobs or, in Gruden's case, a cushy, high-paying TV gig he’d have to have his head examined to want to leave for the grind and rigors and headaches of coaching in the NFL.

Big names equal plenty of clicks, don’t forget. And if pushing your client’s name out there means getting a raise or a couple of years tacked on to the current contract, hey, all the better.

So let the rumors begin.

Or, as a high-ranking NFL official who’s been down this road before sighed this week, “Next week it will be Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.”

In other words, nonsense.

Look, history has shown coaching searches sometimes take wild turns on a dime. So it behooves everyone to hold off eliminating anyone just yet.

But there is a world of difference between possible and probable, so best not to get caught up in the big stars residing in far away galaxies.

Back here on earth, some compelling evidence is emerging to suggest the Rams have begun focusing on current NFL assistants standing one rung away from a coveted head coaching job. With the two most prominent targets Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

Which makes sense, considering the soft push they’ve applied to the gas pedal since showing Fisher the door lines up with the rules they must adhere to in talking to assistant coaches.

The Rams aren’t allowed to contact current assistants until after the season ends, and with most of the hot candidates coaching playoffs teams the wait is even longer in some cases.

If a potential target is coaching a team that earns a bye through the first round, the Rams can talk to him during the off week. After the wild-card round, they can talk to assistants from winning teams but only with the permission from their current teams.

After the conference championship round, they can interview for a second time a candidate from a Super Bowl participant they interviewed earlier.

Which brings us back to Shanahan and McDaniels.

With the Patriots having already earned a first-round bye, the Rams can talk to McDaniels as early as Jan. 2, or a day after the Patriots finish the regular season against the Miami Dolphins.

As for Shanahan, there is still an outside chance the Falcons finish with the second-best record in the NFC and a first-round bye. If so, the Rams can talk to him at the end of the regular season. If not, they have to wait one week.

Of all the names being bandied about, these two make the most sense.

Shanahan, though, might check off a few more boxes.

While McDaniels is associated exclusively with the Bill Belichick coaching tree, Shanahan was groomed under his celebrated father, Mike, and Super Bowl-winning coaches Jon Gruden and Gary Kubiak.

And while most of McDaniels’ success has been tied into working with Belichick and future Hall of Famer Tom Brady – not that there is anything wrong with that – Shanahan’s body of work is much more well-rounded.

He has turned Matt Ryan and the Falcons into an offensive juggernaut this year, with the Falcons leading the NFL in scoring and trailing only the New Orleans Saints in yards per game.

In previous years, Shanahan helped get 3,200 yards and 20 touchdowns out of Washington rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III and 1,613 yards out of rookie running back Alfred Morris in 2012.

In the process he proved his flexibility by constructing an offense that fit the skill set of RG3 rather than the other way around.

And as the offensive coordinator with the Houston Texans from 2008-09 he helped construct an offense that produced the third-most yards in the NFL in 2008 and a top-5 yardage offense and 10th-best scoring offense in 2009. His quarterback, Matt Schaub, threw for 4,770 yards and 29 touchdowns in 2009, Andre Johnson eclipsed 1,500 receiving yards in back-to-back seasons and Steve Slaton ran for 1,282 yards in 2008.

If you want to pin RG3’s demise on Shanahan rather than injuries, do so at your own risk. But keep in mind Shanahan has all but dispelled that narrative by pushing Ryan and the Falcons as high as they’ve ever been this year.

Keep in mind as well: RG3 and Schaub both had their best years with Shanahan as their coordinator, and Ryan is on pace to have his best season.

If you’re the Rams, that’s an attractive resume considering the need for an established track record of offensive success. With so much riding on the development and success of rookie quarterback Jared Goff, Shanahan makes a lot of sense.

That doesn’t mean he gets the job.

But if you’re wise, the focus should be in his direction rather than the Grudens or Harbaughs of the galaxy.

[www.ocregister.com]
This piece has me liking Shanahan more than I did before reading it, but I'm still not 100% Sold on him!
I don't see the Rams making their decision before the end of January, But I also want to see what kind of Staff the New HC brings with him! That will tell us a lot about the Teams Direction/Identity!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We get Mike in an advisory role with Kyle.
I totally agree about getting an experienced NFL HC who has demonstrated he can build a sustainable winner.

I just keep coming back to thinking the skill set of a successful NFL HC requires so much:
* First, tremendous organizational skills
The organized way of developing game plans, coordinating with the staff and players, media demands, other
demands... you've got to be immensely organized.
* Being able to connect with the players of today in a way that motivates them, while holding them accountable.
Not easy!
* Talent acquisition - coaches being the most import initially, then player acquisition
* Having a vision AND EXECUTING ON IT
Fisher had a vision (tough defense, run the ball) but he veered away from it so many times, nothing had a chance
to solidify. Nothing was given enough time.
Have a vision, develop effective schemes and execute.
Again, not easy!

Coordinators may be exposed to all of that but they are not responsible for making it all happen.

So, if they go the Kyle Shanahan route, the only way I'd be comfortable is if his dad were very involved in a consulting role. Help guide his son in the formidable task of keeping all these balls in the air simultaneously... and successfully.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I don't think that's true Jack. What he said was he's not "looking" for a head coaching job.

The way he answered that question it struck me as a "of course I am interested but my kid's a better option with his youth and energy." Don't underestimate the value of this job brother, I guarantee if Stan called him for an interview he'd be on the next flight to LAX.

fearsomefour

Legend
Could be.
Whether Billicheat would allow it or not is another question.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I think Mike would like that idea, he likes the Rams defense, and would want to be in an advisory role to get a team to the Super Bowl. But he wants to know if an organization even wants to get there, that may be the sticking point.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsnX0S_9ZJM

Nice, although this is Grade A nepotism, it seems substantial if it means improving the team as a whole.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't like McDaniels. I think he is a good fit in Belicheat's system as an OC... but I have a terrible feeling about him being a HC.

Besides... seeing him on the sidelines for us would be like looking at Daniel Tosh masquerading as our HC. They must be related somehow.

Atlanta should be out of the playoffs before NE ?? That seems to play a part with hiring assistant coaches.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I voted for Kyle in the coaching poll so i'm on board with this, especially if it means bringing in Mike to oversee football operations. Primarily because like he said in the above interview with Cowherd, "...well first of all you need a great defense..." Yes you do. Amen.

Simply bringing in a new young offensive HC who can develop Goff and put together a team that can score 30ppg and letting the defensive pieces become a backdrop isn't going to win a Super Bowl fellas. It's not even going to guarantee a playoff appearance. Mike Shanahan understands that.

I get that so many of us are tired of scoring 15 ppg and celebrating FG's but i for one can't stand watching a Rams team with a sieve for a defense and a special teams unit that can't cover a chair. We've seen that before. It's called an offensive league but no one is winning Super Bowls without an elite defense and quality special teams. Fisher had the right idea but was unable to....more of M.Shanahan's words here, "to adjust the offense to make it work."

I'd be thrilled to have the Shanny's come in here and get it right with a balanced philosophy of winning football.