Bernie

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
I heard him and I have a different take on what he was saying. I believe I heard that he knows the Rams "won" the trade but until a few of these players become pro bowlers, the Rams haven't really won anything. It's like winning something that has no real value. The value of the Herschel Walker trade 25+ years ago was that Dallas got Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Darren Woodson and others. Dallas won the trade because those players excelled, and helped them get to the playoffs, not because they were just starters. The Rams on well on there way to having a similar boon, simply because Donald is so good.
I don't think it really matters how much subjective "real value" the Rams got, one team got 5 starters the other team got a 3rd string QB/scout team safety.

One team won that trade, the other team lost, it's as simple as that.

WestCoastRam

Legend
You can make an argument that the Jenkins, Brockers and Ogletrees were def worth it. (Jurys out on Robinson and I am not happy with what I'm seeing so far).

But... do we take a guy like Donald without that trade? Hard to argue counterfactuals but many felt that Donald was a luxury pick with our line and what we really needed was oline. I can't say the above players will be perenial pro-bowlers but Donald has a chance to be special. REALLY SPECIAL.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I heard him and I have a different take on what he was saying. I believe I heard that he knows the Rams "won" the trade but until a few of these players become pro bowlers, the Rams haven't really won anything. It's like winning something that has no real value. The value of the Herschel Walker trade 25+ years ago was that Dallas got Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Darren Woodson and others. Dallas won the trade because those players excelled, and helped them get to the playoffs, not because they were just starters. The Rams on well on there way to having a similar boon, simply because Donald is so good.
When he say things like overrated they haven't helped get them to the playoffs no probowlers. He always try to back track so his comments don't come off too harsh but the underlying things confirm how he thinks of this team it's going to be hard for him to praise this team when they start winning

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Bernie doesn't like the Rams... he's a baseball guy!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't see how the Rams aren't the clear winners of that trade. RGIII will more than likely be gone after this year. Which leaves the Redskins with nothing from that trade. The Rams still have building blocks from it. Maybe after the first year when the Skins made the playoffs you could say they won but not now. They didn't win any playoff games and have not made it back since. Clear win for the Rams. Even if they don't make the playoffs this year.

I know. A straight up trade for Brockers is a clear win for the Rams. A straight up trade for Stedman Bailey is a clear win for the Rams. A straight up trade for Alec Ogletree is a win for the Rams. The fact that these guys are going to be key cogs on our run to the playoffs this year whilst Washington will be at the basement and RGIII won't even be on the team next year shows how clear a win it is. We're winning it all this year btw - so see what Bernie says after that.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I think that trade was pretty one-sided. If the Skins want to hang their hat on a postseason one and done from three years ago, let them......I don't think that's what they were trading for though.

Yeah, the wins haven't come yet for the Rams, but they're about to. Along with the individual accolades for certain players that may have been missing. We all knew that trade was done with the long term in mind.

Big Willie

Starter
Bernie doesn't like the Rams... he's a baseball guy!
I am not a Bernie apologist, but I think he likes football and the Rams. I also think he has a point. The Rams won the trade, I don't think he disputes that fact. The Rams front office selected several players and I know many on this board wished we had selected different players in some of the draft positions. If their selections take the development leap we all hope for, the Rams will overwhelmingly win the trade. The question is not whether we won the trade, the question is whether the front office made the right picks for this team and if the coaching staff developed them to their potential.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
How many teams would trade for RGIII?

How many would trade for Brockers, or JJ, or GRob? Those are three players that every team would want.

Just the fact that the Rams got one starter is more than the Redskins got out of it. They got a lot more than Washington did. They definitely won that trade.

Now if RGIII was the best QB in the league? Then it would be arguable.

And lets not forget how the extra picks influenced the decision making. Would they have traded up for Tavon without the extra pick? Looks like he's finally turning out to be quite the weapon.

Would they have drafted Donald if that was their first pick? I believe they were going to go offensive line if that pick at 13 was the only one they had in the first. The trade allowed them to get the offensive lineman they coveted and still pick Donald.

Someone else woulda ended up with a pro bowl DT and our line, which still woulda been better than average, would not be the best in the league like people think they are.

RamWoodie

Legend
I heard him and I have a different take on what he was saying. I believe I heard that he knows the Rams "won" the trade but until a few of these players become pro bowlers, the Rams haven't really won anything. It's like winning something that has no real value...
DING! DING!! DING!!! We have a winner! Big Willie heard the exact same thing I heard! It's like the opening argument in "A FEW GOOD MEN"...IT'S THE EXACT SAME STORY!!!

Bernie chose his words carefully! It's OBVIOUS the Rams won the trade HANDS DOWN!!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Bernie can hug my nuts.

Why does anyone even listen to/read this guy?

He's awful, the internet has exposed him.....

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Honestly he's not the only one. Literally none of our writers have anything good to say, them, like a lot of fans seem less like they're concerned and more like they NEED us to suck. Like if we don't they'll have nothing to talk about anymore.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I mean, could we have done better with those draft picks in hind sight? Sure. But we didn't do bad, and we have 5 starters, and they have none. Rams won, case closed.

Hell, I could have made those picks and we still would have won the trade, that's how good of a deal we got. But don't forget, it was Snead that set the price for that deal. That's where we won.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I mean, could we have done better with those draft picks in hind sight? Sure. But we didn't do bad, and we have 5 starters, and they have none. Rams won, case closed.

Hell, I could have made those picks and we still would have won the trade, that's how good of a deal we got. But don't forget, it was Snead that set the price for that deal. That's where we won.

And it was Snead that moved picks around, up and down the board. He was really active with that draft capital.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
The cat from Washington Bernie had on as a guest says the Rams are just nudging ahead in the trade. Here's the John Keim interview. The RGIII bit is to the end of interview.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It has very little to do with the injury.