Blalock Visiting Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
They don't really have to be huge dollars to be bank breakers if the Rams are hard against the cap...These guys (almost all on that list) are coming out of their first contract and will be considerably more expensive than a rookie deal..
But some will get replaced by cheaper, younger players. Others may not need to be replaced.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This one concerns me much more than Wisniewski possibly going elsewhere.

You asked yesterday, how many times has Fisher lost his guy. That being said, Fisher too has a history of letting them walk and go elsewhere only to still sign them anyway. Would be nice if he didn't leave without a contract but if the Rams want him they probably think they made an offer Detroit is not going to match. They never seem afraid to let a player walk out....remember Jake Long?

I would be surprised if Blaylock did not sign.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
You asked yesterday, how many times has Fisher lost his guy. That being said, Fisher too has a history of letting them walk and go elsewhere only to still sign them anyway. Would be nice if he didn't leave without a contract but if the Rams want him they probably think they made an offer Detroit is not going to match. They never seem afraid to let a player walk out....remember Jake Long?

I would be surprised if Blaylock did not sign.

This is true. I'm still not sure Blalock ever officially visited though.

Though the familiarity might be such that he may not even need to.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This is true. I'm still not sure Blalock ever officially visited though.

Though the familiarity might be such that he may not even need to.

ohhh, thought he did visit. You might be right on the familiarity part though.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
ohhh, thought he did visit. You might be right on the familiarity part though.
Yeah.

"Hey it's Les. It's been a little while big man! Paul Boudreau's here and wants to say 'Hi.' Here's what we're willing to pay you. Let me know."

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Yeah.

"Hey it's Les. It's been a little while big man! Paul Boudreau's here and wants to say 'Hi.' Here's what we're willing to pay you. Let me know."

Sounds about right.

"Good luck in Detroit, enjoy the sites then I will see you this weekend and we will get this deal done"

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Free-agent offensive guard Justin Blalock visited the Detroit Lions on Thursday and has apparently left without a deal.

i

BlalockA source close to the situation said the Lions' visit with Blalock was good and that the 31-year-old could be a good fit for Detroit. The Lions are weighing moving on from 31-year-old left guard Rob Sims, who is also a free agent.

The source said Blalock has interest from the St. Louis Rams and Tennessee Titans. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has reported Blalock also has plans to visit the Rams.

Blalock, who was a second-round pick by Atlanta out of Texas in 2007, has played in 125 career games with the Falcons. He graded out as the 25th-best guard by Pro Football Focus last season and allowed 20 quarterback hurries and three sacks, according to PFF.

The 6-foot-4, 326-pound Blalock was cut by Atlanta in February, meaning that the team signs him won't have him count against any 2016 compensatory selections.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/15948/a-quick-update-on-ol-justin-blalock

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If the Rams come away with Blalock or Wiz, Barks, Britt, and somehow still afford Fairley, they can draft Cooper and the top C/G in the second...

This team is right on the cusp.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For a second I thought maybe Blalock would end up in Philly, but then I realized that he didn't play for either Oklahoma or Oregon so we are safe!

JRobinson

MiLB
I don't believe that he will come here and sign. I believe he may be asking for a little bit too much. Of course I am a nobody, but if he could not come to terms with Detroit, I wonder what it would take for him to come to terms here?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Free-agent offensive guard Justin Blalock visited the Detroit Lions on Thursday and has apparently left without a deal.

i

BlalockA source close to the situation said the Lions' visit with Blalock was good and that the 31-year-old could be a good fit for Detroit. The Lions are weighing moving on from 31-year-old left guard Rob Sims, who is also a free agent.

The source said Blalock has interest from the St. Louis Rams and Tennessee Titans. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has reported Blalock also has plans to visit the Rams.

Blalock, who was a second-round pick by Atlanta out of Texas in 2007, has played in 125 career games with the Falcons. He graded out as the 25th-best guard by Pro Football Focus last season and allowed 20 quarterback hurries and three sacks, according to PFF.

The 6-foot-4, 326-pound Blalock was cut by Atlanta in February, meaning that the team signs him won't have him count against any 2016 compensatory selections.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/15948/a-quick-update-on-ol-justin-blalock
I'm having trouble getting excited about a 31 year old Guard that graded out as the 25th best Guard in the league. How many teams are there?

PFF is not the be all-end all... but it has some merit and, being 25th likely shows me that he wasn't very good.

Was he injured or something? Anyone?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm having trouble getting excited about a 31 year old Guard that graded out as the 25th best Guard in the league. How many teams are there?

PFF is not the be all-end all... but it has some merit and, being 25th likely shows me that he wasn't very good.

Was he injured or something? Anyone?
And where was David Joseph rated? That's what we call a major improvement.

I don't care what PFF says. Blalock is an above average guard and would be on a team that currently has big holes on the OL.

That's why it's exciting.

Nobody is expecting him to be a Pro Bowler.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And where was David Joseph rated? That's what we call a major improvement.

I don't care what PFF says. Blalock is an above average guard and would be on a team that currently has big holes on the OL.

That's why it's exciting.

Nobody is expecting him to be a Pro Bowler.
Comparing him the Joseph and saying he is an upgrade still isn't moving the needle for me. Using that logic, he's better than a corpse. :sneaky:

And, like I said, PFF isn't "the" definitive source, but it shouldn't be sumarily dismissed as garbage either.

I just don't want to "settle" for another aging, sub-par lineman that we'll be grousing about in October.

You don't think that will happen... I think it just might.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.