Blow It All Up Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In case you don't know, I'm not trying to predict the future. Just giving a scenario that I would be happy with.
Fire
Jeff Fisher HC
Frank Cignetti OC
Gregg Williams DC

Hire
Hue Jackson HC
Ken Zampese OC
Jim Schwartz DC

As I said, it's 10+ wins and/or playoffs or bust this year. At this point, I think we end up around 8-8 and that's not good enough for me. I'd love to keep Gregg Williams but I don't think he'll want to stick around unless he's made Head Coach. Hue Jackson made the comment that he'd have kept Jim Schwartz as DC if Buffalo had hired him as HC. Schwartz is arguably the best free agent DC on the market. We have all of the pieces for his scheme. Our defense is pretty much perfect for his aggressive, attacking scheme.

I also think the world of Hue Jackson as an offensive mind. He took an Oakland team to 8-8 in his first stint as HC that had no business being that good. He managed to make Jason Campbell look serviceable as a starter and Darren McFadden look like one of the best backs in the NFL. And look what he's done with Dalton this year. Obviously, he's not being given personnel control after the Carson Palmer fiasco...but at the same time, Palmer is proving now that Jackson was right to trade for him.(even if he did give up too much)

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Kenny Britt WR
Nick Foles QB
Akeem Ayers OLB

Restructure
Chris Long DE

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $50 million
Trumaine Johnson - 4 years $28 million
Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $6 million
Will Hayes - 2 years $6 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $3 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $4 million
Brian Quick - 1 year $2.5 million

Made a tough choice and let Mark Barron walk. It's time to let Mo Alexander step up. I like Barron a lot. But we can afford to let him go in order to fortify other parts of the team. I also let McLeod go. Disappointed with all the poor angles from him. Didn't keep Keenum in this mock but if he plays well as a backup, I'd certainly be open to keeping him. I kept Quick on a prove-it deal as I think he's starting to look better and he's a good fit for Hue's offense.

I also cut Foles even though we won't save much money releasing him. I don't think he offers us enough value even as a backup QB.

Free Agency
030314-HOF-Header.jpg

Anquan Boldin WR - 2 years $10 million

Mitchell-Schwartz.jpg

Mitchell Schwartz OG/OT - 4 years $18 million

Drew-Stanton_no-helmet_Cardinals.jpg

Drew Stanton QB - 2 years $6 million

Akiem-Hicks-2.jpg

Akiem Hicks DT - 2 years $4 million

delmas-bortles-pick-6.png

Louis Delmas FS - 1 year $1 million

The Anquan Boldin signing may or may not be popular but with Kenny Britt departing, we need a veteran presence and if there's been one thing we've needed all year, it's been a reliable option on 3rd down. Boldin fills both of those needs. I think he's got at least one good year left in him. His game isn't based on speed.

I think Schwartz has a lot of potential for the team that signs him. Things are dysfunctional in Cleveland and Schwartz is playing RT. Like his brother, Geoff, I think Mitchell is a better OG than RT at the NFL level. He struggles with speed on the edge. I think moving him inside will help him become a much more effective player.

Drew Stanton comes in as our backup QB. He's a good fit for Hue's scheme, he is coming from a similar type of offense with Arians, and he's a guy willing to be content as a backup. He's also a former Michigan State QB which might appeal to our first round pick haha.

Akiem Hicks replaces Nick Fairley. He's an extremely talented athlete that fits the Waufle mold (hoping we can retain him) in terms of size (6'5" 325) who has underachieved a bit thus far in his career but also shown flashes of brilliance. We have arguably the best DL Coach in the NFL. I think he might be able to bring out the best in Hicks who is still a young player.

Louis Delmas is coming off back to back ACL tears and has a lengthy injury history so this is a pure flier but he played well for Schwartz in Detroit. This is a no guaranteed money type of deal on a guy that's coming off an injury. If he makes the team, he'll compete with LaMarcus Joyner and Cody Davis for the starting FS job. If he doesn't, no harm no foul.

Trade
None but I made this section to mention that it is possible that we could trade our first for Stafford if Detroit decides to go another direction. Especially if we hire Hue Jackson. I think he'll be a really big Stafford fan.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #16 - Connor Cook QB Michigan State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGHAEUwvRc

Analysis: Carson Wentz, who accepted his invite to the Senior Bowl, could be the pick here if he impresses in that game. However, until then, I can't put him this high. But he fits the mold of Jackson's scheme and has a lot of similarities to Flacco and Palmer...two QBs that Jackson worked with. Connor Cook also fits Jackson's scheme well, is coming out of a pro style vertically oriented system, and is a three year starter. I gave a very detailed breakdown of him in the 2016 QB thread in Rams Discussion. Why Cook? He has some warts (if he didn't, he'd go top 5) but he has done a number of things at the college level that translate incredibly well to the pro game. He's also an aggressive QB coming from a system that encouraged down-field shots which is similar to Hue's system. Cook displays the ability to throw with anticipation, throw his WRs open, fit the ball into tight windows, hang in the pocket and make throws while under pressure, and maneuver a chaotic pocket. He also absolutely destroys the blitz. He's special in that regard. He reads the blitz as well as anyone I've evaluated at the college level and finds his match-up. When he needs to get the ball out hot, he does so. When he sees that he has a match-up advantage, he goes after it. Cook has inconsistencies in his game (especially in his lower body mechanics), he's streaky, and makes some boneheaded decisions but he's a guy that also is capable of doing things you only see out of veteran QBs (throwing before the WR has made his break into a tight window created by him looking off the safety). There's some Cutler and Eli to his game but you get both the bad and the good. He'll make mistakes as a rookie but he has the potential to be an Eli caliber player in the NFL and I think the odds are good that he becomes at least Cutler good if he lands in the right environment.
NFL Comparison: Eli Manning

Round 2 Pick #16 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSh6yeGjWs8

Analysis: Boyd is the type of WR that falls on draft day. He's not huge (6'2" 200ish) and doesn't have outstanding straight-line speed. However, he possesses great acceleration, outstanding agility, a high level understanding of the game (high football IQ), advanced route running ability, top tier body control, and a good pair of hands. Boyd will drop some easy passes and his motor can run hot and cold as a blocker but he'll make a lot of difficult catches and is excellent at creating yardage after the catch. Like any college player, his route running needs some development but he's very advanced for a college WR and already uses subtle nuances in his route running that you typically only see in veteran NFL WRs. He's also coming from a pro style offense.
NFL Comparison: Keenan Allen

Round 2 Pick #18 - Evan Engram TE Ole Miss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QitbYK_DE

Analysis: Remember what Jared Cook was supposed to be when we signed him? The super athletic slot TE capable of creating mismatches? That's what Engram is. He's what Cook was supposed to be. Extraordinarily athletic although undersized for a traditional inline blocking TE at 6'3" 230. He's made for the new move TE role. Engram's agility and change of directional skills are highly impressive for a guy his size. He runs routes like a WR; very quick in and out of his breaks. Needs some polish but he's a lot more polished in that regard than most TEs. Has the speed to get vertical on defenses. My guess is that he'll time somewhere between a 4.55 and 4.65 40. Impressive YAC skills as well as he's elusive after the catch and strong enough to not go down easily. Good pair of hands and can go up and get the ball. He's just a major mismatch as a move TE. As a blocker, he needs a lot of technical work but he doesn't lack effort or willingness. Will get physical and flashes good blocking skills at times but needs a lot of development in that regard.
NFL Comparison: Jordan Reed

Round 3 Pick #16 - Scooby Wright III ILB Arizona

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent and I have a feeling Gregg Williams will find a way to use his versatile skill-set in the mean time. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple is also worth considering.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 4 Pick #16 - Evan Boehm C Missouri

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDstknJHEw

Analysis: Boehm fits Hue Jackson's power running style. He's a people mover at Center and that's rare. Mauling run blocker that plays through the whistle. Has a serious mean streak. Smart guy and experienced started in the SEC. Only big question is his game is if he has the pass pro skills to be a NFL Center. His athleticism is a bit limited as his feet are pretty average and he doesn't appear to have long arms. Struggles with quicker DTs that can penetrate quickly in the A gap. If he has the pass blocking chops to play in the NFL, he'll be a quality Center as run blocking is no concern.
NFL Comparison: Ben Jones

Projected Starters
QB: Connor Cook
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Anquan Boldin
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Tyler Boyd
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Mitchell Schwartz
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mo Alexander
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love the draft with the exception of Cook. Just not a fan. He's not accurate and IMO his high side is Kyle Orton. So I'll hope the senior bowl plays out and your boy Wentz is the pick.
As for the rest, I just love Hue Jackson hire. Never understood what happened in Oakland.
Oh and if Keenum does well I'd prefer he stay as backup as opposed to Stanton.
All in all my favorite mock so far

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Well at least no Goff, but the Boldin farce still on here so hard to take it seriously. I like Hue Jackson, thought he got a raw deal in Oaktown and of course have to like Zampese. There's some west coast offense stink to the Cinci system but it's more downfield than most in the NFL now, and compared to what we currently have it's light years ahead. Schwartz may be hard to get as he probably has his pick of head coaching gigs. I would keep Foles as the backup, I think that's always been his upside anyway. I'd keep Saffold as a backup too at this point. Also we know enough about Barnes now that there's no reason to bring him back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love the draft with the exception of Cook. Just not a fan. He's not accurate and IMO his high side is Kyle Orton. So I'll hope the senior bowl plays out and your boy Wentz is the pick.
As for the rest, I just love Hue Jackson hire. Never understood what happened in Oakland.
Oh and if Keenum does well I'd prefer he stay as backup as opposed to Stanton.
All in all my favorite mock so far

I think his inconsistency issues are mainly mechanical so I think it's fixable and improvable.

Well at least no Goff, but the Boldin farce still on here so hard to take it seriously. I like Hue Jackson, thought he got a raw deal in Oaktown and of course have to like Zampese. There's some west coast offense stink to the Cinci system but it's more downfield than most in the NFL now, and compared to what we currently have it's light years ahead. Schwartz may be hard to get as he probably has his pick of head coaching gigs. I would keep Foles as the backup, I think that's always been his upside anyway. I'd keep Saffold as a backup too at this point. Also we know enough about Barnes now that there's no reason to bring him back.

Yea, the Boldin farce. Rather than bring in a proven, productive veteran leader at WR, should we just draft all rookies? What's the plan? The WR free agency sucks. I'm projecting Jeffery to get franchised. I'm not spending FA WR money on Marvin Jones or Rueben Randle. You better bet I'll take a short term deal to get Boldin's leadership and reliability on this WR corp.

If Schwartz gets a head coaching gig, there's one heck of a sucker out there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
. I'm projecting Jeffery to get franchised. I'm not spending FA WR money on Marvin Jones or Rueben Randle. You better bet I'll take a short term deal to get Boldin's leadership and reliability on this WR corp.

thumbs_tumblr_lai4k4a9wG1qe0eclo1_500.gif

Stel

Starter
My quick observtions:

Not a fan of Cook. The guy might do okay, but to me, he is a lot like Jake Locker. A guy who looks the part of an NFL QB in every way but has consistently been a sub 60% passer in college. Those guys rarely get more accurate when they get to the NFL

Would rather have Hunter Henry of Arkansas than Evan Engram.

I think Barron is more valuable to this defense than others and I'd really like to keep him. I don't think Alexander will be able to do what Barron does.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure if this is agreement or disagreement. :LOL:
Haha.
I guess the gif didnt load correct. He's shaking his head in agreement!
Boldin is a stud and the routes he runs, he can run till he's 40
Jeffrey is gonna be franchised and the FA WR are product of good/great QB play currently

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My quick observtions:

Not a fan of Cook. The guy might do okay, but to me, he is a lot like Jake Locker. A guy who looks the part of an NFL QB in every way but has consistently been a sub 60% passer in college. Those guys rarely get more accurate when they get to the NFL

Would rather have Hunter Henry of Arkansas than Evan Engram.

I think Barron is more valuable to this defense than others and I'd really like to keep him. I don't think Alexander will be able to do what Barron does.

If Gregg Williams goes, I'm not sure that Barron's role will stay.

I haven't spent much time on Henry yet but I've heard bad things about his blocking. So he'd have to be one seriously talented pass catcher to be better than Engram. Engram has that Jordan Reed/Aaron Hernandez skill-set.

I hated Jake Locker. That's not who I see at all in Cook. Locker didn't see the field well and struggled mightily with his accuracy. Cook struggles with consistency but when he's on, his ball placement is special. He's got the Jay Cutler/Eli streakiness. Ultimately, I think he ends up being one of those two guys. Jay Cutler was also a sub 60% guy in college. As was Matt Stafford. Eli just barely broke 60% (60.8%). Those are the three guys I think he's most similar to.

On top of those two (Stafford and Cutler), Matt Ryan was a sub 60% passer in college (59.9%). As was Carson Palmer (59.1%).

Haha.
I guess the gif didnt load correct. He's shaking his head in agreement!
Boldin is a stud and the routes he runs, he can run till he's 40
Jeffrey is gonna be franchised and the FA WR are product of good/great QB play currently

Ah, great. Totally agree. Staying healthy is my concern with his age. But he's still a 800-1000 yard WR when healthy.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Love it! Cook should be fine especially with Gurley at HB. Now it's just a matter of our beloved owner willing to move on.

Stel

Starter
I hated Jake Locker. That's not who I see at all in Cook. Locker didn't see the field well and struggled mightily with his accuracy. Cook struggles with consistency but when he's on, his ball placement is special. He's got the Jay Cutler/Eli streakiness. Ultimately, I think he ends up being one of those two guys. Jay Cutler was also a sub 60% guy in college. As was Matt Stafford. Eli just barely broke 60% (60.8%). Those are the three guys I think he's most similar to.

Didn't mean to infer Cook was a prospect who plays like Locker. Merely noting that they both look like NFL QBs but neither is particularly accurate. Some guys get more accurate in the NFL. Most don't.

Watch some video of Henry. He blocks just fine and is involved in the Arkansas run game. More importantly, he catches the ball better than anyone on our team.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
There are times I watch Cook and I think he is great. Problem is he has games where he looks horrid. I would rather trade up for Goff or down for Wentz. Just not sold on Cook.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't mean to infer Cook was a prospect who plays like Locker. Merely noting that they both look like NFL QBs but neither is particularly accurate. Some guys get more accurate in the NFL. Most don't.

Watch some video of Henry. He blocks just fine and is involved in the Arkansas run game. More importantly, he catches the ball better than anyone on our team.

Cook is streaky. It's an issue. And that's why he doesn't seem accurate. Because it's not consistent enough. But I think he'll be a good enough QB even with the streakiness to be worth a first round pick. If he cleans up his mechanics and becomes a more consistent QB, he'll be very good.

People had a lot of these same concerns with Cam Newton. His footwork and game have matured and he's become a more consistent passer. Will Cook do the same? Maybe. Maybe not. That's the risk. But if you're drafting a QB outside of the top 10, there are going to be more than minor flaws you have to deal with.

Henry is on my list. But Engram is a pretty exciting guy. I'm higher on Kendricks than a lot of people here as an inline guy. Plus, if Henry really is that good, he won't go mid 2nd.(JMO)

Stel

Starter
I think there is little chance we start a rookie QB next year. Whoever we take will sit at least a year. I'd rather take Wentz in the second than Cook in the first.

Some other observations.

We likely need a WR with an early pick.
If we don't resign Jenkins and Johnson, we'll need to take a CB early.
If we don't resign McLeod, we need to take a FS early.
Depending on what we do with Long and resigning our FAs, we may need a DE early.

A lot of what we do in the draft will depend on who we resign.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there is little chance we start a rookie QB next year. Whoever we take will sit at least a year. I'd rather take Wentz in the second than Cook in the first.

Some other observations.

We likely need a WR with an early pick.
If we don't resign Jenkins and Johnson, we'll need to take a CB early.
If we don't resign McLeod, we need to take a FS early.
Depending on what we do with Long and resigning our FAs, we may need a DE early.

A lot of what we do in the draft will depend on who we resign.

Well, this is what I'd do. I'm not sitting through another year of Foles starting. Fitzpatrick is probably the best FA available for a reasonable price.

Like I said in the mock, there's also a very real chance we would trade for Stafford if we bring in Hue if Detroit makes him available. Either ways, I'm fine with starting a rookie QB if they're NFL ready enough.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Either ways, I'm fine with starting a rookie QB if they're NFL ready enough.

I'm fine with a rookie QB with Hue as HC. He's done really well with Dalton. People forget how average he was the years before Hue took over at OC. I think he'll put our QB in a position to succeed.

Athos

Legend
Wow.

Those feet @ 230Lbs @jrry32 for Engram.

I wouldn't be opposed to using Engram and Kendricks in a two TE set. Hernandez X2 on the field instead of Gronk/Hernandez? He's got the feet, hands, wiggle, and feet for a receiving threat. Undersized TE, but in the Hernandez mold could gash teams.

If I'm feeling really greedy, I'd almost make a grab for Pharoh Cooper in the 3rd or move up.

Yea. All offense. Sue me.